Dash cam

Hello everyone! First time posting on the new site. Love the new site, huge thanks to all who had a hand in the transformation. It was undoubtedly a large undertaking.

My question for everyone, who has a dash cam? I remember a post awhile back that a couple had one but seems a long time ago. I just got to thinking of all the crazy people on the roads it might not be a bad idea to at least have something. 

I've seen some recommended as low as $30 and came across an Apeman c450 that was recommended as a good buy for the value. Curious what everyone is using if any and any recommendations. Thanks

Chad Y

07 Neptune

Currently Orlando FL

Chad,

There are a lot of great options out there at really reasonable price points.  I purchased this about a year ago:

AUKEY Dash Cam, 1080P Dashboard Camera Recorder, 6-Lane 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens, Supercapacitor, G-Sensor and Clear Nighttime Recording https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FGL63X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_SjHdEbQAER70Y

After seeing Craig French’s video at the Gathering last year of him being hit by a car changing lanes on the way to the Gathering!  His video made it an open-and-shut case with the State trooper. 

I also purchased a 64GB memory card.  I have been extremely pleased with this unit.  Technology changes, so there’s probably something better out there, but that’s my experience!

Technology has changed a lot since I purchased the one that I am using in my coach which is an older version of Street Guardian Model SGZC12SG back in 2015. I also installed a 128 GB SD Card inside. I have been very happy with the performance and actually have taken some clips from it. One of a near Moose collision in Alaska, another of  some grisly bears meandering across the highway and another of some road rage that took place in VA on my way back to Florida one year.

https://streetguardian.info/sgzc12sg-v2-pro

Edited by Dr4Film

Thanks for replying Scotty and Richard, Scotty I looked on your link and it looks like a nice unit. I really like the shape of it better than most others as well. Man the reviews are all over the place on all of them. Most reviews are excellent, then you read a few that are just terrible. I'll keep researching and decide on something. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Chad Y

07 Neptune

Currently Orlando FL

There are so many choices with pretty much the same nice features but the ones I like are GPS data recording and an active hdmi output so that I can put it on the front TV if we have a family traveling with us on occasion so they can see what I see. Next one will have wifi connectivity too. I use an old iPhone with a camera app to monitor the interior and/or dogs while we are away sometimes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ivan K said:

There are so many choices with pretty much the same nice features but the ones I like are GPS data recording and an active hdmi output so that I can put it on the front TV if we have a family traveling with us on occasion so they can see what I see. Next one will have wifi connectivity too. I use an old iPhone with a camera app to monitor the interior and/or dogs while we are away sometimes.

Ivan, thanks for replying! I had read about GPS recording but hadn't seen about the HDMI output. I guess I've been looking at the cheaper units. I guess anything is better than nothing as long as it's actually a visible picture. Good idea to monitor the dogs from away. We have only had a puppy about 9 months now so just getting used to having one around. Be nice to keep an eye on him while away.

I'll keep looking and try make a decision on one before too long. We usually don't camp much if any in Jan or Feb so I usually try to take care of updates and such in the off time. I'll have one picked out and installed before March, hopefully!!

Chad Y

07 Neptune

Currently Orlando FL

Hi Chad, I also am looking for a dash cam and yes this will be my first time. I have spent quite a few hours watching videos and comparing quality of several cameras. I found this video which was made December 2019 recommending three cams in Low and high price range. It's a bit long but gives excellent information. I found a good source of comparing camera quality has been watching you tube videos of bad drivers and noting usually the camera brand name is in the video at the bottom of the picture. $30 may or may not give you a cam you will be happy with and if you want GPS logging or other features you will have to up the price a bit. If you want, watch the video and pay attention to the VIFO A119 V3.  I don't own one yet but I think after looking at the video quality and features it will be the one I get. Jim  (skip the man scaping commercial at the beginning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWE5oQIS8M

21 hours ago, engine103 said:

Hi Chad, I also am looking for a dash cam and yes this will be my first time. I have spent quite a few hours watching videos and comparing quality of several cameras. I found this video which was made December 2019 recommending three cams in Low and high price range. It's a bit long but gives excellent information. I found a good source of comparing camera quality has been watching you tube videos of bad drivers and noting usually the camera brand name is in the video at the bottom of the picture. $30 may or may not give you a cam you will be happy with and if you want GPS logging or other features you will have to up the price a bit. If you want, watch the video and pay attention to the VIFO A119 V3.  I don't own one yet but I think after looking at the video quality and features it will be the one I get. Jim  (skip the man scaping commercial at the beginning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWE5oQIS8M

Thanks engine 103, looks to be a great video on YouTube. I haven't had a chance to watch it fully yet. We are heading back to NC from FL so it'll be a couple days. Once I get home I'll have some time to look some more. 

Chad Y

07 Neptune

Headed from FL back to NC

I just got a dash cam from my wife for Christmas. She got it off amazon and I haven't looked into it yet.  I recently saw an informative post on using a GoPro as a dash cam and it was pretty interesting.  Wider viewing angle than a lot of dash cams, better stability and durability (think bicycle and motorcycle wrecks), small size, and mounting options.  Maybe look into them, too?

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

I just got a dash cam from my wife for Christmas. She got it off amazon and I haven't looked into it yet.  I recently saw an informative post on using a GoPro as a dash cam and it was pretty interesting.  Wider viewing angle than a lot of dash cams, better stability and durability (think bicycle and motorcycle wrecks), small size, and mounting options.  Maybe look into them, too?

Steven, man I didn't even think of that. I'll look and see how much the GoPro cameras run. I remember someone (maybe Bill G) using an older iPhone in video mode as a dash cam as well. With the GoPro it could serve as other uses rather than just a dash cam. Thanks for replying.

Chad Y

07 Neptune

Headed back to NC

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alan Goolsby said:

Ron Jones of this group was using a GoPro as a Dash Cam. He wrote a very good article about it on the old Yahoo site. Maybe he will respond or post it again.

We are using a GroPro Hero 3+ Black that we picked up reconditioned for $89 off Amazon. We got the ideal from Ron's article. It works great and we love the fact that we can use the free app on our phone to turn it on and off and set the camera view. You can also change the settings from the phone and delete files. Just like Ron we purchased the open frame housing and suction cup mount and have a dedicated charger keeping it plugged in 24/7. You can connect a laptop thru the microUSB to off load files when you like. The GoPro is in the loop mode with a 64GB SD card and will record 4.5 hours at 1080 Super before overwriting the loop. The camera image can be flipped with is nice when using the suction cup mount in the motorhome.

You can download the full article that Ron wrote here:

http://www.aboutrving.com/rv-topics/driving-an-rv/using-a-dash-camera/

• Like 2

One thing to consider, for me, is that many dash cams have an autosave and protect feature to retain current file on impact. In case one forgets or is unable to stop it from being eventually overwritten after a mishap. There are sensitivity settings to prevent saving every bump in the road.  Some have batteries and some have capacitors with enough juice to save the active file in case of a catastrophic power cutoff. Capacitor is supposed to be safer in hot conditions where the camera is often mounted but needs to have an external power source for normal operation. Details details... don't know if any GoPro can do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to just now be getting back to this. Been covered up with work. After my research I think from all I've seen I believe the Viofo A119 v3 is the best bargain for what I need. I believe I will go ahead and order one soon as I get the chance.

I really liked the idea of the GoPro and one of the older versions is cheaper than most dash cams. However I felt like I would probably forget to turn it on where the dash cam can be set to start recording when the motorhome cranks.

Thanks again to all who responded, everyone's thoughts really helped in my search.

Chad Y

I have a Viva camera. It mounts on the dash  and can be used as a camera, a  guard for when you are parked or set to turn on when you have a incident while driving such as a wreck.  It has a memory card that can be downloaded to a computer. It also connects to your phone. I have found it works well. Attached find an example of our 21 seconds of terror when we had a front right tire blowout and come off the rim. Please excuse the language, I was upset.  I think it turned over so you will have to watch upside down. Fortunately we were only going 50 mph . Things happen fast 21 seconds.

Ron S

2004 Monaco Signature 

Lincoln MKT

Wow Ron !  I'm glad yall are OK after that.  Good job maintaining control.  I know if you have a blowout you are supposed to accelerate to regain control then slow down,  but I always fear that in the moment my instincts will be to initially brake while trying to stop.  

After a very close call last year,  driver turned across two lane highway directly in front of us, decided then, a Dash Cam is worth the purchase.

As noted, lot of choices, do what you are comfortable with.

Our choice was the Garmin 50, easy magnet mount, so I switch it between the car and RV.

Safe Travels.

My Lyft driver last night was using an old iPhone with a free app EyesOnYou as a dash com.

I have an abundance of old iDevices already in the motorhome and will try it out on our next trip.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:06 PM, Steven P said:

Steven,

I tried using one  of my GoPro's for a dash camp once in my F-150 and it shut down in about 20 min due to getting over heated in the sun.  I had no problem with them being on top (outside) recording scenic drive videos because I thing the moving air probably cooled them down.  When I pulled the GoPro off of the windshield after it shut down it was so hot I couldn't hold it in my hand.  Of course this was in late April in sunny Florida when I was trying to record all the Love Bugs smushing on the windshield,  Right now I'm using a Rexall dash camera in our coach and when it's in storage I move the camera to my truck for daily driving.  Any camera you do decide may work for you be sure to check the specs as to how much heat it can tolerate.

14 minutes ago, engine103 said:

Chad, I did get the VIOFO A119 V3 and I am super impressed with the video quality. I used it on a trip to Tullahoma Tn.  and back with great video both day and night. I am using https://dashcamviewer.com/ to view the videos. Check out their demo on the web page. Jim

Jim, thanks for the update. Glad you are impressed with the quality of video. I've been looking ocassionally at them on eBay hoping for a good deal. Been covered up with work lately just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. I may try to go ahead and order one tomorrow. Of all the different YouTube videos I've seen and reading different reviews, the Viofo seems to be about the best product for that price point.

How did you mount the unit and wire it in? Was curious how others were mounting them. Thanks again

Chad

Hi Chad, for the first test run I just used Velcro and mounted it above the wiper blades about 8/9 inches above the dash. I will also be ordering two extra GPS mounting bases so I can switch camera between two other cars which I will use the hard wire kit that is available. Jim

9 hours ago, engine103 said:

Hi Chad, for the first test run I just used Velcro and mounted it above the wiper blades about 8/9 inches above the dash. I will also be ordering two extra GPS mounting bases so I can switch camera between two other cars which I will use the hard wire kit that is available. Jim

Thanks Jim, I was thinking maybe mounting somehow underneath the TV pod instead of attaching to the windshield. Didn't know if that would cause a glare or something being it wasn't right at the windshield. I may experiment and see what works without cluttering up the dash.

Chad

• 1 month later...

I wasted money on three cheapo dash cams before deciding to get a good one.  Back in October I bought a Rove R2-4K high-definition (4K).  It has built-in GPS  which I really like.  The video recording is incredible and shows the exact GPS coordinates and speed.  It's very easy to program and use.  I got it on sale at Amazon for about $100, including a 32Gb memory card.  🙂

Joe