Source of Meritor air brake parts for Rockwell axle?

Anyone knows of a good/preferred source for Meritor ADB1560 brake pads and rotor? I'll call Meritor tomorrow to try to identify the disk part number unless someone already knows what it is. Not in our parts list yet. Got a couple of hits for the pads but nothing locally to DFW area yet. I have it already apart so driving it to a repair shop is not a good option plus I want to do it myself, seeing how someone messed the disk up, likely on initial install. Thanks.

I've done a few auto and F250 brakes. I would take the  pads and rotor to a truck parts dealer. You may also call Rockwell with the year of the axle and the diameter of the rotor. The number of lugs and rotor diameter should get it. If Rockwell will give you a part #, you should be able to find someone who will sell it to you cheap. Unless you have more than 100,000 miles on the pads, I would not rebuild the calipers. DO follow the  proper installation on the pads. Normally, I'll make an effort to bed the brakes, but on these large axles, probably not necessary.

Sounds as though you have a damaged rotor that cannot be turned. If so, often times it is just as cheap to get new ones.

Loren

Thanks Loren, I called Rockwell/Meritor today and they were eventually able to identify the part number for me. The only local place I could find with it in stock is NAPA but with my AITA discount it works out to be not much worse than elsewhere plus shipping and wait. That thing is like 70lbs. Yeah, the rotor is toast, cracked at the mounting flange, not the friction surface. Someone dropped an extra washer where it wasn't supposed to be, between the hub and the flange on one lug... I am a second owner and seriously doubt it was ever replaced before my time so I suspect it was like that from the factory. The caliper and sliders/bushings look fine so I think I just leave them, it all moves fine. Just a new hub seal. Yeah, well over 100k on it tho. When I'm done, I'll send the #s to Frank. Thanks for your reply.

I've bought parts from Anything Truck. They have good pricing - even if you buy locally,  its nice to see their prices and know what to expect to pay.

I see they have four Rotors available (different pilot diameters) for your ADB 1560. They are all priced around $260 to $300, except one is a special order at $637. I can guess which one your coach needs 😁$$$

Shipping is not too bad (I checked the cost to ship to rotors to Orlando FL, and it was under $90)

https://www.anythingtruck.com/SRCH.html?Search=Meritor%20ADB1560

Edited by CountryB

Thanks Mike, according to Meritor and based on a model number that luckily was still on a plate still attached to the housing, the rotor number is 3218K167. I did check the website you mentioned but then got it locally today for less, when including shipping cost to TX. NAPA next day pickup with truckers discount $322+T...  I figured that way I have a chance to return it if the part# was wrong. I am getting pads from Van Horn, when they arrive with ground shipping, almost half price compared to local source. May take a week to get them from NJ but there's never shortage of other things to do in the meantime. Tomorrow I get a chance to practice axle removal as you described earlier, funny how timely it was as I never planned on it at that time 😀

Mission accomplished. New rotor, pads and seals installed. This is some back breaking big boys stuff. Besides that, very doable with proper tools. Here are the part numbers for this specific Rockwell drive axle model with disk brakes.

Rear seal National #370003A 

Pads # KIT15625PM

Rotor # 3218-K-167

Outer bearing cone Timken 590 + cup

Inner bearing cone Timken 594a +cup

9E9D9D54-61B3-41B4-83FD-758DC8910F3D.jpg

2AFB1362-A072-439D-BD53-55E1F4F81270.jpg

AB59E712-87DA-4E2D-8BB4-38B5C85F1A7C.jpg

I see the pads have backing plates. We're the backing plates imbedded or glued to the pads? Did you use grease on the back of the pad where it seats on the caliper?

Normally we use grease to prevent squealing. It is red and works well if you don't use too much.

Loren, the frictions are glued to the backing plates, there are no rivets or anything else mechanical to keep them attached. The originals were the same. Honestly, it did not even cross my mind to grease the backing plates, I do it on passenger cars and trucks but these are just so massive and tight with spring mechanism to hold them in the cast grooves and Meritor manual does not call for it either. The diagonal movement is supposed to be checked to be no more than 0.015 each direction so hardly any movement. BTW, the pads weigh more than 20lbs per axle.

F043D9AE-149A-4E55-ACCC-3E3A8CDF3A53.jpeg