AC replacing gaskets

jacwjames

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Ray, if you don't have the sheet metal between the bottom of the AC and the top of the rectangle duct then what contains the cold air to get it into the duct? It would not be very efficient without something in between.

Yes it would Richard,  but when you pull down your wooden grill / trim to change the filter I suppose you can see that duct pictured above,  what I see is a sheet metal panel separating in & out side .   Both front and back ACs are the same and it looks factory not rigged up.   Maybe I can get a picture.

I thought mine was normal and you guys had the odd ones, now looks like mine is the odd one.  

Without seeing the foil wrapped duct work when you lower the filter holder does that mean your coach does not have any ducts running the length of the coach or did they use smaller round ducts to direct the cold air similar to the ones used for heat?

Edited by Dr4Film

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Without seeing the foil wrapped duct work when you lower the filter holder does that mean your coach does not have any ducts running the length of the coach or did they use smaller round ducts to direct the cold air similar to the ones used for heat?

I have the 2 ducts running front to back same as others.  What I don't have is the short duct running left to right.   I have 2 openings one for the  left and right ducts.   Those 2 openings are behind the gray and white enclosure in my picture     The enclosure creates sort of a plenum / chamber that the air is dumped into and exits into those 2 openings which connect to the main ducts.

It will require removing about a dozen screws to see behind the gray & white panel,  maybe later.

WIN_20201123_09_01_09_Pro.jpg

Edited by Ray Davis

OK, your system is different even though it is only 1 year older.  2 parallel ducts that run forward and back.

This is probably a more efficient system as the AC unit can push more air with this configuration with less chance of air recirculation or loss. The only thing your would have to make sure is that there is a good seal between the roof seals and the AC unit and the cross piece separating the cool from return air.  Other Advantage is that you have better access to the evaporator coil.  On mine I can barely see the coil let alone clean it. 

Guest Ray Davis

An advantage I see in your setup is that you probably get use of the entire filter where I only use 1/2.  When that 1/2 gets dirty I rotate it 180 and use the other 1/2.           Air flow is pretty much limited to that part of the filter directly under the a/c intake opening.

Mine is a stupid way and I have considered reworking the panel / wall, what ever it's called to allow a more air even flow over the filter .

My guess is Monaco changed to my setup to save money and time.  A small advantage is when replacing an air cond there is no lining up the 2 ducts and chance            crushing the lower one.              

That’s a very different arrangement than mine. You can see the row of vents down my centerline. And the duct running straight through the roof aperture.
That duct apparently runs all the way from front to back and all 3 ACs dump into it. 
So the AC intake draws air around the duct and up into the AC. Then the outlet blows down into the duct. 
One of these days I’ll snake a camera in there and see what’s happening inside. If I close off two the forward vents, it builds a lot of pressure at the front of the duct, but  doesn’t push nearly as much air back down the duct as I think it should. 
Cheers

Walter

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by wamcneil

Guest Ray Davis

Are we sure they even had a factory or were these things built in the guys backyards under a shade tree .   :rofl:

I never knew that Monaco ever had a duct down the center as it appears Walter's coach has.

Ben, no wood grill ?   What do you have ?  Is yours more like Jim's & Richard's under the cover?

My coach has a duct down the center from front to back which basically connects all of the A/C units and disperses the air evenly throughout although I do not have the small ducts in the center. Mine branch off to each side also. Sorry I don’t have a picture handy to share. 

Edited by Chargerman

Our duct looks like Walters above the diffusers, front to rear and a fat hose extension into front overhead cabinets to cool the electronics. We usually only run the center unit at night to keep the noise away and once that's not enough, it's time to move north.

21 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I have the 2 ducts running front to back same as others.  What I don't have is the short duct running left to right.   I have 2 openings one for the  left and right ducts.   Those 2 openings are behind the gray and white enclosure in my picture     The enclosure creates sort of a plenum / chamber that the air is dumped into and exits into those 2 openings which connect to the main ducts.

It will require removing about a dozen screws to see behind the gray & white panel,  maybe later.

WIN_20201123_09_01_09_Pro.jpg

My AC Duct is only one not two and it is one continuous duct that runs the length of the coach from the bedroom closet to the captains chairs at the front. I have nothing that goes to either side of the AC's. The cold air vents are located directly under the duct work and are spaced to cool the coach uniformly in each area.

Kind of interesting of the differences between how they installed the roof AC system.

21 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

An advantage I see in your setup is that you probably get use of the entire filter where I only use 1/2.  When that 1/2 gets dirty I rotate it 180 and use the other 1/2. Air flow is pretty much limited to that part of the filter directly under the a/c intake opening.

Actually, I use two filters on my setup, the first is a fibrous course one which catches the larger stuff. Then I use a 3M Filtrete 1900 filter that takes care of the smaller animal and pollen type airborne stuff. I also had a custom noise suppressor built for each AC which has reduced the AC noise by ~ 50%.

Old AC Vent-04.JPG

New AC Muffler-09.JPG

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1