Fuel prices

Guest Ray Davis

Posted back in December that Diesel would be $3.00 by summer, up from $2.25. Paid $2.79 couple weeks ago on way home in Georgia and it’s still the same. 

Haven’t used a truck stop in 13 years, ever since Pilot bought FlyJ. GasBuddy has saved me Thousands of $s and Sam’s Club usually has the lowest price plus their credit card gives 5% back.
I did get the TSD card but have yet to find it cheaper and no 5% back.

I often fill up in K City or Lincoln NB and Sam’s price is $2.36 and $2.41 plus 12 cents back. TSD is $2.42 and $2.64 plus a couple cents, respectively.

3 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Posted back in December that Diesel would be $3.00 by summer, up from $2.25. Paid $2.79 couple weeks ago on way home in Georgia and it’s still the same. 

Haven’t used a truck stop in 13 years, ever since Pilot bought FlyJ. GasBuddy has saved me Thousands of $s and Sam’s Club usually has the lowest price plus their credit card gives 5% back.

I often fill up in K City or Lincoln NB and Sam’s price is $2.36 and $2.41 plus 12 cents back. TSD is $2.42 and $2.64 plus a couple cents, respectively.

This is what I've done, use Gas Buddy and plan my fuel stops.  I just checked Gas Buddy and the Sam's close to me has fuel for $2.65, the Walmart near me is the same price $2.65, the large truck stops along I40 near me are at $2.99.  This is pretty typical spread on pricing. 

2 hours ago, Ivylog said:

TSD is hit & miss since they have been using TA/Pilot.  Sams/Costco are great when you can find them and the challenge of working your way through some of them can be entertaining.  A lot of fuel stations are not designed with a 45' coach in mind.

Different strokes for different folks...

I've had great success with TSD for a few years now, but then I also plan my stops around fueling at TA or Petro, which currently have the best prices with TSD.  I also like that these are designed for big rigs and primarily on major interstates, so with a toad I can easily get in and out. The downside is the closest TA is about 45 miles from my home base.

I've personally not had good success with Gas Buddy being accurate.  More than once I've gone out of my way to find the price on Gas Buddy being outdated, and higher than what I would have paid had I stayed on my path. (This has primarily happened in Mississippi and Alabama, where we frequently travel.) Gas Buddy relies on crowd sourcing for pricing info, which works great unless no one has been there lately to update prices.

Sam's in the Atlanta area has good prices, usually comparable to what I can find at TA/Petro, but all of the Sam's Clubs / Walmarts / Murphy Oil in my area are difficult to get in and out of pulling a 40' coach with a 20' toad.  I do like that many of the Sam's Clubs / Walmarts / Murphy Oil offer diesel that has lower levels (<5%) or no biofuels.  I wish they were easier to get in and out of, because there's a Sams Club about 2 miles from where I store my coach.

I suspect preferences have a lot to do with where you live, how you travel, the size of your coach, and whether you pull a toad.

The cool thing is that with a little effort, there are lots of options to NOT pay advertised prices for diesel. Like most  things in life, one size rarely fits all...

During our 10 years full timing i used the following information process for determining the eventual fuel purchase .

Looked at the prospects on google earth, and evaluate the in/out access. Once a location was selected. i CALLD that entity. No surprises.  

@Skier013 No I bumped it up as many travelers are not aware of the TSD benefit. Download their free app, no purchase or card necessary. Then, check fuel prices in your area. It only applies to diesel. We were in Amarillo yesterday and diesel at Sam's Club was $2.71/gallon. I fueled up at the T/A down the road for $2.44/gallon. Pump price at the T/A was $315.9. That's a savings of 71 cents a gallon! and a savings of 27 cents/gallon over Sam's.  No other discount can compare IMO.....Dennis

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 8:47 PM, Dr4Film said:

I will be filling up at a Shell truck Stop at exit 10 on I-26 East bound in South Carolina just south of the border from North Carolina for $1.95 a gallon based on Gas Buddy.

I live near exit 1, that is where I regularly fill up and they’re price is quite good. 

You live in beautiful country Jim

I drove by that Shell truck stop yesterday as we traveled from Savanah north then

I 26 North west to Ashville .

Lots of road work and expansion all along that stretch. 

We are now at the KOA east for two day's. 

Enjoy the Carolinas 😄