Kit to replace Intec mirror mounted side cameras

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered and promptly received a camera kit from Paul.  Today I installed it with one small glitch, and it had nothing to do with the kit.  It is complete even includes new hardware, and is completely plug and play!  We did it without removing the driver mirror easily, the wire slipped out and in with no problem, but on the passenger side we had to remove the mirror to get a better purchase on the wire and move some connectors around a bit.  The new cameras are fantastic, clear, nice resolution, small, unobtrusive.  Unfortunately it now shows how much the rear camera needs improvement.  Any ideas on that?  Thanks Paul for a great replacement kit for the side cameras!

My rear camera still works, but I now see that it needs an update.

I did help @Scotty Hutto update the body mounted side cameras on their Diplomat, so got to play with some different cameras.

I do plan to do a similar plug and play update for the rear camera.

• 2 weeks later...

One member gave me some feedback on the difficulty they go had getting all the wires into one of the arms.

I did another camera for them by cutting most of the cable out. It certainly makes for a shorter cable, but more work to do with the additional cutting and splicing/soldering.

C03C1DD1-B8F9-41E9-8682-375D10A608C1.jpeg

FB091BDE-5143-4695-A2B2-472D980D440B.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Paul, I am replacing my system, the rear and side cameras and monitor.  I'm going with a split screen quad 10 inch monitor.  My side view cameras are mounted inside the mirrors, they are not exterior hanging below the mirror.  I have no desire to keep or replace them.  I will go with new surface mounted side cameras.  I have the old Sony camera in the rear which is going in the garbage along with the current monitor in the dash.  My camera selector switch died and the boys in Coburg say it is no longer available.  So, I need two side view cameras and a rear view and the where-with-all to re-use the 6 pin connector wiring on the old rear Sony camera.  I can splice onto the existing wiring, that's no problem, if that will work.  If you can help me with that, great, I'd rather give the money to you.  I'm hoping to be able to mount the new rear camera in the same factory housing as the Sony.  Trouble is I have no idea yet how to affix the housing to the rear cap.  Someone at some time had gone in a fiddled around with something and the housing was held in place with silicone.  The mounting hardware can not be accessed from the outside.  Not sure if I can get to the rear cap from the inside the coach through the wardrobe closet.  By the way, do you drive with that monitor sitting where it is on the dash?  I'm in the process of trying to get a monitor to fit somehow without obstructing my view while driving.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Hi Woody,

I drive with the monitor and other devices like that. I do not find it obstructs my view to any noticeable degree. I try not to get that close to vehicles in front of me, and there are gaps between the screens to see immediately in front if necessary.

There are various video switches/combiners available on Amazon that work well. Take a look at @Scotty Hutto’s camera update thread. 

On our 2005 Signature access to the rear camera is from outside. A plate screws off from the rear outside and our camera is mounted to that.

If you see silicone, you likely have to slice through it to remove a plate, then clean it up and use silicone to reinstall it.

Can you post some pictures of yours?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My camera housing was installed before the cap was installed or it was installed prior to the interior being finished.  There are no fasteners on the outside of any type.  Your set up is similar to mine except my camera was held in place with plumbers metal tape, the kind with the holes in it. ????  There were two "T" type bolts that were used to keep it in place using two small holes in the fiberglass cap.  Today I will try and see if I can get to this area going through the back of the closet.  I haven't quite figured out how to get pictures off my iphone onto my PC.  Is there a small rear view camera that you would recommend?  I really like those side view cameras/housings installed on Scotty's rig.  My old Sony camera is model (?)CB-RV2MH, there is a letter I believe before the "CB" but it is hard to read.  If that helps about the size of the housing, but the camera/air port look almost exactly like yours, it's just not flush mounted.  I just need a camera I can put in that housing.  One last thing, so how did I get the housing off if no access to fasteners?  The T bolts appeared to have been glued on with some sort of adhesive that failed.  Silicone was holding the housing in place.  In your opinion does it make a difference in camera quality between CMOS or CCD technology?  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Paul, after talking with you I checked into the BOYO monitor and cameras.  Pulled the trigger on their 9 inch DVR monitor and a camera for the rear view.  Of all places, Wal-Mart sells BOYO and the lowest price with free delivery.  Seems like the only thing I can't find a lower price on is  the RAM mount stuff.  RAM is pretty proud of their stuff, but it does the job.

• 8 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, pwhittle said:

Hi George,

Pictures are good now. Thanks for letting me know.

I've sent you a PM with my phone number. Please give me a call when convenient.

Paul

PWhittle,

I have a 2009 Dynasty with the three piece mirrors and the side view cameras are mounted in the lower portion of the mirror.  My left side camera is not working.  I have checked all connections I can find and all seems good.  Are there replacements and a way to replace those cameras that are mounted in the mirrors that you are aware of?

Daryl

PWhittle,

I have a 2009 Dynasty with the three piece mirrors and the side view cameras are mounted in the lower portion of the mirror.  My left side camera is not working.  I have checked all connections I can find and all seems good.  Are there replacements and a way to replace those cameras that are mounted in the mirrors that you are aware of?

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

Not that I am aware of, but I would call Valvec and talk to them.

I suspect there is a connection in the arm as well as in the generator bay behind the mirror.

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2021 at 9:40 AM, woodylmiller said:

Paul, after talking with you I checked into the BOYO monitor and cameras.  Pulled the trigger on their 9 inch DVR monitor and a camera for the rear view.  Of all places, Wal-Mart sells BOYO and the lowest price with free delivery.  Seems like the only thing I can't find a lower price on is  the RAM mount stuff.  RAM is pretty proud of their stuff, but it does the job.

Woody, I have a 2009 Dynasty as well, I assume you found the access panel in the back closet to get to the wiring and back of housing that holds the camera.  

My camera housing was only held in place with silicon as well......they did have one machine screw fastener installed, into nothing..............

How did the BOYO cameras work out?  Did you splice into the existing 6 pin Sony cable?

I just received a new 6 pin sony pigtail as I think the dash-end plug is bad and was going to attempt to splice in on.  The very small white coax type cable in the middle fo the bundle looks like a challenge!

I have a new 60 ft sony cable, however running back to rear of the coach would be a chore, trying the new end first.  I'm really interested in improving the rear camera resolution and display, the side and interior cameras don't do much in my opinion, the mirrors give me a much better view. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Ron P., 2004 Monaco Executive. 

I saw your information about the cameras on the mirrors.  I am interested in swapping mine out. 

I am currently on the road in  California from Delaware.   I will be back in Delaware about the middle of July. 

Questions:

Can cameras be installed without removing the mirrors?

I have the Aladdin system.  Based on what I read, it plugs directly into the system without modifications.  Is that correct?

They are color?

Any other information would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Ron Powers,  201-214-4119 

Hello.

Ron P., 2004 Monaco Executive. 

I saw your information about the cameras on the mirrors.  I am interested in swapping mine out. 

I am currently on the road in  California from Delaware.   I will be back in Delaware about the middle of July. 

Questions:

Can cameras be installed without removing the mirrors?

I have the Aladdin system.  Based on what I read, it plugs directly into the system without modifications.  Is that correct?

They are color?

Any other information would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Ron Powers,  201-214-4119 

Hi Ron,

Yes, the cameras can typically be installed without removing the mirrors, but sometimes it is easier to remove the mirrors to get the old cameras out as the old cameras block direct access to the screws that latch the wedges into place. 

A ball end hex wrench may make it easier to get the wedges out.

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, pwhittle said:

Hi Ron,

Yes, the cameras can typically be installed without removing the mirrors, but sometimes it is easier to remove the mirrors to get the old cameras out as the old cameras block direct access to the screws that latch the wedges into place. 

A ball end hex wrench may make it easier to get the wedges out.

Paul

I want to but some cameras. 

201-214-4119,  Ron Powers 

How do I arrange,?

• 6 months later...

I have been looking into other cameras that would make for an even better upgrade than the original kit which I have been happily using for a couple of years now.

After buying and trying various cameras, I am pleased to let you know that I have completed the first set of Velvac Mirror Mounted Side Camera Updates 2.0!

I am not sure what the original black and white Intec Cameras were, but the original upgrade kit cameras are 800x533 pixels (520 lines) and were a great improvement over the originals.

The V2.0 cameras are 1280x720P, with a narrower field of view so what we want to see takes up more of the picture.

i also redesigned the mount so that the camera is tilted up 30 degrees and there is a significant reduction in the light in the camera lens from the headlights. (Full disclosure: I have not driven the coach in the day or night to see how much the improvement is).

Here is a view with the original update in the left, and the V2.0 update on the right.

3D48B04A-9FB6-490A-AC53-92D274327B94.thumb.jpeg.32bf34ca4cde8d0c9ea14ca9d961900f.jpeg

Here is the image on the 10” Aladdin monitor I used to replace the original Sony “ monitor.

F0EAB79D-B4A5-4C90-9101-69A0805C910A.thumb.jpeg.fd0c20171796283c9fde9431b24c88a9.jpeg

The new camera mount

22BEEBD4-CAC8-4BE7-BBC1-634F4200CE21.thumb.jpeg.fff429834c03e237981f61f46b2454bf.jpeg

Both cameras updated.

FB1C3D22-C004-42F7-BC71-4E99688F160C.thumb.jpeg.cf080566c4ba088e4f3519182effe425.jpeg

I really need to update my rear camera now. I am still using the original Sony camera from 2005.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle

Paul,  Now you're making me get in line to upgrade my cameras but I need to get a decent monitor first in order to take advantage of the higher resolution.  My biggest gripe about the rear camera is sun glare on the lens.  On a cloudy overcast day I have a good image.  We may need to think about some sort of sun shade for the rear camera or modifying the camera housing or maybe a polarizing filter in front of the camera lens.