This is just a guess on my part but I think before wide spread use of the CAN (Controller Area Network) bus in motorhomes the manufactures were reluctant to tap into the RPM signal from the ECM (Engine Control Module). It would require a dash instrument fitted with a pulse translation module designed for the particular ECM in use. It would also expose the manufacture to liabilities if a wiring error caused a fault in the ECM. After the CAN bus and dash instruments capable of interfacing to the protocol became available, tapping into the RPM from the ECM was practical. That may be why coaches like Van's have an ECM that gets it RPM information from a sensor on the engine and the dash gets it RPM signal from the alternator.

I’d like to clarify.... rebuild vs replace...

Replace - you all are saying DON’T buy a Brand “X” to replace a Leece Nevil unit?  Buy an exact like kind type correct?

rebuild - send my unit off to be rebuilt bs buy & core it?

I am limited with options in my area...  

Just to clarify

AJ Electric sells a direct fit replacement with warranty.

Rebuild you are at the mercy of a rebuilder, and if your options are limited you can take the change with a rebuilder and good luck if you get strander away from home ot if you get stranded away from home AJ Electric is a place that you can depend on.

Divided opinions here, some they have one time experience with a rebuilder, some they deal with a same rebuilder because their business and have good experience.

I worked 40 years and I can tell you that most of the rebuild alternators are not rebuild to the factory specs. Brushes, bearings and paint is not what a remanufactured should be.

My own opinion? They are junk

Your choice

2 hours ago, armstrong1869@gmail.com said:

I’d like to clarify.... rebuild vs replace...

Replace - you all are saying DON’T buy a Brand “X” to replace a Leece Nevil unit?  Buy an exact like kind type correct?

rebuild - send my unit off to be rebuilt bs buy & core it?

I am limited with options in my area...  

In my case they bought an exact replacement and it worked fine.  But I did tell them I thought an exact replacement was the safest way to go, given all the comments on the forum.