‘96 Windsor Koller 7 kw LP gas gen won’t stay running

Testdepth

New to me Windsor. Ran the genset for over an hour when testing and it ran about an hour on our first trip. Now it starts, runs 20-30 seconds and dies. It will restart but only fun a few seconds on subsequent starts. Really sounds like it’s running out of fuel. The tank is completely full.

The only thing between the tank and the carb is a solenoid valve on the carb inlet. Is it possible there is a filter in that solenoid valve?

Anyone run into an issue like this? Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mike

Well, I know nothing about Koehler but do you by chance have a remote auto start for the gen that could be shutting it down? It happens to me when I forget and use the wrong switch and it shuts down because batteries are already charged. If not, then ignore this.

10 hours ago, Testdepth said:

New to me Windsor. Ran the genset for over an hour when testing and it ran about an hour on our first trip. Now it starts, runs 20-30 seconds and dies. It will restart but only fun a few seconds on subsequent starts. Really sounds like it’s running out of fuel. The tank is completely full.

The only thing between the tank and the carb is a solenoid valve on the carb inlet. Is it possible there is a filter in that solenoid valve?

Anyone run into an issue like this? Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I had a '94 Dynasty with that same generator and IMHO they are junk.  Make sure the oil level is full.  It will shut down if the oil is low.  These are air cooled generators that do not get enough air flow to keep them cool, especially if you are not running down the road.

LP has oil added to it to lubricate the pumps that are used to fill LP tanks.  If you happen to get LP from a place whose tank is low on LP you can get an abundance of oil pumped into your tank when you have it filled.  That oil will clog up the fuel regulator and caused me to have the same problem that you are having.  Remove the fuel regulator (it's somewhere on the generator - my generator was at the front of my coach under a sheet metal cover that had to be removed to get at it).  Carefully take the fuel regulator apart and make notes or take photos of how it goes back together and be careful not to damage the gasket.  Clean every part and the inside of the regulator case with carburator cleaner or brake cleaner, reassemble an reinstall and this should resolve your problem.  While you are working on the generator I would check the spark plug and clean or replace it if needed.  If you have not already done so, check and clean the air cleaner and use some carburator cleaner on the carburator as well.  Feel free to contact me off-line.  I believe that I have 1 or 2 new exhaust gaskets that I can send to you.

In my experience these generators were okay to use while travelling down the road to keep the roof A/C units running and that is about it as they are too tempermental and noisy to be used for boondocking.  I ended up buying a good sized gasoline portable generator that I would keep in the enclosed car trailer that I usually towed behind my coach to use while boondocking.  Good luck.

Bill C Jr

'94 Monaco Dynasty 38' (previously owned)

• 8 months later...

In the end it appears that your comment on oil is likely the culprit. If I fill the tank completely full, (till liquid comes from the vent) I have the problem with the genset and cook too. If I only fill to 3/4 every thing is fine. 
I ended up changing the filter in the solenoid valve and the main regulator in the process. I also ended up pulling the genset out and doing a full cleanup of all the fins which had a lot of dirt packed in. Also discovered the genset is set up to accept liquid propane if you wanted to do that.

this winter I will figure out how to clean out the tank or replace it.