Tire Valve Stems

Woody O

I though I would update what I decided to do to get away from tire minders attached to braided hoe on the air stems.  I purchase a kit from Your Tire Store  part # DL4M Duallyvalve Kit and then I bought a shorty valve stem at the local tire store and had the shorty installed on the tag axle tire and the kit put on the dual tires.  The kit includes a stem support in the outer wheel for  the inner valve stem.  Now, I can remove the tire minder and add a pounds or two of air all from outside the tires. Happy with the results.

IMG_9771.jpg

IMG_9773.jpg

IMG_9403.JPG

Guest Ray Davis
On 4/19/2021 at 7:26 PM, cbr046 said:

Now here's the rub - lug nut socket arrived today when I discovered my 4 ft breaker bar is really 3 ft.  *IF* the lug nuts could be loosened with 500 ft lbs that would 170 lbs on the end of that bar.  That's 20 lbs more than me! 

Blue Bell ( ice cream ) will fix that problem.  😋  Since that may take a day or two get a piece of pipe that will slide over the handle of your break over, presto all    of the leverage you need.  Make the pipe long enough and you'll only need one finger.  LOL.

5 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

Blue Bell ( ice cream ) will fix that problem.  😋  Since that may take a day or two get a piece of pipe that will slide over the handle of your break over, presto all    of the leverage you need.  Make the pipe long enough and you'll only need one finger.  LOL.

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. ”

Archimedes

FWIW, Just a reminder to check what a shop does if they work on the wheels with extenders and balance masters.  Some how tech didn't line up all the holes right and jammed the stem+extender into the balance master and within a few miles down to the road the TPMS caught the air leak from the broken connection caused by the stress of being jammed into the balance master.  New extender, new valve stem, realign the slots... 2.5 hours side of the freeway...  Another time a different shop did some work on the oil hubs and again the tech didn't align the holes when reassembling, and he was a little teed off when I told him he had to fix it (reposition the outer dual) before I moved out of the service bay. (He had planned his day ending work 10 minutes before closing time and now he had to stay 30 minutes late on his own dime... Shop manager agreed...) Maybe I should think about going to a 180 degree bend extender vs the braided extensions if the techs can't seem to align the slots...

PXL_20210315_202336862.jpg

I went with Borg Tire Stems ALL around for 6 tires. All are plenty long enough and pointed in the correct direction making it easy to add or adjust air and install the tire sensors. If there is ANY leak it has to be the tire, valve core or the seal of the stem at the wheel. Haven't had any leaking problems since they were first installed in 2010. Plus I always use reputable tire shops like Josam's in Orlando for all of my tire work.

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

I went with Borg Tire Stems ALL around for 6 tires. All are plenty long enough and pointed in the correct direction making it easy to add or adjust air and install the tire sensors. If there is ANY leak it has to be the tire, valve core or the seal of the stem at the wheel. Haven't had any leaking problems since they were first installed in 2010. Plus I always use reputable tire shops like Josam's in Orlando for all of my tire work.

Richard,  I wonder if others are noticing that Borg is a stem not an extender that others keep using.  Like you,  I bought and had Borg stems installed yrs ago.        That's when my leaks although mostly very small leaks but still annoying,  disappeared.

In my opinion any extension is another place to leak.    Borg stems are specially shaped to bring the end right out where you want it,  plus they have a rubber plug    specially shaped to fit our Monaco wheels.  This plug / donut is to stabilize the stem from the inner dual. It's not apparent but there is a hole in the grommet for the stem to pass through in the picture below.

DLMONOCO Oval Stabilizer 2-7/8in x 1-7/8in Qty 1BORG Equipment & Supply Corp. Inc. - Automotive Equipment & Supplies (yourtireshopsupply.com)

Call or chat and ask for the Monaco dually kit.  Looks like it's about $120,   cheap for peace of mind.

• 1 month later...

I have a tst507 for my fifth wheel with 4 sensors. I'm thinking about buying 4 more and using it on the Monaco. Maybe 8 more and using them on the silverado we're planning on towing.

Steer tires I can get them on, no problem.

Duals have the braided extensions and I can get them on there.

The tag though, the valve stem 90's and faces away and I see no reasonable way to install them. Can that valve come out towards me? I was thinking of asking them to do that when I get tires.

Will all this work?

I had Wheelmaster SS braided extensions (I bought the "best" or so I thought) on my inner dual tires and they both failed.  Before I noticed it the tires deflated and came loose on the rims.  I had a heck of time getting them reseated so they'd hold air - it's a good thing I've got 19.5" diameter wheels.  With the tires, they only weigh about 100 lbs apiece.  I will never use the braided extensions again.  The braid is only decorative.  The tube inside is fragile and can break without seeing it.  I replaced my with Wheelmaster's 2 ply rubber hoses.  I think they'll work much better and last a lot longer.  If it was me, I'd throw away all of those braided extensions before they have a chance to leak.

Edited by Moonwink
  • Like 1