Rear tires rubbing '98 Dynasty

Well, I let this one die on the vine didn't I? Sorry about that. Here is an update on the saga of my rubbing tires...

The mechanic ended up installing 1/2" spacers on the rear, which eliminated the rubbing and didn't seem to cause any additional issues.

However, fast forward to this year, I had an air leak that was caused by the drier failing. Somewhere along the life of my RV someone replaced the drier with a non-holset drier. I installed a new governor and a rebuilt Holset drier. With the air leak fixed and a higher air pressure in the system, I noticed the RV is riding higher than it had been. I have not tried removing the spacers (yet), but I am thinking the rubbing issue I was experiencing may be due to the ride height being too low.

Thoughts??

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/27/2022 at 1:00 PM, Eddy B said:

Well, I let this one die on the vine didn't I? Sorry about that. Here is an update on the saga of my rubbing tires...

The mechanic ended up installing 1/2" spacers on the rear, which eliminated the rubbing and didn't seem to cause any additional issues.

However, fast forward to this year, I had an air leak that was caused by the drier failing. Somewhere along the life of my RV someone replaced the drier with a non-holset drier. I installed a new governor and a rebuilt Holset drier. With the air leak fixed and a higher air pressure in the system, I noticed the RV is riding higher than it had been. I have not tried removing the spacers (yet), but I am thinking the rubbing issue I was experiencing may be due to the ride height being too low.

Thoughts??

Personally, I wouldn't bother removing the spacers unless they're causing a rubbing issue on the outside when the air is dumped.
You'd likely still have a minor rubbing issue as the suspension moves, and 1/2" on a straight axle isn't enough to do any harm to bearings or anything else.

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2023 at 6:53 AM, Mike Farquharson said:

Hi I am having the same proublem can you tell me the supplier for the spacers and lug studes.

Thanks Mike

Mike, take a look at EddyB's post at the top of the page, posted August 27th....maybe your drier is kaput too?