VIP Smart wheel issue

Brett63

Ok, I just probed the wires and here is what I got.

J1 25 - Acc on no buttons pushed  5.185V       Hi/Lo pushed 3.224      Intermittent pushed   3.230

J1 24  - Acc on no buttons pushed   5.015      Hi/Lo pushed  .875      INT pushed   1.217

On the steering wheel

Blue wire tests......acc on 5.66, (Hi/lo...3.11)  (intermittent 3.11)   (Off  1.82)   (Washer 2.34)

Violet wire tests....Acc 4.90 (Hi/lo .766)  (Int 1.10)  (off 1.12)  (washer  1.11)

The steering wheel test values were compared to the test values on the VIP test sheet under Table 1 in this tech sheet.....For Software version 1 (vipwheels.com)

Brett, all those voltages when keys are pressed are way too low.  I think Fred's suggestion that +5 feed voltage going to the keypads is likely running low when a keypad is pressed.  You can verify by measuring the voltage on the red wire.  It should stay at 5 volts when you press a key.  Also the white wire on that same plug should stay at 0 volts when a key is pressed.

40 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Brett, all those voltages when keys are pressed are way too low.  I think Fred's suggestion that +5 feed voltage going to the keypads is likely running low when a keypad is pressed.  You can verify by measuring the voltage on the red wire.  It should stay at 5 volts when you press a key.  Also the white wire on that same plug should stay at 0 volts when a key is pressed.

Are you saying the voltages on the steering wheel plug or the 24/25 wires are too low. The ones on the steering wheel plug pretty much correspond with VIP's given voltages. 

The problem with piercing a wire is that unless you seal the wire afterwards which many people do not do, it then becomes an area ripe for water intrusion and corrosion. I have those same tools but try to only use them in a dire situation. I then use liquid electrical tape and seal the hole really well.

3 hours ago, slemnah@sbcglobal.net said:

The problem with piercing a wire is that unless you seal the wire afterwards which many people do not do, it then becomes an area ripe for water intrusion and corrosion. I have those same tools but try to only use them in a dire situation. I then use liquid electrical tape and seal the hole really well.

These are in the front run bay, if water gets in there I have more issues than 2 pierced wires...lol

Wanted to update the group. What I found was low voltage to the steering wheel, 3.88 instead of 5v. After doing some talking and planning I ordered a 12v > 5v DC/DC converter and will find the power wire to the steering wheel in the run box and cut it and insert the new power supply and pull 12v from any of the 12v lugs int he front run box. We believe that will solve the steering wheel issue. I have lost both sides to it now. Thanks to all the assistance I received.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with the same coach, 09 Monaco Signature Commander IV.  Wipers are intermittent.  I mostly seem to have the wash and the set interval buttons working but no hi/lo.  One diagnosis was that when the wheel gets tilted the wires got stretched and contact was lost.  Further diagnosis by Oregon Motor Coach Center in Eugene, OR seem to to lead to an intermittent ground connection between the clock spring and the the chassis ground.  They tested all the connections in the steering column and think the problem lays with the clock spring itself.  They have patched it by grounding the clock spring ground to the steering wheel and it seems to be mostly working again but still no hi/lo.  Works when it is warm outside and no so much when it is cold.  My theory is things expand when they warm up and perhaps making the ground connection through various U - joints in the steering column.

I couldn't wait for a Clock Spring to be ordered and arrive in time for them to install it as we were on the way to CA.

So I have ordered a new clock spring which I just got today to see if that fixes it.  Now to get a steering wheel puller and the time to install it. Got the clock spring through Veurinks RV. angela@veurinksrv.com or direct 616-965-9627.  It listed their part number on the invoice as 16616943 for clock spring 190063.   $335.00 + S&H.  Also see douglasautotech.com under number 1900043 for installation info.

Hope this works as this has been a problem for us for some time now.