Voltage Regulator

Guest bobstromain

Guest bobstromain

While plugged in I measured voltage and had 13.5 on house and 13.3 on chassis. 

Unplugged for 4 hours or so and measured 13.1 and 12.9 volts.  When starting

the engine alternator only came up to 12, and alarm came on.  Both sets of batteries were

Showing 12.2 volts on the Aladdin.  After allowing it to idle 45 minutes  the alternator came up to 13.5 to

14.  once it comes up I have no more problems until the next time I start the engine.

I am assuming voltage regulator  Is it built in to the alternator?  I am not sure why once it comes up

it stays up

Bob St. Romain

04 Windsor

Bob, I am assuming that you still have the original Leece-Nevelle alternator.  In reading some other related posts, it appears the regulator might be built in.  That could mean the alternator would need to be rebuilt. I’m not sure of that, so  regulator location and replacement needs to be answered.

However, maybe someone in the group might have thoughts on other problems which could cause your problems. It appears that all is well once you get on the road, the alternator output gets into the 14 range after a few minutes. So, at some point you are getting the proper charge at that time. 

Edited by David White

I think I would first try to figure out why house battery drops along with chassis batteries while starting. Maybe you use the boost function or have the solenoid or isolator malfunctioning? Once I understand that part, battery test (at the batteries) would be in order. Either the readings are wrong because of bad connections or the alternator can't keep up with bad batteries. BTW, the regulator is replaceable at top rear of the L-N alternator but I would not jump to conclusions until I know what's going on with the batteries. I don't know your coach but starting the engine would not normally drain a house bank unless you want to. The batteries could be weak and what you see after charging  may just be a surface charge.

Edited by Ivan K

Try measuring the voltage at the alternator directly, right after startup. The Aladdin system is measuring voltage at a very different place in the circuitry. It’s not abnormal for the high draw of an engine start to pull down the chassis bank temporarily. It is very unusual for the house bank to have the same draw down, unless your battery isolation system is not operating properly. Do you have a Big Boy isolator or a different BIRD system?

George C, 2005 Exec

Guest bobstromain

Thanks for the comments,. I have confirmed that the battery isolator switch is not closed, I have had the batteries load tested, and cleaned battery connections.  Not sure how alternator is connected to house batteries when the engine is running.  Problem  is alternator alarm beeps and alternator only goes to 12 v.    Aladdin showing 12.5 house battery and 12.3 chassis battery. After running  a while (anywhere from 15-45 minutes) it all levels out.  Due to an eye issue I am unable to pull alternator .....will get someone to  pull it and have it checked and rebuilt.  Amy future comments appreciated. 

Bob St. Romain

04 Windsor

ll