Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/303-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Bedroom Slide
throgmartin
Bedroom Slide
Kevin E
Bedroom Slide
Ray Davis
Bedroom Slide
jacwjames
LP Gas leak
daveyjo
LP Gas leak
Scotty Hutto
LP Gas leak
daveyjo
belt tensioner
ktloah
LP Gas leak
Dennis H
White Noise in 2004 Signature
Dennis H
dark specs coming out of a/c vents
pamoor21
LP Gas leak
vito.a
bobdinsmore
Magnum Opus Toilet
Ivylog
Warning light
Hancoman
vito.a
Valet Switch
woodylmiller
Air Force 1 or Brake Buddy Stealth?
woodylmiller

Kit to replace Intec mirror mounted side cameras
pwhittle

Hi Paul,

I expect we can take care of both. Perhaps Velvac has some documentation on their mirrors. Can you try to find that?

And welcome to Monacoers! Sorry you had to come here with a problem.

Paul

Bedroom Slide
throgmartin

Kevin, 96 EVO is correct on adjusting the rollers.

In regards to the popping sound you are hearing it could be your gear pack is going. You may have a tooth missing on a gear and when it gets to that spot it jumps and makes a slight popping noise. On a wardrobe slide you can sometimes adjust the slide to work better despite the bad gear pack but on a slide with a bed it is next to impossible. The best thing to do is replace the gear pack it if that is the problem.

Replacing the gear pack on a bed slide requires you to remove the bed. I would have to be standing next to the slide and watch and hear it operate in order to give a definite diagnosis. 😞

Flush Mounted Progressive Industries Remote - 2006 Dip
Bob Nodine

Nice job Scotty. That is where I mounted our SeeLevel Tank Monitor Display. I put the Progressive display up top where the 5 button thermostat used to be. Don't make the same mistake I did if you move the thermostat. As you can see from the photo below I first mounted the new 10 button thermostat where the black plastic cover is. Like a dumb ass I did not think to check where the pocket door would land. I had previously installed the 5 button thermostat where the plastic cover is and the pocket door cleared. Of course the 10 button is wider and interfered with the pocket door. Had to move it further towards the front of the coach and cover up my mistake.

20210115_070457.jpg

Bedroom Slide
Kevin E

Thank you, I'll check it out. It has done this since I bought it in 2013. It only does it when it hits the end of its travel, in and out.

Flush Mounted Progressive Industries Remote - 2006 Dip
Scotty Hutto

Bob, what is the TriStar panel for?

Bedroom Slide
Ray Davis

Kevin,  I believe the sound you are hearing at the end of travel is normal.  Some years ago there was a discussion by Fred White about this sound.

After many people reported that they had the same sound and had always had it the conclusion was it is normal.  My 03 Windsor does it and I don't worry about it anymore.

Here is a link to a thread on IRV2 that shows what the underside of the bed looks like and why Ben (  96 EVO ) asked about wood chips.

Quick Tips and Easy Mods (Monaco Style) - Page 77 - iRV2 Forums

47 minutes ago, Kevin E said:

Thank you, I'll check it out. It has done this since I bought it in 2013. It only does it when it hits the end of its travel, in and out.

Bedroom Slide
jacwjames

My slide makes a clicking sound when it reaches the end of the stroke when I either extend or retract.  I believe there is some of clutch type system that allows it to slip.  I anticipate this while I'm moving the slide in or out and release the button just as it get to the end of the stroke.   In the past this has been discussed I believe this is normal for my type of slide but I'll be monitoring this post to see if it may be something else. 

Attached is a parts breakdown for my slide, which may be the same as yours.

1 Slideout Bedroom mechanism.pdf

LP Gas leak
daveyjo

My 2005 HR Scepter has apparently developed a gas leak this winter.  I live in cold Minnesota, and the coach is in storage here.  I haven't paid much attention to propane levels as I never use much.  Have a residential fridge, so cooktop and furnaces are the only propane consumers.  Tank was pretty full when I put it in storage this fall.  Took the coach for an exercise ride a couple of days ago, and the furnaces wouldn't come on, so I tried the gas stove burners.  Nothing!  Mechanical gauge on tank says completely empty.  Aladdin monitoring system says almost empty, and that system is not very accurate anyway.  So I think I have a gas leak.  Before I put some propane back in the tank and start looking for a leak, I thought I'd ask the Forum for ideas and experiences.  Any ideas, folks?

LP Gas leak
Scotty Hutto

Dave,

Home Depot has a gas sniffer for about $25 that helped me find a leak in my coach. 

Turned out to be the control valve on my water heater (which it sounds like you don’t have)

After thoroughly checking my coach I ended up replacing the regulator (pressure problems) and all of the 15-year-old hoses (preventative). 

The sniffer was key to finding the problem, tho. 

Paul Busch

M

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Paul, 

I sent photos. Please let me know if you need more. I do feel fortunate to have found this sight. Patty and I bought this coach 5 years ago and put 16,000 miles on it until November 2020. We are now full timing for real and it is great to have so much help with problems.

thanks again Paul 

pwhittle

Hi Paul,

Can you find a link to the product documentation for your mirrors?

Paul

LP Gas leak
daveyjo

Thanks, Scotty.  I forgot that I do indeed have a water heater too.  I just ordered a sniffer from Amazon.  Good idea.

belt tensioner
ktloah

I got mine believe it or not on Amazon...400 ISL

Paul Busch

Paul,

a neighbor in the park with me has the wiring diagram . I will forward it when he gets it for me. I also will look at the Velvac web site to try to find the mirrors.

paul

LP Gas leak
Dennis H

Almost any propane dealer will check your system for you for free. They won't check your lines but everything attached to your propane tank they'll check to ensure it's working properly. I'd start there and work backwards. You'll have a propane detector installed in the coach, usually on the baseboard below the cooktop. Make sure yours is working properly. They do have a shelf life and if you've never replaced yours in 16 years, it's past it's expiration date. Same goes for the bedroom carbon monoxide detector. Replace it too....good luck...Dennis

Dennis H

Pull the fuse for the radio and see if it goes away. If it does, then the radio is active when it shouldn't be. Mine runs through the Aladdin system and often it'll cross over when it's not supposed to. Electronic gremlins....Dennis

pamoor21

I have a 2002 Monaco Exec. Just recently, when I run the a/c in fan, a/c, or heat pump, i get small flecks of paper thin size of a dime coming out of the a/c vents. Any idea why ? It is driving my wife crazy, thus driving me crazy. Any ideas. Thank you, Pat & Jan

DavidL

The AC units are open to fresh air on the roof.  Small particles could find there way into the ducts.  There is no filter on the incoming on mine.  There are only filters on the AC intakes.

Or, it could be the plenum degrading...all depends on what you are actually seeing...dead decomposed leaves?

If it's that bad, you could vaccuum out the plenum via the outlets, take the covers off the AC units and clean them.  The AC condenser likely is full of dirt and would love to be cleaned out as well.  I powerwashed mine (very carefully).  I closed off the intake plenum opening and went to town.  Now spanky clean.

LP Gas leak
vito.a

There are rubber hoses attached from the regulator to the hard line.  That is usually where they develop leaks.  Also sometimes at the compressed fittings.  

Bruce B

I had something similar occur so I removed the filters in the ceiling and washed them.  The foam was old and degrading so I have since made new ones.

2004 Dynasty fuel tank Suction line?
Ivylog

It was as definitely on the passenger side on my 04 Dynasty.

bobdinsmore

I find occasional (about half a dozen) black flecks and styrofoam flecks falling from the ceiling ac vents in the bedroom only after the motorhome has been unused over the winter. The black flecks appear to be very thin plastic/mylar which could be a covering off insulation. The ac has not been running for months when these show up so I'm guessing they are from mice because I catch one or two a winter. I just get the mice and clean up the flecks.

Magnum Opus Toilet
Ivylog

Paul helped me get the correct limit switch (V155-1C25) to correct my ball valve not closing...blinking led #11 on the OEM  board. Wanted the part on hand so I would only have to pull the toilet one time.

Removed the switch without removing the entire mechanism but decided it would be easier with the mechanism removed to put the new switch in... a mistake in hindsight.

Had to remove the toilet several times getting the ball valve and seal aligned properly so it would hold water again.

Warning light
Hancoman

Jim

That could be the problem, when I took it in they said I was a little low on coolant.  I will check it out next week and let you know

Tom

vito.a

We have similar coaches.  I agree with Dennis but I'd also check your backup camera.  It sounds like the camera is always on and you are getting audio noise.  Have someone stand at the back and say something.  

Valet Switch
woodylmiller

Thanks Frank, good point.  I know that the factory set a code that many folks are aware of and could use it to gain entry, if I understand it correctly.  We always use the deadbolt when away for any length of time.

2005 Monaco Signature Castle IV 45' tag air pressure gauges
Paul Busch

Thanks, I have been looking for the front gage for 2 years. I just ordered one on eBay. Big help, thanks.

paul

woodylmiller

We have the air force.  No problems, as I recall, there is a check valve that keeps your coach air system from losing air if the toad has a problem.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

bill4029

Agree there is an accumulator tank on my Beaver coach that was added as part of the Air Force 1 install even though I had an air line connector already factory installed and a check valve is part of the setup. there is also a LED placed on my Expedition mirror so I can see it lights when the brake is applied !  nice to know you are not dragging a brake or not getting braking .  I also installed additional sensors to my TPMS system to include the towed Expedition so I can watch pressure and tire temperature on the truck as well.  Safety first !

Water Hose - Reel or Hose Replacement
Hypoxia

After much consideration I decided to replace the reel and hose on the coach.  The 50' reel is 1" wider than the original 35' hose reel and I had the space.  On a 45' coach it seemed like I was always a foot short of reaching the hose bib.  It arrived today so I , of course had to immediately install it!  The nut that holds it on the reel is 1 1/2"  and the only socket that size I have is fairly long.  The space is small so I used a pipe wrench to turn the socket.  It was not easily turned so I called Glendenning to make sure I wasn't going to break something.  I think it was about 5 minutes before they closed down for the weekend.  Michael explained that I need to give it a little more love to break the nut loose, which I did with some pipe for an extension.  It did get a little more complicated but in the end he was available after hours which helped greatly!  There has been some discussion about the hose connection on the Glendinning Hose Reel, here are photos of mine, Model M Hose Reel.

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

vanwill52

We are blessed on this forum with several truly techincally competent contributors.  Dave Pratt, Chuck B, Frank McElroy, Ivan K, Paul Whittle, Scotty, Tom Cherry, and many others come to mind.  On ANY forum, there will always be "crusty old curmudgeons" and basically crotchety, unpleasant, negative old farts.

When we have someone like Paul Whittle, a software engineer of outstanding talent and considerable business success, who devotes a large amount of time to developing products that solve long-standing problems that previously had no solution (at ANY price)...and which do not have a snowball's chance of returning to him even his development costs, I think it is truly petty that ANYONE might question the price of the products such a person provides, MUCH LESS the motivation for their contribution.

If you think YOU can develop a comparable product at a much lower price, by all means--DO SO!  I'm betting that among all our hundreds (thousands?) of members, not one will step up and offer even a second-rate solution to the toilet controllers Paul Whittle is offering, or the new camera adaptations.  And being the inquisitive fellow that he is, don't be surprised if he comes up with several other software/hardware solutions for otherwise unsolvable problems.

Please don't be part of the legion of cheap-skates who whine even about the price of diesel fuel!  When one amongst you provides an elegant solution to a problem that previously had no solution at ANY price, REJOICE that we have members willing to devote the time to help their fellow Monaco owners.

I have no need of either an electronic toilet controller or an upgraded rear-view camera.  But I assure you that if I did, I would not hesitate to contact a fellow Monacoer who had researched and produced the item I needed.

No, this message is not "aimed" at any one particular person.  I'm just humbly suggesting that you appreciate some of the truly talented people on this forum who can help you with a difficult problem, even when it almost surely will not profit them.

Paul Busch

Van,

I couldn’t agree more.

I am new here only a few days and Paul and the site has already provided me with advise and helped me and I would pay anything for real solutions instead of paying 150.00 an hour for somebody to stand around and scratch their head and me standing around  watching them fail at any solution or progress. I have heard so many horror stories and am glad to have people with real solution or learn from their experience.

Paul

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.