Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/304-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Water Hose - Reel or Hose Replacement
willbo777
belt tensioner
wamcneil
White Noise in 2004 Signature
wamcneil
Air Force 1 or Brake Buddy Stealth?
Hardy1000
LP Gas leak
pulsarjab
belt tensioner
Ray Davis
LP Gas leak
jacwjames
New Life to a Monaco Dynasty
Texas RV Flooring & Design
dark specs coming out of a/c vents
Mel S - '96 Safari
LP Gas leak
Paul A.
LP Gas leak
Scotty Hutto
Beeping caution horn
Fred L
Beeping caution horn
Kevin E
Beeping caution horn
Bruce B
Beeping caution horn
bklaes
New couch
RVSSNAKE
Beeping caution horn
Ivan K
Beeping caution horn
Jim Byrd
Beeping caution horn
Joelsheriff
Beeping caution horn
sjamiejones
Beeping caution horn
Fred L
Beeping caution horn
Jim Byrd
Beeping caution horn
Fred L

Flush Mounted Progressive Industries Remote - 2006 Dip
Bob Nodine
21 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Bob, what is the TriStar panel for?

Scotty,

I installed about 600 watts of solar on the roof with an MPPT controller. TriStar is the brand name of the controller and that is the remote display for the MPPT charger. Since the LED tank level system that came with the coach was worthless, especially after installing the SeeLevel, I cut out the tank level display and replaced it with the TriStar remote panel.

willbo777

I just replaced mine as well, although I had to remove the entire unit to get to the nut, not a big deal.

belt tensioner
wamcneil

Are you sure quickserve is giving the wrong P/N? Cummins seems to supersede parts pretty frequently. Entirely possible that your old part has been replaced at least once. 
Cheers 

Walter

White Noise in 2004 Signature
wamcneil

Where are the speakers located? Are they up close to the front? (Dash radio)

or are they back towards the middle of the coach (surround sound for home theater)

cheer
Walter

Air Force 1 or Brake Buddy Stealth?
Hardy1000

I have been using the M&G system for 13 years and have never had any problems. I just purchased a new Grand Cherokee and I am installing the M&G 2.0 system on it.  

LP Gas leak
pulsarjab

I had same issue, about six years ago. I took it to an RV service center in San Antonio and they replaced the regulator. Took about 30 minutes.

Greg

2000 Diplomat

belt tensioner
Ray Davis

I took my tensioner, belts, and misc parts to NAPA and they matched them right up.

BTW an organization mentioned on here sometime ago ( AITA ) https://aitaonline.com/ (Americas Independent Truckers Association) saved me a quick 25% IRCC.     That percentage seems to vary with the store, particular part and the person waiting on you.  Anyway the organization is free to join and works fine for RVers as well as truckers.

LP Gas leak
jacwjames

Back about ~6-7 years ago my coach was sitting in the driveway and I'd have to walk by it to leave.  One day I caught a whiff of propane, the next day the same thing.  So I got out a spray bottle of soapy water and fount the 2-stage regulator was leaking.

The original regulator was a Marshal 290 which was obsolete, I was able to find he original spec sheet.   Made a couple calls to RV shops near me, they didn't stock a compatible one.  The original was a 2-stage which allows for higher capacity and helps in higher elevations.  Since I had furnace, fridge, cook top, and water heater I didn't want to take and shortcuts.

I ended up finding a replacement, Marshall Excelsior MEGR-298 Horizontal Two-Stage Propane, on Ebay for ~$26.  I believe there is a parts page in the files for this that I had sent to Fred White to post.

New Life to a Monaco Dynasty
Texas RV Flooring & Design

Sorry for the late reply.. technical issues!   We use stair nosing around the slide and stairs.    

Doug Hoegh

Scotty was fishing the wire from the power bay easy?  Nice bezel.

Mel S - '96 Safari
22 hours ago, DavidL said:

The AC units are open to fresh air on the roof.  Small particles could find there way into the ducts.  There is no filter on the incoming on mine.  There are only filters on the AC intakes.

Or, it could be the plenum degrading...all depends on what you are actually seeing...dead decomposed leaves?

If it's that bad, you could vaccuum out the plenum via the outlets, take the covers off the AC units and clean them.  The AC condenser likely is full of dirt and would love to be cleaned out as well.  I powerwashed mine (very carefully).  I closed off the intake plenum opening and went to town.  Now spanky clean.

DavidL

RV roof a/c units don't draw any OUTSIDE AIR into the coach. 

The Room Air Blower draws in ONLY INSIDE AIR and blows out recirculated/cooled INSIDE AIR, (as seen in this illustration)

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Coleman AC freezing up constantly?

LP Gas leak
Paul A.
5 hours ago, pulsarjab said:

I had same issue, about six years ago. I took it to an RV service center in San Antonio and they replaced the regulator. Took about 30 minutes.

Greg

2000 Diplomat

Was the RV Service Center in San Antonio Iron Horse?

DavidL

Agreed Mel, go take your AC cover off and see how much junk is in it.  That's my point.

The design of the AC rooftop units are pretty unsealed externally.  There is just a little piece of foam (that degrades) "sealing" interior to exterior air.    And the interior air constantly circulating has dirt in it too.  Every condenser I have looked at that is a few years or more old are gross.  Rewarding to clean them and know they are clean and efficiently cooling / heating the air.  On my 2002 (newer to me) the condenser was almost completely blocked with debris.  Looked like mud.

Good time to reseal the fan units as the HVAC tape they use is commonly flying off in the breeze...which could be the flakes the OP is seeing...Clean it and retape it to reseal.  HVAC tape at Home Depot is like $8.  Might as well get some foam from the door sealing aisle while you are there to replace the old degraded foam.

LP Gas leak
Scotty Hutto

For anyone this may help. I spent a lot of time reviewing specs and then confirmed with tech support at Marshall Excelsior:

Item 1: As opposed to what you find wind all over the inter webs, The MEGR-295H is NOT the direct replacement for the OEM regulator in a 2006 Diplomat.  Several of the Marshall Excelsior MEGR family of dual stage regulators share the same regulator body, but the EXACT replacement for the OEM regulator is the MEGR-298H (as Jim says above) which does NOT contain the excess flow prevention device.  On Dips (or any other coach with a Manchester LP tank), the excess flow prevention device is part of the POL connector on the pigtail hose that runs from the tank to the regulator.  

Also of note:  the MEGR-298H connection coming from the tank is a 1/4” NPT female.  Many hoses have a 1/4” Flare nut on the end — if yours does be sure you use a ¼” female inverted flare to ¼” NPT male adapter to ensure a gas-tight connection.  Straight NPT threads require pipe dope (or equivalent) for a secure connection; flare connectors do not use pipe dope  

The issue here is that per RVIA code, the excess flow device MUST be at the outlet of the Manchester tank.  If you have a hose from the tank to the regulator with the excess flow device in the regulator, and have a rupture in that hose, the excess flow device will NOT shut off the gas.

Item 2: Also, per the original Monaco design, the pigtail from the tank to the regulator contains the POL connector with excess flow device.  What this means is that other brands of regulator (I.e., Camco, Mr. Heater) may work. I chose to go with the Marshall Excelsior since there is a lot more technical data about them, and I’m a nerd. 😁

One of the things I discovered is that MOST of the “RV” propane hoses (i.e., on eTrailer.com, which has a large selection) do not meet RVIA standards and are NOT RVIA approved.  Does this matter?  You be the judge  

The exact OEM replacement pigtail that runs from the Manchester tank to the regulator for a 2006 Dip is a Marshall Excelsior MER405-15.  The original pigtail is 15” and that length is no longer available, but they do have a MER405-24 (hard to find).  An alternate is a MER401-15 with a ¼” female inverted flare to ¼” NPT male adapter (that’s what I did).

The hose that runs from the output of the regulator to the hard piping in the coach is Marshall Excelsior part number MER611-24 and those are readily available, just not on Amazon  🤷🏻‍♂️

In summary, for a 2006 Diplomat, the exact OEM replacements are:

Regulator: Marshall Excelsior MEGR-298H

Pigtail from tank to reg: Marshall Excelsior MER405-15 (substitute MER401-15 + inverted female flare to 1/4” NPT adapter))

Pigtail from reg to coach piping: Marshall Excelsior MER611-24 (not so hard to find)

I suspect that combination may work in many other Monaco coaches, also.

Scotty Hutto
2 hours ago, Doug Hoegh said:

Scotty was fishing the wire from the power bay easy?  Nice bezel.

Hmmm. I don’t think anything that requires me crawling under the coach is “easy”. 😂

Seriously, it wasn’t too bad, just required some patience and planning.  I “stuffed” the phone wire into existing corrugated split conduits until I got close to the bay with the water tanks, then followed the route of the tank monitor wires up the chase to the display panel. A fish tape and fish rods were crucial. 

Beeping caution horn
Fred L

I am beside myself. I am looking to see if anyone else has experienced this. I have a 2004 Camelot Cummins with Allison trans. Purchased new. The warning horn comes on when I put it in gear. A little history. It has been doing this for about 4 years then goes off after a while. I had the RV looked at this year just for that, and naturally it worked fine when it was at the shop for service. The tech said it is connected to multiple devices. Low anti-freeze, low trans fluid, etc. Everything was at proper levels, not over heating, plenty of air, fuel is full. Today, in getting it ready for our trip south it was find leaving to get to a open space to set up satellite.  Got back to house and shut it down out on street to move the tow vehicle into position. Went back to back the RV in and the stupid horn was beeping. If I could get to it without taking dash apart I would disconnect it. Last year I left with it beeping and it stopped about a mile away. Doesn’t make it right. Does anyone have a schematic, or what items this is connected to? I guess because of age a sending unit needs replacing.

This is not the warning horn for the leveling jacks.

Thanks

Beeping caution horn
Kevin E

I was gonna say the jack level, but saw the last line of your post. Sorry.

Beeping caution horn
Bruce B

I had something similar once and it was the Nason switch on the air brake. 

Beeping caution horn
bklaes

My alarm goes off when I drive in the rain.  The hard it rains, the louder the alarm.
I read (probably on here or on irv2) that it is likely an ABS sensor.

New couch
RVSSNAKE
On 10/6/2020 at 5:00 PM, Pampero said:

I have the same laid out as our 2000 Windsor, can you send a picture with the sofa bed open? I want to know how it looks and how far it reachs.

Please do it at your convenience

Txs

Sorry, completely forgot about this till I was looking back at some posts.

Here is a pic of our couch’s laid down.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:00 PM, Pampero said:

I have the same laid out as our 2000 Windsor, can you send a picture with the sofa bed open? I want to know how it looks and how far it reachs.

Please do it at your convenience

Txs

607E96F5-71B1-41DB-B073-F75AE35B86C1.jpeg

Just now, RVSSNAKE said:

Sorry, completely forgot about this till I was looking back at some posts.

Here is a pic of our couch’s laid down.

607E96F5-71B1-41DB-B073-F75AE35B86C1.jpeg

Slide in BTW.

Beeping caution horn
Ivan K

You just might have to dig into the dash and start disconnecting leads one by one until it stops and go from there. These are ground leads and one could just be touching something somewhere without blowing a fuse so even disconnecting all the possible senders may not help.

Beeping caution horn
Jim Byrd
2 hours ago, Bruce B said:

I had something similar once and it was the Nason switch on the air brake. 

I agree, it's easy to change and readily available.  The buzzers that are under my 04 Holiday Rambler are accessible without and dissembling of he dash,  just reach up under the dash from the left side of the steering wheel  and you will feel them. On my coach the wires were long enough position the buzzer to disconnect the wires when I replaced my buzzer. 

Beeping caution horn
Joelsheriff

Is it the sound of the annunciator plug in module under the dash that beeps for various reasons. Has like 18 connections going thru it. 

Beeping caution horn
sjamiejones

Sure sounds like the nason switch on your park brake control. There are many articles on this, in this and other forums. Not hard to replace switch once you find one. Some are cheap and some expensive for the same part. HR and Monaco both suffered from this poor design in that vintage of rv - too much current through the switch causes the failure.

I have attached an article RE the nason switch. I made the mod described in the article and everything now works as it should. Hope this helps.

-Jamie

nason parking brake switch.pdf

pwhittle

Glendinning support has always been great for me too!

Paul

Beeping caution horn
Fred L

I thank all that have supplied some possible solutions. Reading, I'm willing to say it may be the Nason switch, where ever that is. I cannot get access up (at least not yet) below the dash. My unit has boards I guess screwed or fasten some way. I will get on my back tomorrow and take a look. I hope to leave for the Fl Keys by weeks end and really don't want to go to the service shop again. I do most of the work on this RV. Since I hit 100,000 coming back from the Keys last year I took it in for engine and trans inspection. There was an ABS light that would come on now and then, the tech said it needed adjusting. Engine and trans are in good condition, but was unable to track down the beeping horn. The Nason pdf was very good info. 

BTW   What is the purpose of the Nason switch, and where is located? I'll be using goggle on that.

Thanks again to all   Stay safe

Beeping caution horn
Jim Byrd
32 minutes ago, Fred L said:

I thank all that have supplied some possible solutions. Reading, I'm willing to say it may be the Nason switch, where ever that is. I cannot get access up (at least not yet) below the dash. My unit has boards I guess screwed or fasten some way. I will get on my back tomorrow and take a look. I hope to leave for the Fl Keys by weeks end and really don't want to go to the service shop again. I do most of the work on this RV. Since I hit 100,000 coming back from the Keys last year I took it in for engine and trans inspection. There was an ABS light that would come on now and then, the tech said it needed adjusting. Engine and trans are in good condition, but was unable to track down the beeping horn. The Nason pdf was very good info. 

BTW   What is the purpose of the Nason switch, and where is located? I'll be using goggle on that.

Thanks again to all   Stay safe

The Nason switch is to warn you that you not to take off unless you release the brakes.  The switch is located one the valve that you set and release the air brakes.

Beeping caution horn
Fred L

Thanks Jim

I just was able to find that location goggling it.  The coach rolls fine when I release the switch. The horn will drive me batty.

cor460

What kind of hose are you going back with?  Our hose keeps twisting and is hard to retrack at times.  I would also like to increase the length as our hose is about 15 foot long.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.