Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/305-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

New Life to a Monaco Dynasty
MHRookie
Beeping caution horn
dl_racing427
Beeping caution horn
Bob Nodine
Jim Bob
belt tensioner
RC2018
White Noise in 2004 Signature
Rob M cKeown
bpperk
Texas RV Flooring & Design
Rob M cKeown
Air Force 1 or Brake Buddy Stealth?
bikedavem
Sourcing Parts
jacwjames
LP Gas leak
daveyjo
Empty tank in water pump area
CapnDean
Servicing AquaHot 450D
CapnDean
Servicing AquaHot 450D
Paul Busch
Servicing AquaHot 450D
Roadrunner
Servicing AquaHot 450D
John Haggard
Servicing AquaHot 450D
DavidL
bpperk
Sourcing Parts
Rikadoo
Servicing AquaHot 450D
Vince Toscano
Servicing AquaHot 450D
Chargerman
Servicing AquaHot 450D
Paul A.
36' Glendinning 50 amp Power Cord
willbo777
Rear laundry venting
johncvandoren@gmail.com
Beeping caution horn
Rich Cutler
Oman generator
Mr Keith
swsmitty535
Swsmitty535
Oman generator
John Haggard
Oman generator
Mr Keith
swsmitty535
Corgidad
Oman generator
Ivan K
Oman generator
Mr Keith
swsmitty535
bklaes
swsmitty535
Swsmitty535
swsmitty535
Jim Byrd
Oman generator
Ivan K
Oman generator
Mr Keith
Oman generator
Vince Toscano
Alert for rechargeable Oral-B toothbrush
Vince Toscano

MHRookie
16 hours ago, Texas RV Flooring & Design said:

Sorry for the late reply.. technical issues!   We use stair nosing around the slide and stairs.    

Very nice job!  Glad I joined ur FB page.  Great idea on the slide edge.

Beeping caution horn
dl_racing427
10 hours ago, bklaes said:

My alarm goes off when I drive in the rain.  The hard it rains, the louder the alarm.
I read (probably on here or on irv2) that it is likely an ABS sensor.

That's usually one of the low air pressure switches on the tanks.
The terminals get dirt buildup, and when it gets damp is conducts enough to sound the alarm.
Easiest solution is to clean the terminals and coat them with RTV to keep them clean and dry.

Beeping caution horn
Bob Nodine

My money is on the Nason switch under the parking brake.

Jim Bob

is that tile or a wood product?

Water Hose - Reel or Hose Replacement
Hypoxia
7 hours ago, cor460 said:

What kind of hose are you going back with?  Our hose keeps twisting and is hard to retrack at times.  I would also like to increase the length as our hose is about 15 foot long.

Glendinning Model M 50' Long Hose and Spool  is an inch wider than the 35' hose spool.

belt tensioner
RC2018

My 2003 DIPLOMAT  8.3 TOOK MAIN BELT TENSIONER # 5259022. 

MAIN SERPENTINE BELT; DAYCO # 3289235

AC BELT; GATES # XL 11A1170

Rob M cKeown

I had a similar issue and it was a bad wire from the woofer causing 'white noise' coming from the center front speaker. The woofer was mounted underneath the galley sink against the wall of the coach which was a bear to get at. I ended up replacing the Bose Surround system with a wireless system which turned out great.

I forgot to mention I have a 2003 Sig

bpperk

The noise is in the ceiling speakers closest to the front. These are the speakers for the Kenwood Dah radio which is dead.

Texas RV Flooring & Design

Thank you!  It is an engineered hardwood.

Rob M cKeown

I didn't have a problem with those speakers. I am not sure what would cause that. Dennis H mentioned a cause that seems plausible to me.

Air Force 1 or Brake Buddy Stealth?
bikedavem

If you haven't yet purchased the tow bar you might find this interesting. I used to have my Blue Ox tow bar inspected and serviced every other winter at the Quartzsite show. A couple of years ago they doubled the price but still refused to service my tow bar because of its age. (over 8 years) I replaced it with a Roadmaster bar with Blue Ox ends. Now I get it serviced and inspected every 2 years at the Quartzsite show free of charge. Do business with those who treat you well! 

Sourcing Parts
jacwjames

Back years ago during the Monaco bankruptcy the website used by dealers was left open and accessible, there was a post of the link on IRV2.  It peaked my interest and ultimately found that I could find all the parts pages form my 2002 Windsor and spent a couple days scouring the site and downloading the ones I thought useful.  The parts pages had both the Monaco part number and sometimes the OEM part number.  Using the Monaco part number is usually not successful but in the past the OEM part number can usually lead me in the right direction to find a part but this is getting more difficult with time.

Recently I was helping a poster on the IRV2 site find the hinge pieces for the bay doors.  I had to replace 3 of mine back in 2013 but had to go through Monaco to get the part number and part.  I provided this info to the poster, he actually went to the REV website which does have a parts lookup and was able to buy a 14' piece of the hinge for ~$100 with shipping.

This peaked my interest so I went to the REV parts site, randomly picked some of my parts pages (which can consist of multiple parts numbers) and checked some Monaco part numbers.  I was able to find everyone.  Some are in stock, some provided lead time once order is place, a couple were obsolete. 

The old part # is listed as legacy with the new REV part number provided.  Here is a link to one I looked up

https://parts.revgroup.com/item-detail?itemId=48306&organizationId=9

It is good to know the REV does have this info archived and may be able to help.   I have +100 parts pages, most of them have multiple parts listed.   The dash parts page has +25 parts listed for all the gauges. 

So if you have any of the old Monaco part numbers there is hope. 

LP Gas leak
daveyjo

Wow.  Thanks for all the responses and ideas about my gas leak.  I guess I need to go by some propane and start sniffing (Ugg - it's cold and snowy here!😉).  The propane sniffer is due to arrive tomorrow.

Stay safe!

Dave

Empty tank in water pump area
CapnDean

Thanks Guys.....    I live in South Mississippi.   We never winterize.   In fact Winter is Camping Season for us,  Summertime is Yachting Season,,

Servicing AquaHot 450D
CapnDean

New to me Coach.  Best I can tell the AH has never been serviced.  It works great but I plan to tackle it anyway.  Anybody got any pointers?  It should be pretty straight forward yes?

Servicing AquaHot 450D
Paul Busch

I service mine regularly. Go to RV Hydronic Heater Repair. Rodger Berke has a forum and sells anything and everything you would need. If you join the forum you can ask questions and he responds back to your question on the forum.

I have bought parts and motors new and used rebuilt from him and never been disappointed.

Good luck

Servicing AquaHot 450D
Roadrunner

Hello! I did Aquahot service this year. I drained the boiler fluid and replaced it - I don’t think anyone had done so before. The previous owner kept thorough records, but nothing regarding the Aquahot. Be forewarned - it holds about 18 gallons. I bought the Century concentrate. I replaced the nozzle, serviced the burner and replaced the faulty float switch. The previous switches were plastic - we replaced it with brass. The original was very brittle and broke trying to remove it. I had to re-tap the threads. It functions much better now. 

Servicing AquaHot 450D
John Haggard

Yes , it is quite simple.

good luck.

And, there are Many,many quality youtube videos to watch.

Roger Burk is a great go to source.

Servicing AquaHot 450D
DavidL

Nozzle replacement and filter.

Try not to bend the ignitor elements so as not to move their position.

Clean up all parts (like the combustion chamber).  I use carb cleaner.

I like the idea of replacing the low coolant switch...I had to on mine but didn't realize there was a metal replacement.  Mine is a HydroHot.

bpperk

OK Folks, the noise was somehow coming from my dead Kenwood radio, GPS and disk player. I removed the radio head and the amp for it and now silence is golden. Thanks for your suggestions. 

Sourcing Parts
Rikadoo

Hey jacwjames read your piece, i appreciate your info, in fact on one of your replies to someone on irv2 i saw where you offered the listing, which i made into files that i can use. As i looked thru the listing there are severel parts that look like i can use on my 03 HR, thank you for that information. I myself have discovered just how difficult it is to find a something so simple as a belt tensioner, i even had the old one with me an the parts people i worked with would, if i gave them a part # be glad to look it up, but otherwise they have NO intrest in trying to research any parts. I admitt i forgot to look at the list because i had the old part in my hand i thought that would suffice, nope instead i put the old part back on. However on this site someone gave me “the part number” an said it was the possable one, sadly it was not. So what i have begun to relise is the parts that are out there may fit the base group (engine family in my case for like a truck) but not fir the application like MH. In fact i even went to the tensioner Mfg. Site an entered the PN on the tensioner and there was no crossover, yet if i entered the application for my MH it spit out a PN that was supposed to work, yeah no, it too was different enough that i didnt feel comfortable trying to see. So i believe that the #s on the old part WILL relate to a document for the specs that were used by that company to build that exact componite specificly for that application. Of course that shinning ray of the obvious came to me on Saturday and of course there closed till Tuesday😡

With as many older coaches still out there you would think some entrepreneur that could see the benifit of organizing a data base so parts houses could acess an sell acordingly... Thank you again for your support

Servicing AquaHot 450D
Vince Toscano

One of many things to be careful of is on the blower unit. There are 2 tabs that secure the blower/burner unit to the housing of the AH that can be broken very easily. Make sure when you reinstall the blower unit that you hold in firmly in place and you tighten each bolt evenly a little at a time. I would suggest just using a 1/4" ratchet. You will need a long extension. 

Servicing AquaHot 450D
Chargerman
8 minutes ago, Vince Toscano said:

One of many things to be careful of is on the blower unit. There are 2 tabs that secure the blower/burner unit to the housing of the AH that can be broken very easily. Make sure when you reinstall the blower unit that you hold in firmly in place and you tighten each bolt evenly a little at a time. I would suggest just using a 1/4" ratchet. You will need a long extension. 

Agree that this is a fragile mount. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!  or the tab will break off. Don’t ask me how I know 🤬

Servicing AquaHot 450D
Paul A.
2 hours ago, John Haggard said:

Yes , it is quite simple.

good luck.

And, there are Many,many quality youtube videos to watch.

Roger Burk is a great go to source.

rogerberke.com is a great site and a immense knowledge source. He has a forum that i would suggest everyone with a Aqua Hot system join. Very competitive pricing for parts too.  

He sells a new style of zone valve, that we all know does stick "closed" which has a silicon liner for the butter fly to sit on that eliminates that issue immensely.

36' Glendinning 50 amp Power Cord
willbo777

I have a barely used, less than 6 months, 36 foot Glendinning 50 amp power cord for sale.  It has their proprietary plug on the end with a light for power and a hinge for easy removal from the receptacle.  It was ordered in error too short for my needs.  Paid $250, I would like to get $150 plus shipping. It is located in the Sarasota area.IMG_1322.jpeg.016b2e6e08bef3f9f54d9a8dda26f796.jpegIMG_1323.jpeg.d47da1465b0ff1dc58ef1639726a6f2d.jpegIMG_1324.jpeg.f149707d4a7cd0c16f307945b6005192.jpegIMG_1325.jpeg.60434e530f2559626322797f1831c2b9.jpegIMG_1330.jpeg.4cdbba0f1305b229c9547afccc7a3047.jpeg

Source for front corner running turn signal
John Haggard

Can this be repaired,  ???

Sourced.? 

On my 99 signature 

20210113_093516.jpg

20210113_093524.jpg

Ivan K

These are from a Volvo semi and you can get them here for instance, not expensive at all for how big they are. I keep a spare set too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Truck-Turn-Signal-Marker-Light-938-048-001/163004933015?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Bob Nodine

I like the Oral-B rechargeable toothbrush so purchased one for the motorhome in December. We have been in Florida for a week now and Friday the red LED illuminated indicating the battery needed to be charged. I was surprised since I leave the toothbrush on the charger all the time. I assumed the charger was bad and Saturday we purchased another toothbrush just to get a charger. Sure enough the toothbrush started to charge on the new charger. I was reminded that when the toothbrush is placed on the charger it illuminates for a few seconds. Problem solved - NOT. We were at the Florida Super Show camping at the fairgrounds and left this morning. We stopped at a rest area on I-4 to make lunch and wait a little since we could not check into our next campground until 12 noon. I noticed the toothbrush was no longer charging and it hit me that the MSW inverter was killing the chargers. So be warned that if you have a MSW inverter and a charger like the one in the photo below, only plug it in when you need to charge the toothbrush and are on the generator or shore power.

20210117_161559.jpg

Dr4Film

Good information Bob. I use a Cyber Sonic Tooth Brush system and it has worked flawlessly on our Xantrex/Trace MSW Inverter for years without crapping out. I have one charger at home and one in the coach.

https://tinyurl.com/yyvf7ng7

One thing that I purchased recently that did not like the MSW Inverter was a 120 VAC Remote Control Switch which I use to turn a Swag lamp on/off that sits over the dining table but is plugged into the duplex at the front of the coach.

https://tinyurl.com/y5axe79n

Rear laundry venting
johncvandoren@gmail.com

The cavity behind the laundry is enclosed on all sides, top, & bottom.  Has anyone been successful in opening a 4-6” hole I’m the bottom to let the air & lint out?

Beeping caution horn
Rich Cutler

Out of hearing out of mind.   My issue was the warning buzzer for the dash and what ever went along with it.   It started when the coach went in for repair of an antifreeze leak and a slight high pressue fuel leak in the engine compartment, and came back with that buzzer alarm issue.  We unplugged it from behind the radio.  Of course we get the lights on the dash as warnings but no sounds to go along with them.   Took it to my repair shop for internal RV repair, not engine mechanical, and they recommended to take it to Cummings as they was felt the issue was in a module and did not want to charge me for the time to do electrical tracing for all the possible sources.   I have just left it unpluged for the last year as with COVID we have not traveled.  I do not know if the parking brake is tied into that buzzer, I will have to check that out and see if I still have that buzzer on the parking air brake.  If not maybe, it is my issue, and was unplugged with everything else.   Otherwise I wish I had a wiring diagram to see what all is tied into that buzzer and trace the offender down.   The plug is a multi wire plug to the buzzer behind the radio (06' Windsor).    Any thoughts before I tear it apart?

Rich Cutler

06 Windsor

John Haggard

Thank you much Ivan.

I  appreciate 

John Haggard
3 hours ago, Ivan K said:

These are from a Volvo semi and you can get them here for instance, not expensive at all for how big they are. I keep a spare set too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Truck-Turn-Signal-Marker-Light-938-048-001/163004933015?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Two ordered

Oman generator
Mr Keith

I have a 1986 Oman gen set 6.5 with no spark. New points new condenser new plugs all gapped and I tested the coil. I have power through the points and power to the coil but no spark. I am stumped 

Ivan K

Good deal, you may have to shorten the rear lugs on them, that's what the factory did on mine and reuse the old bolts. Not the best access to the top, long arms are a bonus.

John Haggard
5 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Good deal, you may have to shorten the rear lugs on them, that's what the factory did on mine and reuse the old bolts. Not the best access to the top, long arms are a bonus.

My son in law is 6.7 with very long arms 

They will visit for a week in February 🤗😉

This is from the underside.

Not the best pictures 😕 

20210114_120509.jpg

20210114_120435.jpg

swsmitty535
Swsmitty535

2006 Monaco Diplomat anyone know where the switch is for the map light above the window on drivers seat?

Oman generator
John Haggard
19 minutes ago, Mr Keith said:

I have a 1986 Oman gen set 6.5 with no spark. New points new condenser new plugs all gapped and I tested the coil. I have power through the points and power to the coil but no spark. I am stumped 

Install a new coil.

Do you have new plug wires ???

At the most you will have a spare coil.

Oman generator
Mr Keith

I actually have a 2nd coil and plug wires but still no spark 

Ivan K

Yeah, good use of family resources. I remember the driver side being worse because of all the cable bundles going that way to the FRB. It will make a great difference though, when done.

swsmitty535
Corgidad

Hi Steve, on my 04 Endeavor you turn the headlight switch to the left for my map light. 

Oman generator
Ivan K

Does it use a capacitor? Could be bad.

Oman generator
Mr Keith

There is a capacitor on the -side of the coil that I replaced as well 

swsmitty535
bklaes

Yep

swsmitty535
Swsmitty535

Could you share that location?

swsmitty535
Jim Byrd

On left side of the dash, next to the wiper switch.

Oman generator
Ivan K

So you have the points adjusted to close and open with the shaft rotation, capacitor body grounded and its positive isolated from body and connected to points arm and negative coil post. Shaft is turning when cranking. Sounds right? 

You can eliminate the cap just for testing by plugging a test spark plug directly into coil's high voltage cable and grounding the plug body. Have you tried that? 

Oman generator
Mr Keith

The condenser body is grounded and the wire goes to the positive side of the coil. The capacitor body is grounded and goes to the negative side of the coil. I have the points gapped at 20 I have also tested it without the capacitor on the negative side of the coil. I also stuck a screwdriver in the coil and touched it with my finger to see if the spark was weak but there was nothing

Oman generator
Vince Toscano

How is the cap on the points? Do you have the old points? you may want to put the points and cap back in and try checking for a spark.

Vince Toscano

Was that the only item that was drawing power from the inverter?

John Haggard
1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Yeah, good use of family resources. I remember the driver side being worse because of all the cable bundles going that way to the FRB. It will make a great difference though, when done.

Oman generator
Ray Davis

You have the coil and condenser wired wrong

image.jpeg.b69ceb6ff15201794fb8bf578e25016a.jpeg

Oman generator
Ivan K
11 minutes ago, Mr Keith said:

The condenser body is grounded and the wire goes to the positive side of the coil. The capacitor body is grounded and goes to the negative side of the coil.

This is confusing, how many condenser/capacitors do you have there? The positive condenser/capacitor should go to negative coil side.

Oman generator
Ray Davis
16 minutes ago, Mr Keith said:
5 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

This is confusing, how many condenser/capacitors do you have there? The positive condenser/capacitor should go to negative coil side.

It looks like he has the condenser connected across the coil and the coil neg grounded..  See the diagram

Oman generator
Mr Keith

It has one of each . One on each side of the coil. The parts catalog said one was the condenser and the other was a capacitor I have never seen that but I replaced them both just in case

Ray, thanks for the diagram. I may have miss spoke about which side of the coil these wires go to but the points and condenser are on one side and the capacitor is on the other side and because the coil is all the way in the back I obviously thought the points and condenser we’re on the positive side but that must be the negative side I will double check in the morning thanks 

Oman generator
Ray Davis

The condenser should be across the points and they both connect to the neg side of the coil.   The positive side of the coil goes to 12v.  If you have a condenser   connected to the positive side of the coil it is probably to kill radio etc interference 

This diagram may be a little clearer, I hope it helps

See the source image

Oman generator
Ivan K

Well, condenser = capacitor. I don't know why there is one on positive side of the coil, maybe for radio emissions. Either way, the only way you should see ground on negative side of the coil is when the points are closed.

Oman generator
Mr Keith

They did tell me that’s what the other one was for  and thanks for all the input from everyone. 

belt tensioner
Rikadoo

So far I have tried a few different part #s the only one that has been "close" was what I received from the Dayco website, they did not have a listing for 2003 but they did have one for a 2004 HR endeavor which was a 89481 Dayco. However with that one the "timing" of the locating tab was off enough to think the difference would be too much to achieve proper tightness of the belt. So for now I have reinstalled the original one so I can move the coach and as soon as the holiday is over I plan on reaching out to the Mfg. to see if they can cross the old #s. I will say this adventure has made me understand just how many options that are out there. I suspect sense the #s stamped on the old tensioner may relate to the special specific design adapted for this application rather that a "regular" part for the engine family. Soon as I get more info I will update the post 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.