Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/308-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

8D Napa Chassis battery 1100 CCA
wamcneil
Bad fuel
wamcneil
Beeping caution horn
Fred L
Bad fuel
jacwjames
Batteries
Yoaks5
App for locating camp sites
Mike H
Beeping caution horn
sjamiejones
mswmckeown 03 Signature
INDY DIXONS
mswmckeown 03 Signature
vito.a
Atwood Cycle On/Off
Jim McGarvie
Open Ground
veraken
Beeping caution horn
Fred L
mswmckeown 03 Signature
Rob M cKeown
Beeping caution horn
dl_racing427
Valid Air Leveling System Rookie Question
Keith Moffett
Pepperell
Open Ground
Dennis H
Open Ground
Ivan K
36' Glendinning 50 amp Power Cord
Johnny Mo
Open Ground
Dennis H
Open Ground
Ivan K

Wiring diagrams for 2005 Safari Cheetah 36PDD
Gerald H

Need any diagrams of both AC or/and DC wiring, thanks 

willbo777

The Valid system is different from the HWH in that the aux pump runs only based on the 90/120 pressure switch, turning off the leveling panel will not turn the aux pump off.  I like others have wired in a switch to near my leveling panel so I can turn it off.  The aux pump only pumps up a small leveling tank.  I also moved my aux pump inside a cargo bay to get it out of the weather.  If it runs and doesn't shut off the pump is bad or there is a leak between the pump and the tank.  If your coach sits for 5 days normally without the aux pump running it appears you don't have much of a system leak.  My pump runs 2-3 times a day for less than a minute.  Monaco also hooked many of them up wrong, the check valve needs to be at the aux pump not at the tank.

8D Napa Chassis battery 1100 CCA
wamcneil
19 hours ago, vito.a said:

I no longer use the large 8D batteries.  I'm using two NAPA Group 31 batteries rated at 1100CCA each.  They are 12V and I connect them in parallel.  They crank better and last longer than the 8D batteries.  Plus they are much easier to handle.  

I can vouch for this configuration. My rig came stock with two group 31s in parallel. 
Cheers

Walter

Bad fuel
wamcneil
15 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Ray,

the biocide prevents growth, but you will need an enzyme to remove any existing dead algae. 

Biobor JF is the algecide I use at every fill up to prevent algae. There are many good ones  

About twice a year, I put a bottle of Star Brite from Startron in my tank. It contains enzymes that purportedly digest the dead algae and “polishes” the fuel. 

Star Tron Enzyme Diesel Fuel Treatment - Super Concentrated Formula https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HWUZBO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Ux1bGbGZB1Q8Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It might be worth a try... it’s a lot easier than cleaning the tank! At a minimum it stabilizes the fuel. 

I read a article in a boating magazine that also recommended this approach. 
Cheers

Walter

Beeping caution horn
Fred L

Okay, an update.  I was able to find the switch in the RV. Also found a new switch at a reasonable price. Hope it gets here before I leave. Does anyone know if you loose all air pressure when you remove the switch? Do you have to release the parking brake when doing the change. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as all the comments to date.

Perry GA FMCA and a vendor for Balance Masters
Ray Davis
9 hours ago, Keith Moffett said:

What shots?

Pretty sure it's the covid vaccine shots,  and it would be either pfizer or moderna at this time

Bad fuel
jacwjames

When I first bought my rig I took it to Cummins for a complete service and inspection.  It passed with flying colors. Then went on a trip to AK and when I returned I did another service on it as I clocked 15K miles.  When I pulled the fuel filter I found it was almost clogged with a black slime.  The dreaded Algae.

I know at work, when mothballing equipment they recommended using a biocide and the maintenance department used Biobor.  So that's what I started using.  Problem with just using the Biobor is that it kills the dead algae but it accumulates in the tank.  More research lead me to start using Startron, an enzyme that breaks down the dead algae.  I haven't had a problem since, that's been 11 years.   I would make sure to use both in a full fuel when I know I won't be using the coach for a while.

Back in 2017 we started building our new house and knew there was no way I'd be able to use the coach since I was the general contractor on the house and was going to be doing as much of the work myself.  So I  made sure the fuel was full and treated with both Biobor and Startron.  I only drove the coach a couple times to get propane and move it to the new house location where I actually stayed in it for ~1 year, again only moving it periodically.  Fast forward to early 2000, (yup didn't use the coach during this time), and due to the virus knew I wasn't going to use the coach so I started pulling fuel from the tank to use in my tractor.  I was able to pull 85 gallons over a ~6 month period, always watching the condition of the fuel and found no signs of algae or contamination.  Finally took the coach for a long run and filled the coach back up with no adverse affects, yes I went back with doses of Biobor and Startron.

You should probably do some research on how to change the fuel filters.  Getting stuck on the side of the road ain't fun.  I carry a couple sets of filters and can change myself just in case.

2004 Monaco Knight-Ice Maker Water Supply Shut Off Location?
hitechpete
20 hours ago, SteveJ said:

second (or third) the thought that the shutoff is below the refrigerator - my panel was held on by hinges on both sides! Had to take off 4 screws and it swung open for access to the cutoff.

Why did they attach it like that? My 2000 Diplomat is the same!

amphi_sc

Ivan, I hope the tech asks easy questions.  Not sure I could accurately measure those distances on the coach.  I can count lugs but that is about it.

Keith, (Hello fellow '07 Patriot Thunder driver). Shot comment was just a random side thought as I'm thinking ahead about the future as Canada border still closed, and who knows what international travel might require going forward.  Couldn't get across last year. I remember decades ago having to get shots and the yellow vaccination record card to get into some countries.  Will we need a Covid "passport"?  Who knows at this point, but we want to travel again, and while Moderna was available we started the process.  Long term side effects unknown but we may be gone or unable to travel by then anyway.  I understand the concerns and hesitations of others. 

Sorry for the distraction from my main concern of getting the right balance masters for my coach.

Batteries
Yoaks5

I took my coach (04 Navigator with ISM) to Cummins in Des Moines which has been very good at fixing issues I either can't figure out or don't want to fix. The first time they told me the starting batteries were bad and needed replaced. This had nothing to do with the issue diagnosed (bad injector). I have never had an issue with these batteries although they are older 4-5 years I would guess. Took it in another time for a low power issue (turbo actuator) and they told me the house batteries were bad and needed replaced. These are 2 years old and there are 8 of them. 

I haven't changed any of the batteries to date and still haven't had any issues with them. Maybe I will find out that these are bad at sometime but at this point I am a bit skeptical on their battery testing procedure. 

Mike H
On 1/18/2021 at 8:23 PM, Bob Priest said:

I was wondering if any one could recommend a app or web site that would help find camp sites along route on a trip

Thanks

Bob Priest 

Bob,

I have been using RV Trip Wizard for several years and in my opinion it is the best service available and worth every penny for the annual subscription.  It is now incorporated with RV Life and is continually being improved with new features.  They offer a free trial of it to try.  You can also Google it and find quite a few YouTube Videos about how to use it.  After you establish your route it will identify every campground available, park or whatever, that you set as your desired criteria.  You can then pull up reviews, costs, photos, their website, etc. for which campground you may be interested in.  It will even show elevation changes along your route, which may be handy if you're heading over the Continental Divide with an air mattress 🙂 .   Also, based on your fuel tank size and MPG it will let you know when you'll be needing to stop for fuel so you can be prepared ahead of time.   I honestly don't know how I could plan a trip without it.  With it now being incorporated with the RV Life app you can track yourself on your phone, or tablet, in real time just like with a GPS.  I'm certainly not recommending you not having a good RV GPS though.

Beeping caution horn
sjamiejones

Yes, replacing the switch is more difficult to get to than it is to replace, but you do need to drain the air pressure when changing the switch. Keep in mind that the circuit design is the problem and your new switch will be compromised by that same bad circuit design and may fail sooner than later.

mswmckeown 03 Signature
INDY DIXONS

Hi Rob, we too have a 03 Signature, 525 ISX 45 ft.  We are having lighting issues. Intermittent ones don't want to light up, we have changed bulbs and they still won't light. The ones under the kitchen counter, a couple over the hall way kitchen area. We have checked fuses and to no avail.  Have you had issues? What was your solution.  Thanks for your feedback.  The delay in this is just due to cleaning out email. Moving all of Monaco ?? over to a folder.

mswmckeown 03 Signature
vito.a

You probably should start a new thread with the lighting problem. 

Almost all of your lights are 12v.  The fuses are the small blade fuses in your bath or closet.  

If a fuse doesn't fix it, then get out the voltmeter and start checking for voltage at the switches and work backwards.  

Atwood Cycle On/Off
Jim McGarvie

This discussion raises the question, what is normal cycling?

We have an Atwood 8535-IV-DCLP furnace, 19 years old. Our burner is normally on for 60% of the time the blower is running. Should it be greater than that?

I was concerned we were wasting battery power (we most often dry camp) with the blower running but no burner, until I checked the air temperature at one of our ducts. When the burner is running it is approx. 160 degrees, but when the burner shuts off and the blower keeps running it only drops to about 140, so I guess we aren't losing too much.

If 60% burner-on time is about normal I won't worry about blockages; if it isn't I will start looking.

We have another issue which may or may not be related. Intermittently (yeah, I know) the furnace will shut down prior to reaching the thermostat setting temperature. It will run normally for three or so burner on/off cycles, then after an off cycle the burner comes on with a "wumph" sound like it is trying to light but doesn't stay lit. After the cool-down cycle the blower shuts down. I can repeat the cycle by turning the thermostat off and waiting a couple of minutes, then turning it back on. If I don't manually recycle it, the furnace will reset itself after an hour or so and try again. I am guessing this issue might be caused by the flame sensor.

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

Open Ground
veraken
On 6/16/2020 at 2:42 PM, Dennis H said:

I always check the pedestal before plugging in. I also use the Hughes Autoformer. I made, probably the same tester as John that I use. If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can find the parts list and instructions. I have them in a pdf file somewhere. I purchased everything at a local Home Depot and it wasn't very expensive. It's saved me a couple times already. I also found a 50amp plug at  a campground wired as a 30amp. Yeah, I made them change it out. If someone's interested, let me know and I'll go search my log files......Dennis

I'd be interested in making the pedestal tester you made.  Could you please post the parts list and instructions to make one.  Thanks!

Kit to replace Intec mirror mounted side cameras
pwhittle

We are now including an installation manual with the kits with hints and pictures.

if anyone else that has a kit wants it, let me know and I can email it to you.

Paul

Beeping caution horn
Fred L

Do I need to release the Parking Brake? The RV loses all it's air over several days. It appears that the back loses air first. Not a real problem over night but after a few days it's sitting down in the back. I think I can remove the screws holding the switch and pull the switch up through the cup holder hole. It look's like enough line to come through. Thanks 

mswmckeown 03 Signature
Rob M cKeown

Indy Dixons,

I have not had an issue with any of the 12v lights. I did change all of the 2" halogen bulbs to LED's. There is 64 total in the coach.  

Rob (03 Sig)

willbo777

Josam's in Orlando is a dealer.  Talk to Barry.

96 EVO
7 hours ago, willbo777 said:

Monaco also hooked many of them up wrong, the check valve needs to be at the aux pump not at the tank.

I haven't moved my check valve, but when my compressor started running more frequently than normal, I removed the valve and sprayed a little lube into it.

I can now go days without the compressor starting.

Gary M

Trying to help! Been searching searching searching.

Beeping caution horn
dl_racing427

The switch is on the output side of the park brake valve, so if the parking brakes are set, there should be no pressure on the switch.
Of course, this assumes you don't have to disconnect any hoses.

Keith Moffett
5 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

Ivan, I hope the tech asks easy questions.  Not sure I could accurately measure those distances on the coach.  I can count lugs but that is about it.

Keith, (Hello fellow '07 Patriot Thunder driver). Shot comment was just a random side thought as I'm thinking ahead about the future as Canada border still closed, and who knows what international travel might require going forward.  Couldn't get across last year. I remember decades ago having to get shots and the yellow vaccination record card to get into some countries.  Will we need a Covid "passport"?  Who knows at this point, but we want to travel again, and while Moderna was available we started the process.  Long term side effects unknown but we may be gone or unable to travel by then anyway.  I understand the concerns and hesitations of others. 

Sorry for the distraction from my main concern of getting the right balance masters for my coach.

Howdy fellow Beaver!  Are you a BAC member?  Hope so.  

Whats up with wheel balancers?  We have had the beads in ours on other coaches.  New tires on at purchase so no idea about balancers.

CapnDean

In addition to a bad pressure switch, I have discovered that there is a slight air leak at the intake air filter of small air pump.    I confirmed this by removing the threaded in air filter and blocking the hole with my finger.     I’m afraid that this means a bad diaphragm in the pump.    Not completely sure

Keith Moffett

Taking good care of the Valid pump is a good idea.  Ours went bad after 10 years but has been replaced 3 times since.  I have considered going to Canada just to replace the system.

willbo777
42 minutes ago, CapnDean said:

In addition to a bad pressure switch, I have discovered that there is a slight air leak at the intake air filter of small air pump.    I confirmed this by removing the threaded in air filter and blocking the hole with my finger.     I’m afraid that this means a bad diaphragm in the pump.    Not completely sure

I replaced my pump several times, first off with Firestone 9285, and most recently with a Viair 350C.  As I said I moved it into a bay compartment to get it out of the weather.  I am very pleased with the Viair, when it runs, it takes half the time as the Firestone.  It is almost an exact replacement and quite affordable.

amphi_sc

Keith, Thought I might go the more "permanent" dynamic balancing route this time.  Used Equal, etc in the past that I had been happy with balancing out stones picked up in the tread, etc.  BTW, we might be twins...desert sunset paint scheme too, but can't tell if you are also a Winchester III? Claire and Rett tried unsuccessfully to get us to join when we were parked next to them at a SC region rally a few years ago,  I think that was just after they had traded their Marquis.  By the way, did we casually run into each other at Bend Sales a couple years ago ... fall '19?  I remember seeing my twin there and we discussed asbestos on the AH exhaust.  It could have been another exact twin.

My apologies to the group for too much OT rambling ...  Need to figure out how to PM on this board.

Paul A.
20 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Al, I don't know the answer but when I needed mine, I just called them and their tech guy asked a couple of questions and got it right the first time. Just my experience with them.

YEP.

Pepperell

And for GPS I’ve been using Copilot Truck.  You’ll need a couple or so gigs for the on-device maps, but no connection to internet is required.  

Gerald H

Thanks for trying!!!

Open Ground
Dennis H
8 hours ago, veraken said:

I'd be interested in making the pedestal tester you made.  Could you please post the parts list and instructions to make one.  Thanks!

Here you go! The prices may be different as they are a few years old, but everything else should work....

50 Amp Tester.pdf

50Amp Tester Pic_Page_1.jpg

96 EVO

With the air filter off, and the pump running ( tank drain open), give the intake a little mist of good lube oil. Don't drown it, just let it inhale a little mist.

You may not have a bad pressure switch. Just all the air in your aux tank leaking back through your compressor. The 'check valve', isn't really a one way check valve. It has a cracking pressure, which will open up the valve to equalize the pressure on either side.

Yeah, I spent some time studying this system! Some think this 'check valve' was installed in the wrong place, but if everything is working properly, it works fine where it is.

Open Ground
Ivan K

Good idea and looks simple enough. Is there a miss wiring combination that a Progressive EMS would not detect and this one would 

Kit to replace Intec mirror mounted side cameras
redstickbill

Paul,

I would like the installation manual.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

36' Glendinning 50 amp Power Cord
Johnny Mo

I an interested in your Power Cord.

You can call text or email me.

909 238 3516

vlyspl@yahoo.com

Open Ground
Dennis H
1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Good idea and looks simple enough. Is there a miss wiring combination that a Progressive EMS would not detect and this one would 

Ivan, the point of the tester is so you can check the pedestal install BEFORE ever hooking up your coach. In that case the EMS is a non-issue. Most EMS systems would pick up an irregularity but then again you're going to potentially experience several things....your EMS would have to detect the irregularity and transmit that to you where you'd have to determine what was amiss....or the EMS would miss it and you'd fry some stuff in your rig. I'd rather check the pedestal BEFORE exposing my coach to any irregularities that may exist. Keep in mind what this tester tells you about the pedestal. One, voltage on BOTH legs, proper ground and open neutrals. It also will alert you to correct polarity at both legs. Cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned. A  bonus has been when we camp host. You'd be surprised at how most RVrs handle their plug ins. Additionally, not every rig has a EMS system on board, in which case this would be an immensely valuable tool....hope this helps....Dennis

Open Ground
Ivan K

Makes sense, thanks Dennis

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.