Jump to content

Campground recommendations


Recommended Posts

Any thoughts of having a section for campground recommendations across the US?  I was thinking if broken down by regions it would likely be user searchable.  I know there are apps and websites to use for this, but was thinking having that may benefit the people of this forum.  Clearly, it would take more workfrom the moderators and that may not be worthwhile?  Just thought I'd throw it out for discussion.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Always open to new ideas!  Easy to add.  I’ll work on it this weekend. 
 

Suggestions on how to set up regions would be appreciated...

I have a spreadsheet with all of the campgrounds that we have parked in as GUI-timers for the last nearly 10 years and it has addresses and phone numbers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry guys, but in eighteen years of fulltime RVing and traveling somewhere in the USA or Canada EVERY year, I have found that campground recommendations are nearly useless. After all, we want different things, i.e.,my priorities are different than yours. Plus, we have different needs, too. I have learned to call a campground with my set of questions. I always speak to someone there who "knows" the property.

When asking for information relative to making a campground reservation, ask them anything you need to know to make a good decision. For example, our TV satellite dish is roof-mounted close to the middle of our RV. We only get “recordable” TV if our dish has a clear “shot” at the southern sky. Cable is NOT an option for us as we cannot record some shows and we never watch a commercial. So, I always ask if the campsite is open to the Southern sky. Someone in that office usually knows the answer. If they don’t, I go somewhere else.

Sometimes you get surprised...

One time I called a campground named “Shady Oaks” for a possible reservation. Regarding my “Southern Sky and TV dish” issue, I asked my usual question: “Was the site open to the Southern Sky?” The lady paused for a moment and said “No! Why do you think they named this place “Shady Oaks!” 

We didn’t stay there.

Now, after all this, if another RVer has recommended a campground to me, I will likely call to check it out. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. 

Good Luck.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ron Jones said:

One time I called a campground named “Shady Oaks” for a possible reservation. Regarding my “Southern Sky and TV dish” issue, I asked my usual question: “Was the site open to the Southern Sky?” The lady paused for a moment and said “No! Why do you think they named this place “Shady Oaks!” 

The lady was pretty sharp 😄   or they get asked the same question often.  Many people have no idea what a southern sky is,  I've seen a few working at campgrounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost without fail, I will use Google Maps, satellite view to check out a campground. If I reserve a particular site, I zero in on that site and don't have to rely on someone knowing where the 'southern sky' is. Heck, many folks don't know the difference between your and you're. 😉 Just like the size of the 'pad'. Sure! you'll fit, no problem, but they forgett to mention their roads are too narrow for you to get to the site. I like the idea but I also know it's a huge project. I started to include 'Big Rig Sites' on my blog with pictures but wow, lots of work. Mods are right up there with Saints. Like Ron said, everyone's 'thing' is different, just like our opinions. Things that are important to us is whether cell service is good or non existent, ATT and Verizon, whether the campground is clean and inviting, or peppered with homeless schoolies, 50amp functioning service, good water incl pressure, etc. etc. If Scotty were to go ahead with this project I believe he should set up a checklist of what the preferences are, include that in the post and stick to it if possible. I'm amazed that there is a request that all profile pics are supposed to be a small size to save bandwidth but many posts contain a page and a half of their rig. Guess people just post without reading, and it does keep the mods out of the bars at night.....ok rant over....Dennis

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I added this section today, but will closely monitor it for the first several weeks.  While I appreciate the comments above, sometimes when you're going to an unfamiliar part of the country it's good to have a place to start looking.

If it becomes a useful tool, we'll refine it as it goes.  If not, I have a "delete" button for forums... 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Scotty.  I think it will help a lot of people out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 11:27 AM, Dennis H said:

Things that are important to us is whether cell service is good or non existent, ATT and Verizon, whether the campground is clean and inviting, or peppered with homeless schoolies,

Yeah talk about the schoolies we have been there a few times.  I don't want to be judgemental but some are a little scary and that tends to make me suspicious of anyone that seems a little out of place.   I hear a little noise at night and think oh my what did I leave out.

It's good sometimes just to hear how others select campgrounds, there is always someone doing it a little different and maybe better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 11:40 AM, Ron Jones said:

Sorry guys, but in eighteen years of fulltime RVing and traveling somewhere in the USA or Canada EVERY year, I have found that campground recommendations are nearly useless. After all, we want different things, i.e.,my priorities are different than yours. Plus, we have different needs, too. I have learned to call a campground with my set of questions. I always speak to someone there who "knows" the property.

When asking for information relative to making a campground reservation, ask them anything you need to know to make a good decision. For example, our TV satellite dish is roof-mounted close to the middle of our RV. We only get “recordable” TV if our dish has a clear “shot” at the southern sky. Cable is NOT an option for us as we cannot record some shows and we never watch a commercial. So, I always ask if the campsite is open to the Southern sky. Someone in that office usually knows the answer. If they don’t, I go somewhere else.

Sometimes you get surprised...

One time I called a campground named “Shady Oaks” for a possible reservation. Regarding my “Southern Sky and TV dish” issue, I asked my usual question: “Was the site open to the Southern Sky?” The lady paused for a moment and said “No! Why do you think they named this place “Shady Oaks!” 

We didn’t stay there.

Now, after all this, if another RVer has recommended a campground to me, I will likely call to check it out. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. 

Good Luck.

Hi Ron

Aren't you the one who was running the test on Lithium house batteries bout 15 or so years ago? If you are, how did they work out?

Jack Sangalli

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack,

 

Re your question about the lithium batteries... Yes, that was me. We finished the test (5 years long) and they were fine (my opinion). That was just four years ago - not 15!!! When we finished the test, we traded in our Dynasty and got another motorhome. The battery "company" told me  to just leave the batteries in the Dynasty - NOT return them - so we did. I have NO idea where they are nor how they are now.

The batteries worked for us and we were boondocking an average of 12 nights per month as I recall. Now, we boondock much less than we did back then so I do not have lithium in my current coach.

Ron

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...