No warm air {heat} while driving from aqua hot

Woody O

I still think you are air bound. Likely right at the engine. You Aquahot is a low point so it’s not surprising to see coolant there when you removed a hose. I think I would try extending both hoses higher than the engine and fill each one with engine coolant, pinch, then reattach as a next step. 

16 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Woody, may not make a difference, but I would have run the engine till it got to over 185, and the thermostat opened.

Just thinking maybe coolant is restricted from flowing thru that loop until the thermostat opens.

Very good point but wouldn’t his trip down the road have forced coolant through?  

Edited by Chargerman

22 hours ago, k7jv said:

About all that it could be would be some kind of a restriction in the engine loop.  The ONLY things that were touched were presumably the two hoses, right?

A check valve not opening? (if there is one, and if the hoses were reversed at one end or the other)

A restriction, or kink in one of the runs they installed?

The engine pre-heat zone pump in the AquaHot chose this exact time to seize?  Or they could have let some kind of debris or something in the inlet line that worked its way into the pump and stalled the impeller causing a restriction.  Two thoughts on this one.  Those pumps are not shaft driven.  The impellers are magnetically coupled to the drive motor thru the walls of the two enclosures.  Second, I don't recall the exact design of the impeller as to whether stopping it from turning would stop the coolant flow or just slow it a bit.

Before pulling lines to "prime" them, can you pull both at the engine end and see if you can blow compressed air thru the entire loop, perhaps in both directions?  I think you'd only be talking about a couple of liters of ENGINE COOLANT.  (This loop does NOT contain AquaHot boiler fluid).  You could even take them loose at the AquaHot end first and then the engine end, and capture what is in the lines and re-use it if you don't have any to replace it.  (By blowing both directions you could confirm the possible presence or absence of a check valve.  That would tell you whether you would need to swap the hoses.)

I would not expect to have to prime the lines.  

The "Engine Heat" only powers the zone pump.  That is not in play in the situation Woody O is facing.

It doesn't sound like you've torn into anything with tools, yet, and if true, hopefully the task will be minima if and when you dol.  I hope this doesn't become a real monster for you, but I actually don't think that it will, especially if you are able to get to the engine end of the hoses relatively easily, and if you are able to do what you need to do without spreading anti-freeze all around the neighborhood.  If you need to remove a hose and keep fluids in it, you can use a pair of needle-nose ViseGrip pliers to pinch off the hose prior to removing it.  I've done that many times and it works really well.

Good luck!!

I want to thank everyone who gave me positive advice.  This forum is GREAT and you guys have saved me countless times over the years!  At this point, I know what to do and will do it when I get back home after this trip as you can't perform these tasks in a resort. Thanks again! 

Woody O