Micro-air Thermostat

I installed one soft start in the bedroom and was looking forward to less of a thud when the compressor starts.  It seems to be the same or maybe even more of a thud now.  I haven't tried on less than 50a yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 10:20 AM, wamcneil said:

I seriously doubt that could ever work. The thermostat is connected to the first AC, and then there's a data cable from the first AC (zone1) to the 2nd AC (Zone2). So for the thermostat to control both old and new ACs, it'd need to speak two languages down the same wire. 

The MicroAir can handle 4 zones. 

8 minutes ago, Grampy OG said:

The MicroAir can handle 4 zones. 

Yes, but that post refers to using the MicroAir with both OLD and NEW Penguin AC's.

It may be the newest and smartest technology for AC's but I don't think it is THAT smart.

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Yes, but that post refers to using the MicroAir with both OLD and NEW Penguin AC's.

It may be the newest and smartest technology for AC's but I don't think it is THAT smart.

Thank you for the clarification. I missed that fact. I did not realize that the new/old were not still daisy chained to the same thermostat. I learn something new everyday. Just out of interest does that mean if somebody blew an original a/c they had to replace both or are the old ones still being sold?

15 hours ago, Grampy OG said:

Just out of interest does that mean if somebody blew an original a/c they had to replace both or are the old ones still being sold?

The old style Penguin is no longer sold unless someone has really OLD stock left in inventory. However there is a converter board that can be purchased for the new AC so it will run with the old CCC thermostat.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:28 AM, Dr4Film said:

The old style Penguin is no longer sold unless someone has really OLD stock left in inventory. However there is a converter board that can be purchased for the new AC so it will run with the old CCC thermostat.

Thank you for the clarification Doc!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to get this thermostat but I still have the 4-button CCC in my unit (along with the original 22 year old AC units). 

Apparently I need to install two new boards that support the 5-button Dometic thermostat in order for the Microair to work. The problem is, Dometic will not tell me what boards I need! Same with Microair. 6 emails into Dometic and not one answer with a part number!

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I wanted to get this thermostat but I still have the 4-button CCC in my unit (along with the original 22 year old AC units). 

Apparently I need to install two new boards that support the 5-button Dometic thermostat in order for the Microair to work. The problem is, Dometic will not tell me what boards I need! Same with Microair. 6 emails into Dometic and not one answer with a part number!

Depending on how much you want to trust them, these are the instructions for the 4 button thermostat on the microair website.

Not Compatible Without Upgrading Your
Air Conditioner Control Board.
Control Board Upgrade Options: Not Sold By Micro-Air

Upgrading to the CCC (3109229.009) or CCC1 (3311557.000) control board would allow you to use our ASY-357-X01 (black) or ASY-357-X02 (white)

Upgrading to the CCC2 (3312227.000) control board would allow you to use our
ASY-350-X01 (black) or ASY-350-X02 (white)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Note: Technical support is NOT available for the installation and or configuration upgrades of the control board, all questions should be directed to the AC manufacturer.

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

I... The problem is, Dometic will not tell me what boards I need! Same with Microair. 6 emails into Dometic and not one answer with a part number!

Yeah, dometic doesn’t provide support… My new AC came with one half of a modular connector and I was having trouble finding the other half so I called to ask if I should have received the other half, and if not maybe give me a part number???

I did get someone on the phone. The answer was “Sorry. Call your reseller. We don’t answer questions “. 
While I haven’t actually changed a board, I have compared the boards in my original penguin to my new penguin II. The new penguin II has an ambient temperature sensor that the older ACs don’t have.  Otherwise looks to me like the connections to the circuit board are all the same. So unless dometic changed the default mode on the reversing valve, I think the boards are all interchangeable. 
Cheers

Walter

Guest Ray Davis
On 8/16/2021 at 7:57 AM, wamcneil said:

So unless dometic changed the default mode on the reversing valve, I think the boards are all interchangeable. 

I do recall a change was made in the reversing default,  but I don't know when or if that would make a difference whether you could or couldn't use a board.

Edited by Ray Davis

On 8/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, wamcneil said:

Yeah, dometic doesn’t provide support… My new AC came with one half of a modular connector and I was having trouble finding the other half so I called to ask if I should have received the other half, and if not maybe give me a part number???

I did get someone on the phone. The answer was “Sorry. Call your reseller. We don’t answer questions “. 
Walter

I my recent experience over the last few years, Dometic, never a stellar company to start with, is rapidly trying to overtake Lippert as the "King of Non-Support" and the manufacturer of increasingly poor quality products.  Their poor quality often begins with the weak engineering staff's performance in the design stages.  Witness the rollout of the highly-touted NXT A/C unit several years ago.  All the reports (from Dometic) were of how technologically advanced it was.  It all read so well, I delayed replacing my two roof units for almost two years as I waited for the product to become available.  I finally gave up and bought two then-current Brisk Air 15K units.

In all the time I tried to get info by calling Dometic, I got the response Walter got.  And they told me to "contact our highly trained resellers" for information.  I finally called three of the largest retailers in the country.  Two of them had never HEARD of the NXT.  One said, "Oh, that's only for the European market."  So much for "highly trained"!  Years after being announced, the NXT units are finally becoming available, but are certainly not garnering any rave reviews--just another mediocre Dometic product.  I wish I had bought Coleman, the choice of most high-end coaches.

And look what happened to Fantastic Fan.  When it was a family-owned business, their customer service was LEGENDARY.  Once acquired by Dometic, the product (which they don't appear to have changed, other than adding a remote control) is still very good, but customer support is non-existent.  I bought two of the units to update mine primarily because they had a remote control for use by my short wife.  After installation, I discovered that either remote would operate either fan.  Try as you would, you could not stop one remote from operating both fans at once.  I was sure there must be differently coded remotes (or ways to flip DIP switches).  I called Dometic.  REPEATEDLY.  Finally got some clueless desk jockey to tell me that "All our remotes are coded alike and cannot be changed."  Mediocre engineering strikes again!

I have decided to vote with my wallet.  I will not buy another Dometic product of any kind.

• Like 3

I looked into some of the part numbers Microair supplied but was not comfortable they were correct. Some of them seemed to track back to other AC units and that caused me concern that they may not be correct. In my case, the two units are not heat pumps. They are the original Penguin I units with the metal condenser shroud. 

It's sad that Dometic seems to refuse to provide help with purchasing their products. At least, for these old units. I did contact them on behalf of a neighbor for her Brisk II unit and they responded very quickly with the right part numbers...just not for mine...

I certainly don't want to replace my AC units unless absolutely necessary. I'm of the opinion that these 20+ year old units are much higher quality.

I'm pretty sure you just need a standard board out of a penguin. The presence of heat pump and other options should just be dip switch settings. The circuit board has terminals for the compressor, fan and a few other things. It's not something that's highly specialized or sophisticated.  

Have you checked ebay? I've got a non-functional penguin heat pump i could take the board off of.

That's what I thought but all of them are non-returnable so if you get the wrong one you have to fire it back through the auction. 

Is it hard for you to determine the part # on the spare you have lying around?

Also, I thought I saw somewhere that if you have two AC units you have to use different part numbers for each one. Don't know if it's true or not....