Generator Service

allphase8

Just had a Generator Service done in Mesa, AZ (Phoenix Area)

I rarely suggest places for service as this does not seem to fit all and outcomes can vary.

That being said I feel that should your generator (Cummins only) be in need of minor to major service you will be satisfied with the results of working with Chuck Chapman (Office 480 257 5288

Mobile 480 825 2589 email Chuck@AZgenerator.com)

He is strictly a mobile service provider and came to our spot in the park we were staying.

He provided a major service that included all filters, new belt, oil and radiator service, new thermostat, radiator cap and valve lash adjust.

He has no problem with you watching him provide the service and will answer any and all questions.

He is also OK with you providing parts, I supplied all filters and oil.

He provided me a detailed quote prior to doing the work (it reflected the worse are scenario) and then when providing the service discussed the condition of things like water pump, radiator, hoses, ect. and only did the work he thought was needed or I specifically requested and recommended against doing thins that were in his opinion not needed.  In my case he felt the belt was in good shape but I wanted a new one anyway.  

In the end he adjusted the quote for unneeded parts and labor and final bill was about 1/3 of what I was quoted for the same level of service at several RV facilities I had contacted for this service.

In addition my generator is on a slide and he performed the service with out pulling the generator as most of the RV facilities said would have to be done.

All in all he accomplished this in about three hours, left the work area as clean or cleaner then when he arrived.

I was really impressed with his knowledge, professionalism, attention to detail and quality of the service.

Ron

2006 Camelot 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fiat124man said:

Can you give a ball park dollar figure.  I too am in the mesa area.  Jon...

John for what I ended up having done was mid $300.

Cummins quoted me in Q for lot less work at about $1000 (did not need to pull) and would not do anything with the cooling system.

Ron

2006 Camelot

Anyone have recommendations for generator service in Atlanta? 

How do you troubleshoot a generator?  It wouldn't start, so I installed new fuel filter,   Primed over and over (press/hold stop position on start switch), no help.  Cranks OK.  After holding the switch in prime position for awhile, the light in the switch comes on.  Try to start, just cranks but no firing.  Full fuel tank.

2005 HR Scepter.  Diesel generator.  Onan KDKAK.

Edited by daveyjo

daveyjo, have you checked to make sure the 12 vdc pump is working?  Ours did the same thing, crank like crazy and plenty of fuel in  the tank.  It was the electric "pick-up" pump.  Our problem is not constant and have not had it fixed, I think it's a relay, so we had a switch installed to get 12 vdc to the pump to use when we need it.  Our pump will work fine for months then for no reason it doesn't.  Good thing we have the switch.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

2 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

daveyjo, have you checked to make sure the 12 vdc pump is working?  Ours did the same thing, crank like crazy and plenty of fuel in  the tank.  It was the electric "pick-up" pump.  Our problem is not constant and have not had it fixed, I think it's a relay, so we had a switch installed to get 12 vdc to the pump to use when we need it.  Our pump will work fine for months then for no reason it doesn't.  Good thing we have the switch.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Thanks for the idea, Woody.  I'll check it out.  Dave Jones

On 2/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, woodylmiller said:

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

My 12.5 Onan was intermittently not powering the fuel pump, it ended up being the Onan $800 control board.  While troubleshooting it I discovered quite a few folks have put a fuel pump switch in rather than spend the $$.  I think that is a great solution if you do not have Automatic Generator Start (AGS).  I have AGS which I use a lot and didn't see a way to put a switch in which would allow AGS operation.  Perhaps someone has figured out the wiring to activate it with a relay??

11 hours ago, daveyjo said:

Woody, where is the pump?

Dave

Pump is aft of the fuel filter,  should be a small cover, lower rear roadside,  which allows access to the pump.  I replaced the Onan pump with an Airtex E11032 fuel pump. https://airtexasc.com/expert-garage/counterfeit-parts/

6 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

My 12.5 Onan was intermittently not powering the fuel pump, it ended up being the Onan $800 control board.  While troubleshooting it I discovered quite a few folks have put a fuel pump switch in rather than spend the $$.  I think that is a great solution if you do not have Automatic Generator Start (AGS).  I have AGS which I use a lot and didn't see a way to put a switch in which would allow AGS operation.  Perhaps someone has figured out the wiring to activate it with a relay??

Pump is aft of the fuel filter,  should be a small cover, lower rear roadside,  which allows access to the pump.  I replaced the Onan pump with an Airtex E11032 fuel pump. https://airtexasc.com/expert-garage/counterfeit-parts/

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions.  To my astonishment, I primed it for over one minute as the manual says, and it started.  We'll see if it keeps working.

• 10 months later...

Anyone have recommendations for generator service in Atlanta? 

How do you troubleshoot a generator?  It wouldn't start, so I installed new fuel filter,   Primed over and over (press/hold stop position on start switch), no help.  Cranks OK.  After holding the switch in prime position for awhile, the light in the switch comes on.  Try to start, just cranks but no firing.  Full fuel tank.

2005 HR Scepter.  Diesel generator.  Onan KDKAK.

Edited February 1, 2020 by daveyjo

daveyjo, have you checked to make sure the 12 vdc pump is working?  Ours did the same thing, crank like crazy and plenty of fuel in  the tank.  It was the electric "pick-up" pump.  Our problem is not constant and have not had it fixed, I think it's a relay, so we had a switch installed to get 12 vdc to the pump to use when we need it.  Our pump will work fine for months then for no reason it doesn't.  Good thing we have the switch.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

All, I just ran across this post today while looking for information on the same issue.

Are there any updates to this post?

My generator has the same issue.  I have to prime for.an extended period of time and sometimes it still will not crank.  After paying Cummins Atlantic over $500.00, they told.me it was a battrry issue.  I put 4 new batteries in and I am still having the same problem.  In fact, sometimes while driving, the generator will cut off.

I have over 8000.hours on generator and wanted to do a major service; however, the quotes are over $3000.00 because my generator is.not on a slide.

I will check the pump discussed in this posting.  Does anyone have any other thoughts?  Also, any recommendations for a service provider near South Carolina?

Darryl K.

2003 Diplomat 

All, I just ran across this post today while looking for information on the same issue.

Are there any updates to this post?

My generator has the same issue.  I have to prime for.an extended period of time and sometimes it still will not crank.  After paying Cummins Atlantic over $500.00, they told.me it was a battrry issue.  I put 4 new batteries in and I am still having the same problem.  In fact, sometimes while driving, the generator will cut off.

I have over 8000.hours on generator and wanted to do a major service; however, the quotes are over $3000.00 because my generator is.not on a slide.

I will check the pump discussed in this posting.  Does anyone have any other thoughts?  Also, any recommendations for a service provider near South Carolina?

Darryl K.