Surge Tank Replacement

22 hours ago, Jim McGarvie said:

Wilco. Thanks Chris.

Thanks, Paul, but I don't see them on their Products page. I have ordered one from Talin.

There is a video on the home page, lower left hand side. The tank has also been added to their Product Page.

Edited by Paul A.
correction and additional information

I have also developed a leak in Surge tank.  I have included a couple of photos as I have 3 lines coming into the surge tank  - Two larger size black lines tied into one fitting and 1 red line into the other fitting on surge tank.

The red line ties into a cross tube in engine bay compartment which looks like it runs back to radiator(?) sorry for the poor quality photo for crosstube connection ...

Most of the replacement surge tanks look like they are setup for two hose connections directly to the tank.  As I do not have a schematic of cooling system I am not sure what the red line is feeding back to the tank.  Does anyone else have this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Surge_1.jpg

Surge_2.jpg

surge_3v1.jpg

7 hours ago, mandms59 said:

I have also developed a leak in Surge tank.  I have included a couple of photos as I have 3 lines coming into the surge tank  - Two larger size black lines tied into one fitting and 1 red line into the other fitting on surge tank.

The red line ties into a cross tube in engine bay compartment which looks like it runs back to radiator(?) sorry for the poor quality photo for crosstube connection ...

Most of the replacement surge tanks look like they are setup for two hose connections directly to the tank.  As I do not have a schematic of cooling system I am not sure what the red line is feeding back to the tank.  Does anyone else have this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Surge_1.jpg

Surge_2.jpg

surge_3v1.jpg

The smaller red line coming from the thermostat area is to bleed air from the coolant system. Often when changing coolant air gets trapped in the engine. As the engine runs this air will be returned to the top of the surge tank.

On 10/25/2020 at 7:49 AM, throgmartin said:

Jim, yes they are in stock. We had an order from a dealer in Europe come in so we did another production run. Call Amy on Monday and she can help you - 352-942-2653

Hi Chris, Amy sent me a diagram showing the dimensions of your tank, and they indicate it is 1-3/8" wider than the dimensions shown on your website. Unfortunately it is too wide to fit our space so I had to cancel my order and am looking for other alternatives.

Jim

You may want to check with Verlinks. They have the OEM plastic tanks as well as a straight metal tank. I am not a fan of Source tanks. Their other products are good but there have been issues with the surge tank. I know of 2 members on here who had problems with their welds and had to send them back for replacements. One of the members posted on here about his experience and he was livid as he said the welds looked like a grade school kid did them. I seen the pictures of the weld and had to agree with him they were pretty bad. This is why we use one welder who is certified to tig weld pressure vessels.

Monaco never used a standardized tank. I wished they would have. That is why Amy is OCD on measurements. Some of the tanks I have seen on the upper end models are real strange. Most of the aftermarket tanks, including ours is built for the middle to lower end models. I do not know of anyone who custom makes tanks to specific measurements. The cost would be almost double to do a one off tank. We have not considered doing any other size tanks as the engineering drawings, the CAD drawings and then the Cad machine setup would be a lot of money. We only sell the one tank that is specific for the majority of Monaco's and we only use 304 stainless with 316 stainless fittings and sight glass.

10 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

The smaller red line coming from the thermostat area is to bleed air from the coolant system. Often when changing coolant air gets trapped in the engine. As the engine runs this air will be returned to the top of the surge tank.

Bob -thanks for the explanation. 

In reviewing options for replacement tanks (my understanding from Veurinks nylon tank no longer available), they are all setup with 90 deg brass fittings for the two black main hoses; Talin  has (2) 90 degree fittings welded in place.  

My question - can I put a  brass "Reducing Tee" in one of the two black lines at top of tank prior to connecting to  Hose barb fitting and run the red bleed air line to this "Tee" or would I also need to install a check valve into red line? 

I like the Talin Vector tank, however the fittings look to be TIG welded in place; hence the question above about running a "Reducing Tee" into one of the black lines above.

Has anyone used the Vector tank on Monaco/HR  having same return line configuration shown in previous post above?

Thanks/

Mark

11 hours ago, mandms59 said:

Bob -thanks for the explanation. 

In reviewing options for replacement tanks (my understanding from Veurinks nylon tank no longer available), they are all setup with 90 deg brass fittings for the two black main hoses; Talin  has (2) 90 degree fittings welded in place.  

My question - can I put a  brass "Reducing Tee" in one of the two black lines at top of tank prior to connecting to  Hose barb fitting and run the red bleed air line to this "Tee" or would I also need to install a check valve into red line? 

I like the Talin Vector tank, however the fittings look to be TIG welded in place; hence the question above about running a "Reducing Tee" into one of the black lines above.

Has anyone used the Vector tank on Monaco/HR  having same return line configuration shown in previous post above?

Thanks/

Mark

I am not sure on this but would try it without the check valve. Air should migrate to the highest point and I think would eventually arrive at the air space at the top of the surge tank. You could even just plug off that line as it is not required for the cooling system to function.

Mark, the fittings are no longer welded into place. We discontinued that option because Monaco routed those lines in different directions on different coaches.

I am leaving in an hour on a trip so wont be at the shop. Check with Amy to be sure the tanks we have in inventory have the removable fittings. The other change we went to with the tanks is we went to a large sight glass. The sight glasses we use are fused glass good to 1,200 degrees. They are housed in a 316 stainless housing.

13 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Mark, the fittings are no longer welded into place. We discontinued that option because Monaco routed those lines in different directions on different coaches.

I am leaving in an hour on a trip so wont be at the shop. Check with Amy to be sure the tanks we have in inventory have the removable fittings. The other change we went to with the tanks is we went to a large sight glass. The sight glasses we use are fused glass good to 1,200 degrees. They are housed in a 316 stainless housing.

Chris thanks for the update... I will give Amy a call in the morning.  I wanted to confirm actual dimensions as Jim M. mentioned the size was wider than current diagram on website.

Bob- thanks again for info; I was thinking the same thing about capping off the red line, figuring air would find its way to the top through remaining lines if I did not want to mess with installing a Tee.

Regards/

Mark

• 1 year later...