Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/341-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

"Finding common ground"
Barryc737
Ban please
Romeo84
Ban please
Bob Nodine
Ban please
John Haggard
"Finding common ground"
John Haggard
Help Needed With See Vision
Ray Davis
Ban please
Ray Davis
Leaking Air Bags
a4epilot
Ban please
redstickbill
Batteries not charging?
pennzo
Ban please
Scotty Hutto
Batteries not charging?
pennzo
Batteries not charging?
John Haggard
Ban please
David Pratt
Rv Whisper
Scotty Hutto
Batteries not charging?
pennzo
Batteries not charging?
jacwjames
Batteries not charging?
pennzo
Batteries not charging?
John Haggard
Grounds
Chuck B
Grounds
Pepperell
Ban please
Joelsheriff
Coax wiring issue
Bwolff52
"Finding common ground"
Dennis H
Ban please
Dennis H
Grounds
vito.a
Dennis H
Chad A
Coax wiring issue
KevinH
pwhittle
Chad A
Ban please
Romeo84
Coax wiring issue
Bwolff52
"Finding common ground"
Barryc737
Batteries not charging?
pennzo
Batteries not charging?
John Haggard
"Finding common ground"
just_john1
Batteries not charging?
pennzo
Batteries not charging?
John Haggard
Batteries not charging?
Frank Bergamo
Ray Davis
Leaking Air Bags
veraken

"Finding common ground"
Barryc737

We're often suspicious of loose grounds throughout our coaches.  I've seen photos of "bus bars"  with ground wires coming in from multiple electronic/electrical sources, but have never been able to spot anything like that on my coach ('09 HR Scepter).  I've looked inside the dash, in the generator compartment, engine bay and the FRB.  Any hints on where I should be looking?  I've got a couple of issues of "stray electrons" that I'm trying to hunt down and though I would start with checking/tightening grounds wires.

TIA

Ban please
Romeo84

Can we ban ppl that say check the manual? Like honestly this is a friendly group and most ppl won't post something if they have the manual.  Also most tips learned aren't posten in " the manual "...

Replacement of the "Intermediate shaft" on steering column (2000 Diplomat)
vanwill52

Bob Nodine was my first "Guinea Pig" to test out the Watts link stabilization concept.  He gave me enough engineering measurements from his coach to make the very first front Watts link installation.  The rest is history.  Bob is one of the sharpest technical contributors to this forum.  When certain folks on this forum post something, I read what they wrote even if it does not apply to me.  Bob is one of those folks, along with a handful of others.

As Bob previously stated, the best way to check the adjustment of your TRW steering gear is to use one hand on the input shaft of the gear and the other on the Pittman arm.  DEFINITELY not necessary to disconnect the drag link.  Adjust the pinion engagement screw until you feel zero lost motion.  And as often stated, since the rack gear into which the pinion mates is purposely cut on an arc (high in the middle) it is important that you have the steering gear near-perfectly centered when making the adjustment.  It's not rocket science, nor is it difficult.  But if you adjust to zero lost motion when the steering gear is not centered, you will feel a slight "tight spot" when you are driving with the steering gear centered.

Ban please
Bob Nodine
5 hours ago, Romeo84 said:

Can we ban ppl that say check the manual? Like honestly this is a friendly group and most ppl won't post something if they have the manual.  Also most tips learned aren't posten in " the manual "...

Your post escapes me. What is ppl?

Ban please
John Haggard
25 minutes ago, Bob Nodine said:

Your post escapes me. What is ppl?

Guessing ???

People ?

Its in the manual Bob 😉

"Finding common ground"
John Haggard

Different year

But

My aquahot has a ground strip.

And guess what 😳 

My toilet is grounded on that aqua hot ground bar.

I have several in the electrical bay under the drivers side window.

Do you have an electrical map, scematic 

AC and DC ?

Ray Davis
8 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Monaco did some strange things with fuses. Open the front run bay door and look on the inside of that door. Monaco posted where all the hidden fuses are in the coach.

Dennis,  Don't think I've heard of that before.  You may have something unique and worth sharing.   I don't have it,  do others?

Ban please
Ray Davis

It's interesting what annoys ppl.   😬

Leaking Air Bags
a4epilot
22 hours ago, Military RVer said:

Does anyone know who made the air suspension system on the '99 Diplomats? I have a leaking airbag on the Driverside, a very tiny hole and will most than likely going to need a replacement.

Replaced all 8 on my 06 Windsor about a year ago. Purchased from https://www.truckandtrailer.parts/  They know a lot about Monaco. Excellent folks.

Gary K

Ban please
redstickbill

Many folks (ppl) do not have manuals and are asking for assistance and/or advise and may not realize the wealth of information contained in the manuals or our parts list and our files section.

When I see a request for help that I do not have a reasonable answer for, I just go on the the next question/request.  I do read most questions and answers to further my own knowledge and information in the hopes that I can assist someone else where ever that problem may arise, at group gatherings, the person in the next camp site, etc.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

Thanks for everyone's input!  This is what I've found out checking this morning.....the batteries are currently sitting at 5.8 VDC, (checked with the Multimeter), hence the Low Batt warning on the Trace display.   When I run the Genset, I DO have 110 at the outlets.  MW and fridge will work, but Duotherm is not working.  I have checked all fuses in the back of the coach and non are tripped.   I turned the Battery Cutoff switch at the steps back to ON position. 

Can I take a battery charger to the House batteries in an attempt to charge back up and troubleshoot further, or am I better off taking it back to Big Boys storage, hooking back to Shore Power and trying to figure out what else is going on?

Happy 57th Birthday to me....😖

If the Fuse at the Genset is "OFF", could this be my smoking gun?

1614005205478153342430834439965.jpg

Ban please
Scotty Hutto

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll address it more specifically below, but this gives me the opportunity to mention how the site works, and how to report content you feel is “out of bounds”, which may be helpful to newer members.  

The Moderators attempt to address rude or unhelpful comments, but as everyone involved with running this site is a volunteer, there is not someone monitoring the site constantly and we don’t always see every post.  

We have community guidelines that address behavior on the site, and ask that members report rude, abusive, or unhelpful comments.  You can do this when you see one of these comments by clicking the three little dots int he upper right hand corner of that post, and click “Report”.  That will bring it to the attention of the moderators, and one of us will address the comment as soon as possible.

While we’re on the the subject, I’d like to remind everyone that when we DO take action, NO ONE sees it but the offending party.  We will NOT publicly reprimand or take further action where others can see.  As Momma said, “Praise in Public, Punish in Private.”  Unfortunately, this sometimes gives the impression we’re not doing anything, but I promise you... we are.  Finally, I’ll add that there are occasional posts that never see the light of day, or are removed by a moderator almost immediately when posted.

We don’t typically “ban” people unless they are multiple offenders or obvious spammers. We typically follow a 3 step process: 1. warning, 2. Suspension of posting, and 3. Ban.  

As for the “read the manual” comments...  yes, that comment, made without additional advice, comment, or context is not helpful and somewhat rude.  When I see that as the entire post, I usually just delete it.  That said, with all of the different models and years of coaches, it is often necessary to refer folks to the manual of their specific coach, because the poster may not have details available only in the manual. (But I don’t think that’s what’s being discussed here!)

Thanks,

Scotty

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

Well, I turned the Breaker on the Genset itself back to the ON position, but it failed to start, so I started the Bean.  Once the bean started, the Genset fired right up...and it originally showed 92% total charge, but has been dropping since I started the coach. 

So, is it the Coach running or the Genset that is responsible for the charging?  I'm feeling lost and a bit frustrated....before I left for Cummins to get service, I was sheltered, plugged in and everything worked....now, it seems everything's falling apart and I don't where to start to fix it....🤯

16140057540657889810407918764990.jpg

Batteries not charging?
John Haggard
15 minutes ago, pennzo said:

Thanks for everyone's input!  This is what I've found out checking this morning.....the batteries are currently sitting at 5.8 VDC, (checked with the Multimeter), hence the Low Batt warning on the Trace display.   When I run the Genset, I DO have 110 at the outlets.  MW and fridge will work, but Duotherm is not working.  I have checked all fuses in the back of the coach and non are tripped.   I turned the Battery Cutoff switch at the steps back to ON position. 

Can I take a battery charger to the House batteries in an attempt to charge back up and troubleshoot further, or am I better off taking it back to Big Boys storage, hooking back to Shore Power and trying to figure out what else is going on?

Happy 57th Birthday to me....😖

If the Fuse at the Genset is "OFF", could this be my smoking gun?

1614005205478153342430834439965.jpg

The only time you would turn the fuse off is to service the generator. 

It has to be on ALL the time otherwise.

Happy Birthday

Pennzo

🥳

Ban please
David Pratt

NO! the moderators will not "BAN" any member who suggests an individual asking for help to read the manual. My biggest pet peeve is the members who come on the group and when they have a problem they post to the group asking for help, when many of the answers they seek are in the operators manual of the Coach or Component they are having an issue with.

And NO, there are many members who post who have never opened a manual.

I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO WILL ASK A MEMBER ON SOME ISSUES IF THEY HAVE REFERRED TO A MANUAL.

We have an abundance of Data, Files, Manuals along with Tips, Parts List and Vendors that every member has access to research a problem they are having before they post their problem.

It is amazing to me how many owners of these Class A coaches have never read the Owners Manual that come with the Coach, they do not have any Basic working knowledge of how the Transfer Switch, Inverter, A/C heat pumps, Thermostats, Aqua Hot, Aladdin, Cameras, Slide outs, Leveling or Jacks work. All of the basics for these components are covered in the owners manual and also in the individual operating manuals for each component.

This group has some excellent members with much knowledge and experience that are willing to jump in and help out when anyone posts a problem in their expertise.

Another issue we have with those seeking help is to have them at least post the year, make and model of coach they own, "THIS IS A REQUIREMENT OF THIS SITE". Also, when posting a problem it would be great if the make and model of the component that is having an issue be included so that a member is being given the correct information.

We Moderators are here to help the members with the problems they are having with  their coaches, but it will save a lot of time and Bandwidth if members would take it upon themselves to Research the Manuals and other available resources if available first before posting.

EMERGENCY'S DO NOT COUNT, GET ON THE FORUM AND ASK FOR HELP, SO WE CAN HELP.

And yes, we are a very friendly group and are ready to help anyone who is a member.

Rv Whisper
Scotty Hutto

I ordered mine after the post above, and installed it last weekend. I am monitoring:

- Coach temp and humidity

- Fridge temp

- Wet bay temp and humidity

- House battery voltage

I have a fairly weak cell signal at my coach (1-2 bars) but have no problem receiving data and alerts. (This connects through a ToGo RoadLink [aka Winegard ConnecT 2.0] that is on 24/7)

It was easy and straightforward to set up. i did have one battery sensor that was DOA, and they shipped a replacement immediately, no questions asked. (I thought the customer service was great! Very friendly, helpful, and interested in getting me working properly)

The app is good, not great... you have to log back in if you’ve switched to another app or closed your phone.  (it remembers the details for you).  In addition to the app there is a website you can use to check the coach. 

It’s already helped me identify that my house batteries were not charging fully, and my chassis batteries not charging at all. Turns out I had a bad battery temperature sensor on my Magnum Inverter, which was causing the inverter to only charge house batteries to 12.7vdc, and the chassis batteries not at all.

The alerts are very customizable and work as advertised.

I plan to add a chassis battery monitor and a freezer temp monitor. May add the tank monitors later if it all continues to work well. 

Scottu

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

John, Frank and Steven!

Thank you for your prompt replies and support.  I have since turned off the coach, and the Genset seems to be "Bulk Charging" and I'm at 71%  of Full.  I have turned everything else off (with the exception of the MW, doesn't seem to be an OFF button for that 🤭)

I will continue to allow it to run until I've check the house batteries with my multimeter to verify proper voltage...

Now, onto bigger fish....I am eating 15A fuses for the right side dinette lighting area...no porch or handle.light, either....time to remove/check all lighting devices, put a new 15A in and slowly reintroduce each fixture until I get a blown fuse..there should be my issue...

Can't help but have a nagging doubt thinking it's the door handle...it was recently installed at Lakeland's Creative Coach...but we could never get it to turn on.....but admittedly we were a bit oblivious, as writing  a large check for the many repairs was overwhelming. 

I need to do better at troubleshooting for my self...and my pocketbook.   😆

Batteries not charging?
jacwjames

The breaker that is shown in the photo is in the OFF position.  This is preventing power from going to the transfer switch.  So before when you got the generator running it was not feeding power to the coach.  

With  in the ON position it will provide power to the transfer switch and start charging the batteries. 

In most cases the transfer switch is set to give the generator priority, even if you are plugged in to shore power.  

If you are not familiar with the systems in your coach take the time to thoroughly read the manual.  Mine does a pretty decent job of explaining everything and even though I've owned my coach for ~12 years I still take the time to pull it out an review different systems, especially the more complicated ones.  I spend hours reading both Monacoers.org and IRV2.com posts.  If I see one that peaks my interest I will even dig into the problem a little more and download any info I can on it.  I have an extensive library of documents for the systems on my coach. 

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

Jim,

I see you own a Windsor, too!  👍

Yes, I was going thru the Owners Manual last night, but will admit it was a bit lean in content.  Informative but generic.  I too have reviewed/researched iRV2, this site and Google, of course, among others for more understanding and insight into the inner workings of our coach.  

I will eventually own a library of research for the systems in our coach and as I gain more experience from ownership and the experiences of others.  It just seems the timing of my issues could not have happened at a better time. 😆

Thank you for your insight and response.  I will update the post with findings and solutions as they occur.  

Batteries not charging?
John Haggard

Get your house batteries tested.

If they are that low ???

Even if new

A dead cell will keep them from charging at all.

Grounds
Chuck B

Many of the ground wires used under the dash are terminated on ground buss located on the inside or outside of the firewall.  Bill D recommended to loosen all the screws, spray the entire buss with WD 40, and tighten them back up.  Chuck B

Grounds
Pepperell

You might want to do this with Deoxit which is for this specific use.  

Ban please
Joelsheriff

Scotty and David, this site has grown since the Colonel first started it and Fred et al. I've been with you from 2008 give or take and the vast knowledge amassed over the years is invaluable along with countless hours in sourcing.  With that in mind, I don't feel there's anything amiss with suggesting using our resources, files, manuals etc.  If someones feathers get ruffled from that suggestion, that may I add is politely offered, then maybe the rules of the site have to be reread.  I heard in David's voice, a bit of annoyance, he had every right to be.  This, over the years had been said hundreds of times,,, CHECK THE FILES!  Anyone having a problem with that should probably find a better source of info.   Sorry boys and girls, this post bothered me as well knowing the work that has been put into gathering the info files we have. I personally and publically Thank each and every person involved in my education of the Rv industry over the past years. I couldn't have gotten a better education sitting in A Harvard lecture hall.

Coax wiring issue
Bwolff52

In the entertainment center above driver there is a satellite receiver cover plate with two cables and one connector. The cables are labeled EXT Input and Roof Input. The connector is labeled To Video Switch. What is this connector for?

Also when I took the cover plate off there is another coax back there not connected to anything.

I am so confused.

"Finding common ground"
Dennis H

I have found several....one on the frame near the tag axle, one in the front by the genset and the big one in the engine compartment, upper left corner....Dennis

Ban please
Dennis H

Maybe one of the mods can write a forum manual that could be read before posting.  🥴 Heck, most posters don't even read the RULES of the forum before posting....keep in mind many of us are GUYS, guys just do, they don't read instructions or manuals.......just sayin....Dennis

Residential RF18 into Camelot 42PDQ Inverter Circuit Location
USMC E-5

Which frig is the better res. frig to put in replacement of the 1402 dometic and do i lose the bottom drawer.

Grounds
vito.a

Instead of WD40, I'd use DeOxit.  

https://www.amazon.com/DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray-spray/dp/B0002BBV4G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Deoxit&qid=1614012114&sr=8-3 

Dennis H
3 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Dennis,  Don't think I've heard of that before.  You may have something unique and worth sharing.   I don't have it,  do others?

Here's a picture of mine. If there's interest, I'll take a better picture and post it in the downloads section.....Dennis

IMG_0377.JPG

Chad A

Pictures of Cameras and then a picture of the wiring that comes from the interior camera.

I have 12v to both the battery hot and the aux 12v out on the see vision module.  I have power going to the Panasonic "brain".  I don't have a way to see if I have power coming out of the "brain" to the display unit as it is a sealed wire bundle.  Should I just press the reset button on the "brain" and see if that fixes the problem?  The manual for the Panasonic says if functions are not working to do this but it will reset everything to default.  

I am still unsure of the the lack of video from the backup camera as I thought it went direct from the see vision to the sony.  Am I missing something else?  

Dennis, I was not able to look for that hidden fuse list this morning before work but will this afternoon when I get back. I knew I blew the 10amp fuse in the front run box and have replaced that, that gave me power back to the see vision controller.

Thanks for the help.

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6395.jpg

Coax wiring issue
KevinH

Not sure about your particular coach but mine goes to the wet-bay area and is labeled satellite and  cable input

pwhittle

Hi Chad,

Can you check to see if there a separate fuse on the Panasonic unit?

You can check the video out from the See Vision unit by using a separate monitor or TV that Han an RCA input.

Paul

Chad A

No other fuse on the Panasonic unit that I can find.  I looked through both the Panasonic manual and the wiring diagram and the only fuse was the one in the run bay.  I cannot visually see one either and according to the Panasonic manual the chord coming from the "brain" to the display unit is one piece with all the wires inside of it.  

Great idea on the separate tv monitor for the see vision, I will do that when I get home this afternoon.

Residential RF18 into Camelot 42PDQ Inverter Circuit Location
Tom Cherry

No BRAINER....for me.  Samsung RF 17 or whatever the number is now. Did that several years ago. Also have talked or emailed a lot of Camelot owners.

Hints...and THIS might not work for you... 

MUST insulated the top and bottom access covers (assuming you do NOT have top vent). You need to insulate the side holes in the frame. I posted pictures 

Remove ALL the insulation on the sides. You need PURE air circulation. The insulation was to keep the heat from the burner/heater from coming in. 

Do NOT pay good money for a "custom" surround. It fits FINE. If you have a vinyl or wooden surround, you will have heating issues. You need the gaps on each side and top and bottom to allow for cooling and air circulation.

There are a VARIETY of ways to hold it in place. THIS is what I had to do..

When they pull the old refer out, you WILL lose the bottom drawer. DON'T Sweat it.  It was, for us, useless and we forgot what was there. Have them remove the shelf in the back. That is where the water line and gas line is. IF you leave it in, you will need to have them cut several 2 or 3" holes in it (Hole saw). You need to let the AC compressor breath. Mine was not removed, so I used a drill and cut or bored the holes. 

I used some SS plates and 3M VHB (Clear) Tape. Amazon has that in various widths and lengths.  Here is the drill.

Take a piece of paper. Draw a line on the 11" side 3/4"from the edge. Fold that strip up. That is the shape and approx size of each plate. You will need TWO. Chris Throgmartin here has a fabricator that does his SS plates. He might help you. Otherwise find a piece of SS and get a sheet metal (HVAC) shop to make a bend for you. 

These two plates will be double stick adhesive taped to the TOP of the Refigerator....AFTER it is in place. Alcohol preps are needed. DO NOT DRILL OR PUT SCREWS INTO THE SAMSUNG.

The Refer needs to be IN PLACE and FLUSH with cabinet with the SLIDE extended. Here are the steps.

Measure back about a FOOT from the front of the cabinet. Screw or GLUE (Both) a short piece of wood think a 2" X 3/4" firring strip about a foot long..  Can be shorter. Run the FIrring STRIP DOWN so that the center of it will be approximately at the TOP of the Refrigerator. Try to get them exactly the same depth from the front. NOT fussy...but easier.

Cut TWO pieces of 5/4 Decking from treated deck board. That or OAK will work. You will need TWO strips.  Measure the width of the refrigerator and add an inch. Then CUT the piece in half. That piece needs to be about 3" WIDE....  You NOW have your upper braces.

Drill 3 holes (maybe 3/16"dia) in each of the turned up edges of the SS plate. You will need 6 deck screws...maybe 2" long (maybe washers) to attach the wood.

WITH the Refer in PLACE...  Put a wooden brace on TOP of the Refer. It needs to be on the BACK SIDE of the firrring STRIP. NOW... Use a piece of duct tape or such to HOLD IT DOWN. Then cover the bottom of the plate (the 10" side) with 3M tape. Clean the surface BEHIND the brace. You will THEN Attach of GLUE down the plate on one side. When you drive THREE screws into the wood (through the plate's holes), you have nailed DOWN the refer on one side. It will NOT move FORWARD or SIDEWAYS.  Repeat on the OTHER side. The piece of paper example is overkill. A piece of 6" wide plate about 8" long with a turned up 3/4" edge will work.

The 3/4" TURNED UP EDGE is the key. You can pull out the screws. You can remove the wooden brace. You can SLIDE OUT the refer for repairs as the 3/4" edge will NOT hit the upper wood. 5/8 to 1/2 MIGH work. You want to be able to SCREW the brace in so that it keeps the refer from moving forward and side to side....

NOW....You can add side blocks on the rear and screw down a piece of 2X4 (or two) in the rear. That will keep it from moving back. The side spacers are easy. Use a slightly wedge shaped block on each end and screw to the side walls.

That is IT. This design evolved from how some other folks mounted...and then I figured out the geometry and the logic for the top. 

There SHOULD be a sheet metal baffle inside the TOP opening. That is easily removable. The Tech worked from there. The shop is NOW using this method for all installs...

Hope this helps.... 

Ban please
Romeo84

Wow! I am not going to lie. I thought I would have got way more bad feedback. I apologize if you were offended by this post as that was not my intention. It stemmed from a recent post by a user who needed help and 3 of the replies were "read the manual duh." I could see if they cited a page number and spot to look as an attempt to aid but my manual took days to go through and most spots I had to reread to understand. I think it's like 5" thick. 

I think we can all agreed to disagree that everyone should make an attempt to read the manual b4 posting if they have 1. Also posting "read the manual duh" usually doesn't solve any problem. 

Again I apologize if u were offended. 

Ryan

Coax wiring issue
Bwolff52

So both the SAT and Cable coax from rear of coach to front entertainment center failed continuity test.

I figured out the To Video Switch connector. It is what it states. So originally you would connect either EXT or ROOF to the video switch.

The coax going to the outside TV connection in one of the basement bays tested good. So, since I don't have an outside TV I am using that coax to connect Wally to Playmaker.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

ISC Lift Pump Potential Leak BUT It Is Bypassed
Robert U

I had my lift pump replaced recently because of a leak. Turns out the return fuel line going to the fuel tank was leaking at the connector. I have the old pump and you are correct the return line goes directly thru the pump casting. There are four sets of holes in the pump of which two sets are plugged. It must be a multi  use pump. The pump itself only only runs for 45 seconds and    then fuel passes on thru. The return lines are on top and fuel line from primary filter are on the side.

Bob U  2000 Dip

"Finding common ground"
Barryc737

Attempting to delete this duplicate post.

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

John, the batteries are charging now...they're at 75% and climbing...I do have an 18 month full replacement warranty thru Cummins, so that's reassuring..

I haven't multimetered the house batteries.... still working on securing the 50A Shore Power to the Coach (it's very loose and the existing fasteners are useless?), securing the rain drain over the door (just noticing was hanging off, screws rusted and dusted) and have yet to service the Norcold on propane option (although, it works fantastic on Shore/Genset)....oh, I think I may have found my dead short...it's the outside porch light...it's really buggered and the on/off button just disintegrated in my hands,so it's removed and Lazy Days in Seffner has one for me tomorrow.   👍

I'll be ready to take a break in Marianna at this point! 😆

20210222_123525.jpg

20210222_120637.jpg

20210222_120657.jpg

Batteries not charging?
John Haggard

Fantastic 

Great news

No

No breaks 🤣

"Finding common ground"
just_john1

Seems to have worked, ain't nobody home.

RVA Hydraulic/Manual 3Point Jacks refuse to lower
SkyKingII

Am looking for some sage advise as to how to proceed to find cause and fix what is causing my leveling jacks not to desend and level. I have 2004 Doplomat 40'PDQ,with RVA 3 point jack system Manual leveling hydraulic system. With ignition in position to operate jacks the switch panel to operate jacks lights up properly but when I push to operate I do not get the familiar sound of the pump working and nothing happens. I have checked the fuses in FRB with volt meter and all seem to be good. It seems like I am missing a fuse somewhere...is there possibly an "in-line" fuse that I haven't found? I get no sounds from @solinoids/hydraulic resevoir when switches are activated,however when I press switch and observe battery guage in hall I can see drop in voltage when switch is activated,telling me switch is working?? Any and all suggestions will be welcome,this is first time of any problems with these jacks other than ocassionally adding fluid to the reservoir! Thank you in advanse for your input!

Bruce E.Crocker

2004 Diplomat 40' PDQ ISC-330

Dwight Lindsey

Bruce:

Have a look at this document:

https://help.brazelsrv.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045550852-RVA-Leveling-System-Turns-On-None-Of-The-Jacks-Deploy-Pump-Does-Not-Run

A quick read would have me look at the "interlock relay", which is intended to prevent operation when the ignition key is on.

Dwight

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

😆

I have re-secured the external 50A Shore Power with new SS screws and it's solid now.  Same applies for the rain drip edge over the entry door, complete with new sealant...

Cleaned out the Norcold area of all manner of dirt, dust, debris and hornets/wasps nests...even out of the exhaust....🤯

I am able to get the Propane to fire up, but that's all....no blower engaging, no cooling going on, so I'm shutting it down to explore further....THEN, I'll take a break...👍

Batteries not charging?
John Haggard

Thats big progress 

sjamiejones

Bruce, I had a similar problem that I traced to an in line fuse next to the pump/solenoid in the rear of my coach. I looked at the fuse repeatedly and it looked good but in the end it turned out to actually be open. Wasted a lot of time for no good reason.

Batteries not charging?
Frank Bergamo

Eddie,

on the Norcold there is no blower, just the sound of the burner operating. Takes roughly 24 hours or longer depending on outside air temperature to cool down. Keep at it, you will figure it out. Hope this helps.

What size tank does your shop air compressor have?
pete.miller77

My 20 gal. (Home Depot) air compressor died today and I need to replace it to get my coach tires checked. I have been waiting, in the past, for the 20 gallon unit to get up to full pressure to air up 22.5 tires that were only 5#, or less, from being fully inflated. I am imagining I would be better served with a 3-6 gallon tank. I rarely use a impact wrench. What do you guys use?.

Ray Davis
6 hours ago, Dennis H said:

Here's a picture of mine. If there's interest, I'll take a better picture and post it in the downloads section.....Dennis

Dennis,  I can't imagine that any Executive owner wouldn't be interested unless they have the same chart already.    I don't know how many will notice it on this thread though.    Do you know if charts like that are common and I'm the unlucky person without one for my coach?  

Leaking Air Bags
veraken

Look in the Downloads section.  I uploaded the Firestone Aire Spring Replacement Guide which will help you decided which airbag is the correct replacement.

vito.a

I've had good luck with the small DeWalt pancake compressor.  It has 165psi and has worked well for filling large class A tires to 120psi.  

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWFP55126-6-Gallon-Pancake-Compressor/dp/B00K34UZBW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+air+compressor&qid=1614038104&sr=8-2

Ivan K

You really don't need it to have a tank at all for just tire inflation as opposed to air tool use. I use Viar compressor on the road which is permanent to the toad if I don't want to start the rig, 20 gal tank for just automotive type air tools and 80 gal 7.5hp for bigger jobs like blasting or air sander and paint. That one goes to 175 psi so if parked in or near the shop, it will inflate tires in a hurry. It all depends on your future intentions and need for portability. 

Dr4Film

I carry the Craftsman 6 gallon 150 psi with me that takes care of the coach and car tires. Got it at Lowe's when on sale for $99.

ktloah

My shop has a 60 gallon compressor...150psi...

Chad A

Update: 

Paul,

I plugged the RCA into another tv and I have camera functions which is good, thank you.  It appears that I have a bad "brain" in the Panasonic unit as I hit the reset button and still no power or video will go through it. The hot wire that started all this mess touched the case of the "brain".  I don't know much about circuit boards etc but could this be the reason it won't work? Should I take the cover off and see if I can see anything burnt in there?

Dennis, I do not have that chart in my coach.  It would be handy if I did though.

Any other ideas?  If I get a new head unit will all the Panasonic stuff go away and I can connect the new stereo to the existing harness?

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

Frank,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I was expecting to hear a blower of some type to blow/suck air over the unit to remove the heat generated from the propane...I see there's 2 'exhaust' ports below the Norcold opening with what looks like a blower wheel inside, so I was expecting to hear something 'cooling' or 'blowing'....they also included the wasps nests since removed...big ones, too!  😆

I'll go back out there and fire it back up...I was able to get all 3 burners on the stove top to ignite (they're the old Atwood manual light burners), so hopefully I've eliminated a regulator issue from the propane tank...will check back in with pics to share...   👍

Batteries not charging?
jacwjames

Below the refrigerator is your furnace, the 2 ports you see on the outside are the intake and exhaust of the furnace. 

There are a couple of small fans mounted on the rear of the refrigerator up high and will occasionally come on but I never heard mine.  They are intended to improve airflow and cooling.  Some people have opted to mount additional ones to improve the refrigerators performance.  I mounted on below that was controlled by a snap disc attached to the burner tube.  I saw marginal improvement.  My Norcold failed a couple years ago and I replaced with a residential. 

Also, the Norcold refrigerator of your vintage had a recall where they installed a couple of heat sensors in the exhaust stack ad control Black Box and would cut the refrigerator off it reached a certain temperature.  The Norcold has a know safety issue, many fires have been caused by the Norcold resulting in a class action suit (hence the recall) back years ago.  When my Norcold failed the Black Box kicked the refrigerator off and the bottom was covered in the yellow ammonia dust.  No fire but at that point I had enough of the Norcold.

pwhittle

Head units have come a long way and have improved a lot.

I doubt the Panasonic does much more with it than support for a Video In.

Paul

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

Jim,

That's been my biggest fear...it's operated flawlessly on Shore Power and the Genset, so I feel I might be pushing my luck trying to get it to work on propane.  But, if we want to keep our foodstuffs cold whilst OTR, it's gotta work.

I've included pics of a starting point to see if the propane will function.  The pics were taken about 2030 this evening. 

I'm going back out there around midnight to check my progress....and to make sure the Coach isn't ablaze.  😆20210222_204613.thumb.jpg.ee75317a945ecdb50d6887d5cc3b961d.jpg

20210222_204649.jpg

20210222_204635.jpg

Can not explain it
stillrunning_60@hotmail.com

Never have had this happen before but was Packed and ready to head south Sunday morning with a night of temperatures in teens when my alt charge light would not go off. Had used my engine heater switch on all night which I can’t ever remember using before. After several attempts at trying different solutions I final disconnected from shore power and to my amazing eyes but light with out. Someone explain what happened.

Dennis H

I use the coach's air compressor along with TPMS. Air up the tires twice a year. Once when it gets cold and once when it gets hot. Otherwise the tires hold their pressure throughout the year. Any need in between those times, it's pretty easy to air up one or two tires.....Dennis

Can not explain it
waterskier_1

It is a know anomaly that when running the main engine alternator charging combined with charging from another source, usual the generator operating A/C going down the road, but also when connected to shore power, and occasionally Eben solar power.  The Alternator Sense circuit gets confused.  There is no damage. 

Batteries not charging?
Frank Bergamo

Eddie,

is the thermometer in the fridge or freezer? 32 degrees is great for the fridge side, 10 or below for the freezer. Also, it is critical that the coach is level or as close to level for the unit to work properly. If it is not level you can damage the heating coils requiring replacement of the coils. Hope this helps.

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

Frank, the thermometer is sitting in the fridge,, 1st shelf......and no, the Coach is outside the front of the house on a slight incline, so no, it's not truly level.   Guess I need to head back out there and either attempt to level it, OR, shut it down?  

Thanks for the heads-up!  👍

Ban please
Dennis H

Personally, I was not offended, but it takes a lot to offend me. That said, understanding the owner's manual isn't as easy as a real time conversation with someone who has gone before you, so a post, to me, simply is a request for information. If I know the answer, I'll be happy to help, if not, I simply pass on by unless the topic is something I can learn from. If that's the case, I subscribe to that topic. Remember, owner's manuals were written by engineers and then proof read by attorneys. Often they are confusing and sometimes contradictory.

Telling someone to search on a forum or read the manual serves no real purpose other than suggesting someone is too lazy or stupid to do their own research.  Usually I'll do my own research and ask for help if I can't find or understand what I'm looking for. IMO, no apology is necessary....Dennis

Batteries not charging?
jacwjames

I kept a remote temp sensor in both the freezer and fridge.  We kept extra freezer blocks in the freezer and move them to the fridge if the temps started to climb.  We became very paranoid of the fridge over time and even though we monitored it we lost lots of food stuffs over the years.  We never saw temps much below 40F in the fridge, most of the time warmer then that.  Freezer was slightly better, my wife enjoys ice cream but learned to live without int the motorhome.

Grounds
Dennis H

Oh! I thought this post was about coffee...sorry.... 😋...Dennis

Ivan K

I don't know if the Panasonic display looks like our in the picture did but when ours quit, the other attached electronics like a CD changer and GPS became useless as they were controlled from that unit. I replaced it with Pioneer flip up touch screen receiver/DVD with all kinds of features and never looked back. Lost a ton of weight in coils of long fat cables too. The original connectors don't fit anything so speakers had to be reconnected, not hard but a lot of them. There may be an adapter, don't know, did not care. All that stuff was way outdated anyways. Later replaced the old s-video camera and VGA converter also.

20210222_202001.jpg

Dennis H

Ivan, were you able to run the Aladdin system through the Panasonic head or did you just toss that too?..thanks....Dennis

Batteries not charging?
pennzo

Jim, I've experienced 34° in the fridge whilst plugged into Shore Power in San Antonio, Texas during springtime....and it's had no problem with the freezer, either....it's had the recall done to it (called the Monaco recall hotline) before I bought it...

Sorry to hear about not being able to enjoy ice cream...Penny and I love it...when the time comes to replace the Norcold, can you suggest residential alternatives?

Batteries not charging?
Frank Bergamo

Eddie,

If it were mine, I would not run it on electric or propane if it was not close to level. JMO. Hope this helps.

Batteries not charging?
jacwjames

You may have one of the good ones. 

FWIW, when I removed the Norcold to replace with a Samsung we took the cooling unit off the back to be able to take it out the front door.  It was installed very poorly with a large gap between it and the cooling plate so the cold transfer was very poor, no wonder it didn't work very well. 

Good luck

Ivan K
10 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

Ivan, were you able to run the Aladdin system through the Panasonic head or did you just toss that too?..thanks....Dennis

Dennis, our coach did not have Aladdin, only a Triptek and that one still works. The camera goes through it and text gets imbedded into the picture when on. Don't know if  Aladdin was even available in 2000?

New Downloads Available

Firestone Air Spring Replacement Guide
Firestone Air Spring Replacement Guide
Help you find the correct size replacement air spring.  Air bag part numbers are listed for many Monaco models in the Monacoers Parts List File.
0 comments
2002 Windsor Owners Manual
0 comments

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.