RV Refrigerator Poll  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What type fridge came on your coach from the factory

• Norcold / Dometic / Other Absorption
    • Residential Fridge
  2. 2. Have you changed your fridge out?

• No
    • Yes
  3. 3. If you’ve changed your fridge, what brand did you go with?

• Amish (JC Refrigeration)
    • Dometic
    • Norcold
    • Fisher-Paykel
    • GE
    • Samsung
    • Whirlpool
    • Other Residential
    • Other Absorption

This poll is closed to new votes

On 2/27/2021 at 8:10 AM, biloxi_dad said:

WRONG QUOTE....this is in regard to the FRIDGE FIXER Locking system....sorry about that...even we Moderators can't fix things...

58 minutes ago, Rich Cutler said:

For those looking for a latching system for the french door refrigerators, there is on the market a speciality latch first put out for the Samsung RF 18.  They now have expanded to other brands.  I tried to find them on the internet with no success and my coach is in storage miles away so I cannot get it.  It is made of a twisted aluminum bracket which fits between the lower freezer door and the upper doors by using existing door bolts.  The bracket has an opening that accepts a substantial plastic tee that inserts into the bracket during travel, holding the three doors shut.  Just pull the tee at the stop to use the doors.  When storing the refrigerator empty, it works in reverse to keep a small air gap between the doors and the freezer door.   Has felt pad so no scratch on doors and no drilling.  Installation is 15 minutes and not even noticeable.

I found it here on this site (I think), so hopefully someone can provide the address of the manufacturer.  It was not expensive, but I cannot remember the price.  Around $30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aJ520peN84

https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Fixer-Original/dp/B07YNCBRCP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw47eFBhA9EiwAy8kzNEmUbxv0rHEH-ebREWpLnudRzSdd8449gGEiOwVroxO8FTPvaMDJ8RoC0xkQAvD_BwE&hvadid=408371487010&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009731&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16191451259059485096&hvtargid=kwd-295309523426&hydadcr=19110_9427499&keywords=fridge+fixer&qid=1622041790&sr=8-1

https://www.recubed.solutions/talk-to-us

I ordered the Fridge Fixer in 2017. I talked to the owner who was 3D printing and got the latest "skinny". He added (or maybe I did) a thin strip of fuzzy Velcro to the back of the lock.

I opted for a Belt and Suspenders install. It took a little more time....but it has worked flawlessly and we have spent almost 6 months on the road with it since then.

I lined up EVERYTHING....per the instructions. I then added a thin strip of 3M Very High Bond CLEAR double stick to the mounting bar....right beside (memory) where the aluminum flat stock meets the refrigerator. I also used some on the back of the middle piece...which held it more securely. I passed this onto him.

AFTER watching the 2019 video, I can see some improvements in the design. The holes are now countersunk so that the bars fit exactly on the end. There are also locks with Allen screws to keep the locking hasp (part that the T lock goes into) in the center. 

The price has gone us as the features were added.

MY ADVICE....ORDER ONE from Amazon or him direct. LOOK AT IT. If you see (or are as anal as some of us are....Ex Engineers NEVER DIE...they just keep changing the state of their body), then INSTALL it and see how it fits. IF the lock or hasp does NOT seem rigid, then put the 3M Clear VHB tape on the back.

COMMENT....I always travel with the 3M VHB. I have fixed small seals or gasket tears or such. I once pulled off a piece of door gasket that the adhesive had failed on. I used WD40 to clean off all the residue on the gasket and the door frame. Then I used Dawn and got rid of the WD40 residue and an alcohol prep to dry. That was a quick fix....when I had the final Extended warranty repair, I casually showed the tech the gasket which NOW had some wear. He replaced it (no cost to me) and said.... WHAT DID YOU USE to reglue it...? Told him and he started using it. 

NOTE....that is the SAME double stick tape that holds the mounting plates for my homemade "ResRefer HOLD IT IN PLACE" design....and nothing has moved..

I knew someone would have the name of the latch.  I guess mine is old style, non adjustable. but works great.  It has felt on the back of the tee.   Even at the new price, it is worth it to not to modify the refrigerator.  Fridge Fixer on Amazon.  Thanks Tom

I changed out the original Norcold last year for a GE unit.  The new unit was a bit deeper than the Norcold so I added 1-1/2" extension to the cabinet.  It fit over the furnace; most refrigs were too high.  I had some room left over and added a slideout pantry.  Everything went thru the front door of my 1998 Executive (no window removal).  Now, the ice cream stays frozen.

DSC02843.JPG

DSC02840.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'll bite, and probably get shot for this!

I really like my Norcold. It WAS a POS but one day I decided to fix the stupid thing. I found out the heater wire in the door was broken, fixed that in about 30 minutes. Then I got a wireless digital thermometer to measure the freezer temp and the fridge temp. At that point I started experimenting. 

I had several 120mm computer fans lying around so I velcro'd one so that it blew across the fins from right to left. That made an immediate and massive difference! I then did some more testing and realized that in order to get proper circulation (even temps) I needed one more fan blowing up from the bottom to the fan at the top. Again, massive difference. 

I went from running the fridge on #9 all the way down to number 2. In the height of the summer with 38c temps I set it to #3.

If I set it to number 5 (half way) it will freeze everything in the fridge compartment. Maybe I just got lucky? Average freezer temp on #2 is;

-15c and average fridge temp is 1c

It's now 22 years old and I shut the propane valve off on it a long time ago. I will replace it, probably soon, with a Whirlpool residential, but it will be a sad day. The reason? The Norcold is a power pig on AC and costs as much to run in one month as a modern fridge does in a year. No kidding. Of course, I'm partial to the Norcold because I souped it up for very little...and I may be the only person that has one that has, if anything, a problem with being way too cold. 

Edited by Bob Jones

Bob,

You didn't state what model of Norcold you have and what size. That would help to differentiate between the Norcold units that did work OK and the REAL POS's which are the four door Norcold 12XX which will never work as the cooling unit was undersized for the size of the fridge among other less than desirable problems which there are many. Not to mention one of the worst problems the NotSoCold has caused, thousands of coaches sitting in junk yards due to fridge fires.

By the way, I did pretty much the same as you listed above plus many more "fixes" only to have the POS continue to disappoint with its performance including costing me a LOT of time and money.

One of the BEST upgrades I ever did was to get rid of that POS back in 2012 and replace it with a Samsung RF-197.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Bob,

You didn't state what model of Norcold you have and what size..

I hate to do it to you, Richard - it's a 1200 LRIM 

I know, it's hard to believe, so here's a pic of the temps on a warm summer day on setting #2

For the record though, I'm in complete agreement with respect to the doors and everything else. There are many reasons to replace it. That will happen, but as it stands, the only reason right now is because it's a power pig!

20210824_113857.jpg

Edited by Bob Jones