2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on

JDCrow

1 hour ago, tomevansfl said:

I have a 2001 Diplomat and I may need to replace my steering gear box or at least adjust it.  I bounce from side to side, but stay in my lane, it takes work sometimes though.  Also considering a Safe T Plus Steer stabilizer and Monaco Watts sway bar systems.

I live in Orlando so I have a great shop nearby.  Any other suggestions to help driving my RV.

Good morn!

I am going through all this in effort to tame my Diplomat right now. 

Here is the thread to follow:

I am trying to get a few things done before we hit the road to go home. 

I can answer any questions on what I have done, but there are a few on here (Van, Bob, Ken) that are way more knowledgeable, Van and Bob actually pioneers of the solutions 

JD.....the coach looks great! I am just starting my process of getting my exec back on the road. The tires were one of my main concerns. I knew the drive train was in really good shape as was the generator..but what scares me is the electrical and water systems. Especially the electrical.....I'm almost positive everything except the invertor is original (found a receipt from 2017.....$3500). I finally had enough time and sleep to get her in my driveway this week and I will have access to all my tools. My question is ....for everybody that reads this.....what are my main concerns for the transfer switch if it's original? Also the I've read several posts about changing the battery isolators in the rear......electrical is my downfall. 

1634748828538-1.JPEG

• Like 1

Beautiful Coach! On the transfer switch, if it’s IOTA, it’s got to go. The group here has numerous stories of the burning up. One just recently, 

The wiring is top notch, even original. It’s residential quality. Everything is color coded, which doesn’t happen in many newer RVs. Depending on what you want your coach to do, ie stay in rv parks etc. will tell you what you do with the wiring. Many use the genset to charge their batteries, daily. I don’t mind that, but kinda went a different route on my way to lithium. It’s just a choice, no one is right or wrong. 

Likewise plumbing is very straight forward, way simpler that newer trailers/5vrs. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Beautiful Coach! On the transfer switch, if it’s IOTA, it’s got to go. The group here has numerous stories of the burning up. One just recently, 

The wiring is top notch, even original. It’s residential quality. Everything is color coded, which doesn’t happen in many newer RVs. Depending on what you want your coach to do, ie stay in rv parks etc. will tell you what you do with the wiring. Many use the genset to charge their batteries, daily. I don’t mind that, but kinda went a different route on my way to lithium. It’s just a choice, no one is right or wrong. 

Likewise plumbing is very straight forward, way simpler that newer trailers/5vrs. 

The big red flag for me was the cover taken off the switch cover when I bought this thing. Of course when I bought it I had no idea what that switch was. I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of the switch and the rear run boxes and maybe you guys can give me some advise on the good the bad and the ugly of what I have. The previous owner had already replaced the fridge with a Samsung and I actually took the plastic off the shelves....so it's brand new and  never used.

2 minutes ago, Flyinhy said:

The big red flag for me was the cover taken off the switch cover when I bought this thing. Of course when I bought it I had no idea what that switch was. I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon of the switch and the rear run boxes and maybe you guys can give me some advise on the good the bad and the ugly of what I have. The previous owner had already replaced the fridge with a Samsung and I actually took the plastic off the shelves....so it's brand new and  never used.

Yeah, the IOTA I had was a grey plastic box. 

I believe the Esco switches are solid. And Xantrax as well is a great inverter. 

I rewired the way power was delivered in my Dip. Not sure how your going to camp/live with your coach, sounds like you are tracking down some noises 

Few things while on the road 

Rear Tires

Front Sway Bar

969587A5-4F2C-4D7C-88F6-E7BDB3ED6F68.jpeg

11C8A31C-0D48-4075-829F-600B2A7411FE.jpeg

5211172F-B139-44A9-BFB5-F42C0F47387F.jpeg

EBF206CD-4649-4204-8652-3083F21FF542.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow

2 hours ago, JDCrow said:

I believe the Esco switches are solid. And Xantrax as well is a great inverter. 

I rewired the way power was delivered in my Dip. Not sure how your going to camp/live with your coach, sounds like you are tracking down some noises 

Few things while on the road 

Rear Tires

Front Sway Bar

969587A5-4F2C-4D7C-88F6-E7BDB3ED6F68.jpeg

11C8A31C-0D48-4075-829F-600B2A7411FE.jpeg

5211172F-B139-44A9-BFB5-F42C0F47387F.jpeg

EBF206CD-4649-4204-8652-3083F21FF542.jpegHey JD i see you retained the Safe t system stabilizer, im intrested to get your opinion with that, i have concidered getting one for mine. On the you tubes it looks like it takes a while to get set up, is it a continual resistance either direction or is it more like just a dapmpner like cars an pick ups?

Rik

Good Morn!

I took it off for the trip to Havasu from Yuma, and honestly it was harder to keep the Dip from wandering.

In Yuma I adjusted all the play out of my steering box. Todays trip will tell me if putting it back on will help. I honestly would rather have it on than off. 

I’ve had it on for awhile and yes you have to adjust it very slightly to find “center”. It will pull one way till you get it just right.

I’ll report this eve

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, Flyinhy said:

The headlights look great. After spending 5k on tires , I'm on a pretty tight budget for now so I'll have to use the old lemon and baking soda trick to clean up my dingy headlights. 😁 I think they're from caddy sevilles? Like 98-2003? 

Deep woods off 100% deet makes headlights look new . Works on filon sided RVs as well 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, tomevansfl said:

Headlights look good.  I didn't think I would like these, but I do.

I splurged a bit and picked the ones with LED strip of lights. Also got the LED lights in the shrouds that turn Orange (flashback) when turn signal is on. And had the throw in LED bulbs for the turn/marker lights. The kits come with new lenses anyway 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 9:45 PM, JDCrow said:

Finished up the taillights and did upper clearance lights, all LED

One the clearance lights, I cannot recommend them enough. You’ll see in one pic the difference.

Dang, those do look amazing.

Mind if I ask where you got your clearance lights from? Any issues with wiring or just a direct swap out of the original backer plates for the new ones?

Did you use ProFlex or some other sealant behind the plates?