Fumoto Oil Drain Valve?

Anyone have any first hand experience using a Fomoto Oil Drain Valve in place of the standard oil drain plug?  Looks like it would allow self oil change more easily, BUT also wonder if there is any chance this valve could accidentally open up?

I have had one for years, the little valve arm is spring loaded on my valve and has to be raised up in order to open it, i have never had a problem on our ISC  engine.

I do remember a post years ago on one of our old members with a ISM  after fueling up he damaged the valve exiting the truck stop by dragging the rear of the engine luckily he checked before going down the road as oil was running out of the engine. 

walt

Edited by walt2137

Hi Ward. I have a Fumoto valve on my truck without any problems. On my ISM 500 I have the No Spill System and really like it also, it extends no further than the stock plug.  The only thing negative with either system is you loose the magnetic plug to catch metal bits.  https://www.nospillsystems.com/

Edited by engine103
addition

I have the Fumoto and like it.  It does drain much more slowly.  

I've had it on the coach for about 8 years with no issues

It allows me to catch 2.5 gallons in each of two 5 gallon buckets, which makes my life much simpler.    Before I had the Fumoto I would have a 5 gallon bucket brimming with oil.  It was impossible to pour that out without making a big mess.

When I've had the coach lubed at a SpeedCo, or similar, they just remove it and drain the oil in a conventional manner.

Dwight

Wow! If I managed to do that where mine is located that would be the least of my problems!  The drain plug on ours sits up out of the way and I looked it over pretty well before installing the valve. I'm sure there are coaches out there where the bottom of the engine sits lower  and it could be a problem.

"I know of several instances of the valve getting knocked off.  

Chuck B

2004 Windsor"

I have not even considered it on our ISM where the oil pan plug is well below the body lines and along with the exhaust cross pipe in front of it is already the lowest point in that area. Just a tiny bit higher than the "defensive brace" below bellhousing. I'd much rather scrape the steel plug if it ever came to it... the only viable  possibility for me was to install the valve into a side plug on the pan and drain majority of the oil that way before opening the drain plug. Just too much trouble when disposable gloves do the job for me and, IMO, the underbelly is already pretty exposed to road hazard,  like tire chunks that can get bounced around, as it is. I can imagine the ISX and big CATs would be similar.

Hi Ivan, always enjoy hearing from you as you have provided much needed information during my Signature learning curve.  The reason I went with the No Spill System was due to the low profile and construction of the device itself.  It has an internal drain valve and an outside cap to keep dirt out, not like the Fumoto cast fitting that is entirely exposed to road hazards. I had considered the side plug location but on page 4-7 of the ISM Operation and Maintenance Manual,  quote, "Do NOT use fittings other than the Cummins supplied fitting in the side drain location." But I know,"things can happen" 

Jim, I agree with your approach, if I had to use something like that on our engines, then this is a good option as not to decrease the clearance any more. Like you said though, I would miss the magnetic plug, always like to see it clean first thing I take it out. Good to hear from you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who provided insight.  

I did purchase a Fumoto valve for my ISM engine, but after reviewing all your replies and finding that the Fumoto valve does not have any protective cap to protect the outside exposed part of the ball valve from road dirt, etc, it went back to Amazon who graciously provided a full refund.

I have instead opted for the Femco unit that does have a protective cap, and does not extend any further than the original pan bolt.  I still don’t like the idea of forfeiting the magnetic plug on the original pan bolt, but will try living without that.

On 12/22/2019 at 10:02 PM, ward_l_johnson said:

Thanks to all who provided insight.  

I did purchase a Fumoto valve for my ISM engine, but after reviewing all your replies and finding that the Fumoto valve does not have any protective cap to protect the outside exposed part of the ball valve from road dirt, etc, it went back to Amazon who graciously provided a full refund.

I have instead opted for the Femco unit that does have a protective cap, and does not extend any further than the original pan bolt.  I still don’t like the idea of forfeiting the magnetic plug on the original pan bolt, but will try living without that.

Ward the protective cap on a oil drain is not really not important that i can see as i dont  save the used oil and the sand cant enter the pan but i do understand not trusting it on the ISM engine because it does hang awful low and i sure wouldn't trust it .

Walt

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you bought the Fumoto drain that doesn't have the nipple. The one with the nipple for the ISM is the T203NS. The nipple is a 5/8" diameter.

They sell a cover/cap for it (but almost anything would work - like an automotive vacuum port plug).

BTW - for anyone with a Caterpillar C13 engine (pre 2006). My 2005 C13 (KCB serial) is an Acert engine- but the Fumoto plug for an Acert engine is too large with 1-5/16 threads. The correct Drain Plug for this engine is the T205NS (listed as non-Acert) which has 1-1/8" threads.

Fumoto.JPG