VIP Smart Wheel trouble

StephenW
Go to solution Solved by rpasetto,

On 4/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, rpasetto said:

If you hear the relay clicking but no current output, that sounds like burnt contacts on the relay.  Sounds like what happened to me years ago... I kept the old smartwheel controller ... somewhere... there were burn signs on the board at the relay as well as J12.

According to the SmartWheel schematics, there is another relay off the controller board which does the hi/low swithhing.  The 25A relay on the controller is only used to perform the “flashing” function for the headlights and the clearance lights.  The hi/low relay is totally independent of the controller board and will click even if the controller board is non functioning.

Dick L  ‘04 Imperial

Edited by rcl285
Spell check

Food for thought. On my 2001 Dynasty I was having all sorts of problems with smart wheel. Wipers working intermittently, Cruise control intermittently, Air horn not working sometimes. Just about everything on the steering wheel was intermittent. What I found was their was to much grease on the brass ring that the tabs (spring clips) ride on. I cleaned it all off and sprayed it with super lube, haven't had a problem since, been working correctly for over two years.

• 1 year later...

First thing , thanks to accept me in your groupe.  I am a 59 year old city bus driver.

I am french so maybee my english will not be as perfect as it must but i tryed to make the better i can.

This saturday, my Monaco windsor smell bad.  FOr make a short story, i start it and after i am pressing the intermittent buton on my smart wheel.

I press it 4-5 times, and my horn begin to blast non stop and my engine die..  

After reearch i find like you a big burn on my SM 210.

I will order a new one but i will make like i see on your forum: add a relay.

But now i am not able to restart my cummins ISC engine.  Is someone can help me to fix that trouble.

Welcome to the forum, are you from Quebec Canada??  You might try using google translator, it seems to work pretty well for communicating, I used it both in French and Spanish.  Not perfect but better then nothing.

There is a connector under the steering column shroud that connects the clockspring to the Smartwheel control board.  Unplug the connector and the SM210 module. 

Check for any fuses that may be blown in the front driverside front electrical bay.  Check the larger fuse panel and the #1 of #2 fuse boxes. 

They are able to drive the chassis before they put the house on so there are some individual fuses near the engine…not labeled and and easy to see IF you have a side radiator. Hard to find if you have a rear radiator.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:52 PM, jacwjames said:

Welcome to the forum, are you from Quebec Canada??  You might try using google translator, it seems to work pretty well for communicating, I used it both in French and Spanish.  Not perfect but better then nothing.

There is a connector under the steering column shroud that connects the clockspring to the Smartwheel control board.  Unplug the connector and the SM210 module. 

Check for any fuses that may be blown in the front driverside front electrical bay.  Check the larger fuse panel and the #1 of #2 fuse boxes. 

hello, i don't use translator.  can you explain me how i can find the 6 position on the plug j 11  i think i can read on the wire for find it but how is numbered these position on plug.  thanks

You will have to find the VIP Smartwheel box.  Mine is mounted under the dash, I can access by removing the dash panel that has the radio and AC/Heater controls.  Lots of stuff back there but if you use your phone/camera you can find.

The steering column has a plastic cover on the bottom of it, remove that and there are some wiring harnesses that are routed down the column.  Look for any wire damage and check the wiring harness.

In my previous post I listed a SM210 smart wheel control box but you may have an older one.   The older modules are hard to find. 

Here is a link to the VIP troubleshooting page, it has different trouble shooting guides depending on which wheel/control module

https://www.imminet.com/immi-vip-wheels/wheel-resources/wheel-troubleshooting/

On 12/5/2022 at 4:17 PM, Ivylog said:

They are able to drive the chassis before they put the house on so there are some individual fuses near the engine…not labeled and and easy to see IF you have a side radiator. Hard to find if you have a rear radiator.

2 fuses are blow, light and key, thanks a lot.  i give my box in électronic shop, i order 2 relay for him.

i hope he can help.

thanks

On 4/15/2021 at 5:41 PM, rpasetto said:

I recall doing this years back.  I just cut off the wires mentioned below.  (However, if you remove them from the connector you could always reinstall them if you decide to go back to 'factory'.  There is a tool used to install  & remove pins from these connectors.)

Remove wires p1 and p2 from connector J12 and also remove wire p6 from J11 (Wire from headlight switch).  Connect the p6 wire from headlight switch to the coil of an 87 type relay (see diagram);  pins 86 and 85 connect to the coil so you could connect headlight switch wire, P6 to 86 and 85 to ground.  Pin 30 of the relay should get the 12v power via the headlamp fuse in your front electrical box, that's p1 if I recall, and p2 would connect to 87 to power headlights.  I strongly recommend fusing both circuits: the coil (85-86) and power (30-87) just in case there's a short somewhere.

Hope this helps.

image.png.14140b3b80d58c203154245683f478db.png

Just now, Bighoud1963 said:

how know the wire position on a connector?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, rpasetto said:

If you hear the relay click but no current output, it sounds like burnt contacts on the relay.  Sounds like what happened to me years ago...I kept the old smartwheel controller...somewhere...there were burn marks on the board at the relay as well as  D12.

Hello, I have a serious problem with my VIP sm 210.

The card is burned and rendered unusable.  You say you kept the old burnt one.  I'd be really interested in buying It from you, so you'd save me a lot of trouble.  I don't have anything working anymore related to this module.  ( lights, wiper, cruise . I'm in trouble and open to any try that might work.

Thank you for answering me .