Captain seats

Got real lucky here. Big thanks by the way to Monacoers member Mike H. For helping me with the sew file to embroid the Monaco emblem into the seats. Decided to tackle the foot rest not responding thing while waiting for the panels to be embossed. Took the worm gear apart expecting to find the dreaded nylon worm gear stripped. Well the gears were all metal but the grease had dried to a lock up situation. After cleaning over night and a good lube  it working again. Wife will be so excited. 

20210426_124835.jpg

37 minutes ago, Jonbrooks said:

Got real lucky here. Big thanks by the way to Monacoers member Mike H. For helping me with the sew file to embroid the Monaco emblem into the seats. Decided to tackle the foot rest not responding thing while waiting for the panels to be embossed. Took the worm gear apart expecting to find the dreaded nylon worm gear stripped. Well the gears were all metal but the grease had dried to a lock up situation. After cleaning over night and a good lube  it working again. Wife will be so excited. 

20210426_124835.jpg

Interesting and thanks for posting the photo Jon.  I haven't given mine any thought.  It's working but does seem to make a little 'groaning' noise and I was wondering if there was anything in the linkage that should be lightly lubricated.  Is there a grease fitting on it or does it just require disassembling and 'repacking' it with grease.  Maybe I should take the approach that it isn't broke so don't fix it! Huh? 😉

Yeah I had to drill the rivets out to get at the gears. So unfortunately no way to prevent this. It was from non-use I think that ended causing this dry caked gear box. It took all night of soaking to even get it to budge. After working loose it slowly came to life. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonbrooks said:

Yeah I had to drill the rivets out to get at the gears. So unfortunately no way to prevent this. It was from non-use I think that ended causing this dry caked gear box. It took all night of soaking to even get it to budge. After working loose it slowly came to life. 

Glad to know.  Now I won't be trying to fix something that's not broke and leave well enough alone 🙂   Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

• Thanks 1

Here is the drivers seat bottom sewn back together with skirt. Even though the sewing is labor intensive wrestling these onto the seat frame is a paaain... A product called silk film will aide the process but I never look forward to it.

20210427_110248.jpg

20210427_110742.jpg

Here is the drivers seat bottom sewn back together with skirt. Even though the sewing is labor intensive wrestling these onto the seat frame is a paaain... 

When I do tight fitting pieces which I need to stretch down over a wider area, I use a piece of plastic or garbage bag. After fitted into place, I rip or slide it out.

sharon f 2002 Monaco Windsor 

Edited by eddie4ne
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jonbrooks said:

Finally got the embroidered material back. Time to sew this project up...so to speak 

20210430_090920.jpg

Looks like they did a good job.  Just curious, did they sew a straight bar all the way across the center of it or did they make it more like the Monaco logo?  The original one on mine had the full straight line.  I don't know why they made it different.  Maybe it was easier to sew it that way or may be was to keep it from puckering up or something.  I didn't care one way or the other so I guess they just decided to duplicate the old one.  I did have them make it about an inch larger though.

Decided to camp locally this weekend.  Used the directors chair to make my way to the campsite. Brought everything along to complete the captain chair. Going to be much better drive home!

20210502_122040.jpg

Edited by Jonbrooks
Spelling

17 minutes ago, Jonbrooks said:

Decided to camp locally thus weekend.  Used the directors chair to make my way to the campsite. Brought everything along to complete the captain chair. Going to be much better drive home!

20210502_122040.jpg

Awesome.  Looks like it turned out great.  Ours will be getting done the last week of May so I'm anxious to see how they're turn out.  Thanks for posting the photos.

• Like 1

The wife is happy the power foot rest is functional again. It was stuck at about 4 inches from down. The heat was also dead in co-pilot seat which ended up being compromised wires and blown fuse.

20210504_182759.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Once the original fabric was removed from our seats we discovered the heating pads had pretty much deteriorated and was broken.  BUT, living in Florida and never traveling up in snow country I decided that was no big deal so I didn't bother replacing them.  I have heated seats in my truck and never use the heat option.  All in all I think the upholsterer did a decent job.  Here are the before and after:2076765294_Before-AfterPassengerSeat_01.thumb.png.1770c68195c4dd43f45d159f7b72507e.png

Seat Heaters.jpg

Before-After Driver Seat_01.png

Before-After J Sofa_1.png

• Like 3

On 6/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, Mike H said:

Once the original fabric was removed from our seats we discovered the heating pads had pretty much deteriorated and was broken.  BUT, living in Florida and never traveling up in snow country I decided that was no big deal so I didn't bother replacing them.  I have heated seats in my truck and never use the heat option.  All in all I think the upholsterer did a decent job.  Here are the before and after:2076765294_Before-AfterPassengerSeat_01.thumb.png.1770c68195c4dd43f45d159f7b72507e.png

Seat Heaters.jpg

Before-After Driver Seat_01.png

Before-After J Sofa_1.png

Really makes a difference from cracked dried out leather.