Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/405-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Slide solenoid
Jonbrooks
“Who Makes What” from RV Travel
Scotty Hutto
Battery Control Center / BIRD Intellitec
joefromperry
Slide solenoid
Hypoxia
Dash A/C Compressor Failure
DavidL
No hot water and heat
powersltc
Bypassing coach safety devices
Chuck B
Smart wheel
Grampy OG
Source Engineering Ride Enhancement Kit
Bob Keating
Dr4Film
David Pratt
Ceramic Coatings
David Pratt
Ceramic Coatings
Joelsheriff
Ceramic Coatings
JDCrow
HWH no response
bmulvenna@hotmail.com
Ceramic Coatings
Tom Wallis
Ceramic Coatings
cbr046
Rick A
DavidL
Dash A/C pretending it is a heater.
Testdepth
Slide solenoid
David Pratt
Ceramic Coatings
Scotty Hutto
Slide solenoid
Hypoxia
Ceramic Coatings
David Pratt
HWH no response
vito.a
Ceramic Coatings
Terry T
Chuck B
vinyl graphics protectant
tcbrow
Jonbrooks
HWH Auto Leveling
Chuck B
Captain seats
Jonbrooks
Chuck B
Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Transmission
John Haggard
Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Transmission
John Haggard
Bob Keating
Testdepth
Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
Transmission
John Haggard

Slide solenoid
Jonbrooks

On my first road trip the room slide would not respond. had to release the valves and get some muscle lined up in the camp ground to push it in. I have the old style manifold but access was pretty good with the Gen set out. Hope all goes smoothly for you on this one.  

2004 Monaco Knight-Slide Out Safety Protect
Bob Wightman

Hello Group,  I have a 2004 Monaco Knight with 8.3 L Diesal Cummings and two slide outs.  The safety protect will not allow you to operate the slide outs with the engine running, however it will allow you drive the coach with the slide outs in the out condition.  This seems odd to me as when we are packing up to come home I like to warm up the big Cummings diesel while we are getting things put away, the last thing I want to do before we leave is to bring in the slide outs...which I have to shut the motor down to do.  I want to bypass that protect circuit so I can bring the slides in with the motor running, and I'm sure I can figure it out, just wondering if anybody else has already done this and could advise if its better to do at the dash or back in the control center.  Thanks in advance!

Air pressure gauge line blew off... HELP APPRECIATED
k7jv

Yup.  Had the same problem while having our Silverleaf system installed a few years back.  Most commercial air equipment stores should have them.  Found ours at A1 Coupling and Hose in Albany, OR.  Pretty easy fix once the unknowns were worked out.

“Who Makes What” from RV Travel
Scotty Hutto
On 4/24/2021 at 4:42 PM, waterskier_1 said:

This document is WRONG.  It lists American Coach as owned by Thor Industries.  Indeed, American Coach is a sister line made by REV.

Thanks, that’s been reported to the publisher. 

Jonbrooks

I'm sorting out a new to me coach as well. Had two occasions on the 1st trip with her when the main slide would not retract. Someone has by passed bay door and motor run protection circuits on mine. I have to continue to sort mine out because of intermittent dead situations. What they did was jump the wires somehow on the main switch that are different than factory wiring diagram shows for mine?    

joefromperry

I had a similar problem with my chassis batteries not charging, and found the problem not to be the board, but the big boy relay.IMG_9648.jpeg.e0c670b9c6458b07193c05484c24eff0.jpeg

Slide solenoid
Hypoxia

The access on my 2007 Signature is limited and I found it to be much easier with the solenoid tool HWH sells.  I made a tool for the first one I replaced.  Get the old one rebuilt for a spare, HWH is reasonable on rebuilds.

HWH Solenoid Tools

Dash A/C Compressor Failure
DavidL
23 hours ago, trailmug said:

I second the recommendation to take the compressor apart. If it overheated due to lost charge or lack of oil, the center ball would probably be welded to the gear. Sanden has a public service manual to help diagnose common failure modes. Knowing what I know now, I'd measure the amount of oil in the old compressor, and also cut open the old receiver/dryer and see how much crud is in it.

https://www.sanden.com/objects/Failure_Analysis_Web.pdf

image.png.a7016f529ec900a316155de90251d1af.png

The binary switch which servess to turn the compressor off on high head and lockout the compressor on lost charge, in my experience, isn't that reliable. I evacuated my system and it still took some time for the switch to open (reasonably new switch). Especially since there's no sensor on the low side, if the charge is lost while the compressor is running, the system won't shut down until the high side goes <28 psig by which point everything would be pretty well cooked. Was there still a charge in the system when you went to replace?

Looking at the factory oil charge on the 4420, it comes with 6.75oz. My 4475 came with 10 oz and I still ended up adding 4 oz to it to get the crankcase level right (long suction lines tend to pool oil and these guys come filled for semi tractors). I wonder on the original replacement how much oil was installed. PAG 100 is the right stuff (Sanden calls it SP-15).

Edit: the Sanden procedure for measuring oil was updated to run the compressor at a given RPM and then make sure a given quantity of oil was in the system by taking it off and draining it into a container. Mine is not easy to install, so I used the legacy dipstick. I flushed ours with 2 gal of naptha and it took about 2 hrs with a single stage vacuum pump to reach a stable vacuum (700 microns). Replaced the condenser out of paranoia, but when I cut the old one open, it looked just fine.

I like that Sanden compressor diagnostics article.  Good stuff.  Sucks when one sees that on your own RV, but at least one then knows what happened.

No hot water and heat
powersltc

Got a full tank,  150 gallons. 

Chuck B

I have a hard time wrapping my head around folks who want to by pass safety devices such as slide out control procedures.  Those devices are built in for protection of the coach due to mistakes from the driver, and possible malfunction of such devices.  I was driving behind a coach when their drivers side front slide started to open.  A oncoming vehicle hit the slide causing a wreck.  One person lost their life.  Sad.  It is a requirement of this group to sign posts with the first name, last name initial, year and model of your coach.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Smart wheel
Grampy OG

FWIW Dept:

My '02 Dynasty lost smart wheel function and it too was the clock spring. A bit of a task but very doable for a handy person. Be sure to follow the directions and do not release the spring until the directions advise several times. It was an interesting learning process as I had no idea what a clock spring was up until then. 

Ken Wilcox

Bob Keating

Steve,

Sorry you had so much grief!

From the photos, it looks like mine was the same setup. Maybe the Cayman has more fender clearance than the Knight.

You are right, is is definitely not fun, but I was quoted $3K for the install. The money saved and the satisfaction of doing it myself was a big reward.

For what its worth, I did try to remove the rear tires, but my air tools didn't have enough horsepower.

There is a lot more room to work up front, good luck!

Dr4Film

One of the most important safety interlock devices on the slide-out control board is the "ignition lock-out relay". If that is bypassed or not working this exact scenario could easily happen.

Having a slide move out a little while driving commonly called "slide creep"  has happen on occasion but that can easily be correctly. However, having a slide move completely out is a MAJOR problem.

David Pratt

There is no manual for this relay, so maybe the following will help you.

Here is the info for the Big Boy System that might be helpful.

That circuit board is called the Bird Relay Module which is located in the RRB.  There is a Green LED-(ISO Relay On)-third from the top on the board that should be Illuminated and the Big Boy Relay should have a low humm and be hot to touch when working properly.

When you disconnect from shore power and the generator is not running, the Green LED should be out. The Big Boy Relay will drop out of the circuit when the dc voltage drops to 12.5 to 12.8 vdc when measured at the Battery side of the Big Boy Relay.

When connected to shore power or when the generator is running you should have power to the #2 pin on the eight pin connector on the right side of the board. The #1 pin is ground and the #3 pin is powered on when you turn on the Ignition Switch. Pin #4 is from the battery boost circuit, Pin #5 is the Domestic power circuit. Pins #6 & #7 are blank. Pin #8 is a ground circuit.

The six pin connector on the top of the board powers up the relays. The left pin is Pin #1 and is ground, Pin #2 powers up the Big Boy Relay, Pins #3-4-5-6 power up the two Domestic Relays to the right of the Big Boy Relay. When working properly you should measure about + or - 4.6vdc on Pin #1 when the Board is powered up and the Big Boy Relay is working.

If the BB is powered up and running correctly, you should have around 4.5 to 4.8 vdc on pin 1 of the 6 pin connector. You should also have that same voltage on pins 1, 4, 5 & 8 on the 8 pin connector.

On the BB Solenoid you should be seeing 12.8+ vdc on the chassis side battery post-(left side) and 13.0+ vdc on the house battery side post-(right side). A differential of .3 to .6 vdc between these two posts is normal.

If your Inverter is set up correctly and the Bird relay is working-(green light on) the Inverter through the BIRD Relay and the BB will charge the Coach Batteries first and then the Chassis batteries and when all the Batteries are fully charged the Inverter will go into float charge. When plugged into Shore Power or with the Genset running the Green LED will be Lit on the BIRD Relay Circuit Board, If not I would venture to guess that the circuit board is failing or has failed. The relay above the eight pin connector on the BIRD circuit board controls the Big Boy Relay, it could be failing.

Ceramic Coatings
David Pratt

I finally bit the bullet and decided to have the Ceramic Coating done on our FORETRAVEL ih-45. Dazzling Details of Florida did the job. They service many states all over the east to the Mississippi River. I have used Dazzling Details for washing, waxing and detailing my coaches for over the last 15 years. They are also listed in our vendors section.

They completed applying the Ceramic Paint Protection on our ih-45 Sunday. It took 6 eight hour days. Properly done the process is a 7 step process and very labor intensive.

The paint on the coach has no more orange peel or iffy spots and is like looking in a mirror. The final outcome is amazing and I am very pleased. Money well spent.

I will elaborate more if anyone is interested.

The process is done in seven stages; 1st they wash and dry the coach, 2nd they remove all the old wax from the paint, 3rd they wet/dry sanded the entire coach, 4th they then buffed the whole coach removing any orange peel, scratches or imperfections from the paint, 5th they then put a glaze on the entire coach removing all the swirl marks and the glaze brings the paint to a mirror finish and is the base for the Ceramic Coating, 6th the coach is completely washed and dried again and any paint correction is completed and the 7th step they apply the Ceramic Coating. The first five days all the work was done with a four man crew working 7 to 8 hours each day. The Ceramic Application is done by a two man crew and took about 9 hours. All the work done included the entire coach, wheels, Roof and windows. 

The final outcome is that the coach looks AWSOME. When you look at the Coach you are looking into a mirror. The Ceramic Coating is Warrantied for five years and I do not have to wax it again other than a maintenance check on the Ceramic Coating in three to five years.

Ceramic Coatings
Joelsheriff

Ok David, that sounds wonderful and we'll worth the investment.  But the devil is in the detail lol,  is it cheaper than a paint job?  $$? 

Ceramic Coatings
JDCrow

I’m having palpitations as I know how much it costs to do a pickup.

HWH no response
bmulvenna@hotmail.com

Waiting for a callback from HWH but thought I would ask the collective knowledge. 2004 Dynasty with air level only. HWH keypad has power. When pressing the air button twice it shows front and drivers side low and in a matter of seconds shows ride height even though it is not in ride height. No manual controls(dump, raise any up or down controls) work at all.  Both air tanks are full. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Have checked the cable to the pad 

Have reset the pad 

Have checked all fuses in the control box 

Thanks

Mike

Ceramic Coatings
Tom Wallis

I would love to see some pictures. Before and after would be really nice,

Ceramic Coatings
cbr046

Just a side comment . . . . I've read where Zep Wet Look Floor Polish is the hot ticket to make the finish look showroom new, but if you read the comments (Amazon) the Zep retail technical support rep says it will "whiten, peel, yellow and deteriorate. The Wet-look Floor Polish is not UV resistant and will require stripping to remove".   So maybe not the hot ticket after all.  Kudos to Zep for giving us the straight scoop at the expense of a few sales. 

Nice job having your coach professionally done.  Yes, we all want to know the cost (even if ballpark).

Best,

- bob

Rick A
1 hour ago, Chuck B said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around folks who want to by pass safety devices such as slide out control procedures.  Those devices are built in for protection of the coach due to mistakes from the driver, and possible malfunction of such devices.  I was driving behind a coach when their drivers side front slide started to open.  A oncoming vehicle hit the slide causing a wreck.  One person lost their life.  Sad.  It is a requirement of this group to sign posts with the first name, last name initial, year and model of your coach.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I totally agree. Just shut the motor down, bring in the slides and restart the engine!!! What’s complicated about this, it’s a heck of a lot less work than trying bypass safety systems and running the risk of take the park trees home with you. Nuff said.

DavidL

When a slide lock isn't engaged and / or hydraulic failure, then certainly it's possible for the slide to move while underway.

Very common for folks to drive with slide locks not engaged (circa mid 2000's).

Testdepth

I've been following georgecederholm's post regarding his dash a/c unit failure and have gleaned a lot of good info from it. My problem is similar in that my dash a/c unit is just blowing warm air. Assuming(hoping) it was just low on charge because the compressor clutch was not activating, I put the gauges on it and I have zero pressure in the system! So now the fun part begins, finding the leak. Once that is done and repaired comes the evacuate and charge part. There in lies my major problem, I can't find a sticker anywhere that tells my how much r134a the system holds. there are a couple of labels on the compressor itself but nothing as to the charge. Up front I've crawled up inside the nose of this beast and do not see a label on the front end unit.

Does anyone know if there is a standard location for that label or a charge amount for this system?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge anyone can share.

Mike

1996 Monaco Windsor C8.3

No slides, no Toad

Slide solenoid
David Pratt

When you placed your order for the slide out solenoid did HWH tell you about how long the wait time would be.

The reason I ask is back in the first of March I had  a Solenoid fail and had to replace it. The coach was still under warranty and when the tech called to order the parts he was told there was a six to eight week hold up on shipping the part. Fortunately I had a new one in my stock of spare parts and replaced it. The tech ordered a new one and when it comes in will give it to me to replace my spare I used. This is the seventh week since the part was ordered and HWH has no idea when they will be shipping the part yet.

The solenoids are available new on eBay for around $260.00. You might want to purchase one as as a spare. I learned that lesson when I had my 05 Exec.

Back in March I sent you a trouble shooting guide about slide out creep, Was it Helpful.

You do not need any special tools to R & R the Solenoid. A pair of large pliers will loosen the Solenoid and it will turn easily out. The HWH Service manual cover the steps to replace them.

Ceramic Coatings
Scotty Hutto
17 minutes ago, Tom Wallis said:

I would love to see some pictures. Before and after would be really nice,

I second that motion.  All in favor?

Slide solenoid
Hypoxia
1 minute ago, David Pratt said:

You do not need any special tools to R & R the Solenoid. A pair of large pliers will loosen the Solenoid and it will turn easily out. The HWH Service manual cover the steps to replace them.

I would invite you to do a show and tell on my 2007 Signature with your large pliers.   Possible of course but you will be happy to use the solenoid tool after you bang around in there for a while.  I have used both methods. :classic_wink:

Ceramic Coatings
David Pratt

Yes it is a lot cheaper than a paint job, in fact It looks better than the new Factory Paint when I purchased the coach. The cost to do any coach will vary depending on length and how much paint correction has to be done. Also wet/dry sanding the coach is not normally included in the cost that other companies quote to do the process. Most just buff, glaze and Ceramic Coat.

The cost to do our coach was $8500.00.

I have a couple of pictures to attach. The first picture shows the coach after it has been wet/dry sanded and they have started buffing. The top half of the coach is still sanded and the bottom the have started to buff. The second picture is just a close up. I will post pictures of the coach done in a day or two.

Before pic 1.jpg

Before pic 2.jpg

HWH no response
vito.a

You can contact Paul at AZPETE. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email ispfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638.    

Sounds like your leveling sensor may need adjustment.  See this link for replacing and adjusting the leveling sensor.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repairing-hwh-2000-series-leveling-system-in-a-monaco-coach-389075.html

Air pressure gauge line blew off... HELP APPRECIATED
cureinc1

We had the same thing happen to us.

I have some spares 4 if i can help contact me.  I can one to you.  505-615-0675

Ernie Cuaron

07 Signature

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Terry T

I apologize for this, did you check the 7.5 amp fuses?

Terry

Ceramic Coatings
Terry T

Nice....

Chuck B

In my 8 years of full timing I have seen a lot of mistakes coach drivers have made.  One comes to mind when one owner was so caught up in something, he drove off leaving his power cord connected and failed to disconnect his sewer hose.  I was parked in the lot at the Elkhart repair facility when a driver came in driving his Sig.  He circled the parking lot taking off the outside mirrors of 2 coaches parked in the end slots.  A couple  of us had to step in front of his coach to stop him.  His wife came out the front door with a walker followed by the driver cussing us out.  Chuck B, 2004 Windsor

tcbrow

I have read in several places that the vinyl graphics on the coach should not be waxed but should be protected with a product designed for the job. I have searched on this forum and can not find any recommendations. What do you use to protect the graphics on your coach?

Tom B 2001 Diplomat

Jonbrooks

My old muscle cars with vinyl graphics have never really been hurt by waxes. Just stay away from compounds with grit in them. I've used vinyl protectants with good result as well.   

HWH Auto Leveling
Chuck B

I have experienced similar problems in the past.  I found that while traveling, road vibrations caused the plug to the controls came partially loose.  I unplugged the harness and plugged it back in.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Chuck B

I experienced a similar failure.  I found out that when starting the coach and turning on the dash air, not enough air pas passing through the evaporator coil to regulate the high side pressure causing the Freon to leak out of the the ports used to install and monitor the Freon.   I waited for the radiator stack fan to come on before turning on the dash air.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Captain seats
Jonbrooks

Here is the drivers seat bottom sewn back together with skirt. Even though the sewing is labor intensive wrestling these onto the seat frame is a paaain... A product called silk film will aide the process but I never look forward to it.

20210427_110248.jpg

20210427_110742.jpg

Chuck B

Those of you who have been to the Monaco Harrisburg, Oregon repair facility might remember Mary Moppins seminar on outside wall products.  Mary was not a fan on waxes that contained petroleum based waxes.  The build up on the surface tends to destroy vinyl graphics.  Her product Advantage is a waterless wash that when used provided a film that restricted ultra violent light from the sun from destroying the graphics.  Try goclean dot com for more information.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

cbr046

My HVAC tech buddy told me 30-40 psi on the low side would be good enough.  I brought mine up to 10 psi and 58F (20F differential) with Max AC & fan on HI when I checked it for the first time last week.  It took 2.5 cans and if it's still 10 psi I'll add a few more cans.  The PO told me the dash air didn't work so no telling how long it had been since it had a good charge in it. 

Of course I have a piercing type valve and now I need a "special" valve for self-sealing cans (flat pin vs sharp pin). 

As far as evacuating and starting over . . . . As long as air didn't enter the system IMO you'll be ok.  Of course, if you have the time and pump that's another story. 

The bad news is I get a lot of outside air coming in the coach at highway speeds.  The old F53 gasser leaked outside air too, but the HR is much worse.  Same for cold days.  I'd love to be able to find those leaks . . . .

Let us know where you find your freon leak.  Our HR's back end is over a bunch of rocks and not fun to crawl under.  Still chasing lots of other things too, like the back marker lights not working (fronts ok).  Yeeesh.

Best,

- bob

David Pratt

As Owner of Monacoers.org and along with the other Moderators we do not allow, condone, promote or support any post that discusses any methods to restrict, disable or modify any of the factory installed safety devices on the coaches.

The Monacoers.org group is for the Technical Support and information for the Members and to promote discussions in the Safe Operation of our Coaches.

Any Member can modify, alter or operate their coach as they wish, but when it goes against safety, WHETHER IT IS REMOVING, DISCONNECTING OR ALTERING ANY SAFETY DEVICE OR COMPONENT, we do not support or promote these discussions.  They have no place on this group and they need to be discussed elsewhere.

Any discussions of this type in the future will not be permitted and will be deleted with a warning to the Member who posts it.

I appreciate all our Members cooperation in such matters in the future..

Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com
On 4/25/2021 at 7:33 PM, John Haggard said:

Good luck 👍

John,new alternator came with both small posts labeled Duvac,old alternator had duvac on one side and ignition on the other? We called Wilson tech support and they said one side was for ignition and the other duvac, have you run into this before?

Thanks Wayne 

Transmission
John Haggard
23 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

John,new alternator came with both small posts labeled Duvac,old alternator had duvac on one side and ignition on the other? We called Wilson tech support and they said one side was for ignition and the other duvac, have you run into this before?

Thanks Wayne 

Hi Wayne 

No, not on mine.

I replaced mine with an original LN.

And wired the same. 

There are several on here that have talked about updating the  Alternator ???

What does work now ? If anything ??

Do you have power to your Ignition Switch ? 

On your original wiring harness. 

Do you have two or 3 small wires ??? 

Have you tried the small wires hooked up both ways .

I'm not an expert on Alternator s 🤔

I will study for more information 

Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

The answer all the question's is yes, when we hook the ignition terminal up it seems to be a dead short

Thanks Wayne 

ncsteve

Bob, I said it was no fun, but didn’t say it wasn’t worth it... lol. I agree 100%, no way I would pay someone that kind of money for the installation. That will pay for our trip to Colorado in July plus play money left over! 
 I just could not squeeze under the wheel well so I was between a rock and hard place at that point. 
On to the front, I probably could have done it without removing the tire, but since I have the impact now, just made things so much easier.
Hubs look good and full of oil. Brakes great as well.

4A718532-9788-438B-AD7A-CB6CDE260E56.thumb.jpeg.0b96c2f0f73a5e59f8b56f39a9790710.jpeg

next was to remove the old air bags and shocks. The top bolt on the shock was seized to the metal bushing. After removing the shock, had to press out the bushing and use a cut off wheel to remove the sleeve. ( should have gotten pics of it) 

118C54EE-869C-4097-95BE-DB38ACC0E4FD.thumb.jpeg.04bdc6eb0494a239f2f1cab383a8f54f.jpeg

installed the new bag. Then added piece of airline from ride height valve to ping tank( had to get at Napa as none came with kit) 

60B8543D-36E8-4B47-8F49-3326C290A6BB.thumb.jpeg.2320085c957580fe3da394d6f0c23e29.jpeg

B69656CE-D47C-42CF-93B6-19A17585118A.thumb.jpeg.d3bc1ffbddd263758a5b007cfd8fb64e.jpeg

next installed the ping tank and ran 1/2” line from bag to tank. I had a screw in T push to fit so I used that on the ping tank instead of using a straight and then a T fitting that was supplied. 7BD23D9C-8689-477F-9C19-72644A7240B0.thumb.jpeg.698a323ba4c1790bf7ac558f4f9ab5c0.jpeg
D9A0C0AE-D831-4ED1-8F1D-720D42EB65A2.thumb.jpeg.5d0fe684f2331dcdb20c653d75c52d11.jpeg

9D2ED844-F000-4C0F-83B4-5C30C3A8C3D9.thumb.jpeg.92ba944744bf6f7c832326bd226c661a.jpeg

going to finish up the driver side this evening I hope.

Transmission
John Haggard
19 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

The answer all the question's is yes, when we hook the ignition terminal up it seems to be a dead short

Thanks Wayne 

So those are hard to find.

Hopefully a wire isn't shorting out from back to front.

The process of elimination,  Isolation.

I do have the switch  diagrams but can't find yet 😕

20210425_190401.jpg

Bob Keating

Looks Good!

You will like the results.

Testdepth

Thanks for the feedback Chuck and cbr046. I'm thinking (hoping!) my leak is Schrader valves. I pulled a vacuum (29") on the system and checked it after a couple of hours, no change. I left it overnight and only lost about 5" of Mercury so it is a pretty small leak. I put some dye in this morning and added 12 oz of refrigerant which was enough to give me enough low side pressure to engage the compressor clutch. I'm going to leave it at that and do some searching with a blacklight to see if I can find a leak. There's no sense dumping any more freon than necessary!

If I can't get any info on how much freon it is supposed to have I'll just guess by monitoring Low and High pressures and evaporator output temp and call it good. Not sure of any other way to do it.

Thanks again for the input.

Mike

Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Everything is correct at the back as it should be, waiting to hear back from technical support to why there are two labeled duvac,they need to tell us which one should be ignition without sparking like it does when you try to hook it up.all the drawings are correct I think they labeled this alternator wrong and or something wrong with it,going to wait for them to call back then go with their suggestion, may need to be bench tested. 

Thank John 

Transmission
John Haggard
5 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Everything is correct at the back as it should be, waiting to hear back from technical support to why there are two labeled duvac,they need to tell us which one should be ignition without sparking like it does when you try to hook it up.all the drawings are correct I think they labeled this alternator wrong and or something wrong with it,going to wait for them to call back then go with their suggestion, may need to be bench tested. 

Thank John 

I certainly hope it's that simple 

But if you have tried the wires both ways ?

And the alternator is grounded correctly?

They may need to get you another Alternator 

Pitty 🤫🤔 hopefully not

Good luck. 👍

Thanks for the update 

trailmug

The Schraders seal well enough for you to get the caps on, but they aren't the primary seal.. if the caps are missing, you'll want some replacements. My low side pressure is pretty low with a full charge (15psi) owing to the long suction line.

It's difficult to charge these guys without recovering and weighing it in. If you have no capacity label, based on my experiences, I'd fill to 18F subcooling and then recover a pound. Capacities seem to vary a significant amount system to system.

Intellitec Support - CPU and Keypad backups and restores
pwhittle

Hi All,

I see a lot of people on this and other forums that are not having an easy time getting support for their Intellitec questions and issues.

Along with others on this forum, I have gained a pretty good understanding of how the Intellitec system works on our 2005 Monaco Signature and how to backup and restore the main CPU and the keypads.

I reached out to Intellitec about becoming an official Intellitec reseller, and they welcomed me! I can now order direct from Intellitec for any Intellitec parts that you may need.

One of the important things that all owners with Intellitec Multiplex systems should do is to make a backup of their main CPU as well as each of their keypads. If the main CPU or a keypad develops a fault, you want to have the data to program a replacement. If you do not, it becomes significantly more difficult, time consuming, and costly.

I am in the process of assembling kits that will contain the Intellitec programming adapter that works for the CPU and the keypads, a USB drive with the necessary software and to store your backups on, an instruction guide on how to make the backups, some tools to make getting the keypad covers off easier, and a way to contact me for questions and support. I do not have final pricing yet, but it is expected to be in the $400-$500 price range for the complete kit.

I will also be able to do this as a service for you if we are in the same location without buying the kit.

Let me know if this is of interest to you and I can include you in the first set of kits to go out.

Paul Whittle

SoDakLou

Put me on the "Interested" list.

rpasetto

I have not been able to get the Intellitec PMC II software to run properly making a backup on anything newer than a Windows XP computer.   Paul, have you been able to do that?

Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

You know your stuff John,another alternator is on its way,  we have a great relationship with our client's so not a big deal to get things done, they had one left so it will be shipped and in hand tomorrow. 

Thanks again

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Transmission
David Pratt

There has been countless discussion on this Forum about replacing the Alternator on our Coaches.

Out of all these discussions it has been documented that the best route to take is to have your OEM Alternator rebuilt unless you can find the exact replacement, The reason is that most RV Alternators, especially on Diesel Pushers are custom built for the RV environment and most "off the shelf" Alternators either are not compatible and they do not work or cause other problems, some serious. Although those "OFF the shelf" Alternators look the same and have the same specs there can be internal changes that are RV specific.

If you still have your OEM alternator I would suggest you get it rebuilt by a reputable shop or find the exact Manufacturer, part number, model number of the Alternator that was on your coach to replace it with..

Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

Your correct, it is the same manufacturer, model, all of the above ,just seems to be an issue with it.I am going to send the old one back to be rebuilt as well.

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Captain seats
Jonbrooks

A before and after of the leather that failed after 20 years of sun and use. The textile installed should not follow this issue. 

Crown AGM Batteries
Barry W

Finally bit the bullit and bought four Crown AGM batteries for house.  In process of setting battery type on Intellitec, discovered AGM and AGM 2.  Just wondering what the difference?

Discovered the difference, but do not know which category the Crown batteries fall in.

Note 2: specifications for Concord (Lifeline Series) AGM batteries.
Note 3: specifications for East Penn, Deka, Discover and Trojan AGM batteries.

Bob125

Thanks for the ideas and information.  I did check the 7.5a fuses and both were good.

When I plug in the Iso Relay green LED is lit.  After a while, when the house battery charger goes to float charging the LED goes off.  The chassis batteries end up around 12.9v and the house batteries at 13.1v.  But the green LED goes out.

Does this sound like the BIRD is working?  I was thinking the chassis batteries voltage should be around 13.1 (float charge voltage) and the green LED should stay on.

Thanks again for any help, Bob...

Bob125

I'm interested as well.  Please put me on the list. 

I'm only hoping for someone to do the same with the Kongsberg CCM.

Thx, Bob...

2009 Beaver Marquis

Transmission
John Haggard
1 hour ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Your correct, it is the same manufacturer, model, all of the above ,just seems to be an issue with it.I am going to send the old one back to be rebuilt as well.

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Wayne

Are you certain that the original was the original that came with the coach , originally???

pwhittle
1 hour ago, rpasetto said:

I have not been able to get the Intellitec PMC II software to run properly making a backup on anything newer than a Windows XP computer.   Paul, have you been able to do that?

Yes. I am running the on Windows 10.

For a different project I wanted to resurrect an old parallel port EPROM programmer. I screwed around, bought a new PCI LPT port card, bought a video card for an old PC, bought an adapter for that card, and finally bought another old PC before I got it to run using a DOS boot from USB.

Nothing’s easy.

Paul

20 minutes ago, Bob125 said:

I'm interested as well.  Please put me on the list. 

I'm only hoping for someone to do the same with the Kongsberg CCM.

Thx, Bob...

2009 Beaver Marquis

I would almost buy a coach with a failed Kongsberg to bring it back to life, but I would need a working one to work out what it does as I have not found any documentation on it.

More complicated than a toilet controller though.

I have a couple other projects queued up to help us keep our old rigs going too!

Paul

Transmission
wayne.cerven@gmail.com

I believe so,it looks exactly the same as the ones in all the drawings and everything that I have seen on line for our Rigs, taking the new one back and sending the old one out for a rebuild.at this point not in a hurry to get out with it, was suppose to use it on a project next week but going to stay in a hotel and not rush things, waiting for new Aqua hot motor and fuel coil should arrive next week. The alternator I bet is the original and it is also original Aqua hot motor. My friend owned it for 14 years,he never did any of those repairs. So 14 years and I have owned it for 4 years, so 18 years later starting to do some of those larger items, Rad will be next spring. Thought about a fifth wheel again,  did that a few times, love the Monaco!

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Transmission
John Haggard
7 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

I believe so,it looks exactly the same as the ones in all the drawings and everything that I have seen on line for our Rigs, taking the new one back and sending the old one out for a rebuild.at this point not in a hurry to get out with it, was suppose to use it on a project next week but going to stay in a hotel and not rush things, waiting for new Aqua hot motor and fuel coil should arrive next week. The alternator I bet is the original and it is also original Aqua hot motor. My friend owned it for 14 years,he never did any of those repairs. So 14 years and I have owned it for 4 years, so 18 years later starting to do some of those larger items, Rad will be next spring. Thought about a fifth wheel again,  did that a few times, love the Monaco!

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

I well understand 😌

Diesel pushers can eat your bank account. 

If I ever do retire ???

It's a bumper pull trailer for me.

Had 3 airstreams and two D.Ps 

But for now 🤗

Love the Signature more and more. 

New Dometic 4 door fridge 2019.

New aquahot last August 2020

New Michelin tires spring 2020.

Keep on rolling for now.

And

Keeping on farming to keep $$$s flowing 

Ivan K
2 hours ago, trailmug said:

The Schraders seal well enough for you to get the caps on, but they aren't the primary seal.. if the caps are missing, you'll want some replacements. My low side pressure is pretty low with a full charge (15psi) owing to the long suction line.

It's difficult to charge these guys without recovering and weighing it in. If you have no capacity label, based on my experiences, I'd fill to 18F subcooling and then recover a pound. Capacities seem to vary a significant amount system to system.

Exactly my observation. Low suction pressure with good high pressure. Don't want it crazy high to achieve good low pressure with those 40' lines. I used about 4lbs of R134 while watching the gauges. But I evacuated and replaced the accumulator and expansion valve first. The problem with a leak is that you don't know how much oil might have been lost over time, so starting all over is safest. If you don't have an oily leak and still have decent static pressure per temp chart, leaky valves can be replaced with the valve tool without losing freon.

David Pratt

The green light should remain on when connected to shore power or when  the generator is running regardless what state of charge the batteries are in. When the batteries are in float the light should be on, the Big Boy Relay should be humming and hot to touch and the voltage on the Big. Boy should be above 13vdc on both of the large posts. The voltages I sent you for diagnosing the bird relay need to be verified.

Bedroom Slide Not working Properly
Corkman

I went to slide my bedroom slide in today, when I was heading out on a 4 week trip, and after about 12 inches I hear this clicking grinding noise and the slide stopped moving. After an hour or two of troubleshooting and brainstorming we discovered that the bar on top of the motor that moves the slide in had worn and the bar's gears would not stay in contact with the motor's rotating gear. It would slip out (the bar connected to the slide's gear would slip out of the motor's rotating gear. I was able to use a hammer to force the bar down in to contact enough with the motor's rotating gear to move the bedroom slide. It only needed to move about 3-4 inches and then it caught the rotating gear enough and worked properly again. I think the slide's movement is up/down a little as it moves in and out. This down movement with my hammer moved the bar connected to the slide enough down so that it contacted the motor's rotating gear enough to move the slide after about a 3-4 inch past the slip.

Picture one is the bar I am talking about. If you look at the silver color on the left side you can see the wear, on the metal (no longer black paint), allowing the bar to miss the motor's rotating gear enough to slip out of full contact.

The second video is the "slip" in action,

The third video is the work-a-round I used with my hammer. 

I hope this work-a-round idea helps other.

Does anyone know where I can order a new top bar that is not worn down like this one?

Show Wear.JPG

William

Paul, interested but not sure if this is necessary for my 2003 monaco windsor? 

David Pratt

Rethinking about the voltages you are seeing, the house batteries should be at a higher voltage than the chassis batteries by +/_ .3 to .4vdc. If the batteries stay charged at that voltage, the bird relay is probably working. I am just not sure why green light goes out when in float. Does your coach have the chassis MUX system.

Ceramic Coatings
JDCrow

Lotta work to wet sand. Your coach is beautiful, very worth it.

pwhittle
39 minutes ago, William said:

Paul, interested but not sure if this is necessary for my 2003 monaco windsor? 

Hi William,

I don’t think so. The Intellitec PMC Multiplex system was first introduced in the 2005 Signature, then other models in later years.

Paul

Bob125

I was thinking that also (that green led should stay on). If the chassis is holding 12.8-12.9, is that enough not to be too low for starting?  If I don’t start for a long time I think they even drain lower like 12.6.   I was thinking more like 13.1 -13.3 was better.  I know the bulk charge will be over 14v.  

Yes, this is a 2009 Beaver Marquis with the Kongsberg CCM.  I’ve always thought I used up chassis batteries quicker than I should.  This last set last 4.5 years.

thanks for all the help and info, Bob...

ncsteve

I hope so. Got the rest of the front done this evening. Fired the coach up waiting to hear the bags”fix” themselves.  Nothing..... no air to front bags what so ever. Was getting dark so I will have to assess my hose routing. With only 3 airlines I “ thought” I had it figured out. Definitely not, feeling pretty dumb at the moment😠

bill4029

I am interested as well.. I was researching how I could get the interface up and running and have backups for the various components too.. So this is a perfect fit for me. I would feel much better having this completed "Just in Case"   

Thanks for your research so far

Bill!

HWH no response
Ivan K

I had my portion of weird HWH air leveling behaviour and every time it was due to the touch pad cable connection on either of it's ends until I stopped it from shaking out. One time it was switching to leveling while driving and that wasn't a good feeling but I doubt it was actually doing it. That stopped after replacing all the push buttons on the 'touch' pad' board.

WCourand

Please put me on the interest list. Thanks

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.