Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/408-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Bedroom Slide Not working Properly
throgmartin
Dr4Film
Corkman
Ceramic Coatings
JDCrow
Captain seats
Jonbrooks
Icon on our TripTek display
Florainer
Lightening Ground Strike/Aladdin
Monaco04
Captain seats
Mike H
Dash A/C
Rikadoo
Captain seats
Jonbrooks
Chuck B
vinyl graphics protectant
dl_racing427
Steering issue
dl_racing427
Steering issue
vanwill52
Steering issue
dl_racing427
lwkhou
Steering issue
stillrunning_60@hotmail.com
Steering issue
jacwjames
Steering issue
vanwill52
Rope Lighting Replacement Source
Connie B

throgmartin

Does this slide have a wardrobe on it or a bed ?

You can contact Lippert directly and order the part. If they wont sell it directly to you then call my Director Amy at Talin RV and she will order it and have it drop shipped to you.  352-942-2653. You can also ask to speak with my Tech, Dustin. He is one of the best slide guys in the country.

Dr4Film

Chris is right on point with his remark that Dustin is one of the best slide guys in the country.

This past March when at Talin RV for some awning work, Dustin found two hidden problems with my large drop-down floor level slide that had been plaguing me many many years. The slide now works correctly and fits snugly against the coach when closed.

He found elongated holes in the square drive shafts where the sheer pins go through and a partially busted spring pin in one of the drive cog wheels.

Corkman

Yes, the bed is on the slide. I contacted Lippert and they are having one made, probably from Talin RV I suspect. It will take a couple weeks and probably be dropped shipped.

Thanks,

Ceramic Coatings
JDCrow

Indeed. The good stuff takes training. In order to offer a “warranty” they have to ensure it was applied properly. 

My F250 took 3 days alone. Had multiple coats of a certain product line and it has to cure between coats. It’s on thick, in fact it’s very smooth that little to no orange peel is present.

On all our rigs coated, no soap with wax, or quick wax can be used. It clogs the coating. 

Captain seats
Jonbrooks

Finally got the embroidered material back. Time to sew this project up...so to speak 

20210430_090920.jpg

Florainer

When I was driving our rig yesterday I noticed what looked like a little oil can icon displayed on the Panasonic CRT rear-vision camera on our 2003 Holiday Rambler. Our rig has a TripTek computer, so I'm assuming the TripTek is what put this icon on the display. However when I look through the the TripTek operator's manual there's no mention of any icons being involved. Ours is a model 2500-3T TripTek. Does anyone have any info about how this icon came to be displayed on our rear-vision camera? Thanks in advance...

P.S. I find the display of the current gear in the Coach Data screen to be helpful, it helps me to know if I'm in 6th gear or not.

Monaco04

Just an update to our problem.  Still researching, but we have found that the TVSS Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor connected to the transfer switch box does not have the light on.  So we are looking at replacing that.  There is also another box attached to the Transfer Switch box would this be part of the Aladdin system?  It looks like it has 2 round glass fuses in it. Not sure what type fuse these are.  Thank you for all your comments.  Will keep you updated.

Roadmaster Base Plates PN 327-1 for Nissan Frontier, Xterra and More
Canuck Don

Hi Mike, do you still have this Roadmaster base plate?

Don

Captain seats
Mike H
43 minutes ago, Jonbrooks said:

Finally got the embroidered material back. Time to sew this project up...so to speak 

20210430_090920.jpg

Looks like they did a good job.  Just curious, did they sew a straight bar all the way across the center of it or did they make it more like the Monaco logo?  The original one on mine had the full straight line.  I don't know why they made it different.  Maybe it was easier to sew it that way or may be was to keep it from puckering up or something.  I didn't care one way or the other so I guess they just decided to duplicate the old one.  I did have them make it about an inch larger though.

Dash A/C
Rikadoo

Bad thing about a plugged evaporator drain is the mildew smell🤢 hope you get it fixed soon.

Intellitec Support - CPU and Keypad backups and restores
W7BE_Bob

My 09 Scepter does not have a CPU and hence I was under the impression that any replacement just required dip switch settings. Is this correct?

Captain seats
Jonbrooks

They were concerned about puckering when they saw the sew file from Nancy. They ran it on a spare chunk of material and it came out great.

Intellitec Support - CPU and Keypad backups and restores
pwhittle

It is possible to have the Intellitec 50A EMS act as the PMC Master, or add a separate PMC Master and still support some output modules and keypads.

It would be fairly straightforward to recreate/update keypads in this configuration, and no main CPU backup is required.

Paul

Chuck B

The two round glass fuses and associated parts allows the Aladdin system to access the AC and DC information to be displayed on the Aladdin screens.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

vinyl graphics protectant
dl_racing427

I'm a bit surprised that the Protect-All worked better than the 303 on vinyl.

I've used both, and the Protect-All is more like a wax coating, where the 303 soaks into the surface more.

Nothing beats 303 on tires and rubber, but I used Protect-All on my race car, with it's vinyl lettering, and it held up well, though it was always stored indoors.
I like the fact that it's fast and easy to apply as well.

Steering issue
dl_racing427
15 hours ago, vanwill52 said:

Your pix show the sector shaft depth engagement screw of a TRW box.  Refer to the (voluminous) posts on iRV2 about how to adjust lost motion.  IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE, AND ANYONE TELLING YOU THAT YOU NEED AN "EXPERT" TO ADJUST IT HAS PROBABLY NEVER CHANGED A FLAT TIRE.

If you have a TRW gear, the chance that it needs service (other than adjustment for lost motion) are  miniscule.

Rear cross-braces and a front Watts link will further improve your driving experience beyond your expectations.

No need to replace your trailing arm bushings.  Most coaches after 2001 have the latest design of Monaco OEM trailing arm bushing and increasing that stiffness with the ATRO bushing replacement results in only modest improvement.  The three big things to improve your driving experience are 1) adjust your TRW gear or replace you Sheppard with a TRW. 2) Add a front Watts link from www.monacowatts.com  3) Add rear cross-braces from www.monacowatts.com.  Mike Hughes has done far more installations than I did for "proof of concept".  Mike is a wealth of knowledge.  (And a helluva nice guy!)

That's strange, as the pics clearly show Sheppard cast into the side of his box.

Did Sheppard ever make an adjustable steering gear like the TRW?

Steering issue
vanwill52
58 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

That's strange, as the pics clearly show Sheppard cast into the side of his box.

Did Sheppard ever make an adjustable steering gear like the TRW?

Good catch, David.  I don't know if the pix are mixed up between Sheppard and TRW.  Our true guru on these issues is Craig French, who has sold his Monaco and will soon be  constructing from scratch of a mega-monster off-road coach based on a 5500 (?) Cummins diesel powered 4x4 cab & chassis.  He seldom contributes since selling his Monaco.  I sold him two machine tools from the closure of my business that I expect will play a significant part in that build. But in my experience with adjusting the pinion engagement of 50+ coaches with TRW gears, I don't recall any Sheppard having any adjustment whatsoever.  I even machined a special two-piece adjustment wrench for Craig because he offered to adjust anyone's TRW gear at each Gathering.  That speical wrench/screwdriver was machined to fit the slotted adjuster/locknut shown in that picture.  Craig is quite an impressive engineer, even though he has no formal Mechanical Engineering experience.

The Sheppard was a steering gear built with a fixed engagement pinion (straight-cut gear) and a simple (straight-cut) rack gear.  The fact that the rack gear was straight-cut, relegated any adjustment of pinion engagement moot, because any increase in engagement on a worn-in-the-center straight-cut rack gear would only cause binding at any position other than dead-center.  To my knowledge, NO Sheppard gear ever had any adjustment.  And the "blueprinting" of a Sheppard gear (Red Head was one company offering that service) involved simply choosing the largest pitch-diameter pinion and pairing it with the highest pitch-diameter rack gear.  It was essentially a process of pitch-diameter parts selection, not of changing anything whatever about the construction of the gear.  To give it due credit, the Sheppard gear is arguably more robust than the TRW, and its design is well suited to extreme loads in moving the steering linkage of a HUGE off-road Terex machine which moves at very low speeds.  However, motor home owners want something with a dead-ahead "zero-play", much like they are accustomed to in automobiles, which all (as far as I know) have an adjustment for zero "dead ahead" play.

The TRW, on the other hand, has a pinion which is cut with a very slight taper in pitch diameter.  The further you adjust its engagement into the rack gear, the larger its "effective" pitch diameter becomes.  This cures any "dead-center" free-play issues.  But the true genius of the TRW gear is that its RACK is cut "bowed up" in its center.  That is, its "effective" pitch diameter is greater at its center.  therefore, you can always adjust the gear to "zero backlash" in the straight-ahead position without any binding at positions other that "straight-ahead"

I don't know how it happened, but I think the pix of the adjustment screw is of a TAS-95 (?) TRW gear.  If not, I stand corrected.  But one thing my vast experience with wandering problems of Roadmaster chassis has taught me is that an owner like Jim with a "very tight" Sheppard box is rare.  If you own a MH with a sloppy, large "dead center" position of the steering wheel, it is possible it is a TRW needing adjustment...but more likely it is a Sheppard which can only be replaced to cure the problem.  Forget "blueprinting" your steering box.

Request information on this lift pump (I want to install a pressure gauge).
Robert92867

2002 Knight PBD32.  Cummins ISB 24V.  106,000 M and I'm starting to get worried about the age/mileage on the Bosch VP44 high pressure fuel pump, and this unknown lift pump.  My research tells me the first step is to monitor pressure off the lift pump. All the undercoating makes it hard to see if there is a nameplate.

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

All Aluminum Neptune, replacing rivets and oxidation removal
Rob’s 32PBD

I have a 2004 Neptune 32PBD, with aluminum sides and top.  Has anyone replaced the rivets holding the aluminum sheets on the sides, some of the rivets seem to have loosened up.? If so, aluminum rivets or stainless?  Do the small holes in the center of rivets get sealed?
Also, the original white “paint” is dull and oxidized, any chance it’ll ever be shiny again without a full paint?

All Aluminum Neptune, replacing rivets and oxidation removal
JDCrow

Someone with more experience can vouch on rivets. Galvanic (I believe that’s the word) can occur when using dissimilar metals, ie steel with aluminum. Given the age of the coach, it might not be a big deal as it seems there tends to be other forces at work behind the walls and under the floors. 

As for polish, if it’s a single stage paint, and I would believe it is, TR3 resin glaze is hard to beat to bring back shine and remove oxidation. But again, someone who owns one would know the paint for sure. 

Steering issue
dl_racing427

Van.

Thank you for that thorough explanation of the problem with the Sheppard box, as well as the differences between it and the TRW.

California Will Now be Off My List of States to Visit
Robert92867

Don't Motorhomes manufactured after 2005 have to be smogged anyway?  Are we just talking about older models (like mine) that were previously declared exempt? If you had to live through 6 months of very unhealthy air, due to the fires in CA 2020, you would likely be in favor of any measures to improve air quality.  I will continue to live in So Cal try to squeeze a few more grand trips in since the motorhome is paid off and still runs.

Request information on this lift pump (I want to install a pressure gauge).
Wonsquire

You may be better off tapping in with your fuel pressure sensor on the output side of the secondary fuel filter. You may have to add a "T", but, this will give you a better reading on what pressure is actually being delivered to the injection pump. I did mine 1 1/2 years ago. My best reading, if memory serves, was about 8 psi. Not too good so I added aftermarket pump just behind fuel tank, now runs between 12 and 16 psi. I have a couple of pics and other details if your interested.

lwkhou

A maintenance item is due.  Go to the Setup menu, then select Maintenance setup.  Then review which item is due i.e. change oil, transmission fluid, etc.  Then change the parameter to reset it. 

Steering issue
stillrunning_60@hotmail.com

Went back out and took another pic of the small screw in bottom of box (pic) adjustment for the box I have no clue. This is for sure a Shepherd steering box I took another pic of letters in case. Can not find a label. If it had one it has been painted over.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Steering issue
jacwjames

Here is a manual for a Sheppard steering box I had in my files.  It does have a section on symptoms and troubleshooting.   I did a quick glance and there is no mention of any type adjustment to the box.  It does mention air trapped in box as a potential problem.  Also suggests checking the intermediate shaft in the steering column. 

Sheppard M100 steering box series manual.pdf

2002 Dip, first MH to cut our teeth on
JDCrow

Micro build out and install

And I know most are down on the Norcold, wife wanted a little change, and plastic panels were easy and look great 

A788CB4B-97CF-49D5-B93D-F75829B780EC.jpeg

5A9DEAEB-C22E-48A0-83DE-1C1E28026274.jpeg

32CCBA80-A0CB-45C2-A492-EB5F80B17257.jpeg

0C0661A8-5F77-467D-8852-D19F1C261950.jpeg

E78EFE9F-CBC8-4F07-AB59-6D518FBDC1C1.jpeg

6F41AD9D-E593-42B3-8314-B00681442478.jpeg

A7F2EC4F-D3D0-4D08-9A68-0965368C64D2.jpeg

Steering issue
vanwill52

The last pix you posted in the first series of pix shows a rusty patch on a flat area between two bolt bosses.  On most of the TRW gears, that is where the model number is located.  It is pin-stamped and faint, but if you clean the area with ScotchBrite the numbers will show up.  Looks like someone has already done that in the past.

Does your Pittman arm fasten to the gear with a bolt through its steering gear end?  Or does it use a clamp bolt that squeezes a split in the steering gear end of the arm?

Rope Lighting Replacement Source
Connie B

Patrick 

we have a 2006 Executive. We have under cabinet rope lighting in the kitchen that has gone out. I was curious if you replaced this area or not?  Looking for ideas and suggestions. 

thanks. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.