Monacoers Daily Digest

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/411-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Aqua Hot
Dr4Film
New couch
Connie B
Slide Hydraulic leak
Bob Blackmon
Oil change interval
6Wheels
Oil change interval
Ivylog
Oil change interval
John Haggard
Oil change interval
6Wheels
Lightening Ground Strike/Aladdin
Connie B
Monaco04
Oil change interval
Ivylog
Oil change interval
John Haggard
Aqua Hot
Corkman
Oil change interval
Ivylog
Oil change interval
Chuck B
Oil change interval
John Haggard
Aqua Hot
Paul A.
Aqua Hot
Corkman
Oil change interval
Ivylog
Oil change interval
John Haggard
Who Builds Basement Compartment Doors
Ron Jones
Oil change interval
Hypoxia
Oil change interval
Ivylog
Connie B
Monaco04
duncan8846@att.net
2006 Monaco Diplomat
Rick A
2006 Monaco Diplomat
BobSchmeck
Changing serpentine belt
ncsteve
2006 Monaco Diplomat
Rick A
New AT&T Data Plan
Scotty Hutto

Aqua Hot
Dr4Film

The link that I use to get to Roger Berke's Aqua-Hot Forum where you can sign up at is:

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/content.php

The other link should have worked also so I don't know what your specific problem might be other than to clean up your cache and get rid of excess files in your browser or try a different browser.

I use FireFox.

New couch
Connie B

Hey Steven,  this looks great. This is one we are looking to do also. Did you leave you j couch or replace it also?  we are replacing both.

2006 Monaco Executive 

Intellitec Support - CPU and Keypad backups and restores
dverstra@comcast.net

Count me in also. Long time lurker here.

Slide Hydraulic leak
Bob Blackmon

Can you loosen the 90 where it goes into the ram to take that sharp bend out of the line? 

Oil change interval
6Wheels

My uncle was a chemical engineer for Standard Oil and told me point blank that the claims made as far as how long you can go between oil changes was based on ideal conditions.  Back then the interval was 5,000 miles and he said 3,000 was safer.  Then synthetics came out and intervals started creeping up to the 10,000 mark.

My boat mechanic advised I change once in the spring and once in the fall (up north).  The idea was to put into storage with fresh oil, and then start fresh at the beginning of the season.

Now I feel it depends on how you use the rig.  If you can start and run the engine(s) for a couple hours each month, once per year is sufficient as long as you are using synthetic.

Oil change interval
Ivylog

My boat mechanic advised I change once in the spring and once in the fall (up north).  The idea was to put into storage with fresh oil, and then start fresh at the beginning of the season.”

So the new oil sits in the bottom of the pan over the winter. If he drains it out, he  probably puts it in another boat as new oil, which it is. How can the boat sit all winter but we’re supposed to run our engines every month...only in the RV world were annual air filter replacement was recently recommended by a manufacturer’s idiot (not on this forum).

Folks, do whatever you want as it’s only money. If $25 is too much to find the health of your engine and oil, don’t do a oil sample. If changing  annual with only a couple thousand miles makes you feel better...”Just Do It”.

Oil change interval
John Haggard
35 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

My uncle was a chemical engineer for Standard Oil and told me point blank that the claims made as far as how long you can go between oil changes was based on ideal conditions.  Back then the interval was 5,000 miles and he said 3,000 was safer.  Then synthetics came out and intervals started creeping up to the 10,000 mark.

My boat mechanic advised I change once in the spring and once in the fall (up north).  The idea was to put into storage with fresh oil, and then start fresh at the beginning of the season.

Now I feel it depends on how you use the rig.  If you can start and run the engine(s) for a couple hours each month, once per year is sufficient as long as you are using synthetic.

You make some good points 

This 15 KW generator gets O F gas filter every 6 months.

The merc annually. For the past 21 years.

Neither have ever been winterized. 

Right or wrong ? Either way can work for a specific usage. 

And the owner operator makes the call.

Best he can.

Each owner has to live with the maintenance decisions they make.

Synthetic versis non synthetic or blends

Ha, that's like talking Chevy versus Ford.

Then fuel filters manufacturers and changing intervals. That like

Farming with J.D.s or Case IH

Or Massys 

The main thing, issue is.

We pay for service and not tow bills.

Or down time.

That's very important 

Reality is, I Change the air filter in my coach annually. 

Farm tractors

Daily at times. Under specific conditions 

20210415_072055.jpg

16200453674807688298836653137127.jpg

Oil change interval
6Wheels

With the cold we find moisture condenses in the engine over the winter.  Changing it out hopefully removes the condesation and we have fresh oil.

Just a theory.  It is only money.

Hey John,

Us boaters are famous for over-maintaining our craft.  Never want to get stuck adrift somewhere where there is no help.

towboatus-boat-big.jpg

Connie B
On 4/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, Monaco04 said:

Just an update to our problem.  Still researching, but we have found that the TVSS Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor connected to the transfer switch box does not have the light on.  So we are looking at replacing that.  There is also another box attached to the Transfer Switch box would this be part of the Aladdin system?  It looks like it has 2 round glass fuses in it. Not sure what type fuse these are.  Thank you for all your comments.  Will keep you updated.

We had a similar issue. What monitor for the Aladdin do you have in your unit?  Do you have a second monitor?  Our main monitor was dark and out bedroom was working. We had help from this group and finally found out Aladdin and the front monitor is working again. It shows no shore power, we are still working out the bugs. We had to replace our transfer switch. Good luck. 

Monaco04

Thanks for info.  Our transfer switch is working so we are still looking for problem.  

Oil change interval
Ivylog

Thanks for the lead up... “Reality is, I Change the air filter in my coach annually.” 

I took a picture of what I do every day with the air filter in my skid steer. I tap the dirt/dust out on the rubber track and put it back in. That filter is probably 5 years old and occasionally I’ll take it to the shop and blow it out with air.

They put filter minders on our rig for a reason OH, never mind...change the oil and all filters every year. New tires at 5 years (If cracking Michelin’s probably a good idea)  drive it every month and exercise the generator too...only in the RV world..

Best estimate of hours on equipment I’ve owned without a engine failure is 150,000+ hours with most in a mining operation over 20 years. Did have a erosion/cavitation liner pin hole on a early turbo diesel before we knew cca was needed.

483C6476-19B1-4F69-9C2A-EBA76B658AC4.thumb.jpeg.22ee1fa7cd539403e71a32da89aea4ce.jpeg

Oil change interval
John Haggard
32 minutes ago, 6Wheels said:

With the cold we find moisture condenses in the engine over the winter.  Changing it out hopefully removes the condesation and we have fresh oil.

Just a theory.  It is only money.

Hey John,

Us boaters are famous for over-maintaining our craft.  Never want to get stuck adrift somewhere where there is no help.

towboatus-boat-big.jpg

Yes, Great Points,  They want $120. Annually for membership here on this body of water 100 plus miles long. 

I have never bought a membership. 

I put those $s toward service and Our insurance policy's 

I have changed generator water impeller s

Several times out on the river.

Got to have those thrusters working when docking.

But we carry enough tools and spare parts to always get back in safely. 

Aqua Hot
Corkman
4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Perfect, thanks

Oil change interval
Ivylog

“Us boaters are famous for over-maintaining our craft.  Never want to get stuck adrift somewhere where there is no help.”

Dang, I hope someone comes up with that service (Air Tow US) for me and yes I do oil samples on it too. Helps to have the wheels down when landing. Only 2200 hours over 40 years doing most of the annual inspections myself.24A0456D-E1CF-47E5-B632-AA61E8F1202B.thumb.png.bac1d2a65ff8c3d5cfceb34fc524f027.pngA5086B53-32A1-4CA0-B0A7-0E9C670693E2.thumb.jpeg.f5bbc7f7c1285401782631b8e4bdcc8f.jpeg

Oil change interval
Chuck B

Wow, this oil change thread has gone a long way.  I was wondering when a member would bring air planes into the discussion.  I wonder what the oil change interval on my lawn tractor is?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Oil change interval
John Haggard
38 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

Wow, this oil change thread has gone a long way.  I was wondering when a member would bring air planes into the discussion.  I wonder what the oil change interval on my lawn tractor is?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Yes Chuck 

I'm so confused ( now ) that 😕 I ran out and bought this for my summer RV  site.

Now I will be told 🙂😌

It's the wrong color. 😕

20210426_140719.jpg

20210426_101037.jpg

Aqua Hot
Paul A.
15 hours ago, Corkman said:

Hi Paul,

Have you been able to get to the forum? I followed a link via http://www.rogerberke.com/) but the forum link does not work, nor the "contact me" link.

Try this link;  http://rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/  The menu is near the top. Click on ; forum.  

Aqua Hot
Corkman
26 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Try this link;  http://rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/  The menu is near the top. Click on ; forum.  

this link below worked great, thanks

http://forum.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/content.php

Oil change interval
Ivylog

Nah, electric is the way to go...at least in mowers!3BFA6456-5687-4F68-9BAE-0FECB78086DB.thumb.png.eb6feb5f0cd697ea0d2bcf5015d69d54.png

Oil change interval
John Haggard
9 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Nah, electric is the way to go...at least in mowers!3BFA6456-5687-4F68-9BAE-0FECB78086DB.thumb.png.eb6feb5f0cd697ea0d2bcf5015d69d54.png

Looks orange to me ???

Probably won't cut 5 minutes without recharge 😉😁

Ron Jones

A few years ago (when we still had our Monaco), I ruined a compartment door. Alliance in Wildwood, Florida, BUILT a new compartment door in their shop (while I watched), painted the two-tone brown, mounted it, it dried overnight, and all was good. Everything took less than one day.

Now, I need a new compartment door on my current coach. I am searching for any dealer (anyone) that builds them. I really don’t want to wait the 5-6 weeks if I order one from Newmar.

If you know of a company that builds these, please let me know at rej@gte.net. Please, no west coast companies.
Thanks.

Jim Byrd

Most any local sheetmetal should be able tofabricate a basement storage door and body shop will be able to paint.

Jim

Oil change interval
Hypoxia
4 hours ago, Ivylog said:

“Us boaters are famous for over-maintaining our craft.  Never want to get stuck adrift somewhere where there is no help.”

Dang, I hope someone comes up with that service (Air Tow US) for me and yes I do oil samples on it too. Helps to have the wheels down when landing. Only 2200 hours over 40 years doing most of the annual inspections myself.24A0456D-E1CF-47E5-B632-AA61E8F1202B.thumb.png.bac1d2a65ff8c3d5cfceb34fc524f027.pngA5086B53-32A1-4CA0-B0A7-0E9C670693E2.thumb.jpeg.f5bbc7f7c1285401782631b8e4bdcc8f.jpeg

Nice panel.  My 172 has a whiskey compass & an iPad.  No IMC with it though.

Oil change interval
Ivylog

Pretty amazing what’s possible today and all things considered, not that expensive. For local flying I sometimes turn it all off.

Connie B
6 hours ago, Monaco04 said:

Thanks for info.  Our transfer switch is working so we are still looking for problem.  

Does your Aladdin feed through a Kenwood flip up monitor?  

Monaco04

No it was hooked up to a Sony screen in the dash which was also the back up camera.

TA Service Diesel oil Change / Chassis Lube
Larry Laursen

I have used Speedco for a number of years.  However, tried today and was told they NO LONGER service RV's. Had issue with one and stopped the service for liability reasons.  I am now looking for another shop in the Phoenix area.

duncan8846@att.net

Creative Coach in Lakeland FL. re built the forward passenger side door with the small fuel door in it. They even removed the fuel door from the old door for the new door. Did excellent work. This was around 10 years ago in my 05 Windsor 

Duncan H

14 Entegra Anthem, Santa Rosa, CA

TA Service Diesel oil Change / Chassis Lube
Dennis H

Speedco is owned by Love's Travel Stores. Perhaps it has to do with them...dunno....Dennis

Broken DS lower fixed window need to replace
Steve Lange

Thanks Tom.

I received a email from Duncan today informing me that they can't help. The window is not made any more and they have no glass to replace. They told me to try a local glass shop so now we going to Mels Glass in Cincinnati to see what they can do. I have appt. on Thursday for their review. Hopefully they can offer a replacement option. Never thought this was going to be so difficult. The windshield was a breeze compared to this side window.

I will post what the outcome is.

2006 Monaco Diplomat
Rick A

Can anybody advise me about the 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel as a tow? 

Broken DS lower fixed window need to replace
Ivylog

I had the large sliding side window’s outer pane shatter in WY last summer and most of it fell out. Worked with Suncoast Design in Hudson, Fl and had them make/temper a replacement to my measurements. Schedule an appointment into Hudson after Christmas on way south and stayed in their RV area. Took 24 hours for them to remove the entire window and seal the new glass to the inner pane. Looks like new.

Went over the scales, now need help with PSI
JDCrow

Hit the scales in the way back from DMV.

Front: 8450

Rear: 18450

Was towing a 6/10 trailer and full Diesel, full fresh, and about 1/4 on Grey and Black. 

I was able to drop the fronts down to 95 PSI based on tire chart. 

My question, how “close” the the weight/PSI should I get? A few hundred pounds over, or quite a bit more? 

F598EB60-63B5-4641-9926-4617E6226B74.jpeg

4E34F400-A190-4707-86C8-7BD5E831A861.jpeg

Looking for an employee? Then you can relate
JDCrow

I feel this guys pain

F6466435-0F3F-40F3-B7BF-94740CC717A4.jpeg

Went over the scales, now need help with PSI
vito.a

For a lot of us the weights vary day to day.  Some gauges are not arcuate and scales will vary.   I add 5psi for a safety factor.  It's better to be over than under.  

2006 Monaco Diplomat
BobSchmeck

No, but I can help if you decide to switch to a jeep wrangler TJ or JK. 

Changing serpentine belt
ncsteve

Getting ready to change out my serpentine belt on rear radiator Knight. Couldn’t find the belt info on any of my books, but did manage to get numbers off the current belt. More of a preventative maintenance so I don’t have to do it on side of road. I have the belt ordered and looking for any tips or tricks to make it go as easy as possible as I know it will not be easy. 
Oh and if anyone has the belt number for the AC compressor, that would be much appreciated as I did not see any numbers on it. 
thanks, Steve

Intellitec Support - CPU and Keypad backups and restores
pwhittle

Thanks for the expressions of interest.

I placed my initial order with Intellitec, so we should be able to get started with the first couple of users soon. I will be looking for user feedback from the first users to improve the instructions for the rest of the users.

More info as I get the Intellitec pieces and can commit to a shipping date to users.

Paul

2006 Monaco Diplomat
Rick A

Thanks. 

New AT&T Data Plan
Scotty Hutto

AT&T recently announced a new prepaid data-only plan targeted at mobile data users. $55/mo for 100GB data. 

Cricket, an AT&T subsidiary, has also dropped their price for 100GB to $55. 

Both will work with a TOGO RoadLink, Winegard ConnecT2.0, as well as many other mobile routers snd hotspots. Cricket is much more restricted on the devices that are compatible. 

more info on AT&T:

https://www.att.com/prepaid/plans/ 

(scroll to bottom of page)

More info on Cricket:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/data-only-plans

Mobile Internet Resource Center article:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-prepaid-great-deal-plan-now-offers-100gb-for-50-month-on-hotspots-tablets/

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.