4 hours ago, Chuck B said:

The reason why Monaco decided to use the clamp they used.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

My intake hose came apart when I tried to remove it, but it just had standard stainless-steel hose clamps, nothing special.  I can't say if the clamps were around the part of the hose with the wire spiral or if the ends of the hose did not have the wire. ???

Edited by MSHappyCampers

Joe, the clamp that was on the air cleaner intake from the factory covered both the wire reinforcement and rubber.

To me I like the idea of using the clamp you referred to above that bridges the wire allowing for a tight seal. I bookmarked it on Amazon for future reference.

Great thread guys... and thank you Richard for reminding me that the the useful life of the patch jobs I've been doing using gaffer tape and zip ties on the flexible hose has been exceeded. Also for the ebay link for the hose and the reminder that Its time for an air filter change. Hose and filter ordered. On my mini Dynasty (34 York) it is real PITB getting changing the filter but my buddy with a Windsor is coming up to Happy Valley for a visit in a few weeks so it should go pretty smooth.

This will give me a chance to inspect the Filter Minder which doesn't seem to want to change indication whether the engine is running or off.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:31 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

1. If all systems are operating properly, the Filter Minder will tell you when to replace your filter.  This is especially good when operating in dusty conditions. 

2.  Most failures in the filter / Filter Minder system are going to cause the Filter Minder to indicate all is well…

- if the filter minder itself is broken and just indicates all is well all the time  

- if there’s a leak in the hose to the filter minder, it won’t generate enough static pressure to move the indicator  

- if the filter glue or filter media is breaking down, or the filter is not seated properly, it generates a lower static pressure, and the Filter Minder will indicate all is well.  THIS is your worst-case scenario, because the air is not being filtered properly, but you think it is. This could result in a dusted engine and $$$$! Repairs. 

I would have thought the filter minder operates on vacuum, not pressure.  If connected to the intake tract post filter then a dirty (clogging) filter would suck that much harder, resulting in higher vacuum. 

And yes, a failure in the filter minder system could be a post filter air leak.  That could be catastrophic.  

Can the filter minder be tested by removing and putting a vacuum on it, then reset by pushing it back? 

I wonder how that movement is regulated.  Maybe it has a one-way ratcheting system . . . . Would love to see the inside of one of those. 

I wonder if an oiled cloth over the filter would extend the filter's life?  It's what we do in off-road motorcycles.   But it would have to be cleaned / re-oiled periodically to keep the filter minder from moving . . . unless it can be reset.

Best,

- bob

Edited by cbr046

Last year

My filter minder blew its top.

All was good with my filter and hoses. 

It's quite a simple interior.

I figured that it was the original. 

So I installed a new one.

Ordered from Amazon. 

It's working fine.

I also installed a fuel minder, same company. 

3 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I would have thought the filter minder operates on vacuum, not pressure.  If connected to the intake tract post filter then a dirty (clogging) filter would suck that much harder, resulting in higher vacuum. 

And yes, a failure in the filter minder system could be a post filter air leak.  That could be catastrophic.  

Can the filter minder be tested by removing and putting a vacuum on it, then reset by pushing it back? 

I wonder how that movement is regulated.  Maybe it has a one-way ratcheting system . . . . Would love to see the inside of one of those. 

I wonder if an oiled cloth over the filter would extend the filter's life?  It's what we do in off-road motorcycles.   But it would have to be cleaned / re-oiled periodically to keep the filter minder from moving . . . unless it can be reset.

Best,

- bob

You are correct sir, it does operate by a vacuum.  Can I redeem myself by saying “negative static pressure”? 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotty Hutto said:

You are correct sir, it does operate by a vacuum.  Can I redeem myself by saying “negative static pressure”? 😂

The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong.  The webmaster is never wrong. 

- b 🙂

• Confused 1