Ageing House Batteries

Mike H

All 8 of my Interstate GC2-HD-UTL house batteries are dated 10/13 and finally getting ready to be replaced.  A couple of the batteries are just 'tickling' the red mark on the hydrometer.  I hear the Duracell AGM Batteries from SAM's Club would be a good replacement for my flooded batteries.  However when I look at the specs for them I get a little confused as the numbers seem to be less than my Interstates.  Am I looking at the correct battery from SAM's Club?

I heard I missed the big sale on them in Dec but when we got back home from The Gathering we had a SAM's Club flier in the mail indicating there will be a $20 off sale starting Feb 26 and ending Mar 22.  Their add however says All Duracell Marine Batteries so I'm not sure yet if the Golf Cart 6V AGM batteries will be included in the sale.

So, the bottom line question is if the $179.73 Golf Cart batteries are the ones I should be getting to replace my Interstate batteries?  Replacement Interstate AGM's are either $340.95 or $432.95 each so even if I have to pay the full price for the Duracells I'll be saving enough to afford to take Chris out to dinner 😉

Old Interstate House Battery.jpg

Annotation 2020-02-18 193529.jpg

Annotation 2020-02-18 193639.jpg

Sams Club Feb 2020.jpg

Sams Club.jpg

These are the minimum specs for the House batteries. If the batteries you are looking meet or exceed these specs you will be fine.

If you are not currently using AGM batteries, note that there is a change in the Inverter/Charger settings that need to be changed for AGM.

House Battery Specs.JPG

• 1 month later...

I have two trays of four. But I don't know the Group Size. Would they be Group 31, 27, 65, or EGC2? Sam's club has AGM group size EGC2 for $124.88 each. It has 75amp hour rate of 120. 

Woody O

Edited by wobrian@myglnc.com
Bad information, I thought it was an AGM, but was a wet cell

Woody, Group 31 would be 12VDC and be your starting batteries. Your house batteries would be GC2 or similar and be 6VDC. The reason for Golf Car Batteries for the house is you don't need CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) for the house, but you do need them to be cycled frequently which is what Golf Cart batteries are designed to do....Dennis

okay, where do you get  golf car AGM  batteries?  The  Sam's club in Rocky Mount, NC as well as Raleigh does not list them.  Batteries Plus carries Magna Power,  but I was looking for Duracells.

Suggestions of where to get them please.

Woody O

1 hour ago, wobrian@myglnc.com said:

okay, where do you get  golf car AGM  batteries?  The  Sam's club in Rocky Mount, NC as well as Raleigh does not list them.  Batteries Plus carries Magna Power,  but I was looking for Duracells.

Suggestions of where to get them please.

Woody O

SAM's Club carries them.  Your particular local one may be out of them but you could order them on line.  Go to the beginning of this thread and you'll see their advertisement.