Norcold 1200

IlliniCathy

7 minutes ago, saflyer said:

Are JC Refrigeration and the “Amish” unit the same thing? As I understand, JC Refrigeration has two cooling unit upgrades. One a straight replacement of the original electric/propane cooling unit with an improved design. The other is a conversion to a 12v cooling unit. That is I the one I am interested in.

Ed

JC Refrigeration is located in the heart of RV country in Shipshewana IN.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

the replacement unit in our norcold was made by Artic Cold.  They are now out of business.  I am not sure when they ceased operations or how old our replacement is.  And while I am not debating on whether or not to put a residential unit in, if we can repair the one we have and it appears that we have, the most economical thing is to keep it.   I was concerned about installing a residential unit in a slide when it appeared that our fridge was dead.  With all of our “fussing” it is now maintaining.36 degrees in fridge on 5 and below zero in Freezer.  So it appears to be resurrected.  We will see when hot weather arrives.  I don’t know what the difference between an Amish unit and JC unit is or if they are the same.  Thanks again all.

The biggest hurdle for RV type fridges is HEAT. The more heat you have the less efficient the fridge becomes. The RV fridge works on the principle of heat transfer. It attempts to remove heat from the food in your freezer and fridge by transferring the heat from the food to the chemical flowing through the tubes at the rear. The chemical reaction first starts at the freezer area on top then on down to the fridge area then on down further until the it reaches the area where the entire process starts over again. So after the heat has been transferred to the chemical inside the tube that heat has to be removed quickly and efficiently at the rear of the fridge. If it can't then the efficiency of the fridge goes down dramatically.

That's why it is VERY important to have the special heat transfer mastic applied correctly when installing the cooling unit to the rear. Plus it is VERY important to have adequate heat removal from the rear to well ventilated areas on the roof. These types of fridges were NOT designed to be put into slides but that didn't stop RV builders form doing it. When in a RV the bottom vent pulls in cool outside air and the roof vent allows the heat to escape. When in a slide the same type of vent is used for both bottom and top which means that the heat has to go out sideways which isn't the most preferred and direct path to take. Depends on how the top vent was constructed and installed.

The attached document describes the operation of the RV fridge with a graphic. Hopefully it will help you understand the challenges faced with using a RV fridge.

How An Absorption Refrigerator Works.doc

Edited by Dr4Film

23 hours ago, saflyer said:

Are JC Refrigeration and the “Amish” unit the same thing? As I understand, JC Refrigeration has two cooling unit upgrades. One a straight replacement of the original electric/propane cooling unit with an improved design. The other is a conversion to a 12v cooling unit. That is I the one I am interested in.

Ed

Turns out the JC Engineering unit and the Amish one are the same, according to JC.