Broken welds and broken rollers

Post # 26 has pictures of the factory gussets installed on a 2008 S Series chassis.

Failed vertical frame 3" X 3" posts 2005 Signature - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums

Posts 47 and 55 show more cracked trailing arms.

Failed vertical frame 3" X 3" posts 2005 Signature - Page 4 - iRV2 Forums

Mocephus, I'm trying to understand on which slide you have issues?

Drivers side front, or passenger side front slide out?

Edited by vito.a

19 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Greg:

This is one of the biggest mistakes when adjusting slides - Adjusting them so the stripes match. If I have seen this advice given once I have seen it given a hundred times on all various forums. Worse yet, many techs still prescribe to this wives tale. Those slides may have ran great and the stripes matched when it was new but over time things settle, floors settle, structures flex and bend. This throws the theory of alignment of a slide according to paint stripes out the window. It is a great way to screw a slide up.

I can tell you that the proper way to do it is by making small adjustments and then watching and listening to the slide. My Tech, Dustin is one of the best slide guys I have ever come across. Watching him adjust a slide will drive you crazy as he is making small adjustments, listening to the load on the motor, checking the amp draw, watching the mechanism operate, checking clearances, measuring and keeps going until he gets it perfect. This is why I am gun shy on handing out advice on how to adjust slides. To make matters worse, many Monaco coaches came with 3 different slide mechanism types and setups.

I am not even going to get into the stupidity of Monaco and how they built their slides and placed their rollers. If you seen some of the slide setups I have seen with roller placements in goofy places that made no sense you would end up doing what I do - shake your head and wonder what Einstein thought of that. The upshot of it all is about money. They did stupid stuff to save a buck.

Moe, if you think you have problems be glad you don't have a schwintek slide. They have gotten very popular on RV's and many manufacturers have gone to them. In reality they are the biggest POS you could ever have for a slide mechanism. I lost track of the amount of money our shop has made repairing them.

There are 2 kinds of schwintek slide owners - 1.) Those who have had problems 2.) Those whom will have problems. Limit switch issues, out of sync motors, jumping gears and the list goes on. This is a great photo of just how much of a headache they are. Guess the limit switches didn't work.

Slide Failure.jpg

THIS is why I love my 1993 Dynasty 0-Slide coach. 😉

10 hours ago, vito.a said:

Post # 26 has pictures of the factory gussets installed on a 2008 S Series chassis.

Failed vertical frame 3" X 3" posts 2005 Signature - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums

Posts 47 and 55 show more cracked trailing arms.

Failed vertical frame 3" X 3" posts 2005 Signature - Page 4 - iRV2 Forums

Mocephus, I'm trying to understand on which slide you have issues?

Drivers side front, or passenger side front slide out?

Passenger side front slide. The left side of that slide is living room couch, the right side (the one with the broken rollers) is the kitchen. 

19 hours ago, rpasetto said:

@Mocephus  Thanks for the pictures.  I'm going under the coach at first opportunity and takin a look at mine.  I will try get gussets installed here, as I suspect they're not on my coach either.  Otherwise may need to go to Josams too.   If anyone with a newer Sig (06? 07?) has them (gussets, that is)  a picture will be appreciated.

19 hours ago, rpasetto said:

@Mocephus  Thanks for the pictures.  I'm going under the coach at first opportunity and takin a look at mine.  I will try get gussets installed here, as I suspect they're not on my coach either.  Otherwise may need to go to Josams too.   If anyone with a newer Sig (06? 07?) has them (gussets, that is)  a picture will be appreciated.

Has anyone asked Josams for pictures of the repairs they have done on this type of situation? Seems like a good CYA for product liability accountability. 

2 hours ago, Mocephus said:

Passenger side front slide. The left side of that slide is living room couch, the right side (the one with the broken rollers) is the kitchen. 

Has anyone asked Josams for pictures of the repairs they have done on this type of situation? Seems like a good CYA for product liability accountability. 

4 minutes ago, rpasetto said:

@Paul A. @Mocephus

An excellent idea, Paul.  This way you'll know what they'll do in advance.

Gets rid of the lip slapping and ego's.  And there is no reason Josams cannot provide a sketch of what they are going to do and with what materials. It should be part of the final invoice for the work done.

8 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Gets rid of the lip slapping and ego's.  And there is no reason Josams cannot provide a sketch of what they are going to do and with what materials. It should be part of the final invoice for the work done.

JoSams has no obligation to devulge

Previous customers Custom work.

They certainly don't need to.

Go elsewhere if that suites you better. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Barry will most likely not accommodate that request as they are way too busy with multiple customers some of which I have seen there such as emergency vehicles, OTR trucks, buses, Prevost coaches, motorcoaches, RV's, delivery trucks, garbage haulers just to name a few.

Whenever I call for any service or repairs just to get an appointment is generally 2-3 weeks out. They are so busy that they really don't need any picky customers. Besides, if you were to talk with Barry on the phone I would bet that he would tell you that he needs to see the coach, get underneath it to evaluate it before giving any kind of repair estimate and steps to remedy the problem.

They have a chassis Shaker Pit which allows them to see the entire underside of the chassis. The beauty of the Shaker Pit is that it allows them to see where all of the weak places are and any components that may have some looseness to it. That's how they found my loose drag link joints, leaking Koni shocks and found the small cracks in my passenger side rear chassis that needed welding. I returned for a followup appointment to have the new Henderson built drag link installed, three new Koni shocks installed under warranty and welding done on my chassis.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Haggard said:

JoSams has no obligation to devulge

Previous customers Custom work.

They certainly don't need to.

Go elsewhere if that suites you better. 

I am not in need of their service. I also do not know their current protocol or policy on that type of work.. Like you, i just expressed my opinion, as we all do .  

Edited by Paul A.
  • Like 1

I discovered cracks in both vertical uprights on my 05 Exec. This is a common problem on all the RR10R Road Master Chassis's built in Coburg from 2004 thru 2006. Monaco did not install a vertical support brace on the rear of the vertical support and large enough Gussets to keep the drive axle from flexing the vertical supports that the trailing arms are connected to.

I took the coach to JOSAM's for the repairs. Because I caught the problem early and the uprights were only cracked the repair only took one day. JOSAM's has been doing this repair for several years  and has all the parts to do the repair already fabricated and in stock.

There are pictures posted on this forum of the before and after pictures of the repair that was done on my Exec. There has been a lot of discussion on this group and on IRV2 for several years about this issue, If you own a 2004-2006 Dynasty, Executive, Signature or Navigator, you should inspect the drive axle uprights that the trailing arms are connected to and verify whether you have the gussets installed or not. If you do not you make an appointment to have them installed.

JOSAM's has the knowledge, parts and expertise and does and excellent job doing this repair.

Research the forum for the picture I posted of JOSAM'S repair work. As a last resort I may still have them that I can re-post, not sure since I sold my Exec three years ago and may have not kept them after I posted them to the Forum.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Pratt said:

I discovered cracks in both vertical uprights on my 05 Exec. This is a common problem on all the RR10R Road Master Chassis's built in Coburg from 2004 thru 2006. Monaco did not install a vertical support brace on the rear of the vertical support and large enough Gussets to keep the drive axle from flexing the vertical supports that the trailing arms are connected to.

I took the coach to JOSAM's for the repairs. Because I caught the problem early and the uprights were only cracked the repair only took one day. JOSAM's has been doing this repair for several years  and has all the parts to do the repair already fabricated and in stock.

There are pictures posted on this forum of the before and after pictures of the repair that was done on my Exec. There has been a lot of discussion on this group and on IRV2 for several years about this issue, If you own a 2004-2006 Dynasty, Executive, Signature or Navigator, you should inspect the drive axle uprights that the trailing arms are connected to and verify whether you have the gussets installed or not. If you do not you make an appointment to have them installed.

JOSAM's has the knowledge, parts and expertise and does and excellent job doing this repair.

Research the forum for the picture I posted of JOSAM'S repair work. As a last resort I may still have them that I can re-post, not sure since I sold my Exec three years ago and may have not kept them after I posted them to the Forum.

Thank you David, I’m feeling better each day with the decision to take it to Josam!

When you do go to JOSAM's for the repairs remind Barry that you want them to check the front and rear wheel alignment on the coach when they have completed the repairs.

1 minute ago, David Pratt said:

When you do go to JOSAM's for the repairs remind Barry that you want them to check the front and rear wheel alignment on the coach when they have completed the repairs.

Yes, I had planned to. While they’re under there I’ll also probably have them lube the chassis if they don’t charge too much and check for anything else that may need servicing (bushings, shocks, air leaks, etc.)

I had the same chassis problem on my 03 Signature. I was dragging one of the arms after the vertical section broke off and was dragging on the road sending a trail of sparks out the back of the coach. Upon inspection, the other side was almost broken off as well, we were very lucky it wasn't a major disaster. Fortunately I had a couple of ratchet straps in my truck so was able to pull the arm up off the road and limp into a campground I had just left. As usual for a travel glitch, it was a Sunday. The Vertical members are 3 x 3 x 3/8 Square Tubing. I had Standons in Calgary Alberta machine 2 pieces of solid square steel 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" by 12" long. (I was a welder in a former life) They cut a couple of holes in the upper and lower part of the broken members, chamfered around where the welds broke, inserted the solid square, plug welded around the holes to the solid square and then around the chamfered broken welds and added gussets as well. They did an excellent job at a reasonable cost.  

DSCN7733.JPG

DSCN7741.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, according to the motorist who flagged us down, it looked like a 4th of July celebration under our coach.

Sounds like you ended up with a great fix!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Josam has completed the repairs. What a great experience there with Barry and his team! Coach-Net was awesome as well!

Now I’m at Lazydays in Wildwood for the slide repair!

8BAA88E0-4302-4D12-98B9-4647195D27DB.jpeg

1D612DB9-A6EB-4A70-8C24-80B0F58C0D3A.jpeg

125B11D6-D7EF-4FEA-ABF7-86BF3B88CA09.jpeg

CC01052F-B885-4743-9F92-C70A7F9E631C.jpeg

90E516FE-5ED8-43B9-8B23-DB1451A1070D.jpeg

A6802CF3-EBAA-4C8F-B178-ECCD5293E868.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Awesome! I have always found it hard NOT to have a great experience there. Although there was one member who had tires worked on at Josam's who unfortunately had a new service technician that didn't know what he was doing. Most likely he is no longer working there or has had some one-on-one training as to how things are done correctly. AFAIK, that situation was certainly an exception and not the norm.

I have been a Coach-Net member since May 2010 and have ALWAYS had great experience with all of my service calls especially when traveling to Alaska and back during our three trips up there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Haggard said:

Great picture's 

Thanks for sharing 👍😊

Thank you John!

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Awesome! I have always found it hard NOT to have a great experience there. Although there was one member who had tires worked on at Josam's who unfortunately had a new service technician that didn't know what he was doing. Most likely he is no longer working there or has had some one-on-one training as to how things are done correctly. AFAIK, that situation was certainly an exception and not the norm.

I have been a Coach-Net member since May 2010 and have ALWAYS had great experience with all of my service calls especially when traveling to Alaska and back during our three trips up there.

That’s good to know about Coach-Net...I’m hoping I never have to call them again!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I found this topic about the vertical uprights cracking and went under my Dynasty being since it was made in 2005 and in that range of not having the gussets. If I’m not mistaken it looks like it has them on the backside of each upright. I don’t think this was added it looks original. Am I correct in this?

47705BFD-D114-4934-8A24-C4C4529412AC.jpeg

59372E22-9D64-4426-B41F-2F42B8D1F5BB.jpeg

A1725358-37F4-4CF6-A4F7-E00CBF537348.jpeg

2843935F-26AC-4AC2-909F-C122878E4A72.jpeg