Monacoers Gathering Poll

Monacoers Gathering Poll  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Did you attend this year's Gathering at Lazydays in Tampa?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If not, why not?

• Work / Personal conflict with dates
    • Too far from me
    • Topics / Subjects didn't interest me
    • Too expensive
    • NA - I attended.
  3. 3. What would increase your interest in attending?

• More topics
    • New topics
    • Spouse activities
    • Different location

This poll is closed to new votes

We attended the event last year and also attended the Ramblin Pushers Maintenance Session. The topics of discussion for this years event seemed nearly identical to last year which is why I elected not to attend. I will perhaps re-evaluate each year as the topics are revised. I will say that the year (2019) that we did attend that I learned a lot and felt it to be helpful. Thanks for all you do to keep us informed.

I didn't officially register and "attend" because we were already at another campground for 2+ months just a few miles away.  I was able to make some of the sessions (thanks for making that available without charge). Some of the topics were a bit off for me.....like Cummins engines which primarily focused on  newer engines, which doesn't help me with my older, pre-emissions ISC.  But on the other hand, Chris Throgmartin's stuff is always timeless and great refresher even if you've seen it before. 

Doing another location would be great (Midwest in the summer?), but I think Dave does a great job setting this up (kudos!!) and I'm not sure I want to take on the task myself of doing it elsewhere.  I liked Denny Wagaman's  suggestions for different topics. 

The subject of selecting a different area and date for the Gathering has been discussed numerous times on the Forum. Several members have tried to generate interest in other areas of the country and the participation was small and they turned out to be mostly Social Events with no Technical Agenda.

I would welcome anyone who has the expertise, fortitude and time to research a different place to hold the Gathering to run with it. Anyone that has researched an area to find a Campground that has the available sites, and the Amenities that compare to what Lazydays provides for Groups that want to have a rally will find they difficult to find. Not to say that there not some out there.

Whoever takes this on will come quick to learn how much work and time it takes to find a location, negotiate a contract with a Campground, Caterers, put an Agenda together and contact the different Vendors and Presenters to come and speak before our group.

Bill D, Fred W, Rex Darley and Myself put the first Gathering in 2011 together. Even with the four of us working together and coordinating, scheduling and negotiating it still was a lot of work. After Rex and Bill passed on it was left up to Fred and I to continue the Gatherings. Fred and I did get some help from a couple of members that did help to spread the word and try to get more Participation out of the Group.

When Fred passed away in 2017 we were in the middle of negotiating a contract with Lazydays and it was left up to me whether or not to continue with putting on the event or cancelling it. I went ahead anyway and finished what Fred had started and we had our 2017 Bill D’s Gathering.

I have put together the 2018, 2019 and the 2020 Gatherings almost by myself. It takes a lot of work and time to do all the ground work to keep track and on top of it to have a successful Gathering or you could be looking at a lot of surprises you do not expect.

It appears that the Majority Consensus of the Poll Results is to have the Gathering move to another part of the country and a different venue/agenda.

I am going to put on hold any further negotiations with Lazydays for a contract to secure any sites or catering for the 2021 Gathering.

I will support anyone who wants to find a different location for the Gathering and can put it together.

Good luck on the Endeavor!!!

• Thanks 1

David

I for one apologize for contributing to the discussion of another location. I have never need to a Monacoers rally and I am new to this forum. It isn’t that I would not attend the Lazydays rally, it’s just that I am unable to attend Winter rally’s. I have hosted much smaller rallies so I do have an idea of how much work it takes but it pales in comparison to the rallies you another the others have done. My mention of another location was only to suggest an additional Summer season event. I am sorry if my comments added to your dismay and frustration. It certainly was not my intent. Despite never having attended one of your gatherings, I respect and thank you for all of the tireless, and many times thankless work. 

with appreciation and respect,

Edited by Chargerman
  • Like 1

I know how hard it has been for Dav e to put on these Gatherings since the passing of Bill & Fred. He has been left with the task of handling this event on his own.

Scotty and I have helped him  the last 2 years but our contribution has been small compared to the work load Dave has. I attend many rally's every year put on by numerous associations and group/owner organizations. They require a great deal of work and along with the planning and organizing  comes the task of getting the word out so the participation and attendance leads to success. I can remember one member tried doing a west/central Gathering and instead of the 50 - 100 coaches he thought would come only 14 signed up. Also finding a venue can be difficult. Not only do you need 50 - 60 spaces but the campground has to have a nice facility to hold dinners and seminars in. They also have to have all of the audio/visual equipment. The building also needs to be 100 % dedicated to the rally for the days we are there. In other words it cannot be used for any other purpose during the day or night. Many campgrounds wont do that.

In regards to seminar topics I believe changing things up helps as long as the seminars are interesting and helpful to the coach owners. I routinely conduct up to 9 different seminars every year on different subjects. Some are  Monaco/HR brand specific while others are not. I conduct seminars at Newmar, Tiffin and FMCA events and cover topics that are either brand specific or generic.  I always research the makeup of the coach model years that will be in attendance  2 days prior to the rally so my seminars are more specific for the age group of the coaches. I am sure the Cummins Rep could have changed his if he knew there were very few newer model year coaches in attendance.

Overall I like the gathering. It is small which makes it more intimate,  you get to know everyone and as a matter of fact I have made some life long friends by attending the gathering. I am sure with the feedback here Dave will go back, make some changes and make the 2021 Gathering even better. My hats off to Dave for offering this event to us members every year. It is a time consuming affair with a lot of different pieces iof the puzzle that all has to come together at once.

• Like 3

David....and all.....I literally stumbled into this group in February 2015 when I just "happened" to be staying at Lazy Days and someone walking the RV park asked me if I was there for the Monacoers Gathering. Heck.....I had no clue!! But that person invited me to stop in and check it out, and I'm grateful for the knowledge I've since gained and the resource of having this group.....and, among others, I got to meet Chris Throgmartin, for which I'm very thankful (of course, he took some of my money...🤑..., but I'm absolutely certain he saved me some major, major headache and expense in the future). 

With that said, I hope you (Dave) won't give up on this gathering because my hunch is that the rest of us will be "all talk and no show" when it comes to doing it elsewhere.  I wish I lived closer and was more knowledgeable to be able to help you with putting it together.  Thanks for all you do!