Slide seal replacement help

So, the water has to get high enough to get over one of those ridges?

I just today replaced some of that tar paper, with Eternabond, but, your building a shallow swimming pool up there!

Water has to go somewhere!

Edited by 96 EVO

Agreed, the water has to go somewhere.  I believe this is part of the reason for my leak.  I had a hole a little bigger develop in this roof in an area that water pooled.  You could consider angling your MH for water to runoff better?  My wiper seal did not touch the roof allowing more water in. A longer wiper seal has made it tight.  I havent been in rain since the change, but am optimistic this is going to work better.  

10 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

So, the water has to get high enough to get over one of those ridges?

I just today replaced some of that tar paper, with Eternabond, but, your building a shallow swimming pool up there!

Water has to go somewhere!

I’ve never owned a coach that during a rain storm and bringing in a slide that the wiper removes all of the water from the slide roof. There is always some water that ends up in the coach unless you go outside with a squeegee and mop to remove as much as u can of the water before bringing in the slide. This is my third coach and all the same. If you park with Front or rear slightly down, most will run off.

Just part of coach life.

Edited by Gary M

Seems they could have put a little more thought into building these slide roofs. Like, a little peak in the middle, sloping towards each end, and the roof material going all the way to the front and rear edge, and curling over the end walls.

Or cut and install a sheet of lightweight plastic sheet on top to raise it flush with the corners before sealing it up so the wiper can work better in those areas. Should not be that hard. Maybe I'll do that when I have to work on the topper or seals in the hopefully distant future...

It's all on how you retract your slides. I've never had water get inside. (Probably just jinxed myself) but I have slide toppers too. Anyway, when you're ready to leave and doing your pre-departure check, pull each slide in about a foot and stop. The slides tilt to get over the inside rollers of the coach so they are tilted downward.  90% of any water on top of the slide will run off. All the wiper is supposed to do is wick off the small amount of residue water left. Once you complete your pre-flight, go ahead and pull them in the rest of the way and off you go.....Dennis

• Thanks 1

Anyone know any tricks to get that tar paper to pull away from the slide roof, in one piece?

I only had a small section to remove. I used a heat gun on it, and some lifted cleanly with the backing paper, other parts separated, leaving gooey tar to scrape off!

I may have used a bit too much heat.

8 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Anyone know any tricks to get that tar paper to pull away from the slide roof, in one piece?

I only had a small section to remove. I used a heat gun on it, and some lifted cleanly with the backing paper, other parts separated, leaving gooey tar to scrape off!

I may have used a bit too much heat.

I used mineral spirits to get black tar cleaned up then denatured alcohol after that . Mine came off with just a putty knife in one piece and 95 degree weather.

006A6971-31FC-442A-9FE2-87B7D372F818.jpeg

2552E576-2E6C-4319-AD82-D2B88E997F65.jpeg

7D90C852-C91E-4D49-B137-A18FDF4CE6E7.jpeg

Edited by Gary M

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Good advice from Dennis and Gary!

Removed a strip yesterday in about 85* weather. The majority of the tar lifted with the backing, as long as I pealed it slowly.

What did remain, was easy to remove with WD40!

Good job!!!’