Shock Stud Broken 2001 Monaco Signature

Guys

I was doings some inspection on my 2001 Monaco Signature and found the Passenger side upper shock mount stud broken off.  I have a few questions.

1) Are these a welded on stud, threaded through the plate or a bolt from the back side. 

2) Has anyone else had this happen and if so how did you repair it.

Thanks

Mike

IMG_0432.thumb.jpg.f7ecb7074f58d5cd24e4719b0f35cbde.jpg

Yes, I had a shock stud break off on our Signature.  I think the rubber shock bushing came out and then the shock hammered on the stud until it broke.   Mine was on the drivers side rear drive axle.  They are studs welded to a steel plate.  

Post #1 has a picture: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/broken-upper-shock-mounting-stud-drivers-side-rear-drive-axle-373734.html

I drilled a hole through the steel plate and used a hardened bolt through the plate to remount the shock.  It was tough getting up into such a tight area.  Using a right angle drill I drilled a small hole with a short cobalt bit and then enlarged the hole with a carbide cutter on an air grinder.    

See post # 17;  https://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/broken-upper-shock-mounting-stud-drivers-side-rear-drive-axle-373734-2.html

The new Bilstein shocks come with a steel insert inside the rubber bushing.  This helps prevent this failure.  

Yes, happened on our 03 Windsor (driver's side in front of the rear wheel).  Had it fixed at Colton Truck Terminal east of Los Angeles; they welded on a plate with a new stud, and had a tough time getting good access but they got it done.  So far so good.