Steering

Those are two completely different suspension components that accomplish different tasks.

Watts Link improves the ability of the front suspension to drive the coach as if it were on a set of railroad tracks eliminating any wandering, swaying, drifting and pushing by big rig truckers who are passing you.

The Safety Plus is a large shock type cylinder which claims to correct the same conditions that the Watt Link does but don't count on it. I would trust the Watts Link 1000 times over the Safety Plus. The only advantage of the Safety Plus is if you couple it with the Henderson Trim Kit. Then that combination allows you to trim out road crown conditions and constant cross winds hitting the side of the coach. It reduces the need to apply extra pressure on one side of the steering wheel or the other to keep the coach driving straight.

13 hours ago, bobbyd557 said:

Hello, looking at two different items, Watts Linkage or Safe T Plus , is one better than the other? Any why?

Thanks

Definitely the Watts link for 8 and 10 air bag coaches. The 4 air bag coaches do not have the same chassis design and cannot use the Watts link kit.

581CB887-182D-4A43-B41A-3C5D2BF7326D.thumb.png.e413f38ef3de66e9a74db9b2c74906aa.pngThe 08 Navigator we bought 2 years ago had a Safe T+ on it.  After 4K miles I unhooked one end as it made driving noticeably tiring compared to the 85K miles on the same RR10S chassis (04 Dynasty). Under perfect conditions (no cross wind) it probably helped but the extra force when having to hold the steering wheel off center was was a pain in the shoulders... I still do 750+ mile days.

Decided to make an adjustable mount for it once I found a $54 linear activator. 
DIY here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/making-a-safe-t-plus-adjustable-451209.html

Edited by Ivylog

Two years ago at the HR 419 Maintenance Rally, I installed the Watts link on my Monaco Knight. It all but eliminated the body roll going into tight corners and made crosswinds easier to handle. I still have the Shepard steering box, but it is still pretty tight and the coach handles well. Well worth it.

Bob K

06 Monaco Knight 40PLQ

Edited by cbtman2

13 hours ago, bobbyd557 said:

Thanks for all the responses, I ordered the Watts today.

Appreciate all the comments and advise.

As Doug Hoegh has pointed out your next upgrade should be the steering sector if you have a Sheppard. If you have the TRW then it may need to be adjusted. The Sheppard cannot be adjusted and that is the problem with it. It is a very strong steering sector but basically designed for off road dump tucks. It can have one and half inches of dead motion and the manufacturer will tell you that is normal. Might be normal if you are down in a rock quarry but driving a class A on the interstate at 65 MPH with the steer wheels behind you it is anything but normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim McGarvie said:

So how does one determine which steering box one has? Is it obvious looking at it?

Thanks.

Jim  Search this site for another post from Bobbyd557 called steering with only 3 replies.  Bob Nodine included a group of photos that will help you determine which steer box you have.  

Edited by Doug Hoegh

• 3 weeks later...

When we bought our 2002 Windsor back in 2012 I immediately installed the SteerSafe steering stabilizers to provide additional control in case of a front tire blowout.  The coach is very stable in high crosswinds!  🙂

Joe