Which TPMS do you use and like/dislike and why?

12 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Steven, you master control looks different than the one pictured by Al. Big difference in that yours has control buttons placed on each side of the front with TST on the front top and their web site address along the front bottom. Plus Ed has the colored version.

Mine is the same as Steve’s but color. You can’t see the buttons because of the screen shade.

Ed

A little more history of the design failures of the TST product.

In 2020, Jim (of TST) publicly stated TST made a design change in 2015 that would break the existing systems.  Potential future failures unbeknownst to me, in the spring of 2016 I researched systems and after talking with Mike B (also of TST) made what I thought at the time was a good choice and go with the TST-507 and not wait for the color monitor as color can be hard for me read.  No clue from TST the system I was purchasing AFTER the internal design change was going to have a design issue.  A design change was never ever mentioned!  The system worked very well for a while, then I noticed a couple instances of these seemingly random high pressure alarms on the way back from the boonies of Newfoundland in 2018.  Figuring batteries were going out I replaced them.  But traveling season was basically over and the rare failures dropped from my radar as the coach was parked. In 2019, my system worked up in the boonies of Alaska but upon returning to the lower 48 I started getting false alarm failures more often.  Again no clue that TST had broken my system.  If the antenna had broken off, or display went black I would assume just normal use wear and tear failure and oh well things happen.  I did have one flow thru sensor case crack and develop a slow leak, but I wrote that off as things happen and just bought a new one.  But to find out TST KNOWS and acknowledges they broke my system is another thing, and they make no reasonable attempt to make it right is just not right.  With them ignoring their problem I have to wonder if indeed it was planned systemic obsolescence.  Given what Jim says is only a few affected units, I'm sure their cost to ship a unit correcting the design issue is less than the time Jim wastes reading this, or hearing feedback from seminars/rallies/campfire chats where this problem is and has been easily demonstrated and discussed.  Instead they want their customers to buy a fix that isn't the customer's fault.  When my system works, it functions great and I will readily say so.  When it gives false high pressure alarms it is not so great.  In the past I have dealt with many other companies that do the right thing.  So far it appears TST's corporate culture is different.

I am glad for all of you that have functional (at least for now) TST-507 systems.

Al,

Please don't paraphrase what I said or Mike B said. I said a firmware change was made by the factory and some older TST displays were effected. As we sell more new systems (therefore keeping us in business), the issue can be more pronounced. Most of the people that have this issue recognize that they have gotten a good amount of use out of their system and are willing to update to newer technology at a reasonable price. They purchase a new color or grayscale display which has more innovations than your system.

The term "Broke the System" was never used by us! That is your term. In your case, to correct the high pressure readings when you are around a newer system, you will have to update your display. You were told that. Technology marches on in most products and we are no different. I am sorry you are disappointed with your system, but there is a fix for it. I know you want a new display and we did offer that to customers 2-3 years ago for a short time when we were made aware of the intermittent issue. We always try to be aware of the customers needs. If you had called us back then and discussed the issue you were having, we could have helped you. You did not. Now you are on this forum, seemingly trying to turn people against the TST system. In my book that is not a nice thing to do, and yet you still use our system because it is very good! I will not continue to go back and forth on this issue. We both have stated our case. This is my last post on the subject.

JimG
206 Camelot

• Like 1

Jim,

"I know you want a new display and we did offer that to customers 2-3 years ago for a short time when we were made aware of the intermittent issue."

Makes my point exactly that we are left out to dry (my phrasing) when we finally find the problem, especially when we buy a system in good faith AFTER TST made the (to use your exact words) "firmware update".  By the time there are enough systems out there so the "firmware update" becomes noticable to existing systems that "do not know how to interpret" them, TST decides "no longer giving" the solution is appropriate.  Per your request, when demontrating and discussing, I'll use your exact cut 'n paste words of "will read those high PSI numbers if the coach gets close to a unit that has one of our newer systems" and "do not know how to interpret the updated signals when they receive them.  They then display 200-600+ PSI.".  Given the easily demonstratable facts, people can decide for themselves if it broke the system.

As you stated, we both have our positions and will continue to stand by them.  I will also agree to make this my last post on this thread.  As you have gotten many good years out of your '06 Camelot by now, when are you going to "update" to a 2022 or newer coach and take advantage of the newer DEF and DPF technology?

• 8 months later...
On 6/20/2021 at 1:38 PM, Sharon L. said:

We are in the market for our first system, have a tag axle and want to also install sensors on our toad, a Buick Envision.  Would love to hear about your experiences with your systems.  Much appreciated.  

I have the TST system, also. I like it but have two gripes. They couldn’t have picked worse colors for the screen, blue on black. I practically have to stop driving so I can get a close look to read the numbers. Also, the setup for different combinations of vehicle is very inflexible. Other than that it works good.

Ed        
‘05 HR Ambassador 

Edited by saflyer

Ed...Sounds like you have an earlier version of the color display. We listened to folks like you and more recently, we changed the colors on the screen for the read-out. The set-up has also changed some. You can now add four trailers and set up the alarms for each trailer separately. We do make improvements from the feedback our customers give us!!

JimG
2006 Camelot

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ncjimgr said:

Ed...Sounds like you have an earlier version of the color display. We listened to folks like you and more recently, we changed the colors on the screen for the read-out. The set-up has also changed some. You can now add four trailers and set up the alarms for each trailer separately. We do make improvements from the feedback our customers give us!!

JimG
2006 Camelot

Have you made it so the display can show lone or combos of vehicles? Motorhome pulling toad, motorhome solo, toad solo, toad pulling utility trailer, toad pulling boat trailer., motorhome pulling boat trailer, motorhome pulling utility trailer? 

Ed,

You can have all the combinations you suggested. If you have more than one trailer coded in with sensors on each trailer, whatever trailer you are towing will stay on the screen and the other trailers will become invisible after driving the first trailer away from them and 15-20 minutes pass. With your display, you can remove the motorhome from the screen by pushing and releasing the GO and (+) buttons at the same time. Press the same two buttons to bring the tire icons back. To manually remove the trailer tires, push and release the GO and (-) button at the same time. push the same two buttons to bring the trailer icons back. All this is stated in the manual...

JimG
2006 Camelot
TST Rep

On 6/30/2021 at 5:17 PM, amphi_sc said:

A little more history of the design failures of the TST product.

In 2020, Jim (of TST) publicly stated TST made a design change in 2015 that would break the existing systems.  Potential future failures unbeknownst to me, in the spring of 2016 I researched systems and after talking with Mike B (also of TST) made what I thought at the time was a good choice and go with the TST-507 and not wait for the color monitor as color can be hard for me read.  No clue from TST the system I was purchasing AFTER the internal design change was going to have a design issue.  A design change was never ever mentioned!  The system worked very well for a while, then I noticed a couple instances of these seemingly random high pressure alarms on the way back from the boonies of Newfoundland in 2018.  Figuring batteries were going out I replaced them.  But traveling season was basically over and the rare failures dropped from my radar as the coach was parked. In 2019, my system worked up in the boonies of Alaska but upon returning to the lower 48 I started getting false alarm failures more often.  Again no clue that TST had broken my system.  If the antenna had broken off, or display went black I would assume just normal use wear and tear failure and oh well things happen.  I did have one flow thru sensor case crack and develop a slow leak, but I wrote that off as things happen and just bought a new one.  But to find out TST KNOWS and acknowledges they broke my system is another thing, and they make no reasonable attempt to make it right is just not right.  With them ignoring their problem I have to wonder if indeed it was planned systemic obsolescence.  Given what Jim says is only a few affected units, I'm sure their cost to ship a unit correcting the design issue is less than the time Jim wastes reading this, or hearing feedback from seminars/rallies/campfire chats where this problem is and has been easily demonstrated and discussed.  Instead they want their customers to buy a fix that isn't the customer's fault.  When my system works, it functions great and I will readily say so.  When it gives false high pressure alarms it is not so great.  In the past I have dealt with many other companies that do the right thing.  So far it appears TST's corporate culture is different.

I am glad for all of you that have functional (at least for now) TST-507 systems.

Had same problem, explained it in an email to TST, they air freighted new display to me within days, NO CHARGE, problem solved. Been a customer for over 12 years, have flow through with repeater on coach, non flow through on trailer, had couple of sensors leak after battery replacement, likely my fault, system has saved me major problems several times, detecting and warning of punctures, leaking valve stems and even hot bearing on trailer. Great customer service and great system 

On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, willbo777 said:

Al, the TST system can be programmed very easily for high and low pressure readings.  Just reprogram it and the high pressure alarms will go away.  Before we leave in the morning I turn on the system and in less than 5 minutes all readings of pressure are available on the monitor, including the toad.

Same here 

6 hours ago, moxy1962 said:

Had same problem, explained it in an email to TST, they air freighted new display to me within days, NO CHARGE, problem solved. Been a customer for over 12 years, have flow through with repeater on coach, non flow through on trailer, had couple of sensors leak after battery replacement, likely my fault, system has saved me major problems several times, detecting and warning of punctures, leaking valve stems and even hot bearing on trailer. Great customer service and great system 

Same here 

Since it has come up again, been round and round with TST on this with the well known TST reps that post on this forum who requested not to be mentioned by name. They (TST officials) would not stand behind the product and send equipment that functions, instead insisting that I must BUY a new display at a "discounted" price from them that was actually a HIGHER PRICE than one could purchase new from other online sources cheaper.  At one time they might have sent functioning equipment, but as I got a little over two years of a usually "working" product before having the well known rep explain to me the design change that causes the failures, they wouldn't support the product as it was "time to buy an upgrade" in their eyes. You got lucky if you got support from TST.

FWIW, YMMV, just my actual experience and facts

Al

Edited by amphi_sc

4 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

Been round and round with TST on this with the well known TST reps that post on this forum who requested not to be mentioned by name. They (TST officials) would not stand behind the product and send equipment that functions, instead insisting that I must BUY a new display at a "discounted" price from them that was actually a HIGHER PRICE than one could purchase new from other online sources cheaper.  At one time they might have sent functioning equipment, but as I got a little over two years of a usually "working" product before having the well known rep explain to me the design change that causes the failures, they wouldn't support the product as it was "time to buy an upgrade" in their eyes. You got lucky if you got support from TST.

FWIW, YMMV, just my actual experience and facts

Al

As stated, been with TST for at least 12 years, they have replaced defective sensors, they exchanged flow through for capped sensors when I expressed concern about how far flow through stuck out past rim on car hauler, sent o rings when I encountered leaks after replacing batteries and replaced all caps on flow through when they were bending after replacing batteries,  so fwiw they have been a stand up company and as far as I’m concerned do put safety first, and most importantly I have confidence in the tpms and thats more important than anything because it works 

• Like 1

Have been using this TST 507 flow through for about two years and 6 years before that with the old one. They were always very responsive to any questions or problems. It has worked well and is entirely satisfactory for me, I would buy it again without hesitation.

karl 98 Sig

On 6/23/2021 at 9:24 AM, Dr4Film said:

I hope that the lithium battery and charger that I use for my motorcycle does not fall into the same category as the small ones used in the TPMS master monitors.

I have a Antigravity ATX20 RE-START Lithium Battery in my motorcycle that has a Lithium Charger connected to the battery full-time during the 5-6 summer months we are away up north. The battery charger I use is made by Optimate.

Here is the link to my Re-Start Battery - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VWGY2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the link to my Optimate Lithium Battery Charger - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38X7WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve read  you should do long term storage of LiFePO4 lithium batteries, the norm for RV use, at 50-60% state of charge, SOC. I don’t know about other lithium chemistries. Other writers state different SOC numbers for storing but they all say 100% is not good. What I’ve found is getting them to 50-60% SOC before disconnecting from charger is difficult. After putting a load on them and disconnecting the charger I get busy and forget to check periodically. Next I know their down to 20% or less. Then have to start the process all over again. Then there is the issue of not getting an accurate voltage while there is a load on the batteries. This might not really be a problem if the battery management kit gives accurate SOC. Am I correct on this?

2 hours ago, cbr046 said:

I'm believe the lithium specific maintainers are good for long term storage. 

- bob

Do you know any brands and models that are lithium specific?

I've had an OptiMATE Lithium 4s 0.8A for my lithium motorcycle battery for 4 years now.  I don't use it much as the bike rarely sits for long, but it's worked flawless every time.  It won't work on lead acid.  Amazon gives it excellent reviews.

I bought a NOCO GENIUS2, 2 to replace the Schumacher that turned into a forever charger (stopped going into maintainer mode) to keep my mower lead acid battery charged.  The Schumacher might have been 20 yrs old.  The NOCO is supposed to work with lead acid and lithium but I'm not confident it's a good lithium maintainer. 

- bob

I hate to add to this thread, but since Dr4Film found that the new Pressure Pro Pulse does have sufficient range to cover a connected Toad, let alone a tag without additional measures, I decided to jump in. 

I have used the legacy Pressure Pro system now for more than 12 years, and am nearing end of battery life on my second set of legacy sensors.  Last fall I purchased a TST507 system (12 sensors) with their repeater.  Worked great in the driveway, but the first time out on the highway it started dropping sensors.  I had the repeater initially mounted in the wet bay, just in front of the drive axle, drivers side.  I pulled into a rest are off I-26, contacted TST, and they suggested I try moving the repeater to the battery compartment, which is behind the tag on the passenger side.  Did that.  No help, then called TST again at the next rest area on I-40.  Called TST and they suggested I try moving the display as far away from the drivers dash area as possible as there could be some electronic interference near the driver side dash.  I relocated the display to the far right hand side of the dash.  Back on the road, no improvement.  Called TST again, they didn't know what else to do. 

That evening I decided I couldn't risk another day on the road with a TPMS that wasn't reliable.  I reinstalled my legacy Pressure Pro system, and since I had purchased the TST507 from Amazon (Techno_RV), that next morning I stopped at the nearest post office and it went back to Amazon, and I did immediately receive a full refund. 

I was then about to purchase the new Pressure Pro Pulse system, but called and asked some hard questions.  PP immediately advised that they would NOT advise that I try to use the Pulse system without using the extended coax/dipole antenna, installing it under the coach behind the tag axle.  I asked about using the legacy PP repeater that I already had installed, and they advised that the Pulse TPMS, though it used the same frequency, the Pulse encoding would not properly repeat with the legacy repeater, and at that time (December, 2021) they did NOT have a repeater available for sale.  They did advise that they were working on a new repeater design, and hoped to have it available first quarter, 2022.  I checked back with PP this past week, and they advised that they now have in hand the first production repeaters, but are extensively testing them before releasing them for sale, assuming no issues are uncovered during the testing.  So I continue to wait, extremely hesitant to purchase 12 replacement legacy PP sensors. 

• Thanks 1

Disappointing they would show a display without a disclaimer. 

An option would be a 2nd used cell phone without cell service, as long as it had WiFi or Bluetooth (whatever connectivity to sensors it needs). 

- bob

Other than Scott61 I didn't see anyone using the Tire Tracker TT-600.  I have had my 10 tire unit for 5+ years.  Put about 20k miles and have only had one trip without a "No S" (no signal) many times. There is a "reset button" which resets all sensors in about 10-15 minutes. Sometime the No S will correct and sometime not.  It isn't a bad signal on the same tire except the RR inside dual.  I have purchased 3-4 new sensors after calling Tire Traker tech without getting a root cause.  I always replace all sensor batteries before a long tire and the monitor is fully charged.  I also have a signal booster in the rear of my coach.  A couple of times I have gotten "rapid leaking" or "low tire" which caused me to stop and check.  Getting the "No S" alarm forces me to look at the monitor rather than the road which is a real safety hazard.  NOT HAPPY with Tire Traker.

I had problems with my LF sensor (Tire Minder) reading 212 lbs then 55 lbs and so on.  It got so annoying I disabled that position.  Then the monitor started turning off by itself.  Apparently not enough signal from the remaining positions.  So yesterday I connected and mounted the supplied booster in the back wardrobe.  It was easy tapping power from the wardrobe light and the booster -> monitor signal doesn't have to pass through the chassis and while for the rear sensors it's more of a direct shot (vs angling through the flooring).  No telling when I'll be able to test the booster's affects  . . . .

As for the wonky sensor I keep playing with it but it may be a gonner. 

- bob

On my second trip with Pressure Pro Pulse FX and no problems with signal at all.  l installed in the middle just in front of rear axle as was suggested.  I even pick up my toad pressures while parked at the campground and with the toad parked in a separate parking spot about 15' away from the front of the coach.

Probably a widely known fact already, but it was suggested to remove the sensors while in storage as the sensors only use the batteries when installed and sensing pressure.   Each sensor has a serial number stamped on it so I know the location of each sensor.