Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/461-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Trace panel Switches are Dark
John Haggard
Dometic e7 code
Poohbear
Trailer Brakes
dl_racing427
Dometic e7 code
Chuck B
HWH Repair Costs
Corkman
Medallion power source
Chuck B
HWH Repair Costs
vito.a
HWH Repair Costs
ColoJim
Ivan K
Dometic e7 code
Poohbear
Fresh water pump wont shut off
Mike Wahl
HWH Repair Costs
Timaz996
House Battery Wiring,
birdshill123
House Battery Wiring,
Ivan K
House Battery Wiring,
vito.a
Load balancing
woodylmiller
House Battery Wiring,
birdshill123
House Battery Wiring,
birdshill123
Boy, I hate Kansas!
Ivylog
House Battery Wiring,
Ivan K
Medallion power source
Frank McElroy
Boy, I hate Kansas!
ncsteve
Load balancing
vito.a
Boy, I hate Kansas!
Cubflyer
Bedroom Slide Not Working
powersltc
Boy, I hate Kansas!
Ivylog
Medallion power source
Frank McElroy
Dash Fan
Rikadoo
Generator engine rebuild
Rikadoo

John Haggard
3 hours ago, Gary Petersen said:

Has anyone run into this electrical problem before?  Hoping to leave Wednesday for FMCA / Gillette. Doing my trip preparation on our 2002' Signature, I found that when I pushed the "Panel LTS" rocker switch to the on position (on the Trace house panel), nothing illuminates or operates except Generator switch. None of the gauges move.

I know my tanks are not all empty.   Any suggestions as to where to start?

Why don't the panel lights illuminate??

Why don't my gauges move or deflect? 

Electrical is Not a knowledgeable Topic for me. 

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Gary 

IMG_5978.jpg

So when you push the battery toggle 

The guage doesn't move ???

Obviously your not getting DC. Power.

1. Check your batteries 

And the wires running from your batteries 

2. Pull your panel and use your tester.

You should be able to read voltage 

If NONE 

Go back to source of power. 

Your AC is reading A, OK

You must be plugged in. 

Or have the generator running. 

Dometic e7 code
Poohbear

Started getting an e7 code in my middle ac , and I know that means a loss of power but I have a hughs power watch dog and it shows good power on both sides and no errors. I cut the ac off last night and it came back on yesterday and run all day but then before bed time it had come up with the e7 again.any ideas ? 

Which TPMS do you use and like/dislike and why?
tmw188

Tire Safe Guard, coach and towed, no booster needed. No issues, customizable parameters, user replaceable batteries. Mostly marketing sells these devices IMO. 

Trailer Brakes
dl_racing427
21 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Well i shall revisit the wiring, i connected to what was already there and tested inputs an outputs, the only thing different was instead of the blue wire in the harness someone had run a seperate blue wire from controller to the tow plug and using a DVOM it confirms controller is being activated with the engine brake. I apologize if i gave misinformation as it was truley not my intent. However when it cooked the brakes on my brand new dollie on its maiden voyage to Az i knew i had to do something... 

You're lucky.  I've seen trailers burned to the ground from this issue. 

Brakes get hot enough to set the bearing grease on fire, which spreads to the tires, and the whole trailer is soon engulfed. 

Sometimes they noticed it soon enough to pull over and unhitch before it burns the coach down too.

2006 Monaco Windsor lost tail pipe, need advice on how to replace.
tmw188

Is it the chrome tail pipe tip? More info.

2006 Monaco Windsor lost tail pipe, need advice on how to replace.
Ray Davis

I have bought chromed stainless tips from this place but not for the Windsor they may have them though.  Chromed stainless is what you want,  the regular old chromed steel will rust.

http://www.sup-auto.com/supergear.html

Dometic e7 code
Chuck B

I am having problems following the time line of your post.  How can a turned off AC last night and it came back on yesterday?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

HWH Repair Costs
Corkman

I just wanted to share my experience. 

I went through the great "600 air level svc manual ml19048" (this is for my system, it will vary for other models I suspect) troubleshooting the issue. Once it was determined that it was the control box I called HWH, received a repair order number, sent the box to them, and in about 2 weeks the control box was sent back all fixed, and it only cost me $113. This included the 4 little electrical parts that they replaced.

This was certainly a lot cheaper than buying a whole new system, and my system was too old to find a replacement control box.

I was always wondering about how I would be able to fix such an old system, but thankfully HWH is still supporting systems like my 2000-2001 10 air bag air ride and air leveling system.

Hope this info is useful for others.

Medallion power source
Chuck B

If I were you, I would go pick up my coach and move it to another shop.  Seems that that shop is creating more issues than repairing the problems you are seeking to be repaired.  I hope that they will release the coach without any payments for the mistakes they made.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

HWH Repair Costs
vito.a

I also sent my HWH control module and dash panel into HWH.  They are great! 

i now have the new digital level sensor and after setting it up my system works great.  

Fast turn around and more than fair costs.  

They get busy, so hang in there if you need to call.  

HWH Repair Costs
ColoJim

They’re from Iowa. Great company and people!

Ivan K

Like John said, the switches and level sensors don't appear to have DC power. All the switch lighting is daisy chained and level sensors need power too. Gen switch is independent and gets power from generator and chassis battery. Are you sure your salesman switch is on or bypassed? You should have 2 solenoids at the rear passenger side that act as 12v cutoff,  each for different 12v circuits so even if some 12v stuff works, other may not.. Of course your house batteries and switch must be good for all that to work.

Dash A/C wiring diagram…08 Navigator
Ivylog

600 miles and still working…40 degrees different 

Dometic e7 code
Poohbear
3 hours ago, Chuck B said:

I am having problems following the time line of your post.  How can a turned off AC last night and it came back on yesterday?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

My bad I meant we cut the thermostat off because it was showing the e7 the night before yesterday and when we got up the next morning I turn thermostat back on and the ac ran all day until bedtime I noticed it was showing the e7 again. And the same thing today it’s running today but we will tonight . 

Fresh water pump wont shut off
Mike Wahl

I figured out the issue.  Thanks for the sending me in the right direction.   When I checked the city water fill valve it was closed, however with the hose disconnected and the pump running the pump pushed the water out of the city water fill connection and onto the ground. 

I removed the backflow valve and I found that it didn't have any internal parts in it.  When I worked on it last week I had the hose still hooked up so it was pushing the pressure down the hose and I'm guessing opening the backflow valve on the hose connection at the house.  I wasn't looking for a leak there.

I went to the local pumping supply house and picked up a new 1/2 backflow valve and installed. 

This for the help with this one.

image.thumb.png.1008245523f642df0a0faf1e0d6645a1.png

Still working on the switch lights.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:52 PM, waterskier_1 said:

2) What do you mean by "lights on the pump motor button"?  Are you referring to the lights on the switches throughout the coach to turn on and off the water pump?

Waterskier_1, yes I'm referring to the lights on the switches throughout the coach.  None of them come on when the pump is running.

HWH Repair Costs
Timaz996

Had mine done a couple of years ago and they were great!

Tim

ncjimgr

I guess I am prejudiced but I have been using the TST system for about 12 years and have worked for TST doing Tech Support for the last 6 years. We have a very solid system with almost no errors. The fact you can change the batteries in both the 507 flow-through sensors and the cap sensors keeps the system going a long time. I spoke with a couple of individuals over the last two weeks that have had our system since 2011 and it is still going strong. They just change the batteries once a year. We have newly designed cap and flow-through sensors to keep up with the times and both our color display and grayscale display are a good size for viewing. Of course we have GREAT Tech Support 🙂 and strive to make everyone happy with their TST system.  Currently Forest River uses our internal sensors on all of the products they manufacture so that, in itself, is quite a testimony to our product line and its reliability.

JimG
2006 Camelot

ward_l_johnson

To ncjimgr……. Am getting ready to either replace our Pressure Pro system, or buy 12 new Pressure Pro sensors.  I looked at TST a few years ago, and even called the factory with a few questions.  I was told that the monitors had an internal battery, AND that I should NOT leave the monitor plugged into the 12v source other than to charge the internal battery.  The person I talked to advised that I would damage and dramatically shorten the monitor life if I left the monitor plugged in.  That would leave me with another unwanted task of assuring the TST monitor was charged each trip.  I find this hard to believe, but if that is correct, then that is what it is, and I’ll continue my search or just continue buying new PP sensors every 5-6 years.  Can you confirm or refute the information I previously was advised by TST?

House Battery Wiring,
birdshill123

Being stuck in Canada I had our 08 Dynasty in enclosed storage. I removed all the batteries and they have been stored connected to a battery maintainer  I was cleaning up the battery trays and noticed a broken wire in  one of the house battery trays. It is a flat grey telephone style cable with 4 very thin wires. Red,black,yellow and I think green. The wiring was disconnected  from the terminal. 3 of the 4 wires were poorly soldered together. The red was not. Strange terminal. Thick copper ring and a bell shaped end where the wires enter. The bell is quite large and was filled with some sort of white sealant.  Nothing was crimped. End of terminal had a boot that tapered to the telephone  style cable. I am now wondering whether it was hooked to hot or ground.  What is that cable?  I am wondering if it is something to do with the inverter. Any suggestions? Thanks

ncjimgr

Ward,

What you stated is partially true. Both the grayscale and color displays have lithium batteries and those batteries like to be discharged and recharged for longer battery life. You can absolutely keep the display plugged in if you like.  The person you spoke with is incorrect that you would damage the display, but you will shorten the battery life if you keep it plugged in. This is over the course of 5-7 years, not immediately. Any lithium battery left 100% charged will do the same thing, no matter what the application. The advantage of using the display on battery power is the elimination of just one more wire going across your dash to another display. The display will run 7-10 days on a full charge. The "suggestions" are to give you, the customer, the best possible life with the system. If you want to plug it in all the time, that is your prerogative. It will work either way.

JimG
2006 Camelot

House Battery Wiring,
Ivan K

I would guess a temp sensor for the charger eventhoug mine does not look like what you describe but some types mount to a battery stud.

House Battery Wiring,
vito.a

Yes. It's the temp sensor for the inverter.  Not super critical.  If you unplug it from the inverter it will run fine.  

Load balancing
woodylmiller

My front and middle A/C's are on one leg plus the battery charger it appears.  With all 3 going I'm drawing around 43 amps on that one leg and 0 on the other.  This is while I am parked at the house and I only have the two A/C's going to cool down the coach while I'm working on other projects.  In the parks the load is more balanced since all three A/C's and other gadgets are running.  I plan to move things around a little to balance the load a little better, unless the engineers at Monaco had designed the circuits this way and I shouldn't mess with it.  Any thoughts?  Both front and middle A/C's pull around 13 to 14 amps apiece and the charger is really kicking up and running around 14 amps at times.  My main concern is the voltage drop on the loads which causes an under voltage to happen, not good for a motor load.  At around 43 amps or so the one leg has dropped to 117 volts while the other no load leg is running at 122 volts.  Don't want to open a can of worms fooling around, got too many other projects to get done before the white stuff comes again and we are leaving before that.  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

ward_l_johnson

A follow up for ncjimgr….. Is the TST monitor battery user replaceable?, and if I always leave it plugged in, will the monitor continue to function after the battery useful life has been exhausted?  My Garmin GPS has an internal battery, but we always leave it plugged in while traveling, it senses loss of external power and automatically shuts itself off, but does give the user a brief option to leave it on sans external power….and battery continues to function (power GPS for a few hours after external power is removed) after 6 or 7 years of use like this.  I really want to like the TST system, if it weren’t for this “maintenance” issue.

House Battery Wiring,
birdshill123

Thanks but my temp sensor is sandwiched between 2 of the batteries

I have the wiring diagrams but nothing in there for the house batteries. I do not understand why all the wires were soldered together. Why not just run one wire. Could it be  for the alladin or the dash medallion? Strange.

House Battery Wiring,
birdshill123

Vito. I am not doubting you but I already have a temp. sensor.  Why would there be that many wires?

Boy, I hate Kansas!
Ivylog

Some things are love-hate but Kansas seems to get worse each time I cross it…all hate. Seems like the worst 424 miles in the nation because of the winds and today was no exception… strong wind out of the SW and we are headed W. The 1st picture below is with the wind from the side…45 degrees of crab on the steering wheel…even more once I got on I-70.
Decide to not use the Interstates where I can average 60 mph and not have big trucks head on at 129mph with 2’ of separation…. thought one was going to crack the windshield from the wind burst. OH, and the dozen times I’m not sure how our mirrors didn’t hit, especially the wide load on a very narrow road.
OK, part of the the reason for using 60 from Paducah, KY to Springfield, MO was Sam’s had diesel for $2.63 plus 13 cents back with a Sam’s credit card…$2.50 and using the TSD card would have been $2.68.

The DW is right, there are 2 good ways to see Kansas…from 30,000’ or at night. Second picture is all the bugs I smashed and even 2 birds while only averaging 50 mph. Sorry, the blue/red roads are not for me when trying to get somewhere.

CE6F1F08-F511-4834-A875-1E62CE833D5D.jpeg

A6FB348A-FC75-4BC0-8834-2721A1C81F1F.jpeg

House Battery Wiring,
Ivan K

Do you have a solar charger?  Those also use a sensor to adjust.

Medallion power source
Frank McElroy

You have a chassis multiplex coach.  Monaco had a HUGE battery parasitic load problem with this system so they made a mid production change to basically reconfigured the Rear Run Box (RRB) so that only the engine ran off the chassis batteries and ALL dash controls and gauges were powered from the house batteries. 

Yep, unbelievable but that's what monaco did. 

The chassis battery parasitic load was so bad that in a day or two the chassis batteries would be dead from just sitting with the ignition off. 

That is because the front and rear multiplex chassis CCM modules needed to be always powered with the ignition off to run functions like auto leveling. 

So, to solve the problem, Monaco just configured these modules to run on only the house batteries. 

In the download files there are schematics of how to configure the rrb to use the original vs the modified version with a chassis multiplex coach.

Boy, I hate Kansas!
ncsteve

We will be making that trek in 3 weeks. Hoping for better weather. 

Load balancing
vito.a

Do you mean your Magnum inverter charger is pulling 14 amps at 120v AC?  That's almost 140 amps at 12v DC.  If correct, something is seriously wrong!

More than likely it may be passing some current through to inverted outlets that are powering something.  

Each leg is designed to handle 50 amps.  If its not popping breakers I'd leave it alone.  

Boy, I hate Kansas!
Cubflyer

We came across the whole state of KS on I-70 a week ago Sunday.... made it to Denver just in time for record heat --- 100 degree days, day after day...  Stopped for an overnight in Wilson, KS at a Missile Silo Harvest Host deal.  I was pleasantly surprised how well my RR8R chassis is handling with the newly installed front swaybar and Watts link and rear crossbars. Drives much different (better).  I head out to UT thru the mountains on Thursday on I-70. That will test the suspension and engine/transmission power.... fingers crossed I'm not crawling up the long uphill grades at 45mph....

Bedroom Slide Not Working
powersltc

My bedroom slide not working.   Other two working. 

I got it from the shop today,  oil change,  etc.

Any ideas/suggestions,?

Boy, I hate Kansas!
Ivylog

I love how my S-10 tag chassis handles, especially today, but I disliked the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer previous owner installed… made driving tiring in anything but perfect conditions. The extra force to hold it off center, even with power steering, is very noticeable. Removed it until I could make it adjustable on the fly, but the +\- 1” from center that I can adjust, isn’t enough for strong crosswinds as I still had to hold pressure against it with my adjustment all the way into the wind. Probably needs to be 2” in either direction for conditions like today….45 degrees of crab on the wheel.

96 EVO
3 hours ago, ncjimgr said:

Ward,

What you stated is partially true. Both the grayscale and color displays have lithium batteries and those batteries like to be discharged and recharged for longer battery life. You can absolutely keep the display plugged in if you like.  The person you spoke with is incorrect that you would damage the display, but you will shorten the battery life if you keep it plugged in. This is over the course of 5-7 years, not immediately. Any lithium battery left 100% charged will do the same thing, no matter what the application. The advantage of using the display on battery power is the elimination of just one more wire going across your dash to another display. The display will run 7-10 days on a full charge. The "suggestions" are to give you, the customer, the best possible life with the system. If you want to plug it in all the time, that is your prerogative. It will work either way.

JimG
2006 Camelot

Makes sense!

I've recently purchased a couple of E-bikes, so learning a lot about lithium packs.

Apparently the worst thing you can do for battery life is leave them 100% charged for a extended period of time. 

Medallion power source
Frank McElroy

BTW, the first thing to do if you see an ATC light is to change fuel filters.  If the transmission is not seeing the expected engine power at a given throttle position, it will deactivate ATC and turn on the light.  Lower actual vs engine ECM targeted fuel delivery pressure will also turn on a check engine light.  So, the first thing to do is to change fuel filters when these lights come on.  If you've already done this, then it's time to read codes.

Dash Fan
Rikadoo

have you tested the switch output on that leg, also I have seen loose connectors get so hot it will melt the switch trace the switch connectors to see if your getting a signal 

Generator engine rebuild
Rikadoo

So smoke can be caused by several things, since you have pages of unused checks have the injectors checked. A healthy injector makes a spray which consist of tiny fuel droplets that ignite from the combustion pressures, a dirty injector sends out a stream of fuel which has a longer burn time. Good news is there are only 3 of them, rather than just replacing them I would want them to test there pop off pressure so you know which one was out of spec. 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.