Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/465-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Water Pump Pulsating Water
miacasa_2000
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Where the rubber meets the road.
jim.hamblin
Cooling system capacity
Dr4Film
Dr4Film
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
amphi_sc
Cooling system capacity
Dr4Film
Putting panes on roof. Need advice.
amphi_sc
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Cooling system capacity
Dr4Film
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Visors Stopped Working
W7BE_Bob
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Visors Stopped Working
Steve Hepfer
5.500 Marquis Gold Generator
astgerma
Visors Stopped Working
W7BE_Bob
Air conditioner mounting
Walker
Alternator failed at 90K miles.
McHughes
Frank Bergamo
John Haggard
Chuck B
Ray Davis
monacowner
klcdenver
McHughes
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Air conditioner mounting
Gary 05 AMB DST
Ray Davis
Air conditioner mounting
Walker
Air conditioner mounting
96 EVO
Geckotec Systems Monitoring Panel
Scotty Hutto
Air conditioner mounting
vito.a

miacasa_2000

If it happens again you've developed a small pin hole in the bladder and need to replace it. Easy to do and get and they're standard for wells in fact Well X Trol tanks are found everywhere . There're numbers on your tank that give you the size I believe when I did mine it was 2 gallon. (101)

Roy Mercier  2003 Dynasty   

Twomed

Fabbed my brackets too.  3M 5200 and pop rivet in each leg.  Over 10 years still tight.  Fiberglass roof but had same concern on wires...used a stop on the bit, no problems.

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

So what is the recommended coolant for our older 2002 Monaco? It’s obviously confusing, coolant type, coolant additive, SCA charged filters, what size of pre charged filers? I plan on having a hopefully Qualified Service center do mine to get it off my plate and hopefully have done correctly. I need to have some knowledge on this to be able to ask the right informed questions before doing so. 

jim.hamblin
On 6/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Ray Davis said:

I've seen super singles on trucks but not on a MOHO.   Has anyone on here tried them?    They are eye catching,  actually rather strange looking.

What size are the ones pictured above?  They don't appear as overly wide as the ones I've seen on semis.

I googled super singles and this site came up https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-tech/the-pros-and-cons-of-super-singles/

It's not a MOHO but interesting non the less.  He mentions being able to lower tire psi for a much smoother ride.  In the pict below you can see a dramatic size diff,    those tires would support a MOHO.  LOL                                                                                                                                                                                                          "  I bought five Goodyear G275 MSA 335/80/R20 military tires.  They are 41-inches tall on 20-inch rims. "

Super Single Vs 19 5 Tire

They’ll fill up those wheel wells. 

Generator won't run with engine running
Ray Davis

I would start by flipping the breaker switches on the gen.   See if that males a difference, then turn them on one at a time and note what happens.

Has any work been preformed,  anything electrical done or changed recently?  Could it be related to new batteries?

Cooling system capacity
Dr4Film
1 hour ago, tmw188 said:

So what is the recommended coolant for our older 2002 Monaco? It’s obviously confusing, coolant type, coolant additive, SCA charged filters, what size of pre charged filers? I plan on having a hopefully Qualified Service center do mine to get it off my plate and hopefully have done correctly. I need to have some knowledge on this to be able to ask the right informed questions before doing so. 

Todd,

The correct coolant can be the original Green Ethylene Glycol (which I have and use) in addition to managing the DCA level with a new slow release coolant filter plus bottles of DCA depending on how much is needed to maintain the proper level. Or you can change over to the ES Compleat Extended Life OAT Coolant and use a non-DCA coolant filter.

The choice is up to you which way to go. I chose to use the older coolant which is also used in my Aqua-Hot boiler so I only have to carry one type of coolant.

Here is a GREAT write-up on coolants for RV diesel engines. This will answer all of your questions and concerns.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/27_coolants.php

Kenwood KT-M707 Nav Touch Screen Inop
Rikadoo

NO MISS B FO ME...

Even though i have the Garmin 7xx series for use in my mh. When im using my phone in my pick up i use my phone, i finally changed the voice to a guy cause i got tired of a “miss B” tellin me where to go🙀😂

Dr4Film

Super Singles were developed for certain trucks to reduce their UVW so they could carry more product before reaching their GVWR. Each Super Single gets rid of one rim and whatever the difference is between the weight  of two normal tires and one super single tire.

Great article explaining the advantages of Super Single Tires.

http://truck-driver-blog.blogspot.com/2014/10/advantages-of-super-single-truck-tires.html

I like what I have on my coach so no desire to change.

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

Thanks Richard for the great info! I have my coolant report back and I’m probably going to change it out, possibly have a Cummins shop do it instead of doing it myself. I may just go with the new stuff if it’s not an issue. The gen I guess will still use the green Prestone coolant. They both have the green currently.  I guess my coolant filter would change to a different filter? This is all very confusing. 

amphi_sc

I'm late to the party on this topic as you've solved the problem by adding air into the accumulator, however as I have a somewhat huge accumulator (60 gallon bladder pressure tank) at the house on my water well for the S&B, and the small 2 gallon one in the coach, I'll proffer a tip from over the years on handling a water logged system....

Disconnect from city water, turn the coach water pump OFF, open a faucet and allow it to bleed out the remaining pressurized water.   You can measure how much you get if you want to be OCD. Shake, tap, or feel the accumulator to see if it feels empty.... probably has water still in it as the air bladder hasn't forced that water out.  So now I would check the air pressure in the bladder (if not zero bladder should not have a hole) and add some air into the bladder with the faucet still open to see if that forces out a bunch more water. If no water comes out, now your accumulator is empty of trapped water. If you start blowing air out the faucet you have a large hole in the bladder.  Now that the system is purged, add air pressure up to your pre-charge PSI (BTW, faucet still open). I set mine around 35-37 psi as my pumps cycle 40-60 psi.  Thus the bladder will push almost all the water out but a little is left to keep from stirring up sediment that may be in the very end, and it's not trying to overextend the bladder into the water line...i.e. when the pump cycles at 60 psi and you drain down to 40 psi cut in pressure, very little water remains in the tank.  So if the system holds the pre-charge air pressure in the accumulator with water pump off and no city water and a faucet open, then the bladder likely has no pin holes.  If it leaks down over time your bladder is shot but your accumulator can still function like old water wells did before bladder tanks, but over time your pre-charge air will absorb into the water and the system will become water logged again.  (Probably the reason bladders were invented.  I recall growing up and Dad would have to do this a couple times a year pre-bladder.) When you are happy with the bladder diagnostics, turn the pump on and let it cycle off, and you'll be able to draw almost two gallons of water before it cuts in again 

If you didn't drain the tank, you don't really know the bladder condition and also won't get max water between pump cycles, but the short cycling would have stopped anyway.  Anything I missed?

FWIW

Cooling system capacity
Dr4Film

Todd, the Fleetguard WF2071 is what I use which has the DCA additive included. If you change to the OAT Lifetime coolant then the non-DCA coolant filter is WF2122.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/south-pacific/sites/cumminsfiltration-empty.bitnamiapp.com.south-pacific/files/LT32599_07 Fleetguard Products %26 Parts Technical Information Catalogue Water Filters.pdf

amphi_sc

With a fiberglass roof, I glued plastic corners (similar to these https://www.ebay.com/itm/143657226718 ) using a high strength Sika Flex adhesive.  I forget the number, it might have been 252 or 221 or 552 but I don't recall for sure, so get comfortable with your own research.  It may have been   https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-017-90915-Sikaflex-252-White/dp/B08TDZMWHM but too long ago to remember.  Don't forget to check the expiration date on the glue cartridge.  After marking the footprint of the plastic corners, I roughed up the roof and plastic corner with some sand paper before glueing.  They are holding firmly after a few years, and I feel good not having any holes.

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

Once again great info. Is there any pitfalls of changing it? Your saying DCA I assume your finger is hitting the D instead of the S? SCA

Replacing a roller on my bedroom slide out
TigerMar

I noticed some mangled ba lack plastic on the floor in the coaches bedroom and upon close inspection found that the black nylon roller covering of the rear slide roller had been coming off the roller.  I believe this is a “Happy Jack” slide system.  Anyone replaced a roller on one of these.

Thanks for any help,

gary

Cooling system capacity
Dr4Film
36 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

Once again great info. Is there any pitfalls of changing it? Your saying DCA I assume your finger is hitting the D instead of the S? SCA

SCA = Supplemental Coolant Additive. DCA = Diesel Coolant Additive. The terms are used interchangeably.

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

So there is a difference, or just called two different things? I hadn’t heard of the DSA. 

Visors Stopped Working
W7BE_Bob

Both of them. For the DS DPDT switch the 2 output wires have 12V with switch up and reverse polarity with switch down. How are these wires routed to the visor?. There are an additional 2 switch lugs for the dash lights which work.

Are there any wiring diagrams or other suggestions?

I haven’t checked the PS visor voltage/wiring which is more complicated with 2 switches and 2 relays labeled as PASS VISOR related. I did swap out the relays with no change.

2009 Septer 42’

Cooling system capacity
tmw188
4 hours ago, tmw188 said:

So there is a difference, or just called two different things? I hadn’t heard of the DSA. 

Sorry Richard I asked a question that was already addressed in your explanation. That’s what happens when your helping the wife and trying to sneak in a reply🤪

Visors Stopped Working
Steve Hepfer

Did you check your fuse? Same thing happened to me and I noticed a blown fuse.

5.500 Marquis Gold Generator
astgerma

I have a Monaco Monarch 33sfs.  Gas RV.

I was not able to shut off the generator from the Salesman switch on dash of RV.

I replaced Salesman switch and did not fix the problem, I am able to start and stop generator at switch on generator.

Looked at 8 pin connector at generator and all looks good. 

Noticed  another 4 pin connector under the unit and as soon as it touched 3 wires broke loose from it.

I have tried to replace this connector with another 4 pin connector as used for trailer connector.

But I am having a problem as to how it is wired .  Does any one know the wiring for this connector.

One pin has two wires to it and the other three have a single wire to them. 

There are 2 blue that go to a brown and white,  1 red to red, 1 brown to blue, and 1 green to green. 

This combination tries to start Genny but shuts off immediately.

Does anyone have the solution to my dilemma.

Visors Stopped Working
W7BE_Bob

Every fuse with ignition off that has power is good, besides the switch has power. I discounted a second fuse but perhaps the switch activates a relay and there is another fuse - The 2 relays are labeled pass visor but they could be more than that - More to check. 

Since neither visor works my mind set is something common...

saflyer
11 hours ago, Twomed said:

Fabbed my brackets too.  3M 5200 and pop rivet in each leg.  Over 10 years still tight.  Fiberglass roof but had same concern on wires...used a stop on the bit, no problems.

Pop rivets. Hadn’t thought of that. Drill just through the aluminum then shove the rivet in. It couldn’t cut into ant wires. What do others think of this?

Ed

Air conditioner mounting
Walker

Mounting a new dometic air conditioner/heat pump on a 2007 diplomat.  Mounting bolts are to be torqued to 40-55 in/lbs to crush the gasket to 3/4".  Problem is, it draws the return grill bracket into the ceiling so far the grill won't attach.  There is nothing solid to draw against in the ceiling, just foam and the ceiling material.  Has anyone run into the problem or have a solution?

McHughes

Leece-Nevell 2824LC 160a 14v.   Thinking of replacing it with a Delco 28SI 200a.  My question is about the tach.  

Is the Delco tach signal the same as the Leece-Nevell?

Frank Bergamo

Mike,

your Leece-Neville is a Duvac alternator. It has a sense wire that runs to chassis batteries. If the alternator you are looking at does not have this provision you are better off getting a brand new Leece-Neville 160 or 200 amp Duvac alternator. Most people rebuild their old alternator and keep it for a spare. Hope this helps.

John Haggard
13 minutes ago, McHughes said:

Leece-Nevell 2824LC 160a 14v.   Thinking of replacing it with a Delco 28SI 200a.  My question is about the tach.  

Is the Delco tach signal the same as the Leece-Nevell?

You can get yours rebuilt like new for 3 to 4 hundred 

2 minutes ago, Frank Bergamo said:

Mike,

your Leece-Neville is a Duvac alternator. It has a sense wire that runs to chassis batteries. If the alternator you are looking at does not have this provision you are better off getting a brand new Leece-Neville 160 or 200 amp Duvac alternator. Most people rebuild their old alternator and keep it for a spare. Hope this helps.

Yes

There was a great thread last week concerning Alternator s

They re built mine while I waited.

1 hour.

$300. Plus tax 

Chuck B

Frank B is correct.  If you do not replace a alternator that has a DUVAC provision, you will run into a lot of problems.  There are alternator shops out there that have NO understanding about DUVAC.  All they want to do is make a sale.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Ray Davis

Mike,   I'm pretty sure your tach is not driven by the alternator.   On your 08 electronic engine the tach signal come from the ECM.

However you may have a Duvac alt, I don't know.  It has been recommended on here for the longest to rebuild them because many replacements never work properly.  

monacowner

Thanks amphi_sc for the detailed info! I'll definitely keep those instructions in mind the next time I find myself with the same issue.

Thanks everyone!

klcdenver

AJ-Electric is a good source with reasonable prices for the Duvacs. See attached

5C6A644F-DC90-4394-B5FF-DE5AC3418944.png

McHughes

Thanks for the feedback.   Rebuilding this unit is questionable. Highly corroded from road salts.  Contemplating doing it myself though.  I had rebuilt dozens in my shop over an 11 year period.

Currently the Leece-Nevell sensor port is simply a wire connection to the chassis batteries. As for the tach there is a wire connected to the tach terminal on the alternator. I believe it taps onto one leg of the diode trio.

The Delco 28SI also has a sensor port and a tach port.  According to the docs the sensor port functions to increase voltage based on cable voltage loss at the battery. Same as the Leece-Nevell was doing.  As for the Delco tach signal the docs say "Frequency = Alternator RPM/10" . Don't know if it is the same as the Leece-Nevell. I suspect it is somewhat standardized.

This coach never had to the old style 3 terminal battery isolator which is what the duvac was to address.

By the way, this coach used to have a Big Boy and Bird which was replaced by a LI-BIM almost two years ago. 

Turn Signal Mechanism in Steering Column not working
Joe E.

Took another look at the steering column covers, and..... Wahla!!  They came off just like ya'all said they would.  Removed and unplugged the module and started the search using ya'lls input on parts.  Ordered and received today from Amazon a Standard Motor Products DS301T Turn Signal Switch.  Looks exactly like the original.  So here's hoping.  Thank you greatly for the excellent technical support.  BTW, the turn signal lever on this unit just pulls straight out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00471QQ9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cooling system capacity
tmw188
12 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Todd,

The correct coolant can be the original Green Ethylene Glycol (which I have and use) in addition to managing the DCA level with a new slow release coolant filter plus bottles of DCA depending on how much is needed to maintain the proper level. Or you can change over to the ES Compleat Extended Life OAT Coolant and use a non-DCA coolant filter.

The choice is up to you which way to go. I chose to use the older coolant which is also used in my Aqua-Hot boiler so I only have to carry one type of coolant.

Here is a GREAT write-up on coolants for RV diesel engines. This will answer all of your questions and concerns.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/27_coolants.php

Richard wow what a great read, I recommend it to any of us not understanding this stuff. You were right about it answering my questions and concerns. It mentioned it could be used in your genny, is there any reason you don’t? So my take away is I can use the OAT Compleat or the ES Compleat in my wet sleeve motor if I want to change it. It seems a lot less work involved.

Air conditioner mounting
Gary 05 AMB DST

Matt, could you give some information on the model you used for replacement.

Thanks, 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Ray Davis

Mike,   Now we learn that you probably know more about these alternators than the rest of us put together.  LOL

You can probably make any alternator work,  but the average guy can't do that.  They are often at the mercy of a mechanic that has no idea what a Duvac alt is.

BTW, if your tach is alt driver it is important that you maintain the same pulley diameter.  I suppose you could tell for sure by disconnecting the tach wire or even  start the engine without the belt and see if the tach still works.

Good luck & let us know how it works out.

Air conditioner mounting
Walker

Gary, sorry for the lack of info.  I originally had a penguin and am replacing it with a blizzard nxt h551816a.  

Air conditioner mounting
96 EVO

I just go by feel. Keep all 4 bolts equal.

Geckotec Systems Monitoring Panel
Scotty Hutto
On 5/5/2021 at 6:30 PM, SkyKingII said:

Bill, For what it's worth I replaced the poorly performing original gauges with same system as Ken showed pic's of in his Executive

Bruce Crocker

2004 Diplomat 40'PDQ

Bruce,

I believe my 2006 Dip has the same tank setup as your 2004. Where did you mount the sensors, and did you use the original wiring, or run your own?

I have my gauges in hand and will be installing them in the next couple of weeks, and planning for that…

Thanks,

Scotty

Flush Mounted Progressive Industries Remote - 2006 Dip
Scotty Hutto
On 1/16/2021 at 5:01 AM, Bob Nodine said:

Scotty,

I installed about 600 watts of solar on the roof with an MPPT controller. TriStar is the brand name of the controller and that is the remote display for the MPPT charger. Since the LED tank level system that came with the coach was worthless, especially after installing the SeeLevel, I cut out the tank level display and replaced it with the TriStar remote panel.

Bob,

1. Where did you put the Seelevel sensor strips? I was thinking curb side, but don’t see how I can get one on my gray tank  fresh water and black water look relatively simple…

2. did you use the existing wiring, or run new for the Seelevel?

Thanks,

Scotty

Air conditioner mounting
vito.a

I think there were some steel crossbars the bolts go through.  

Did the bolts fall out and not get put back in correctly?

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.