Jump to content

Hard wiring power into entrance door ?


Mike H
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've been wanting to add lights to our entrance door to operate like ones in a car where when you open the door the lights automatically come on.  I've found some OXYLED battery operated motion sensing lights on Amazon (see photo) that work well but they really go through batteries fast.  I would like to find a way to hard wire them in, even if it's just the one at the bottom of the door.  The ones I found have a magnetic strip that is double backed taped to the door then the light just magnetically attaches to the strip.  They make larger ones for closets but I preferred these smaller ones and they came in a pkg of 3 which was perfect.  Has anyone found a way to get constant power into the door 'easily' ?

Door Lights_1.jpg

Door Lights_2.jpg

Door Lights_3.jpg

Door Lights_4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I am sure that your coach is equipped with a Keyless Entry so there are wires that are fished into the door through some point to actuate the locking mechanism. Search the door for where those wires enter, then run the necessary wires using that same access point.

I'll check again.  What I do see though is what looks like two brass contacts in the door jam near the hinges and I suspect that's what might be providing power to the door.  Also, I got to thinking and will also need to drop the voltage down to 3v for powering those lights.  I don't understand what they didn't set something up like the automotive industry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have difficulty believing an Executive did not come with illuminated grab handles?  Are you sure they are not?  I just replaced the LED's in my two interior grab handles a few days ago as one burned out and the other was flickering.   Your step looks like it was replaced?  It should have a light also.

I just noticed the little lights on the side of the step well, do they work?

Edited by Hypoxia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mike H said:

I'll check again.  What I do see though is what looks like two brass contacts in the door jam near the hinges and I suspect that's what might be providing power to the door.  Also, I got to thinking and will also need to drop the voltage down to 3v for powering those lights.  I don't understand what they didn't set something up like the automotive industry.

Mike H

Here are some small 12V LED fixtures,  (found by Googling  "clear small 12v leds").

https://tinyurl.com/sabzoxj   ,    https://tinyurl.com/ufaep97  ,     https://tinyurl.com/sxemfcj

 
Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, pwhittle said:

Oxyled  also makes USB rechargeable motion sensing lights. I use them in my closets and charge them when they start to dim.

 

Paul

Just noticed them this morning when I tried doing a search again for the ones I bought.  Those for the closet have a lot more cells in them so I'm wondering if maybe they might be overwhelming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have some of the 10 LED ones in my closets. I have one under the sink and two (one on each level) under the cooktop.
 

Less usage than the front door, but they last for months before I need to recharge them.

They are not super bright, but great for the closet.  I may try moving one to the entry way, shamelessly stealing your fine idea.

Paul

Edited by pwhittle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hypoxia said:

I have difficulty believing an Executive did not come with illuminated grab handles?  Are you sure they are not?  I just replaced the LED's in my two interior go out in the dark grab handles a few days ago as one burned out and the other was flickering.   Your step looks like it was replaced?  It should have a light also.

I just noticed the little lights on the side of the step well, do they work?

JIM,  my Executive does have those features but for the application I am looking for I would have to leave them on 24/7.  When we have the coach parked in campground it's not a problem to have those on but when we have the coached parked at our house for a week or two before or after a trip it gets really dark by the coach.   I don't want to leave it all lit up to irritate the neighbors anymore then I am by parking it in the driveway while we pack/unpack.  When I go out at night and open the door I have to remember to carry a flashlight with me so I see to get up the stairs and find the light switch inside.  It just would be nice to have some lights come on when I opened the door.

45 minutes ago, pwhittle said:

I have some of the 10 LED ones in my closets. I have one under the sink and two (one on each level) under the cooktop.
 

Less usage than the front door, but they last for months before I need to recharge them.

They are not super bright, but great for the closet.  I may try moving one to the entry way, shamelessly stealing your fine idea.

Paul

Hey Paul, let me know how it works out and post a photo if you can.  I like the feature of being able to recharge them with a USB cord and may go that route.  One downside of having them magnetically attached at the bottom of the door is that they occasionally get bumped off or come off is someone slams the door shut.   The other two places I have them work fine with no issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike,

Locate the circuit that works in conjunction with your steps to sense when the door is open or closed. It usually is a switch operated by a magnetic in the door frame. Tap into those wires and add a relay with a high impedance coil that will operate from 12 volts. Use the output contacts of that relay to parallel the switch that turns the step well lights on and off. Make sure to use the relay contacts that are closed when the door is opened. That will turn on the step well lights each time your open the door.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob Nodine said:

Mike,

Locate the circuit that works in conjunction with your steps to sense when the door is open or closed. It usually is a switch operated by a magnetic in the door frame. Tap into those wires and add a relay with a high impedance coil that will operate from 12 volts. Use the output contacts of that relay to parallel the switch that turns the step well lights on and off. Make sure to use the relay contacts that are closed when the door is opened. That will turn on the step well lights each time your open the door.

 

Hmmmm Interesting.  Time for me to dig out my schematics and see if that can be done without impacting how those lights turn on now with the grab handle..  Thanks Bob.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My '07 has a switch that selects all  entry lights on all the time  OR whenever the door is open.  That isn't enough light to find some of the switches though.  I mounted a Mag Light flashlight on the step well below the grab handle.  It's convenient to use  if I enter the coach and need light or when I leave the coach and need to look at something.   That may not resolve your issue though.

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hypoxia said:

My '07 has a switch that selects all  entry lights on all the time  OR whenever the door is open.  That isn't enough light to find some of the switches though.  I mounted a Mag Light flashlight on the step well below the grab handle.  It's convenient to use  if I enter the coach and need light or when I leave the coach and need to look at something.   That may not resolve your issue though.

image.png

Cool, that's the way they should operate, kind of like the 'puddle' lights under the mirrors on my truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you looked into 12v motion sensors?

https://www.amazon.com/Sensky-BS010WL-Occupancy-Lighting-Adjustable/dp/B00KAB4CRG

Or a cabinet switch? Not sure if that would work with the coach door:

https://www.amazon.com/Sensky-automatic-cabinet-Voltage-Cabinet/dp/B00KVFG9S6

If you're not married to those little battery powered lights, you could get some 12v LED strip lights and connect them through the motion sensor. You can get all sorts of surface mount extruded housings for LED strip lights:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=strip+light+housing&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Another idea... I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for... but the keyless entry/alarm wiring has a circuit to trigger the overhead lights above the entry. I think the viper alarm was probably wired to turn on the entry lights when disarmed. 

I replaced the original essex fob module with their replacement module and connected it to that it turns on the entry lights when unlocked with the fob.  But...the keypad is totally separate and doesn't have a circuit to trigger the overhead lights.

Cheers.

Walter

Edited by wamcneil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some good options Walter.  Do you think ALL Monaco's were prewired with a circuit to turn on lights when opening the door?  If the porch light could be turned on with the Key Fob then that would eliminate my issue with trying to have the steps illuminated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Some good options Walter.  Do you think ALL Monaco's were prewired with a circuit to turn on lights when opening the door?  If the porch light could be turned on with the Key Fob then that would eliminate my issue with trying to have the steps illuminated.

Couldn't say for sure...  but my wiring diagram suggests that all coaches are prewired for the alarm system. Mine did NOT have the viper alarm, but the coach side of the plug has all the wires for the optional viper alarm. My wiring diagram says this wire is used with the viper alarm, but not with the essex keyless entry system.

On my wiring diagrams, the wire is not labeled except its color (BLK/WHT). See attachment. This is from the page titled "KE-1601 KEYLESS ENTRY KEYPAD" and the plug is M12, which feeds plug M60 and eventually connects to the Porch and Ceiling relay.

alarm_wiring.jpg

wiring.jpg

Edited by wamcneil
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure.

Here's the writeup I did on IRV2 about replacing the wireless module, including connection of the overhead lights. The original wireless module didn't have a "Dome Light Supervision" feature, but the Avital unit they sell now does. It's easy to replace and was just about $30 on amazon last I checked.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/essex-1603-keypad-and-wireless-replacement-330319.html

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...