Changing ISC 350 8.3 Coolant?

I have flushed and change coolants before but not in a diesel motor.  I don’t want to be Naïve by not knowing any possible challenges such as draining the block or getting the air out as I’m filling it. Others I would fill thru the radiator before starting, then start and continue filling while motor is running, maybe shut down intermittently and fill some more while idling. How difficult and what are the challenges. Any good sources out there on doing so?

Most Cummins engines do not have a block drain.  The best you can do is drain from the lower radiator hose.  The issue is you have only drained slightly over half of the system.  This requires lots of drains and flushes with water to get most of the original coolant out.  

Some folks have used a shop vacuum to pull the fluid out.  

Link to detailed thread:  

I just did mine last weekend. Took about an 1.5 hrs. I put in the Preston pre-clean solution and drove it around for a while. I have the ISL but I would image they are close to the same. I replaced the thermostat while we had it drained. Drained the system from the lower radiator hose, filled back through the overflow tank. it took 10 gallons of pre-mix. Cummins shop stated it does not matter which antifreeze (yellow or red) as long as it is all the same. Do not mix the two types. I am glad I did mine as I found the overflow tank splitting and leaking just a little. It would only have gotten worse. The plastic tank is no longer available so a replacement tank is steel at $400, ouch. Pretty easy job, you got this, no problem.

My concern is 3 fold.                                                                                              •I have a water source but no level place to perform this at home.    •Where I do have a level ground I have no water source.                                •Disposing of all the old coolant properly is going to be a problem. 

I will probably have it done at a Cummins facility but trusting it to be done thoroughly is always concerning.

Edited by tmw188

Might look into Fleetguard restore products. I did my 6.4 powerstroke right I bought it as Silicate Gel is an issue with Ford Gold coolant. (Clogs the oil cooler) 

Anyway, the algae snot that came out of that truck was insane. I’ll use Restore Plus when I flush the 8.3 next month. But it takes most of a day to flush, and a few coolant filters 

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/lt36625.pdf

Edited by JDCrow
Missed a word

I switched over to Peak Final charge global several years ago.
When you flush the system (some people just flush twice then fill, i did 2 times with tap water, and the last time with distilled water), make sure bring up the temp by

(1) If you have Aquahot (if it is using the same coolant for circulating heat), let it run for few minutes

(2) open up the front heater

(3) drive it on highway. at the final fill, you'd need to know what the total coolant capacity is, fill 50% of final charge concentrate, then fill the rest with distilled water.

Make sure you flush the system thoroughly. There are several how to's out on the subject. I ended up with a lot of waste coolant and flush to dispose of when I was done. My local mechanic let me dispose of it at his place for $20! Do not dump it down the sewer!
I also converted the Onan right away.

Todd, When I changed my coolant I drained it from the radiator. I then filled it with distilled water and ran it to operating (open thermostat) temperature. I did this 3 three times till the water showed no coolant. I filled it with Fleetguard ES Compleat. 1,000,000 mile coolant and no SCA. I took the water canisters to various Take 5 oil change shops for disposal and a tip. Disposal was the hardest thing to accomplish. Bought an extra Compleat as the level goes down as the voids get filled. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Todd, I used the radiator petcock. Didn't want to mess with the hoses. Turn on the heater full blast to flush it.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Been following this discussion;  was wondering if anyone had any problem getting the air out of the system.  My ISL  takes a lot of coolant and was just curious as to how long you keep running the engine to get the air out and should you watch for the "burb" at the coolant tank.

Bob L, 08 dynsty

Thank you to all the posters to this thread. I decided to have it done at a reputable diesel truck center. I provided the coolant because I didn’t want to use the EL and OAT coolant they had in stock. They did some other things including a state inspection. Checked out my steering hydraulic noise and gave their opinion. They have a grate it appeared that they drain the coolant into, it must lead to a sump pit that gets pumped out from the looks of it. Easy! Drained, flush, back filled and drained block. 

Edited by tmw188