Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/467-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

SeaLand Magnum Opus Toilet - Wanted
pwhittle
Changing ISC 350 8.3 Coolant?
BennieH
tmw188
Antifreeze change
Chuck B
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Antifreeze change
JDCrow
Cooling system capacity
millionroy
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Temp sensor on new batteries
Chuck B
Gary 05 AMB DST
Alternator failed at 90K miles.
cterryl@sbcglobal.net
tmw188
moxy1962
Brake Drums 2006 Diplomat
Scotty Hutto
Gerald H
Scotty Hutto
IlliniCathy
Chuck B
IlliniCathy
Scotty Hutto
Steven
Scotty Hutto
Jim Byrd
Robert U
Scotty Hutto
RF197 Samsung Refrigerator
namvet77
Bobbyboy
Turobcharger for ISL400
cnot305
Gary 05 AMB DST
cbr046
namvet77
Dale n Deb
namvet77
tmw188
Ivylog
MCD guru needed
woodylmiller
Mystery vacuum line
woodylmiller
Antifreeze change
Rikadoo
Mystery vacuum line
Ivan K
Air conditioner mounting
Walker

SeaLand Magnum Opus Toilet - Wanted
pwhittle

I am still looking for a mechanism if anyone has, or knows where one is.

Thanks!

Paul

BennieH

I switched over to Peak Final charge global several years ago.
When you flush the system (some people just flush twice then fill, i did 2 times with tap water, and the last time with distilled water), make sure bring up the temp by

(1) If you have Aquahot (if it is using the same coolant for circulating heat), let it run for few minutes

(2) open up the front heater

(3) drive it on highway. at the final fill, you'd need to know what the total coolant capacity is, fill 50% of final charge concentrate, then fill the rest with distilled water.

Make sure you flush the system thoroughly. There are several how to's out on the subject. I ended up with a lot of waste coolant and flush to dispose of when I was done. My local mechanic let me dispose of it at his place for $20! Do not dump it down the sewer!
I also converted the Onan right away.

tmw188

I wish I had a level enough area at home to do this but I don't so I’m going check on my diesel truck center and have them do it. No I would never put it down a sewer drain. 

Flush Mounted Progressive Industries Remote - 2006 Dip
Bob Nodine
On 6/27/2021 at 12:50 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

Bob,

1. Where did you put the Seelevel sensor strips? I was thinking curb side, but don’t see how I can get one on my gray tank  fresh water and black water look relatively simple…

2. did you use the existing wiring, or run new for the Seelevel?

Thanks,

Scotty

Scotty,

I put the fresh water tank sensor on the passenger side but had to put the black and gray sensors on the driver's side because the black and gray tanks are sloped and the deep end is on the roadside. I did use existing wiring that was in the coach for options that were not there. Unfortunately you have to pull that white panel in the service bay to get to the end of the black and gray tanks.

Black tankSeeLevel  sensor.jpg

Diplomat Sealevel, etc 002.JPG

Diplomat Sealevel, etc 018.JPG

Diplomat Sealevel, etc 020.JPG

Diplomat Sealevel, etc 007.JPG

I35 North in Kansas City MO Closed but no detours
Bob Nodine
22 hours ago, John Haggard said:

A certain element of political leaders are promoting removing the interstate system through major city's. 

It will bring drug dealers and crime organizations back together again .

I'm not very bright but this makes no sense to me. I always thought drug dealers and crime organizations were all criminals and I doubt they care where the interstates are. No matter what the government or law enforcement does the criminals will always adapt.

Antifreeze change
Chuck B

Be aware there are a lot of cavities inside the diesel engine depending on the engine size that can hold up to a half a gallon of antifreeze after draining.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

D@mn service place was wanting to put in the OAT Coolant says that’s what they have put in hundreds of vehicles. I told them about the sensor problems that are encountered with using that on the older motors. Then he texts me a pic of ES Compleat and I said I didn’t want that either and that I wanted the Fully Formulated coolant and that I would bring it to them. Hell even if they need to make a little on my coolant that’s what I want to use. Waiting to hear back.  If they won’t give me what I’m asking for I’ll go somewhere else. 

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

Did we ever find out how many gal it took for your motor?

Antifreeze change
JDCrow

Yes, if you want to know what a crazy flush is like, Google 6.0 or 6.4 power stoke flush. Because of Sand Castings and Horrible motor craft gold coolant that gels up in the Oil cooler and Egr coolers, it’s a mess to flush. There are even adaptors to back flush your oil cooler.

There are nooks and crannies for tons of scale, rust and algae to hide

Cooling system capacity
millionroy

Unfortunately no.  I have learned a lot more, but have decided to have my RV guy do it. He owns a 2001 Holiday Rambler like ours, and he couldn't tell me!  Sounds like it will take several flushes and nearly impossible to drain the engine block.  Plan on a final flush with deionized water, filling it with Peak Final Charge 50/50 and maybe then I will know.  Will check with refractometer afterward to be sure we're protected down to 0 F which will be fine for this area (Western NC, elevation about 2300 feet.)

Thanks for asking.

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

Ok thanks Roy. Posted that question twice by mistake. Thought I put it in another thread. Running around and forgot I had asked earlier. Getting forgetful I guess.

Temp sensor on new batteries
Chuck B

IMO, Monaco added the temp sensor for a reason.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Gary 05 AMB DST

Todd, When I changed my coolant I drained it from the radiator. I then filled it with distilled water and ran it to operating (open thermostat) temperature. I did this 3 three times till the water showed no coolant. I filled it with Fleetguard ES Compleat. 1,000,000 mile coolant and no SCA. I took the water canisters to various Take 5 oil change shops for disposal and a tip. Disposal was the hardest thing to accomplish. Bought an extra Compleat as the level goes down as the voids get filled. 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Todd, I used the radiator petcock. Didn't want to mess with the hoses. Turn on the heater full blast to flush it.

Gary 05 AMB DST

cterryl@sbcglobal.net

I have a 2003 Beaver built in 2002. Does anyone know if it has a Duvac alternator. Recently replaced the alternator with a new one. The new had the same numbers and the same terminal hook ups. Have no idea if it was a Duvac or not but everything seems to be working fine. Would change out again but it is a little difficult because of rear radiator.

tmw188

Thanks Gary, disposal is a big deal I know, along with other logistics  I’m having it done and they let me provide my own coolant. 

moxy1962

If it’s working and your coach has isolator I would say you are good 

Scotty Hutto

I need help sourcing steer axle brake drums for a 2006 Diplomat.  I've been through 1) the Parts List, 2) the downloads section (LOTS of brake info - but nothing on drums) 3) the roadranger.com site (Bendix brakes), and multiple web searches with different search engines. 

The existing drums are corroded to the point where you can't see the part number. (15 years of road grime will do that.)

We've also tried taking the drums to some local parts suppliers (Atlanta area).  I've yet to find an exact match; the problem seems to be the three small bolt holes used to attach the drums to the hub before you put the wheels on.  Otherwise they can match the drum dimensions.

Any help appreciated.

Gerald H

Did you try NAPA ??

Scotty Hutto
5 minutes ago, Gerald H said:

Did you try NAPA ??

Yes sir.  No joy.

Need part numbers for brakes on 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, Roadmaster Chassis, DP
Mike in Va

Just put our 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador with a Roadmaster chassis DP, in the shop for brake work. Just found out I need new pads for front and rear. New rotors all around and calipers for the rear axle. The problem is they can cross reference through NAPA but  I don't have parts numbers to cross reference. I'll have to pay the shop to take these items off to get the numbers and then put it back together in order to free up a bay while waiting for the parts to be delivered.  I have checked the downloads on this website and thus far have found nothing.  I am looking for part numbers for brake pads, rotors and brake calipers.

IlliniCathy

We replaced ours and got the parts from source engineering when we replaced trailing arms.  You might try them.  They knew which parts we needed.

Chuck B

Monaco purchased a complete front axle assembly back in those days.  Check on the part of the axle facing the rear of the coach for the number.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

IlliniCathy

Mechanic hubby says those 3 holes were for assembly line ease and not needed.  It was used in factory only.  Not needed for replacement.  Be fine without.

Scotty Hutto
1 minute ago, Chuck B said:

Monaco purchased a complete front axle assembly back in those days.  Check on the part of the axle facing the rear of the coach for the number.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Thanks Chuck.  I have the steer axle assembly (I202BN201-1) and the Bendix brake assembly (ES-150-4L).  Just not the drum.  There is a "Hub & Drum Assembly", part number 975352, but I don't need the hub, and can't find the drum.

1 minute ago, IlliniCathy said:

Mechanic hubby says those 3 holes were for assembly line ease and not needed.  It was used in factory only.  Not needed for replacement.  Be fine without.

Perfect!!  That helps!!!

Steven
 VEURINKS' RV CENTER
                             7144 S DIVISION AVE S
                                GRAND RAPIDS, MI
                                       US
                                  616-281-5111

They are Monaco repair and parts center. Give them your vin number and they contact Monaco who has all the parts and manufacturers and parts number that went on your coach. They helped me with a replacement drag link assembly.

Scotty Hutto

Found it!

The drums are made by Webb Wheel Products, part number 65555B.

https://www.webbwheel.com/online_catalog_drumdetail.php?dn=65555B

Found them in Birmingham for $1k/ea. 

The local NAPA counter guy couldn't find it, but they do have them (pricey!!): 

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWR65555B

Now that I have the specific dimensions (and not worried about the three assembly holes) I'll find a cross available locally.  Will post details once I have it.

Thanks Everyone!!  Looks like our July 1 trip is still on!!! (I was worried).

Scotty

Need part numbers for brakes on 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, Roadmaster Chassis, DP
Gary 05 AMB DST

Boy, this is getting scary as the parts problems are getting closer to 2005.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Jim Byrd

Attached is a spreadsheet for the dimensions for a Webb 65555B drum and the one I installed on my Holiday Rambler Endeavor.

The bolt hole diameter is a bit larger however spacers are available.

Price for drum was $129 and free freight  from FIND IT PARTS on line

Spacer were about $40, can't remember where I purchased them, it was on line

Hope this will help.

Jim

Brake Drum Comparison.xlsx

Robert U

Scotty

Try Jacks Diesel. Talk to Gerry. They do a lot of brake work.

Bob U

Scotty Hutto
29 minutes ago, Robert U said:

Scotty

Try Jacks Diesel. Talk to Gerry. They do a lot of brake work.

Bob U

My coach is at Jack's as we speak having the front bearings replaced (I had a bad bearing) and new brake drums and shoes installed.  Garrey was super helpful.

namvet77

I have a 04 Camelot that I installed the RF197 Samsung Refer about 7 years ago.  Best upgrade I have made.  The refer has worked flawlessly until last week.  My defrost sensor went bad a week ago.  I removed the back panel on the inside of the refer that covers the evap coils.  Sure enough there was ice everywhere.  Melted the ice and bought the rear panel that comes with a new  defrost sensor and installed it.  Bought the rear panel from a local appliance distributor.  Prior to removing the back panel there was a odor (smelled like a dead fish) in the refer.  That was a couple days before I replaced the back panel.  A friend said the back panel has Styrofoam on the back side of the panel to act as insulation.  He said the Styrofoam will absorb odors from the refer.  We haven't had any fish in the refer for several weeks and it wasn't bad while in the refer.  Everything was removed from the refer, checked for freshness and odor, wiped down with disinfectant, and put back in the refer.  The odor still remains.  Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Don

Ivan K

When I needed part numbers, I took a picture of the axle ID plate at rear passenger half of it, the axle was ID'd as Rockwell along with S/N and Customer Number, called their tech support and they gave me all part numbers right then while on the phone. So easy, they should know it.

Here again is an example of the ID plate. That's all that was needed to get part number of anything used for the axle assembly, including all brake parts.

IMG_20200106_125209634.jpg

Bobbyboy

Been following this discussion;  was wondering if anyone had any problem getting the air out of the system.  My ISL  takes a lot of coolant and was just curious as to how long you keep running the engine to get the air out and should you watch for the "burb" at the coolant tank.

Bob L, 08 dynsty

Turobcharger for ISL400
cnot305
On 6/27/2021 at 7:35 AM, bandmmorris said:

I still have the unit and would take $2,000 if anyone is interested.

Sent you an email message

Gary 05 AMB DST

Bob, in my case I just drove as usual and checked the level. If the level gets too low, the check engine light will come on. I don't think that there is any large air traps in the system.

Gary 05 AMB DST

cbr046

Baking soda?

- bob

namvet77

I've got 3 boxes of baking soda in there now. I was told to check the catch box where the defrosted water goes and clean it.

Dale n Deb

When someone unplugged our MH while we were gone for 10 days, I didn't think I'd find anything to get the smell out. My daughter suggested white vinegar. We kept some in the freezer and some in the fridge. We would switch them each day, putting the frozen one in the fridge and vice versa.  It took a week but the odor disappeared. Vinegar worked wonders for us.

namvet77

Thanks Dale. I'll try that.

tmw188

Thank you to all the posters to this thread. I decided to have it done at a reputable diesel truck center. I provided the coolant because I didn’t want to use the EL and OAT coolant they had in stock. They did some other things including a state inspection. Checked out my steering hydraulic noise and gave their opinion. They have a grate it appeared that they drain the coolant into, it must lead to a sump pit that gets pumped out from the looks of it. Easy! Drained, flush, back filled and drained block. 

Ivylog

Charcoal 

MCD guru needed
woodylmiller

Front shade will not program with the ignition on.  Ignition off and the shade works.  During programing attempt we are not getting the beeps to begin the programing process.  Shade visor works fine.  We noticed there is a brown wire coming from the shade motor that appears to go nowhere.  Talking with the MCD tech I was told that the brown wire is powered with the ignition on and that is the safety wire that prevents the shade from coming down while the ignition is on.  Pulled the cover off the corner pillar post since that is where the end of the brown wire was.  I was hoping to fine the other end of the brown wire, but it's not there.  The brown wire looks as though it was cleanly cut. ???  There is a yellow wire that goes nowhere from the visor part and it has a butt splice that was not crimped on the empty side of the barrel, if that makes sense.  There are five wires in a loom coming from the dash up that pillar, all appear to be cleanly cut.  There is a brown wire in the group but no power with the ignition on.  Is it possible that there are two fuses on that shade motor?  One for ignition on, one for ignition off?  There are fuses behind the above dash TV, maybe???  One other thing, the two brown wires are different sizes.  The motor wire is a 18 ga or so, the one from the dash looks to be a 14 ga.  All wires look like they were never stripped or crimped.

Very confusing with a brown and yellow wire, one from each motor that go nowhere, and the yellow wire has a crimped on butt splice only on one side, the empty barrel was not even attempted to be crimped by the looks of things.  Everything has worked with no issue to date.  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Mystery vacuum line
woodylmiller

OK, yes, a vacuum pump and canister on the firewall.  One small air line going to the HVAC selector switch, no other lines that I can see.  All controls for the HVAC working.  The line that I found behind the instrument cluster has some of the gray foam sealant on it about a foot from the end, guessing at some point it crossed the firewall.  The line is not long enough to reach anything that I can see.  There is no vacuum or pressure on the line with the engine on or off.  At this point since I can trace the other end of the line I'm going to give up on it.  It runs from the instrument cluster area to the right and disappears behind the cabinetry and I lose it halfway, don't see anything coming through the firewall.

Woody Miller

Antifreeze change
Rikadoo
11 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Yes, if you want to know what a crazy flush is like, Google 6.0 or 6.4 power stoke flush. Because of Sand Castings and Horrible motor craft gold coolant that gels up in the Oil cooler and Egr coolers, it’s a mess to flush. There are even adaptors to back flush your oil cooler.

Hey JD so i was working for ford when International stuck us with that 6.4 POS!!! They discovered when the cooling system had either run low on coolant or sucked air an cavitated the cooling system so bad that it wore a hole thru the front seperator plate an dumped all the coolant into the lubrication system, that once that block had overheated there was NO way to get the stuff out. Even after the manditory 6 hr flush an replace the EGR cooler they still came back with another plugged EGR cooler. It got so bad that when they returned for the 2nd egr cooler, we just simply replaced the short block and EVERYTHING in the entire cooling system, including the heater core and any other non ford item that was attached to the cooling system. That engine was the FU from International, i can honestly say i had replaced sooooo many 6.4 engines i have lost count i will bet easy me alone replaced 75 in the years they were still under warranty, an we had two other diesel techs doin the same thing, then multiply that by all the other ford shops All doing the same thing. That doesnt even BEGIN to count how many high pressure fuel pumps we replaced because the crankcase would overfill due to the seal on the pump would fail, or camshaft failures, or rocker arm failures..I had a cab remove an reinstall down to 45 minutes!!!

it was really a shame cause the frame an the body were awsome an would really hold up well, however after the warranty was done people would just get rid of the whole thing running or not

Mystery vacuum line
Ivan K

Woody, a different coach but on ours the only vacuum line going out through the firewall is for air recirculation actuator, driverside of the external air intake, above the generator. You may not notice whether it works while stationary but it makes a big difference for cooling. It gets turned on with Max Air.

Air conditioner mounting
Walker

Ok, the opening in the ceiling has a metal support "box" lining the opening.  The rear of the opening has the ducts on either side.  There is no support framing around the ductwork.  The return air grill bracket is maybe 18 guage sheet metal with support running along the front and back, nothing on the sides spanning the duct openings.  I took some 1x1x1/8" aluminum and riveted it to the return grill bracket.  Worked out good, bolts are torqued, gasket is set.

20210627_124019.jpg

Free air conditioners and 5 button thermostat
Walker

I have a penguin 13.5k heat pump that works (but seems low on charge) a penguin II 13.5k heat pump that a line cracked and lost all charge, and a black 5 button thermostat that works fine. If anyone wants them or parts from them, they are free if you pick up or pay shipping.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.