Generator quit running

tmw188

Thanks Richard I did see that in the manual. I didn’t however leave the mounting nut loose. I probably don’t have it tightened anymore than one flat.  I will have to back out of this and start over. The fitting did thread on by hand with no difficulty and no resistance with the wrench until it bottomed out.  I’m curious though outside of this why that other seat looks different. 

That fixed the problem. Loosened the feed line loosened the mounting nut. Pulled away the feed line to inspect for damage by feeling the flare. All seemed fine. Resecured the line then tightened the mounting nut. Very important step Richard that I didn’t do. I felt confident that was going to fix it. Now we will move onto something else. 🤪

• 1 month later...

My fuel gauge is acting up and not sure how low we got. 65 gal brought it up to almost full. Gen would start and shut down after 10 seconds or so. Read about the 1 min push of the "stop" on the button running the fuel pump which is easy to hear running. Run time went to maybe 20 seconds. After 3 or 4 times, gave up on this approach. Changing oil so pulled the driver side panel off. Only 216 hrs on 2004 generator but oil not changed for two plus years. the rubber line from the filter runs up to a banjo fitting on the injector pump. A small hex bleed bolt screws into the bolt that holds the banjo on. Used 1 gal water jug with 1/2 the top cut out leaving the handle to catch about a quart of diesel from the pump. Tightened up bleed and generator started up and ran for 15 minutes to warm up oil. Later loaded up both AC units and water heater at 30 amps and ran fine. 

I looked all thru the Onan manual for the location of the air filter. Not shown on the one view with the side covers off and most of the stuff labeled. I did find it in the schematic of the induction system.  from this, I determined it was at the passenger side lower down. Tucked up in the air inlet under the generator. Easy to get to while laying on your back.

I did an oil flush since it had been a while since changed. 3 oz Seafoam and ran no load for 15 minutes. When I removed the oil drain plug, lots of velocity as the oil hit the pan and splashed a lot. Re-installed plug and added 2.5 quarts of regular oil. ran 20 minutes. this time I used the cut off top water jug to catch the oil stream. No splashing. second batch of oil mixed with the cup of oil in the filter. It had picked up some dark stuff. Not sure if it was worth the expense to flush the system. Good for 150 hours till next oil change.