Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/468-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Brake Drums 2006 Diplomat
Bob Nodine
MCD guru needed
Bob Nodine
Frank McElroy
RF197 Samsung Refrigerator
Dr4Film
MCD guru needed
woodylmiller
Water Pump Pulsating Water
Pepperell
Closet Door Latches
cbr046
Antifreeze change
JDCrow
Closet Door Latches
Dale n Deb
Closet Door Latches
tmw188
MCD guru needed
Jim McFarland
Free air conditioners and 5 button thermostat
Gary 05 AMB DST
Generator quit running
tmw188
Generator quit running
Ray Davis
Generator quit running
tmw188
Generator quit running
Ray Davis
Tow Shield
Corgidad
Generator quit running
tmw188
Closet Door Latches
Dr4Film
Tow Shield
Ivan K
Cooling system capacity
tmw188
Tow Shield
KevinH
Generator quit running
Chuck B
Generator quit running
tmw188
Racor 300/200 fuel filter.
Romeo84
tmw188
Trouble getting leveled
Donflem
Gary 05 AMB DST
Cooling system capacity
millionroy
Closet Door Latches
Gary M
Trouble getting leveled
Gary M
Turn Signal Mechanism in Steering Column not working
gregolson65@yahoo.com
JDStew
MCD guru needed
woodylmiller
Mystery vacuum line
woodylmiller
Mystery vacuum line
Ivan K
Trouble getting leveled
Steven P
Tow Shield
The Hales
vanwill52
Scotty Hutto

Bob Nodine
10 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

My coach is at Jack's as we speak having the front bearings replaced (I had a bad bearing) and new brake drums and shoes installed.  Garrey was super helpful.

Great Scotty. When you talked to me on the phone you did not tell me it was only the three small holes that were not on the substitute drums. I would have told you that they are not necessary. As the other poster said they only keep the drum in place when the wheel is off. No way that drum is going to come off when the wheel is on.

MCD guru needed
Bob Nodine
5 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

Front shade will not program with the ignition on.  Ignition off and the shade works.  During programing attempt we are not getting the beeps to begin the programing process.  Shade visor works fine.  We noticed there is a brown wire coming from the shade motor that appears to go nowhere.  Talking with the MCD tech I was told that the brown wire is powered with the ignition on and that is the safety wire that prevents the shade from coming down while the ignition is on.  Pulled the cover off the corner pillar post since that is where the end of the brown wire was.  I was hoping to fine the other end of the brown wire, but it's not there.  The brown wire looks as though it was cleanly cut. ???  There is a yellow wire that goes nowhere from the visor part and it has a butt splice that was not crimped on the empty side of the barrel, if that makes sense.  There are five wires in a loom coming from the dash up that pillar, all appear to be cleanly cut.  There is a brown wire in the group but no power with the ignition on.  Is it possible that there are two fuses on that shade motor?  One for ignition on, one for ignition off?  There are fuses behind the above dash TV, maybe???  One other thing, the two brown wires are different sizes.  The motor wire is a 18 ga or so, the one from the dash looks to be a 14 ga.  All wires look like they were never stripped or crimped.

Very confusing with a brown and yellow wire, one from each motor that go nowhere, and the yellow wire has a crimped on butt splice only on one side, the empty barrel was not even attempted to be crimped by the looks of things.  Everything has worked with no issue to date.  Thanks,

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Why would you want to program the shade with the ignition on? The brown wire was probably never connected and is used to disable the shade while the vehicle is in motion. 

Frank McElroy

Scotty, thanks for the info.  I'll add it to the next parts list update.

RF197 Samsung Refrigerator
Dr4Film

Great article on how to deodorize a very stinky fridge.

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-get-rid-of-smell-odor-refrigerator

nocreek141

Where are these units located at?

Which TPMS do you use and like/dislike and why?
Steven P

I've had a TST 507 about 2.5 years with no issues.  I just changed 2 batteries for the TOAD. Those are the only batteries that needed changing so far.  I have flow thru sensors for the coach and cap sensors for the Toad.  The only alarms I have had were the low battery alarms.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  

MCD guru needed
woodylmiller

My understanding is that the reason for two different programs on the front shade is to keep the shade from lowering while driving down the road.  With the ignition on the shade only comes down about 10 inches or so and stops and can't go any lower.  I would hate to be going down the highway and have that front shade start to lower and blocking my view of the road.  The MCD tech said the brown wire was this safety wire, but it sure appears the brown wire was never connected to anything that I can see.  At this point I beginning to think the tech wasn't correct and that I need to talk to another tech and check for a fuse somewhere that my have blown.  Up to this point we always had two programs on that front shade.  One for being parked we could hit the cockpit black out and all shades lower to set limits.  The ignition on program removed this set limit on the front shade and only allowed the shade to lower about 10 inches.  This program has no effect on the green visor shade which you can see through.

Woody Miller

Water Pump Pulsating Water
Pepperell

Replacement tank is about $100.  I replaced one that had rusted out.  

Closet Door Latches
cbr046

Sliding mirrored wardrobe doors. 

When we bought the coach the seller said we would break these.  Yup, after 4 1/2 months the first one snapped, and I had been ever so careful, too. 

51glc60qFPL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

http://www.rvdesigner.com/images/products/imageView.asp?id=205&t=items

IMO it's a BAD DESIGN to begin with, and it peels the faux brass off where it rubs the door's plastic frame.  I found replacements . . . . but why if it's just going to break again?

Has anyone replaced with these?

51a2V9ULzqL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Amazon, $5.76 and 15 lbs of pulling force.  Seems like the perfect replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/WOOCH-Magnetic-Stainless-Hardware-Closer-Sliver/dp/B07N2NQ992/

Thoughts?

- bob

Antifreeze change
JDCrow
14 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Hey JD so i was working for ford when International stuck us with that 6.4 POS!!! They discovered when the cooling system had either run low on coolant or sucked air an cavitated the cooling system so bad that it wore a hole thru the front seperator plate an dumped all the coolant into the lubrication system, that once that block had overheated there was NO way to get the stuff out. Even after the manditory 6 hr flush an replace the EGR cooler they still came back with another plugged EGR cooler. It got so bad that when they returned for the 2nd egr cooler, we just simply replaced the short block and EVERYTHING in the entire cooling system, including the heater core and any other non ford item that was attached to the cooling system. That engine was the FU from International, i can honestly say i had replaced sooooo many 6.4 engines i have lost count i will bet easy me alone replaced 75 in the years they were still under warranty, an we had two other diesel techs doin the same thing, then multiply that by all the other ford shops All doing the same thing. That doesnt even BEGIN to count how many high pressure fuel pumps we replaced because the crankcase would overfill due to the seal on the pump would fail, or camshaft failures, or rocker arm failures..I had a cab remove an reinstall down to 45 minutes!!!

it was really a shame cause the frame an the body were awsome an would really hold up well, however after the warranty was done people would just get rid of the whole thing running or not

Agree, the front cover was a nightmare. I replaced my right when I bought it to the updated cover. The only “weak” spot left was the rocker arms. I was just waiting for a tappet to come off and get sucked it. And the Siemens pump, ugg, just the slightest bit of rust and bam, $10k for the fuel system. 

I still prefer that interior though to my current 2017. Was a nice truck. And while the 6.4 was a money pit, if I had deep pockets, I’d own a hopped up one again just for fun. It’s was a screamer 

Closet Door Latches
Dale n Deb

N is that's an interesting idea. I'd like to hear how it works for you.

Closet Door Latches
tmw188

I was just online last night looking for one! I might go ahead and try them, they are less expensive and they won’t break on you. 

MCD guru needed
Jim McFarland

Mine works going down the road or with the ignition off. As the sun comes up or begins to set, you can adjust the shade to keep the sun from our eyes. It would appear that ours is powered through a wire that is continually hot to the switch. 

Jim m

09 Monaco Knight 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Matt, I'll take the 5 button thermostat.

Gary05 AMB DST

gryhester@yahoo.com

Generator quit running
tmw188

Ok my diesel 7.5 gen has been running fine but recently quit. I thought maybe it was the fuel tank being too low, it was at about 3/8 of a tank when it died. After getting fuel a few days later it didn’t make a difference. It will however start and run when primed until the prime runs out. I’m going to change the fuel filter first but the fact that it runs until the prime is used up, does that still lend itself to the fuel filter? I’m assuming the fuel pump is working ok being it is priming, but that is  a manual call for fuel maybe when it’s running it’s not getting voltage. Anyone experience this before? Typical Code 36 

Generator quit running
Ray Davis

When my gen acted similarly it was a broken water pump belt.  It would start & run until the temp sensor would shut it down.  Which mostly wasn't very long.

Generator quit running
tmw188

I’ll feel feel for air flow-thanks

Walker

Gary, it's yours.  Send me an address or you can pick it up.

Generator quit running
Ray Davis

I don't believe the air flow ( fan ) is powered by the belt.  IIRC the belt only turns the water pump.  Remove enough screws on the gen rear panel and you can probably     pull the panel out enough so you can see.

If it is the belt I may be able to offer some tips if you decide to DIY

Tow Shield
Corgidad

Looking for recommendations for a tow shield. New vehicle base plate is a quick connect while old one was not. All Roadmaster components old tow bar and connects had the cross bar and I used the Guardian that mounted to it. Looking at either the Roadmaster 4750 Tow Defender or the Protect a Tow MH9854. If anyone is using either of these I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks all, Mike

Generator quit running
tmw188

I think that’s right, I was thinking that myself. I will let you know for sure. My gen is on a power slide and today is one of the days it doesn’t want to open. I’ll have to check into that too.🤪

Closet Door Latches
Dr4Film

I purchased a number of those plastic latches over a number of years but finally decided not to spend anymore of my hard earned money on a worthless POS. I then purchased two spring loaded shower rods in brass color to match the closest frame so once we have the closet packed and ready to travel I simply adjust the length of each rod to fit snugly into each bottom rail. Those doors have never moved a mm and no more broken latches to replace.

Tow Shield
Ivan K

We use a custom home made version, they both seem similar but their standard versions would not fit our setup, at least at that time. No chips from the motorhome but it does not protect from ongoing traffic debree. Some windshield sand blasting from the roads we take, assuming from opposite traffic but nothing at the front mask. Not too bad and at least 30k miles later, still good. The middle rod just adds unnecessary work IMO.

20210606_132153.jpg

Cooling system capacity
tmw188

Mine took 12 gal 350 ISC Side Radiator I used 

2FBD4234-330C-458C-BE65-E46C311940DE.jpeg

57FDB6AE-2938-4EBB-A03B-ADA6AED70630.jpeg

Tow Shield
KevinH

I wouldn’t recommend the Demco Sentry. It’s not that hard to install but there’s no place to store it when you’re not using it. It came with a bag. But it’s very difficult to get it in the bag when  not using it. 

4287697C-E990-4D2D-A01D-E7797AF5A049.jpeg

Generator quit running
Chuck B

Check the fuel line to and from the genset to the fuel tank.  Pin hole leaks introduce air into the system. IMO, the fan belt can create a lot of problems.  

Like most all systems in a motor home, Preventive Maintaince  (PM) is a recommendation in all the manuals.  Yet, a lot of folks ignore it.  Nothing breaks until you start to use it.  I have always suggest that if your coach has set up for several months, the weekend before you leave on a trip take the coach out to a local campground and live in it for a couple days and nights.    Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Generator quit running
tmw188

Yep on the maintenance. That’s all I seem to do with previous coach but it paid off when I sold it. This coach is only month old to me so I’m doing a lot of maintenance right now to start with a clean slate so to speak. I’ve put about  12 hrs on the gen over the last two weeks while doing things inside and it just quit. It had a complete service in 11/19 then sat almost 1.5 yrs but has ran good since I bought it. I’ll be checking more when the temps drop some. I’ll look at the belt before changing FF. Air filter is brand new and from the looks of the FF it may be too. As soon as the primed fuel is used up it dies.

Romeo84

A while back a member posted they had a few extra Racor fuel filters. If that was you hit me up I'm in need of a couple. 

Screenshot_20210629-164252_Chrome.jpg

Joe E.

Alas, the new turn signal switch did not fix the problem. I traced the wiring and didn’t find any breaks or unplugged connectors. I haven’t found where a ground wire may be grounded. Any help with that would be appreciated. I did a check of all the fuses so I will check them again, then test the flasher relays. Any other ideas?

tmw188

Not me, sorry.

For Sale - Garmin RV 760LMT with Ram Mount Case
RVSSNAKE

Pat,

I just ran across this.

Do you still have it?

Trouble getting leveled
Donflem

I pulled into Branson Missouri today and tried to level with my hydraulic system like I always do but it kept lifting the  motorhome off the ground, So I just air leveled for now I don’t know if I’m just tired doing something wrong or if I have a problem any suggestions from the group?

Thanks Don

2007 dynasty 

Gary 05 AMB DST

Matt, did you get my message?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Cooling system capacity
millionroy

Thank you!  I'll post here after this happens, with my rear mount radiator with CAC above it.

Closet Door Latches
Gary M

These are the three parts to my closet doors. Available at https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/

923FCC9A-F6A7-4839-8E32-CB8368C1718C.jpeg

267248D9-33F0-422C-9CE7-C5AAF945D4ED.jpeg

8E7D417B-F398-4EA1-9C58-A1D40FC7F024.jpeg

Trouble getting leveled
Gary M

This only my opinion! Jacks are for stabilizing not leveling. Level with whatever u choose under your tires then stabilize with jacks. I use four sets of (21026) “Camco Fasten XL 2x2 Leveling Block - Interlocking Design”. Just my opinion. Smile 😀

1- Pick as level of a spot as possible.

2- Use whatever means of leveling your coach by placing supports under your tires to bring coach as level as possible while at ride height.

3- Move slides out.

4- Dump air or not.

5- Lower jacks to stabilize.

If not dumping air, you should also place supports under jacks so as to use minimum amount of fluid in reservoir.

Sounds like ground level is way off. If ground is that far off, move to another site maybe. I just have a Knight with no air leveling, just stabilizers.

gregolson65@yahoo.com

Maybe do a voltmeter check at the signal wire on the connector when you use the flasher. Just to see if a signal is getting through.

JDStew

I assume the drums are not turnable (machinable) to true? Just had my brakes (2003 Camelot 38PST - Roadmaster RR8S) replaced. The guys said they have never had to replace drums. I'd love to see pictures of your drums and what caused them to be unusable. 🙂

MCD guru needed
woodylmiller

Got out my MCD owners manual to double check.  We have the Gold Series with the Duo something or rather.  CRS is kicking in.  Anyway, there it is in picture form; brown wire goes to ignition on and there are two sets of programs.  Once the ignition is on the front shade, not the visor, can not go any further down than 15 inches.  After reviewing the electrical drawings I am no closer to a fix.  I have ordered one of those snake cameras to be able to search around in places I can't see.  This system was working just as described in the owners manual.  We have programmed that shade many times in the past.  Right now we are in the middle of that heat in the pacific northwest.  110 out, this project is on hold for a few days.  Unfortunately the coach is not inside or under shade, we never have this kind of heat being this close to Canada.  So one way or another I'm going to get ignition on power to that brown wire.  If my DW, co-pilot, was ever driving and that rolling computer/house on wheels decided to lower that shade, well let's just say we'd have to throw her underwear away and I'd have a heart attack.  Me, I'd grab that shade and yank it off it's supports and keep going.  LOL.

Woody Miller

PS: There is nothing that would keep us from driving the coach, I can adjust the shade at whatever level I like before we head out.  I just like that safety feature of limiting the downward travel of that shade.

amphi_sc
12 hours ago, Steven P said:

I've had a TST 507 about 2.5 years with no issues.  I just changed 2 batteries for the TOAD. Those are the only batteries that needed changing so far.  I have flow thru sensors for the coach and cap sensors for the Toad.  The only alarms I have had were the low battery alarms.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  

Steven, I bet you have a color monitor.  From what I have seen, TST did not break the operation of that monitor as they did with the monochrome monitor.  That monitor was still under development and not quite generally available when I bought my system.  Mike Benson spoke of it as it was still a work in progress when I was inquiring, and he never mentioned that the then currently available monitor would soon start to fail with false alarms.  Who knows how long this monitor will work until TST implements another change breaking that installed base too and leaving you "out to dry".  I agree, the batteries last a reasonable length of time and are easy to replace.

Mystery vacuum line
woodylmiller

Ivan, does it make sense that the line is twice the size in diameter of the single vacuum line leaving the pump on the firewall?  It does head that way from drivers side to curbside where the vacuum is located on my coach.  And the presence of that gray foam on a section of that line behind the instrument cluster.  So if it did go through the firewall it could not go far and I just don't see anything that is could reach or control.  Now, if a person was to go to the right that would make that hose a little longer to reach something in the middle of the firewall, above the gen.  ????  I was looking for something more around straight ahead of the steering wheel.  I guess I'll take another look.  But, the length of hose between the end and the foam is about a foot, a little less really, so it would have to be something mounted to the firewall.  Thought I would take a few minutes and "clean up" some of the "stuff" under the dash while I was in there installing the new cameras and monitor, boy did I open a can of worms.  Splices, black tape, ty-raps and no documentation.  Did find a constant on voltage for the monitor during my looking around.  I have no idea what it was there for, it's not a factory splice, just a wire with a fuse holder just hiding out in there with all the other "stuff".  Without documentation a ten minute job turns into a week.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Steven P
29 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

Steven, I bet you have a color monitor.  From what I have seen, TST did not break the operation of that monitor as they did with the monochrome monitor.  

Mine is not the color monitor.  I have the monochrome version.  

Mystery vacuum line
Ivan K

Our configuration seems quite different and years apart. I can't think of an other use for vacuum other than HVAC in our coach... I have a bank of vacuum solenoids in place of vacuum switch and these have sort of an "exhaust " port, to relieve vacuum, with a filter on them. Don't know if your oversized line could have the same relieve function...

amphi_sc
13 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Mine is not the color monitor.  I have the monochrome version.  

If it looks like mine in the picture showing the false high pressure alarms, then just more evidence I got new old stock as the design change was introduced into production.  I always thought the monochrome was easier to read as it never needed the optional sun shade.

Rear AC compressor turns on then off quickly
Steven P

I thought I'd give an update.  After 2 to 3 weeks of the AC doing well,  it started short cycling again.  I realized that w the front AC set several degrees higher than the bedroom, the rear would cycle more often and sometimes short cycle.  When I lowered the front room temp, the rear did better.  When it started short cycling, I had installed the little sensor cover under the picture just for comparison and that made changes even though the sensor's position was relatively the same.  I did a hard reset on the thermostat w no change. Now I have the pic down again and the sensor moved and will see how it goes.  That sensor seems to be very sensitive. 

Steven P

@amphi_sc here is a pic of mine.  I believe I got it about 2.5 years ago.  No readings showing  as I just turned it on. 

20210629_213141.jpg

Trouble getting leveled
Steven P

My levelers were set to auto and one night the whole curbside was lifted off the ground.  I recalibrated the system but since then I have only manually leveled.  I have hydraulics, no air leveling. 

Tow Shield
The Hales

Protect a tow for 3,000 miles without a peck on 2020 Jeep Wrangler.  Middle pole has bent slightly but no negative  effect.

vanwill52
On 6/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

Found it!

The drums are made by Webb Wheel Products, part number 65555B.

https://www.webbwheel.com/online_catalog_drumdetail.php?dn=65555B

Found them in Birmingham for $1k/ea. 

Scotty

Scotty, that's where I found my drums for front of 2000 Dynasty several years ago.  No, the three small holes don't matter, and neither does the size of the stud holes...the drums are hub-centered. To keep down the number of part numbers, at the time I bought them, they were available with only the largest available wheel stud hole.  The drums are hub-centered, and the size of the wheel stud hole does not matter since the total clamping force of the wheel studs exceeds the braking torque available to make them "slip" on the hub.

Scotty Hutto
3 hours ago, JDStew said:

I assume the drums are not turnable (machinable) to true? Just had my brakes (2003 Camelot 38PST - Roadmaster RR8S) replaced. The guys said they have never had to replace drums. I'd love to see pictures of your drums and what caused them to be unusable. 🙂

Drums that large aren’t typically turned is what I’ve been told by those more knowledgeable than me. 

Unfortunately, I didn’t take pics, but the driver’s side front drum was cracked all the way through — you could see a big crack on the inside of the drum and the same crack - slightly less obvious - on the outside. I’m no expert, but I sure didn’t want to drive anywhere with it like that!  The passenger side front looked to have gotten overheated, but no cracks. 

Jim Byrd

When I checked with Webb a couple of years ago they informed me that the 65555B was no longer in production and they didn't have an alternative drum.

Mine wasn't tunable do to heat cracks and deep groove that exceeded max. ID.

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.