Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/469-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Tow Shield
Hypoxia
Brake Drums 2006 Diplomat
Steven
Mystery vacuum line
Ray Davis
Generator quit running
Dr4Film
Generator quit running
Chuck B
Closet Door Latches
96 EVO
Generator quit running
bill_mary_matt
Generator quit running
wamcneil
Generator quit running
Paul A.
Mystery vacuum line
Paul A.
Closet Door Latches
Gary M
Tow Shield
Paul A.
Generator quit running
Dr4Film
Closet Door Latches
96 EVO
Generator quit running
jimc99999
Alternator failed at 90K miles.
McHughes
Mystery vacuum line
Ray Davis
Generator quit running
bill_mary_matt
GPS
Pepperell
Generator quit running
Ray Davis
Generator quit running
Chuck B
moxy1962
Attention all DIYs
Rikadoo
Generator quit running
tmw188
Generator quit running
tlhurlbut
Generator quit running
tmw188
Air Dryer replaced, no air pressure since
mitchellg2241
Closet Door Latches
96 EVO
Attention all DIYs
tmw188
Closet Door Latches
Dr4Film
Closet Door Latches
96 EVO
Closet Door Latches
Dr4Film
Closet Door Latches
Gary M
mitchellg2241
Generator quit running
Ray Davis
Generator quit running
tmw188
mitchellg2241
Generator quit running
Ray Davis

Tow Shield
Hypoxia

I use a Protect a Tow which was given to me, Ivan's setup is as good or better.   After a few thousand miles I still think it is worth having.  I never remove it except at the stick house.  I just fold it over on top of the tow bar when parked.

Brake Drums 2006 Diplomat
Steven

Please all Veurinks 616-965-9633 give them your vin number and they will give you the replacement parts or get them for you.

good luck,

Steve.

Mystery vacuum line
Ray Davis

Could it possibly be an air line for the entry door inflatable gasket?

Which TPMS do you use and like/dislike and why?
Dr4Film

Steven, you master control looks different than the one pictured by Al. Big difference in that yours has control buttons placed on each side of the front with TST on the front top and their web site address along the front bottom. Plus Ed has the colored version.

Generator quit running
Dr4Film

Todd, code 36 is a fuel fault. I would suspect the fuel filter to be the culprit first then proceed onto other possible causes as described in the troubleshooting manual section.

saflyer
12 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Steven, you master control looks different than the one pictured by Al. Big difference in that yours has control buttons placed on each side of the front with TST on the front top and their web site address along the front bottom. Plus Ed has the colored version.

Mine is the same as Steve’s but color. You can’t see the buttons because of the screen shade.

Ed

Generator quit running
Chuck B

I installed a small Racor marine 10 micron water fuel separator to the incoming fuel tine to my genset.  I mounted it to the outside of the genset on the drivers side.  That way I could replace the filter very easy.  I could also see if any bad diesel fuel is in the bottom of the separator.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Closet Door Latches
96 EVO

Gary, that part you show in your first pic is prone to breaking as well. Even installed one that only lasted one closing.

I replaced them with small blocks of hardwood with grouves cut in them. These are holding up well after several years.

Generator quit running
bill_mary_matt

I had the same symptom last month on our way home. Changed the fuel filter runs fine now. 

Generator quit running
wamcneil
56 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

I installed a small Racor marine 10 micron water fuel separator to the incoming fuel tine to my genset.  I mounted it to the outside of the genset on the drivers side.  That way I could replace the filter very easy.  I could also see if any bad diesel fuel is in the bottom of the separator.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

I might do that. Changing the filter inside the housing is a big messy PITA. And I’d sure like to have some visibility into the generator fuel supply 

Cheers

Walter

Generator quit running
Paul A.

I replaced the fuel filter on the Kubota Generator engine & mounted a Garber R Fuel Filter on the rear Generator enclosure panel. Same as for the Aquahot. 

Mystery vacuum line
Paul A.
3 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

Could it possibly be an air line for the entry door inflatable gasket?

You mean the door seal?

14 hours ago, woodylmiller said:

Ivan, does it make sense that the line is twice the size in diameter of the single vacuum line leaving the pump on the firewall?  It does head that way from drivers side to curbside where the vacuum is located on my coach.  And the presence of that gray foam on a section of that line behind the instrument cluster.  So if it did go through the firewall it could not go far and I just don't see anything that is could reach or control.  Now, if a person was to go to the right that would make that hose a little longer to reach something in the middle of the firewall, above the gen.  ????  I was looking for something more around straight ahead of the steering wheel.  I guess I'll take another look.  But, the length of hose between the end and the foam is about a foot, a little less really, so it would have to be something mounted to the firewall.  Thought I would take a few minutes and "clean up" some of the "stuff" under the dash while I was in there installing the new cameras and monitor, boy did I open a can of worms.  Splices, black tape, ty-raps and no documentation.  Did find a constant on voltage for the monitor during my looking around.  I have no idea what it was there for, it's not a factory splice, just a wire with a fuse holder just hiding out in there with all the other "stuff".  Without documentation a ten minute job turns into a week.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Is your door seal working?

Closet Door Latches
Gary M
37 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Gary, that part you show in your first pic is prone to breaking as well. Even installed one that only lasted one closing.

I replaced them with small blocks of hardwood with grouves cut in them. These are holding up well after several years.

Can u post a picture? 

Tow Shield
Paul A.

I had a Roadmaster Rock Guard and the parking bracket for it when not needed, or parked. Worked great 10 years full timing.

Generator quit running
Dr4Film

Here is a photo of Chuck's Racor Fuel Filter he added to the side of the generator. The OEM fuel filter can be seen in the second photo near the bottom of the generator and it is silver in color. It is to the bottom left of the black oil filter. In order to remove it you have to maneuver it in a specific manner to get it out of the small space where it sits.

Onan QD7500 Fuel Filter.JPG

Onan QD 7500 Oil Filter.JPG

Closet Door Latches
96 EVO

I'll try.

Generator quit running
jimc99999
26 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

The OEM fuel filter can be seen in the second photo near the bottom of the generator and it is silver in color. It is to the bottom left of the black oil filter. In order to remove it you have to maneuver it in a specific manner to get it out of the small space where it sits

There is a trap door under the fuel/oil filters, unless your slide blocks that for some reason. That will let the fuel filter easily drop out the bottom. 

McHughes

Ordered the Delco-Remy 28SI to replace the Leece-Neville 2824LC. 

Mystery vacuum line
Ray Davis
2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

You mean the door seal?

Yeah, that's what I mean, door seal 

Generator quit running
bill_mary_matt

There’s a good YouTube video on the filter change. 

GPS
Pepperell

I attached small angle brackets to two of the screws that hold down the dash access hatch.  Then I attached an 18” by 1/2” by 1/2” piece of aluminum stock.  I have Ram mounts attached to that.  I currently have an Eeztire, an old Garman, an iPhone 6s Visible running Waze, and a 7” Android tablet running Copilot truck.  Puts everything within my sight line.  No holes in the dash.  

Generator quit running
Ray Davis

I've changed my gen fuel filter many times.  It's a PITA.  I used to use the little door on the bottom but my coach has a cross bar about mid way of the door and the door will not open wide enough.  So I would always remove the 2 screws holding the door and just remove it.  Now that I'm 80 I really don't like laying under there so now I remove the gen side panel which allows easy access to the fuel and oil filters.  After seeing Chuck's filter mounted externally I may rig one up.

For Sale - Garmin RV 760LMT with Ram Mount Case
cpat_39

Yes, I have not sold. We are on the road until the 5th. Can ship that day if still interested. Need full address to send. Will do USPS Priority

Pat

Generator quit running
Chuck B

Every time I changed the genset filter I got a arm pit full of diesel fuel.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

moxy1962

You will need a diode and use your ignition wire to activate alternator if you are staying with Duvac style system 

Attention all DIYs
Rikadoo

So I have been wanting to change the oil in my differential for a while, however the cost of oil especially synthetic has gone thru the roof. so I have been trolling everywhere for a good price. Today I just bought Delo rear differential synthetic 75w-90 for 7.99 a Qt at Auto Zone. When I got there there were none on the shelf, I asked if they had any in back, they had 2 cases on the sticker it says its a 500,000 interval oil AND is GL-5 rated!!!

2CC9E46B-8C44-4F56-BC23-08CD6C8AC8A5.jpeg

amphi_sc

A little more history of the design failures of the TST product.

In 2020, Jim (of TST) publicly stated TST made a design change in 2015 that would break the existing systems.  Potential future failures unbeknownst to me, in the spring of 2016 I researched systems and after talking with Mike B (also of TST) made what I thought at the time was a good choice and go with the TST-507 and not wait for the color monitor as color can be hard for me read.  No clue from TST the system I was purchasing AFTER the internal design change was going to have a design issue.  A design change was never ever mentioned!  The system worked very well for a while, then I noticed a couple instances of these seemingly random high pressure alarms on the way back from the boonies of Newfoundland in 2018.  Figuring batteries were going out I replaced them.  But traveling season was basically over and the rare failures dropped from my radar as the coach was parked. In 2019, my system worked up in the boonies of Alaska but upon returning to the lower 48 I started getting false alarm failures more often.  Again no clue that TST had broken my system.  If the antenna had broken off, or display went black I would assume just normal use wear and tear failure and oh well things happen.  I did have one flow thru sensor case crack and develop a slow leak, but I wrote that off as things happen and just bought a new one.  But to find out TST KNOWS and acknowledges they broke my system is another thing, and they make no reasonable attempt to make it right is just not right.  With them ignoring their problem I have to wonder if indeed it was planned systemic obsolescence.  Given what Jim says is only a few affected units, I'm sure their cost to ship a unit correcting the design issue is less than the time Jim wastes reading this, or hearing feedback from seminars/rallies/campfire chats where this problem is and has been easily demonstrated and discussed.  Instead they want their customers to buy a fix that isn't the customer's fault.  When my system works, it functions great and I will readily say so.  When it gives false high pressure alarms it is not so great.  In the past I have dealt with many other companies that do the right thing.  So far it appears TST's corporate culture is different.

I am glad for all of you that have functional (at least for now) TST-507 systems.

ncjimgr

Al,

Please don't paraphrase what I said or Mike B said. I said a firmware change was made by the factory and some older TST displays were effected. As we sell more new systems (therefore keeping us in business), the issue can be more pronounced. Most of the people that have this issue recognize that they have gotten a good amount of use out of their system and are willing to update to newer technology at a reasonable price. They purchase a new color or grayscale display which has more innovations than your system.

The term "Broke the System" was never used by us! That is your term. In your case, to correct the high pressure readings when you are around a newer system, you will have to update your display. You were told that. Technology marches on in most products and we are no different. I am sorry you are disappointed with your system, but there is a fix for it. I know you want a new display and we did offer that to customers 2-3 years ago for a short time when we were made aware of the intermittent issue. We always try to be aware of the customers needs. If you had called us back then and discussed the issue you were having, we could have helped you. You did not. Now you are on this forum, seemingly trying to turn people against the TST system. In my book that is not a nice thing to do, and yet you still use our system because it is very good! I will not continue to go back and forth on this issue. We both have stated our case. This is my last post on the subject.

JimG
206 Camelot

Generator quit running
tmw188

Well it was the filter, however I have some seepage now at the fitting going to the filter from the pump. I tightened it sufficiently for a flared fitting but I needed to continue to tighten a little more while checking for leaks. After looking at the inside of the other filter it doesn’t appear to be a flared fitting but maybe has an oring style seat instead. The other end (small end)of the filter leading out of the filter Does look like a flare style seat. So I’ll need to pull it off again because it shouldn’t need to be any tighter than it is. We will see. 

3 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

I've changed my gen fuel filter many times.  It's a PITA.  I used to use the little door on the bottom but my coach has a cross bar about mid way of the door and the door will not open wide enough.  So I would always remove the 2 screws holding the door and just remove it.  Now that I'm 80 I really don't like laying under there so now I remove the gen side panel which allows easy access to the fuel and oil filters.  After seeing Chuck's filter mounted externally I may rig one up.

That’s unfortunate and sounds like it is a PITA. My door drops down vertically totally out of the way. 

Generator quit running
tlhurlbut

Hello  tmy188.  I also added a  Racor 10 micron filter an the left side of my generator.  It makes monitoring the fuel quality and changing the filter is much easier then the ONAN filter.  As a side note, while I was adding the Racor 12T filter project, I extended electrical leads from the back of the generator to the left front side of the generator so if its ever necessary to jump start the generator, I don't have to crawl so far under the coach to attach the jumper cables.  Terry  H 2005 Camelot 

BatteryCableExtension.jpg

GeneratorFuelFilter.jpg

20160822_133811.jpg

20160823_105241.jpg

Generator quit running
tmw188

Nice upgrade, but I doubt I’ll be doing that. I like the idea of the water separator filter. 

BTW you can’t get a line wrench on the rubber hose fitting leading to the engine. It’s a 7/16 and you can’t slip it over the hose to get it on the nut. I opted to use a slim crescent wrench to get a better tighter fit on it because the 7/16 wrench seemed like it wanting to start to slip. It was successful. 

5BFAFF89-8562-4F1A-8C1C-9273ED6A83F4.png

amphi_sc

Jim,

"I know you want a new display and we did offer that to customers 2-3 years ago for a short time when we were made aware of the intermittent issue."

Makes my point exactly that we are left out to dry (my phrasing) when we finally find the problem, especially when we buy a system in good faith AFTER TST made the (to use your exact words) "firmware update".  By the time there are enough systems out there so the "firmware update" becomes noticable to existing systems that "do not know how to interpret" them, TST decides "no longer giving" the solution is appropriate.  Per your request, when demontrating and discussing, I'll use your exact cut 'n paste words of "will read those high PSI numbers if the coach gets close to a unit that has one of our newer systems" and "do not know how to interpret the updated signals when they receive them.  They then display 200-600+ PSI.".  Given the easily demonstratable facts, people can decide for themselves if it broke the system.

As you stated, we both have our positions and will continue to stand by them.  I will also agree to make this my last post on this thread.  As you have gotten many good years out of your '06 Camelot by now, when are you going to "update" to a 2022 or newer coach and take advantage of the newer DEF and DPF technology?

mitchellg2241

2001 40' Monaco Diplomat 330 Cummins Roadmaster Chassis

Had a mechanic replace a 10 year old air Dryer.

Driving home every time I braked air pressure would go lower but never would build higher.

Any ideas?

2001 40' Monaco Diplomat 330 Cummins

Mitchell of Florida

John Haggard
1 minute ago, mitchellg2241 said:

2001 40' Monaco Diplomat 330 Cummins Roadmaster Chassis

Had a mechanic replace a 10 year old air Dryer.

Driving home every time I braked air pressure would go lower but never would build higher.

Any ideas?

2001 40' Monaco Diplomat 330 Cummins

Mitchell of Florida

Did the mechanic replace the whole dryer unit ?

Or just the dryer filter ??

Big difference 

Closet Door Latches
96 EVO

Lets try this.

The blocks are made from leftover 3/4" oak tongue & groove flooring. The groove is the perfect size, and place for the latch to hold the door nice and tight.

I sanded off the gunstock stain and made my own cherrywood. Could have been a little darker, but, I'm not a perfectionist. 

20210630_134444.jpg

20210630_134557.jpg

Attention all DIYs
tmw188

How many miles you have on that rig?

Closet Door Latches
Dr4Film

Ben, it appears that your latching mechanism is not the same as some of us that have older coaches.

Closet Door Latches
96 EVO
2 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Ben, it appears that your latching mechanism is not the same as what people are discussing on this thread that had a plastic latch as seen in the very first post.

Yeah, that post was for Gary, who appears to have the same latches as myself.

Closet Door Latches
Dr4Film

Got it. Thanks.

Bill D's Monacoers' Gathering Update!!
tmw188

I stubbled upon this Gathering and would like to attend being we will only be about 35 mi away. I would have not known of this if I didn’t happen on to it. I’m knew to the Monacoers but wish I would have received an email telling me about it. Hope to make the decision soon and get signed up.

Closet Door Latches
Gary M
48 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Lets try this.

The blocks are made from leftover 3/4" oak tongue & groove flooring. The groove is the perfect size, and place for the latch to hold the door nice and tight.

I sanded off the gunstock stain and made my own cherrywood. Could have been a little darker, but, I'm not a perfectionist. 

20210630_134444.jpg

20210630_134557.jpg

Nice job 👍.

96 EVO

How short of a ride home was this?

Wouldn't take too many stops before your tank pressure would get low enough to put on your emergency / parking brake, if no air was getting from your compressor to your tanks.

mitchellg2241

Just the filter.

I had all filters changed, fuel, oil and air dryer.

Very  few traffic lights or stops to home, but just made it.

Generator quit running
Ray Davis
2 hours ago, tmw188 said:

Well it was the filter, however I have some seepage now at the fitting going to the filter from the pump. I tightened it sufficiently for a flared fitting but I needed to continue to tighten a little more while checking for leaks. After looking at the inside of the other filter it doesn’t appear to be a flared fitting but maybe has an oring style seat instead. The other end (small end)of the filter leading out of the filter Does look like a flare style seat. So I’ll need to pull it off again because it shouldn’t need to be any tighter than it is. We will see. 

It's been a while since I've replaced my filter but I'm pretty sure there was not an o ring in there.  I believe your leaking line is a rigid metal line ( mine is )  and if you  bolt the filter down before starting the fittings it is hard to get it straight,  as in easy to cross thread.

Flare nut wrenches are the tool for those nuts,  available anywhere.    They are made to slip over the tubing but still act as a box wrench See related image detail

Generator quit running
tmw188

I used flare nut wrenches(line wrenches same thing diff name). Finger tightened   very easily many turns. Yeah I wouldn’t think there would be oring especially on fuel,  but the seat looks different compared to the other seat on the filter. I looked at the other filter to see what might be the reason. I know it’s not cross threaded but your suggestion on leaving the nut loose that holds the filter onto the bracket might be the answer anyway, allowing it to float a little. I know sometimes that letting the line float a little might help it square up when tightening. 
Top pic line going to the motor, looks like a typical flare seat, bottom pic line coming from fuel pumps looks different.

DCA7324C-1DCC-48E8-949E-2EEC8A01F779.png

FD21309C-C2C7-4F72-8084-4F83FE391093.png

96 EVO

Hmmm.

So you left the shop with full air tanks. He would have likely drained all three tanks before changing the filter. That air got into the tanks after he put the new filter on somehow.

This one is a headscratcher. 

John Haggard
25 minutes ago, mitchellg2241 said:

Just the filter.

I had all filters changed, fuel, oil and air dryer.

Very  few traffic lights or stops to home, but just made it.

Your relief valve may be bad.

You can buy a re build kit.

Not very expensive. 

The mechanics should have caught this issue with a test drive.

mitchellg2241

I will be speaking to them and I believe they will come out. He mentioned we maybe got a faulty air dryer.

Anything I can check?

Would I hear air leaking or any other simple checks?

John Haggard
17 minutes ago, mitchellg2241 said:

I will be speaking to them and I believe they will come out. He mentioned we maybe got a faulty air dryer.

Anything I can check?

Would I hear air leaking or any other simple checks?

Have them come out

They sent you off with possibly 🤔

A faulty air system. 

Not good at all.

Generator quit running
Ray Davis

It sure seems that you did everything right.   I have had to go back and crank down a little harder before.   Yeah you might loosen the flare nut and the mounting nut so  everything can relax and as you say things can align as you tighten the flare back up.

I usually call them line wrenches too but wasn't sure if that would be as clear to most people. 

Romeo84

Legit just went through this if it's the old Haldex 33100 I received a faulty dryer as  Well…

To start take the control line or unloader line off your air dryer to see if there is coming out of it that will give you almost a clear indication as to why you are not building or pressure.

Simple push fitting use a open ended wrench to push in and pull the small airline out.. Just guessing but with the motor running you probly will have air coming out of that control line.. I'm just finishing up replacing my entire air dryer governor and compressor head. .

The defective unit I received add a badd Turbo valve internally.

mitchellg2241
32 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Hmmm.

So you left the shop with full air tanks. He would have likely drained all three tanks before changing the filter. That air got into the tanks after he put the new filter on somehow.

This one is a headscratcher. 

I was in the RV as it was changed. If they fully drained the tanks I would of heard the low pressure alarms when I started the engine.

Do the tanks ALWAYS get drained when changing the air dryer filter

GPS
ncsteve
7 hours ago, Pepperell said:

I attached small angle brackets to two of the screws that hold down the dash access hatch.  Then I attached an 18” by 1/2” by 1/2” piece of aluminum stock.  I have Ram mounts attached to that.  I currently have an Eeztire, an old Garman, an iPhone 6s Visible running Waze, and a 7” Android tablet running Copilot truck.  Puts everything within my sight line.  No holes in the dash.  

Got any pics of this? Thanks

GPS
JDCrow
7 hours ago, Pepperell said:

iPhone 6s? You can still get apps to run on that? My IPad Air 2 is getting retired as I have apps the won’t run on itZ 

Generator quit running
tmw188

I guess we’re old school guys on that terminology. What was really messed up was you can’t use a line wrench on that one line because it won’t slip over the fuel line to get to the nut. Nothing is ever easy. 

96 EVO
10 minutes ago, mitchellg2241 said:

Do the tanks ALWAYS get drained when changing the air dryer filter

I guess not.

He's relying on the tank check valves. 

I drain my tanks before removing the old filter. The Meritor Wabco dryer uses supply and secondary dry tank pressure to regenerate the desicant filter. Remove one while you still have air in your tanks, you risk the thing blasting out of your hands when you get to the last thread!

*edit* Now I think of it, the air would start releasing as soon as the seal left the housing. Long before you got to the last thread.

Romeo84

When I was changing my air dryer out I took the drain plug off to see if it was dirty and just for kicks..  Mind you the air dryer was off the truck and all the tanks were drained before removing and that plug shot out of the drain like a rocket.  So that drain area must hold at least some air pressure even after draining the tanks.

Tow Shield
Moonwink

Another vote for the Protect-a-Tow here.  I've been using one for years because it's easy and quick to put it on and take it off.  It stores in a bag about 6 inches in diameter and 30 inches long.  I'm on my second one because I've got a tail dragger that worn holes in the first one which I put under the towbar.  I put the new one over the top of the towbar to prevent ruining the new one.  It protects just as well either over or under but there's more chance of dragging a hole in it when it's under the towbar.

https://protectatow.tripod.com/

Attention all DIYs
Rikadoo

Miles ... only 77k However its 19 years old& the manual says 3years max on the oil

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.