Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/470-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Attention all DIYs
tmw188
Entryway Step Light
Hypoxia
Tow Shield
Mike H
GPS
Pepperell
Generator quit running
Dr4Film
Floor Material
Keamyinc
Generator quit running
tmw188
Floor Material
redstickbill
Floor Material
JDCrow
Monroe shocks
Mr Keith
Floor Material
Dr4Film
Monroe shocks
Nevada Rob
Monroe shocks
Idoc57
Floor Material
StephenW
Monroe shocks
Mr Keith
Monroe shocks
cbr046
Monroe shocks
Idoc57
Floor Material
JDCrow
Attention all DIYs
directorsusa
Monroe shocks
cbr046
Attention all DIYs
Ivan K
Attention all DIYs
Rikadoo
Monroe shocks
Mr Keith
Generator quit running
tmw188
Air Dryer replaced, no air pressure since
mitchellg2241
Floor Material
Ernie Ekberg
Alternator failed at 90K miles.
veraken
Mystery vacuum line
woodylmiller
Charging Batteries wih Generator
jacwjames
Timaz996
jacwjames
Timaz996
jacwjames
Ccc2 thermostat programming
Walker
Cubflyer
Carney
cbr046
Walker
Cubflyer

Attention all DIYs
tmw188

Yep that was my next question. The ole forgotten oil change I’ve heard it referred as.

Entryway Step Light
Hypoxia

I installed the new LED Hella Step Lamp  in the stair well.  Quite a bit brighter than the original.  I'll replace the second one today.  On the photo, the lower step has the new LED light.  I have a spare which I would like to use to illuminate the door handle.  How do you folks find the interior door handle at night?  I suppose a strip of reflective tape might help but figure one of you master minds have figured out a solution?

Hella Step Well Light.JPG

Tow Shield
Mike H

I just acquired the Roadmaster Tow Defender last year and am very happy with it.  I like how easy it is to stow.  All I have to do is roll it up on top of my hitch next to my Blue Ox.

20210701_074158.jpg

GPS
Pepperell
9 hours ago, JDCrow said:

iPhone 6s? You can still get apps to run on that? My IPad Air 2 is getting retired as I have apps the won’t run on itZ 

6s is my old phone that’s dedicated to hotspot usage and Waze.  My personal is an XS 512 Gb.  6s feeds the ubiquity external antenna and router when there’s no rv park WiFi.  

10 hours ago, ncsteve said:

Got any pics of this? Thanks

079A950C-E683-4CA9-BE90-CE1FA584121D.jpeg

Generator quit running
Dr4Film

Here is what the Service Manual states for Fuel Filter replacement.

"Installing the Fuel Filter: Rotate the filter half a turn around its mounting stud if the fittings interfere with the bracket. It only fits properly one way. Connect the fuel fittings before tightening the filter mounting nut. Take care not to cross-thread the fuel fittings. Thread them in by hand and tighten one flat past seating. Close the access door and prime the fuel system by holding the control switch down in its Stop position for at least 1 minute. Priming is necessary to displace the air in the new filter with fuel."

Floor Material
Keamyinc

We have a 2002 Windsor and I’m wondering if anyone has pulled up their carpet and seen what type of wood sheeting is under the carpet?

Thanks

Generator quit running
tmw188

Thanks Richard I did see that in the manual. I didn’t however leave the mounting nut loose. I probably don’t have it tightened anymore than one flat.  I will have to back out of this and start over. The fitting did thread on by hand with no difficulty and no resistance with the wrench until it bottomed out.  I’m curious though outside of this why that other seat looks different. 

Floor Material
redstickbill

In my 2004 Endeavor there was two layers of OSB.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Floor Material
JDCrow

OSB, 1-2 very long sheets 

Another layer under the tile. Mine was 5/8” 

F94D667E-9859-4AC6-A95C-C7A305E8812C.jpeg

07355D3A-322A-4C5E-B57A-BB713ADCA598.jpeg

Monroe shocks
Mr Keith

Anyone need a pair of new shocks to replace Monroe 66871. I ordered 2 and received 5😆 and Amazon said keep them. free to a good home. Just shipping. I will find out for sure but I am guessing it would be around $20 they are Monroe   M555014

Floor Material
Dr4Film

When my carpet was replaced back in 2014 I don't really remember what it looked like but I know it wasn't the same stuff pictured above. I have factory installed wood planking from the entry door to the bedroom. The only place I have carpet is in the large salon drivers side slide and the bedroom.

Monroe shocks
Nevada Rob

What coach did you put them on? I need to replace mine but give me a chance to check correct part number/fit.

Thanks, Robert

For Sale - Garmin RV 760LMT with Ram Mount Case
RVSSNAKE

Pat,

Thanks for your reply.

I sent you a message to take this out of forum mode.

Monroe shocks
Idoc57

Yes, I was just getting ready to replace mine.  That would be great!  Thank you!  Can I send you the money for shipping via Paypal?

Thanks, Carey

Floor Material
StephenW

In my 2001 Dynasty I have plywood under the carpet on the slide and OSB under the carpet on the floor as pictured in JDCrow's post.

Monroe shocks
Mr Keith

I put these on a 1986 Governess. I will make sure about the shipping so I know exactly. That’s all I need and will get back to everyone thanks 

Monroe shocks
cbr046

Dang, just missed it.  And my front end bounces more than a chihuahua on a low rider dashboard.

- bob

Monroe shocks
Idoc57

If I am in line for your generous offer, please take my name off the list and let the next guy (I think cbr046) have them.  

Thanks,

Carey

Floor Material
JDCrow

Likewise, my slides have thin luan over the aluminum framing 

5CFAA40A-514D-4380-AE0C-6A845D94DC35.jpeg

Attention all DIYs
directorsusa

How many bottles did you need?

Jarred 04 HR Nav

Monroe shocks
cbr046
53 minutes ago, Idoc57 said:

If I am in line for your generous offer, please take my name off the list and let the next guy (I think cbr046) have them.  

Thanks,

Carey

Turns out these aren't compatible with 2003 Endeavor / Diplomat chassis.  Mr Keith's Monroes (photo and specs at http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/555014/ ) have eyes on both ends and mine are pin type at the top.  *AND* I would need 4 of them for the front axle.  Not sure if mine are original or not, but they are Bilsteins. 

So I defer them to the next next guy in line.

If matching for compatibility be sure you have the right chassis.  RR8R vs RR8S have totally different shock types (pin vs eye).  And having a hard time finding 2003 shocks (but not really something I planned on replacing just yet).  Didn't research RR4R.

Thanks for offering!

Best,

- bob

Attention all DIYs
Ivan K

I don't know how many different axles there are but for our Rockwell I got 5 gallon bucket and it was just enough for the axle and tag oil bath. Changed at around 150k miles. 

Attention all DIYs
Rikadoo

Well i did things like i always have working in the mechanic field, which now im second guessing. I performed my service parked in front of my house, which has like most, a road crown. I had looked in my owners manual and it showed to fill untill its just below the fill plug, so i drained the differential then proceeded to refill. The total amount was 14qts, i had purchased 15 so i had plenty, and somewhere i dont remember just where that was the refill amount, so then i took my old oil to the shop where i used to work an measured the contents. There were only 10 qts that were removed, so given thats a huge difference im going to level my coach today then pull the fill plug to reverify the level. Once i discover if there is or is not a issue i will report back with my findings. 
so everyone knows what prompted my decision to perform this oil change i was getting a “clunk” noise everytime i shifted into Drive, so i had wanted to see what the oil was looking like to see if there was metal possably in the oil or stuck to the magnit in the drain plug , which there was neither.

Who’s at the Monaco pre-rally in Gillette?
Ivylog

I’m on site C-36.

Monroe shocks
Mr Keith

The post office said $23 to ship so if you can use these call me at 727-784-8488 and please leave a message and I will call you back .

Who’s at the Monaco pre-rally in Gillette?
waterskier_1

Rick Nelson E-13 (I think) Red & White Exec.

Generator quit running
tmw188

That fixed the problem. Loosened the feed line loosened the mounting nut. Pulled away the feed line to inspect for damage by feeling the flare. All seemed fine. Resecured the line then tightened the mounting nut. Very important step Richard that I didn’t do. I felt confident that was going to fix it. Now we will move onto something else. 🤪

klcdenver

This thread reminded me that I had not changed the filter on mine. So I changed it today. I am wandering if he missed the internal o'ring on the filter. Drain your tanks and remove the filter and make sure o'ring is in place and the big seal is there and neither are crimped.

mitchellg2241

You guessed it klcdenver

The mechanic just came to my house with an air dryer replacement.

The larger o'ring was not in alignment  and broken.

New one seems to be working.

klcdenver

Glad you are in good shape Happy 4th

96 EVO

Good to hear!

Maybe now he will start draining the air system before changing filters! Would have been caught before you left their shop.

Floor Material
Ernie Ekberg

Come see us for your engineered wood. We can repair damaged OSB.

Ernie Ekberg

Alternator failed at 90K miles.
veraken

I  replaced my 160 amp Leece Neville 2824LC with a 200 amp Delco Remy 28SI. The install was fairly simple except on the DR you don't connect the excite wire since it is self exciting. I had my old LN rebuilt and carry it as a spare.

Mystery vacuum line
woodylmiller

I can see the solenoid/control for the door seal.  The hose is going in the complete opposite direction, from curbside to roadside.   The door seal supply is on the curbside part of the firewall.  Of course the door seal doesn't activate until around 5mph as I recall.  I'd have to check that next time I'm on the road, but who knows.  I can check that with a hand pump though in the meantime just to rule that out.  Been too hot here for outside work.

Woody Miller

jacwjames

So I have 4 new flooded battteries and seem to be doing fine keeping the residential refrigerator running all night.  Went to bed last night with 93% and woke up with ~77%.

I have 325 watt solar panels, not quite enough to keep up, so I have to run the generator just before bed to top off the batteries.

What has me stumped is that while running the generator the % charge showing on the inverter panel is lower but after I shut the generator off the % charge goes up.  Last night when I started the generator I had ~70% charge before but it dropped to ~50% while the generator was running and then when I shut the generator off it climbed to ~93% after 1/2 hour.  It's doing about the same thing now, was 73% of charge but when I started generator it dropped to ~60%.

Whats the trick on getting the display to show actual state of charge.  At some point if/when I use AGS controlled by battery % of charge how does it determine when to shut off it the display is showing lower then actual.

Timaz996

The invert does a poor job of measuring state of charge. You should buy a battery monitor that uses a shunt. This is the only accurate way to measure SOC. Look up a Victron BMV-712, It will be the best thing you ever did for your batteries.

Tim

jacwjames
13 minutes ago, Timaz996 said:

The invert does a poor job of measuring state of charge. You should buy a battery monitor that uses a shunt. This is the only accurate way to measure SOC. Look up a Victron BMV-712, It will be the best thing you ever did for your batteries.

Tim

I will eventually add a battery monitor but my question is how does the inverter work with AGS to start/stop the generator if the display is that wonky. 

Timaz996
1 minute ago, jacwjames said:

I will eventually add a battery monitor but my question is how does the inverter work with AGS to start/stop the generator if the display is that wonky. 

The answer is not very well. The inverter is reading battery voltage so if you put a heavy load on the batteries it will shoe them low and recover after a while like you saw. The BMV will always be accurate. If you use the AGS to start and stop your generator have it shut off at 90%. But again, your only guessing measuring batteries state of charge with voltage. 

jacwjames

I have never used AGS.  I have a document showing recommended settings.  They suggested stop at Absorb. 

I'll check my setting and my actually test it one night. 

Having to run generator & AC's in late afternoon/evening.  Got to 96F at Devils Tower Wy today, may be time to head to cooler weather, where ever that is.

Walker

I installed two new a/c units and a new ccc2 thermostat. Everything works correctly.  When I change zones (I have two), I have to scroll through zone 3 and 4 (non-existent) to get back to zone 1. On zone 3 and 4 it says E1-makes sense since they don't exist.  How do I program zone 3 and 4 out?

Thanks

Cubflyer

Good luck finding cooler weather out west here right now... I was in Denver last week for record setting high temps, now in Nephi UT "enjoying" high daytime temps...

On your battery subject... I have found that my engine driven alternator does not seem to charge my house batteries when I'm on the road.... gen or shore power charges the house batteries, if I select "charge" on my Xantrex panel.  Do I have a problem or a switch-ology problem...?

Ken

Carney

Hey Matt,  I am replacing both Heat Pumps and the CCC with the CCC2,  was wondering if you had the CCC.  If so did the wires all work on the CCC2?  Thanks. Dave C. 2006 Monaco Windsor 

cbr046
1 hour ago, Cubflyer said:

On your battery subject... I have found that my engine driven alternator does not seem to charge my house batteries when I'm on the road.... gen or shore power charges the house batteries, if I select "charge" on my Xantrex panel.  Do I have a problem or a switch-ology problem...?

Ken

Same here on essentially the same coach.  Endeavor manual says the engine should charge the house batts but when I get to my destination first thing I have to do is charge the coach batteries with the on-board genset, (Onan 7500) then I can switch to the quieter external genny (Predator 3500) after the batts have charged. 

- bob

Walker

Carney, everything was plug and play for me. I replaced old dometic(penguins with 5 button ccc) with new dometic(blizzards with ccc2). I have two heatpumps, and two furnaces, but no aquahot. Your new heat pumps must have the new style controllers to be compatible with the ccc2.  If you have any questions, I'll do my best to help.  I installed the pumps, hooked up the wiring, plugged the communication cables in and flipped the dip switches.  It was really that easy.

Cubflyer

Bob,

so it's not a problem with how I have my switches... it's the way things work..... 

When I drive, I've been using the inverter to power the (household) refrig... from the house batteries, as it is now, this leaves me with low batteries when I get off the road, requiring that I either have shore power of run the genset to keep the frig working.... hummm I gotta do something about this....

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.