Replacement for old Duotherms

searchnk9

It’s time to replace the nearly 20 year ducted heat pumps in my 2002 Endeavor. I’ve had two vendors call Dometic and have more than an hour hold time and I sent a query through there contact us in a attempt to find out what the correct new units I need are. So far I haven’t gotten a response. I also need to know what other accessories I need.  Anyone know? I have current model #’s if helpful.

Guest Cruzbill

The Penguin units are low profile, they make a new model (can't recall the name) that is 5" taller, so you probably want to stay with the Penguin units. You will need new '10 button' thermostats, as your old t-stats won't work with the new models. You may have to replace the 'control boards' (one for each A/C unit) too if you have an Aqua Hot furnace that is controlled by your t-stats. I had one A/C heat pump unit go out on my Beaver, so I took the MH to a local shop. How tough can it be to replace an A/C unit? Anyway, they screwed it all up, blew up the other A/C unit as well as the main board for the Aqua Hot. So find someone who really knows RV A/C units, not some local hambone like I found. Good luck. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would go with the Penguin II high-capacity heat pump and the CCC2 thermostat.  I went with the extended 5-year warranty on the units since it was pretty reasonable.  It seems that if these units are going to fail they tend to do it right after the 3-year factory warranty runs out! 

If you replace just one A/C unit you would need to put a new control board in the remaining old one to make it work with the CCC2 thermostat.

Edited by MSHappyCampers
  • Thanks 1

When I was researching replacement Dometic AC units the customer service tech stated that he gets far more repair calls for the Penguin II versus the Blizzard. I was about to order two of them when I discovered that they are taller than the Penguin II's. Since I am height limited when parked under my house with only 2 inches to spare I went with the Penguin II's.

I purchased mine from PPL in Texas when they were having a sale. I bought the CCC-II from a vendor at eBay. I purchased new drain cup kits on Amazon. Installed both by myself except for the help from a neighbor who had a tractor to lift them up to the roof and remove the old ones from the roof.

• Thanks 1

David M

I did the work myself bought the new units and T-Stats from Camperpartsworld  on Ebay they were having a sale. They are located in KY. These units are a couple of inches taller but I am well satisfied with them much quieter and they don't bang turning off and on. Also my old units were 12500 btu and these are 15000 btu

• Thanks 1

With the cost, and problems (especially the reversing valve), on ACs with heat pumps, would you be better off just buying a Penguin A/C without the heat pump and just use your furnace when needed?

Edited by veraken
correction

Reversing valves for the heat pumps are cheap and easy to replace. Plus their failure rate is VERY low and sometimes all it takes is a rap with a wooden handle to free it up.

I have Aqua Hot and use the HP's rarely but I do use them in Florida during the winter time to exercise the generator and the AC/HP's. It's always nice to have a backup plan when things fail which I have had that happen to my Aqua-Hot at the most inopportune times.

I also carry 2-3 ceramic heaters but they don't put out the heat like the heat pumps do.

Edited by Dr4Film

I agree with DR4Film It's always good to have a backup. When I am in Florida on cold mornings my Electric heater in my Aqua Hot will not keep the water up to temperature. and I would have to heat the Aqua hot with diesel. Since I don't pay for electric it is to my benefit to have the heatpump. And these new Blizzard heatpumps heat sufficiently at 30 to 35 degrees.

• Thanks 1

Since I have a "lower end" Diplomat, I don't have an aqua-hot, and use the heat pumps as our primary heating.  We only use the furnace when we "have" to. 

If we're in a place with 50a (or even 30a) service, the heat pumps are less expensive to operate that the furnace (esp if the cost of electricity is included in the campground cost)

The heat pumps have been extremely reliable (ours are 14 yrs old) and are quieter than the furnaces. (Note: I said "quieter" not "quiet" haha!) Plus heat pumps last longer when you use them...  

IF I had an aqua-hot I would likely feel different...

On 3/23/2020 at 12:26 PM, gjh2916 said:

I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty and I just replaced both my Heatpumps with Blizzard NXT units. Also replaced thermostats with CCC2,  my units are each controlled with individual  thermostats so I didn't need to replace any other boards. My coach has Aqua Hot.

Blizzard NXT Install Manual.pdf 3.15 MB · 18 downloads

Hello gjh2916, you stated the Blizzard NXT are much quieter than your old units - did you have Penguin II's?    or ??  I cannot seam to find any information comparing the sound levels for the two.  I would trade clearance height for lower sound levels, as sound is an important part of "comfort" to me.... 

Dennis N - 2005 Windsor.

Dennis N

Mine were the original equipment , Duo-Therm Penguin Low Profile units very noisy especially when turning on and off. Very satisfied with these new Blizzard units. When fan is on automatic and on low speed  they are extremely quiet, noise level picks up as fan increases in speed, but I can still listen to TV with no problem.