Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/472-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Girard Awning
wamcneil
Free Day/Night Blinds, upgrade to MCD
Rich Cutler
Front Run Box Power
woodylmiller
Want to replace system monitor
woodylmiller
Ccc2 thermostat programming
eddie4ne
Tow Shield
Jobert
Charging Batteries wih Generator
Dr4Film
Dr4Film
Timaz996
jacwjames
Front Run Box Power
Bob125
Windshield Replacement
sunnysadog
Windshield Replacement
Gary M
Windshield Replacement
sheena154
Windshield Replacement
BobSchmeck
Windshield Replacement
Karl Hampton
Windshield Replacement
Gary 05 AMB DST

Girard Awning
wamcneil

I had a similar issue but mine would go out, not in. Turned out to be a bad relay on the control board. 
cheers

Walter

Free Day/Night Blinds, upgrade to MCD
Rich Cutler

We just purchased a set of MCD shades at the Perry convention and I just got around to doing the install.  I now have a complete set of day/night shades available to anyone that has damaged theirs.  Take the whole set or part, they are packed in the MCD shipping box ready to go.  Free!!! (except shipping)    Sizes are......

24x29; 60x30; 51x30 two; 31.5x27; 17x23 two  

I also replaced the blind in the bath but it was aluminum slats and available anywhere.  Also, two of the slats had slight bends from opening the window so I junked it.

Email if interested      jrcutler1@gmail.com

If you intend to upgrade your shades to MCD, definitely buy the "better" mounting clips if you will be doing the mounting yourself.   The job is not as easy as it looks, unless you have a small head that can squeeze into a 3" shade box while you place a clip you try to hold in place with tape using your short arms and your shaking benign tremors.  Also, the snap into clips, that take two circus strong men to hold the long blind while pushing into the holding clip.  You soon find out that it takes a large screw driver as a push rod on the bracket inside the shade box to get it to snap into place with at least 50 pounds of force at each clip.  The only easy blind was the bath because I could stand and install it.

Rich Cutler

06' Windsor

Front Run Box Power
woodylmiller

This will work.  I had to "temp" some stuff until I found a shop, REV in Coburg, to put in new switches and use the CADET software to get my Kongsberg going again.  That is all the easy stuff.  We lost the engine brake at times when our system failed.  That was something you can't work around.  Cummins can redo the engine brake set up but that will run probably close to 10 grand before they are done with it.  Having been there, lights and wipers are the least of your problems if your Kongsberg CCM fails.  I would also suggest the mods to step down all  that current in your front run box.  There is a file on how to do it that Frank posted.  It's a cheap insurance against a fire.  If yours is like ours that front run box is fed from 150 amp breakers in the rear run box on 4/0 cable.  I interrupted that feed and took it down to 50 and 60 amp protection in the front run box.  Also, never take "no" for an answer.  We were told by 95% of shops the Kongsberg could never be fixed, it can, as long as the CCM is good.  Good luck.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

woodylmiller

I want to replace my old factory system monitors.  The house/chassis/solar display has a demon.  The fresh/gray/black tank monitor is a joke.  I'd like to clean up the cabinet that houses all this old stuff and replace with some space age displays.  Any suggestions?  I like the see level stuff, if that's the right name for it for the tanks.  The electrical monitor I'm not sure what all is out there.  My current panel displays all kinds of numbers each time I move the switch.  I have one solar panel that at times has displayed nothing or the highest I've seen on it is close to 20 amps which is not possible.  Thanks.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

eddie4ne

Learned the hard way  about the need to set the dip switches, turned on the HP in 30 degree temperature and since the Furnace dip switch was not flipped, we blew the Freon from a relatively new install. Hard lesson learned! Had to replace the AC/HP again!!!

Tow Shield
Jobert

Another vote for the Tow Defender, but I modified ours to go underneath the tow bar similar to Ivan's picture above.  I do use the middle bar, however.  I found that above the tow bar, it left about 1/2 of the front nose exposed to road debris.   We sometimes tow a 13 Challenger R/T and I wanted as much protection as possible for the front of it. Happy Trails Bert

Dr4Film

Jim, I have the same vintage Inverter, Trace/Xantrex RV-2012 and always use the AGS with the RC7-GS remote control. I also have the Onan WIreless EC-30W which I set to Auto whenever we are running the AC and have to leave the coach for any length of time with our dog inside. That will start the generator by using a set temperature or if shore power has been severed whereas the RC7-GS will not until it reaches the AGS Battery SOC set point. I do NOT want the AC to NOT be on while our dog is inside the coach.

I have set the AGS to stop when the house batteries are at Auto Float SOC as I don't mind the generator running longer versus trying to save fuel. That way I know for sure that they are fully charged whereas at any other setting you are only partially charging the batteries. Deep Cycle batteries like to be fully discharged (50% SOC) and then fully charged Float SOC. I have attached a write-up of my RC7-GS settings that I use.

I think this next winter while back home in Florida I will finally install the Blue Sea ML-ACR system. Van Williams had recommended it to me years ago but at that time everything was working as it should but now I am having a few minor issues with the charging system that is causing me some concern.

I will send you a PM when that time comes to discuss the installation with you at length.

Trace RC7-GS Programming List.doc

Air bags on rear road side slow to inflate
Dr4Film

I will only let two shops work on my HWH Air Leveling System, Josam's in Orlando and HWH in Moscow IA.

All others only think they know what they are doing at the owners expense.

Dr4Film
33 minutes ago, eddie4ne said:

Learned the hard way about the need to set the dip switches, turned on the HP in 30 degree temperature and since the Furnace dip switch was not flipped, we blew the Freon from a relatively new install. Hard lesson learned! Had to replace the AC/HP again!!!

We've all had those "hard" lessons in one form or another. Mine was leaving my motorcycle unused for a 6 month length of time during one season with ethanol fuel inside. Now I will only burn non-ethanol fuel PLUS I always use SeaFoam Fuel Stabilizer in the fuel too. That lesson cost me a fuel pump and two new fuel injectors plus fuel lines and fuel tank clean-out along with ancillary items plus labor, over $2000.

Timaz996

I have the SeeLevel and I like it. For solar I use a Victron BMV-712. This uses a shunt to measure battery state of charge. The only true way to measure it. For a solar controller I use a Victron 100/50.

Tim

Who’s at the Monaco pre-rally in Gillette?
Rob M cKeown

rob mckeown o3 sig e-24

jacwjames
2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim, I have the same vintage Inverter, Trace/Xantrex RV-2012 and always use the AGS with the RC7-GS remote control. I also have the Onan WIreless EC-30W which I set to Auto whenever we are running the AC and have to leave the coach for any length of time with our dog inside. That will start the generator by using a set temperature or if shore power has been severed whereas the RC7-GS will not until it reaches the AGS Battery SOC set point. I do NOT want the AC to NOT be on while our dog is inside the coach.

I have set the AGS to stop when the house batteries are at Auto Float SOC as I don't mind the generator running longer versus trying to save fuel. That way I know for sure that they are fully charged whereas at any other setting you are only partially charging the batteries. Deep Cycle batteries like to be fully discharged (50% SOC) and then fully charged Float SOC. I have attached a write-up of my RC7-GS settings that I use.

I think this next winter while back home in Florida I will finally install the Blue Sea ML-ACR system. Van Williams had recommended it to me years ago but at that time everything was working as it should but now I am having a few minor issues with the charging system that is causing me some concern.

I will send you a PM when that time comes to discuss the installation with you at length.

Trace RC7-GS Programming List.doc 29 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks Richard

I had a write up that was posted by another member which has similar settings. 

I've never used the AGS before but now with the residential refrigerator I have to understand and start using it. 

I had to replace my house batteries 6/27/2021 and it made a big difference on power usage using the inverter.  Last night I ran the generator to top off batteries and run AC's since it was in +90F.  Went to bed with 91% battery level and woke up with 71%, enough to run the coffee maker before I hit the road at 6AM (the other campers near me would not have appreciated me starting the gen at 5:30AM🤬)

I had also talked with Van Williams re the Blue Sea.  I was having trouble with the Lambert LE415 battery maintainer and decide to just make the change.  The best price I found on the Blue Sea was here  https://www.fredwarner.net/product/blue-sea-7622-ml-acr-automatic-charging-relay-with-manual-control-marine/   I had it on my front door in 2 days, free shipping no TAX!

It was extremely simple other then running the spare wire to the front.  I removed the isolation relay, mounted the Blue Sean in it's place, hooked up the house/chassis battery cables and then connected the wiring for the remote switch.  Works as it is described.   I've now put ~1600 miles on the rig without a problem. 

I'm at Theodore Roosevelt NP in North Dakota now, temps suppose to hit 100F but I'm at a horse camp with full hookups and both AC running.   

Front Run Box Power
Bob125

Thank you for the info.  I’m in Tennessee, so pretty much on my own.  I never get close to Az and Oregon as I still work full time.  If anyone know of any Kongsberg knowledgeable facilities east of the Rockies please let me know.

I’ve added the 60 amp and 40 amp breakers to the chassis and house power feeds to the front run box. Everything is working good most of the time.  I have an intermittent left turn signal come on solid and the left daytime running light goes off.  I’m working on that now but I think if I turn on the head lights it resets all to normal.

I’m going to make aux power/wiring paths using these front run box power tabs for headlights and wipers next.  That will give me a secondary way to power and switch on/off in case the CCM goes bad.

if I lose the engine brake that is a whole different story.

Thanks for all the help and knowledge.

Bob

2009 Beaver Marquis, Cat C-15

Windshield Replacement
sunnysadog

I went out to the coach yesterday and to my surprise I found the windshield had cracked, in a "Y" pattern starting from the bottom right corner almost to the top.  Coach has been sitting for 8 weeks or so and the crack is recent.  Only thing I can figure is heat from the sun, even though I have a sunscreen on the outside.  Anyway I need to get it replaced.  I am going to Oregon later this month and would like to get it replaced by RV Glass Solutions in Coburg.  My question to this forum is could I just tape the cracks, inside and outside, with good duct tape and be safe driving 500 miles or so to Coburg?  Or would I be better off getting it replaced somewhere in the Sacramento area by one of RV Glass Solution associated glass repair places?  The windshield itself would still be supplied by RV Glass Solutions (this will be the 3rd windshield replacement in 16 yrs).  Thanks.

ArtM,

2005 Windsor PDQ 40ft.

Windshield Replacement
Gary M

Art

I had mine done by USA Glass which Duncan Systems sent me after two failed installs in Grass Valley. They did an excellent job. It hasn't fallen out or leaked like the last two.

3485 Orange Grove Ave H, North Highlands, CA 95660

(916) 978-3550

Windshield Replacement
sheena154

Our windshield cracked repeatedly so we wanted it fixed properly by RV Glass in Coburg since they would dry-fit the new one and find out what was causing the cracks.  (It turned out that our front cap was a little skewed so a fiberglass shop removed fiberglass from one corner and added fiberglass to the opposite corner)  We spent the winter in Arizona and didn't go to Oregon until the late spring and we didn't tape the windshield at all even though the crack was top to bottom.  When they removed the windshield the whole thing was still in one piece so I wouldn't worry about it.  RV Glass did an amazing job!

Tricia Neuzil

'06 Diplomat

Windshield Replacement
BobSchmeck

You would probably be fine. We have taken the windshield repair kit from Walmart $10 or so. We sealed 2 cracks about 18in long. My wife used the plastic sheets at the intersection and at each end of the cracks and equally with how many she had. The rest of the crack just run the glue all along the crack. That was almost a year ago & the crack has not gotten any longer here in the Arizona sun. 

May be a little weird, but it seemed to work.  She has also used the stuff on my cellphone.  

Safe travels 

Windshield Replacement
Karl Hampton

You might contact RV Glass Solutions and ask their opinion. When we did ours there a few years ago, we called and asked- they said it should be safe to drive and explained why because of the way the windshield was made, etc. No guarantee, but they thought it would probably be okay. We drove about 300 miles to their facility with no problem.

PS - they did an excellent job. Would definitely recommend them.

karl 98 Sig

96 EVO

I ended up lowering my AGS trigger voltage to 11.6V so that my morning pot of coffee wouldn't start the generator for no reason.

Once the coffee had brewed, and the load came off my batteries, they would shoot back up to 12.3 - 12.4V.

Windshield Replacement
Gary 05 AMB DST

Art, just curious, is it cracked inside and outside?

Gary 05 AMB DST

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.