Monacoers Daily Digest

Scotty Hutto

Welcome to Bill D's Monacoers' Daily digest for *|date|*

To view this on the web click here: https://www.monacoers.org/newsletters/issue/473-monacoers-daily-digest/.  To respond to a post, click on the post title to be taken to that topic on the website.

Hello *|member_name|*, 

Here's what the Monacoers were talking about yesterday:

Index

Free Day/Night Blinds, upgrade to MCD
lake49068
Tow Shield
BennieH
Charging Batteries wih Generator
cbr046
Tow Shield
David White
jacwjames
slvfox1954
Windshield Replacement
Dr4Film
Girard Awning
cureinc1
Air bag discharge
Steve Hepfer
Windshield Replacement
tmw188
Air bag discharge
vito.a
Air bag discharge
Dr4Film
Windshield Replacement
Ivan K
Air bag discharge
Steve Hepfer
Air bag discharge
Dr4Film
Air bag discharge
cbr046
Windshield Replacement
Gary 05 AMB DST
Attention all DIYs
96 EVO
Air bag discharge
Steve Hepfer
A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating
Mac/air valve replaced and I have an issue.
rusty@kramermetalfab.com
Girard Awning
Biljol
Battery Temperature Sensor
FishAR
Girard Awning
Biljol
A/C Part Identification
Ivylog
A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating
96 EVO
Overheating
Toddgoodwin
Overheating
redstickbill
Overheating
Toddgoodwin
Overheating
Gary 05 AMB DST
Where the rubber meets the road.
Gary Cole
Overheating
millionroy
Overheating
Toddgoodwin
Overheating
RVSSNAKE
Overheating
Toddgoodwin
Overheating
Wrayj1
A/C Part Identification
Harvey Babb
Harvey Babb
Tow Shield
JDCrow

lake49068

Had similar issues with the install!  Found that with my coach it was easier to take down the valence and install the MCD's then put the entire assembly back up.  Two cautions.  (1) Make sure you know your front and back clearance to prevent interference with the window latch.  (2). Where you have a cabinet above the window, attach the lower side screws of the assembly first and use decorative/same color screws through the exposed front upper lip of the valence into the cabinet bottom.  And a drill driver with long extension reduces cramping.

Adam 

2010 Neptune 37PDQ

2019 Jeep Cherokee

Tow Shield
BennieH

We’ve been using the Protect A Tow for 4 years and we’re happy with it. It’s easy to use and set up.

cbr046
9 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

I ended up lowering my AGS trigger voltage to 11.6V so that my morning pot of coffee wouldn't start the generator for no reason.

Once the coffee had brewed, and the load came off my batteries, they would shoot back up to 12.3 - 12.4V.

As your batteries age you'll need to reduce AGS trigger voltage to 11.5 . . . then 11.4, 11.3 etc.  Eventually you'll be making coffee the day before and putting it in a thermos LOL

- bob

Tow Shield
David White

Been using Protect A Tow over 15 years.  It make a big difference in toad damage and is easy to handle, since it’s light weight.  We simply fold it up and leave on the back of our coach while parked.

WARNING- they are not suitable for rear pointing exhausts, since the heat can melt the material.  Only exhausts that point to the side work long term.

jacwjames
4 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

As your batteries age you'll need to reduce AGS trigger voltage to 11.5 . . . then 11.4, 11.3 etc.  Eventually you'll be making coffee the day before and putting it in a thermos LOL

- bob

Good to know, it will be a gauge as to when you need to replace.

slvfox1954

I will take them. I will PM you my info.

Windshield Replacement
Dr4Film

I drove our RV for over 7 years with a quarter size bullet ding from a stone that never spread one mm and a smaller stone ding that did develop into a long crack that traveled through the curved area of the drivers side without it ever causing any problems while driving. Finally had the windshield replaced in Florida at RV Glass Solutions in Lakeland FL.

They did an awesome job!

Don't worry about it. If something does happen then have Coach-Net tow the coach to the glass shop in Oregon. The VERY best towing facility in the entire state of Oregon is called Crocketts Towing. Trust me I know from experience.

https://crockettsinterstate.com/#home

They also did an awesome job!

Girard Awning
cureinc1

We had a similar problem a few years ago. Called Girard and they had me by pass a module that controls the awning. Now works great. 

here are the instructions 

How to fix Girard awning

Locate control boxes

Turn off power at breaker

Locate ACL Current Limiter box

Open the junction box.

there are 4 wires in and r wires out.  All the same color.

remove the control board and wire the four wires in to the 4 wires out to each other of the same color.  Should be Green white black & red.  Use butt connectors.

Use the junction box to keep the butt connectors in

Air bag discharge
Steve Hepfer

I recently pulled into a level concrete pad campsite. Since it was very level I decided not to empty the air bags and level off. After 2 days I noticed that the coach has settled below the normal ride height on it's own. I this normal or do I have perhaps a leak in the airbags. They all seem to have settled uniformly. 

Windshield Replacement
tmw188

If you do tape it, I would probably use some clear packing tape instead. 

Air bag discharge
vito.a

All of these air ride coaches have air leaks.  Usually dozens of small ones.

They are in the fittings or the solenoid orings.  They are easily fixed by someone that cares but almost impossible to find a repairman that can/will fix them.

Air bag discharge
Dr4Film

Steve, do you have air leveling or not? You don't say. If yes, then what brand?

Windshield Replacement
Ivan K

We drove like this for some 6k miles over 7 months long trip until I got home and fixed the damaged window frame when a truck ripped our mirror and more. Clear Gorilla tape from Walmart and some wide awning repair tape was holding it inside and out and from sliding down. The glass was flexing when meeting trucks from opposite direction but held in place. Coach Glass replaced it in my garage, in TX. You should have no problem.

Screenshot_20210704-121858_Amazon Photos.jpg

Air bag discharge
Steve Hepfer

The leveling system is a Power Gear. It is electric/hydraulic 

Air bag discharge
Dr4Film

You don't have air leveling so you don't have 6-Pack Valves to repair.

Coaches will not stay at ride height when the air ride system is off. Leaking down of the two air supply tanks is perfectly normal and any small leak will be almost impossible to find.

If you want to remain level then I would suggest use your electric/hydraulic levelers to keep you level, not your ride height controls.

Air bag discharge
cbr046

And don't level "up" your coach without releasing air from the bags first, basically having pressure on the bags without weight on them.  (I read that in the owners manual).  That said, you could put the jacks down until they just barely touch.  The coach would then settle onto the jacks as the air leaked out. 

Mine leaks down after a few days. 

- bob

Windshield Replacement
Gary 05 AMB DST

Art, helicopter tape was the name of a tape used in Viet Nam on helicopter blades to protect the leading edges from chips. But those dam hill boys in Nascar stole it and call it Racers tape. Amazon has it if you go that route.

Gary 05 AMB DST

Attention all DIYs
96 EVO

Your owners manual called for synthetic gear oil? 

My '08 model uses non-synthetic.

Vector SS Coolant Surge Tank For Sale - SOLD
96 EVO

If your planning on giving Harry Martin a run for shiniest engine compartment, your gona need more than that Scotty :classic_cool:

Air bag discharge
Steve Hepfer

My typical procedure is Slides Out, then dump air, then engage auto leveling system. This trip I didn't dump air or level but the coach lowered itself a good deal uniformly 

Scotty Hutto

I gotta start somewhere…😁

A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating

Greetings all!

I am trying to identify the part that is in the attached photo.

It sits atop the dash air conditioner condenser. It has a plastic cap on it similar to the ones used on the schrader valves. I am chasing a slow refrigerant leak, and when I removed the cap from this part, it was covered in oil. I am guessing this could be the culprit.

Any help would appreciated.

Bob Keating

2009 Cayman

20210704_160120.jpg

rusty@kramermetalfab.com

2000 Dynasty. last fall my step cover would hardly move and Air was hissing. Found out this is a MAC/air valve issue.  Valve replaced. I was very careful to take photos and mark the lines. Photos must have been deleted I can not locate them. 

Air step cover moves so fast with the new valve it is scary. It is like there is no slow bleed like I had previously.  The real issue is my Park brake will not release and the coach will not move.   I am just positive the lines are on the same as the old valve but I must be wrong. Am I safe to switch lines and try them on a different port? There are three air lines and two wires. I switched the wires and nothing seems different.  TIA.  Update. My Haldex Purge is putting out some oily water. New haldex filter kit installed april 2018 and 4 k miles.  Coach is Stored in climate controlled dry building. 

Girard Awning
Biljol

Ok bypassed the voltage limit box no effect.

I was able to be the awning to go out by “hot wiring” the main control box so my guess is there is a bad part in it.

also now that I have manual opened when I go to close the motor runs after the awning is closed all the way. Need to find the adjustment for that. Looking at the manual now,.

FishAR

I put in a new Magnum 2012-20B today. Now my batteries are charging unlike before and everything seems to be working well, I'll check it in the morning to make sure.
The only thing is I checked the battery temp on the remote and it still shows 151C which is 300 something Fahrenheit. I know that's not right.

I got a new sensor and wire with the new magnum. Problem is the inverter is about 20 ft from the battery bank. I pulled on the telephone wire and there's no give there so it doesn't look like I can run the sensor with the new wire connected.

I was wondering if I could splice the new magnum sensor into the old telephone wire run. Some sort of phone wire connector splice?

The old sensor looks nothing like the new one and it looks ratty as all get out.

Girard Awning
Biljol

So after some more work I think the out adjustment screw is not working with the awning in all the way I can hear the click in the control box but the awning does not move I adjusted the out adjustment screw many revolutions in the + direction still no movement my only guess is a bad motor that the adjustment screw don’t work. 

Ivan K

That Mac valve should have an adjustment screw on its side. I also slowed mine down so it would not hit so hard. Don't know about your parking brake, mine have no effect on each other.

A/C Part Identification
Ivylog

Educated guess…an adjustable expansion valve.

jacwjames

Here is a picture of the solenoid with sticky notes labeling each line.  Make sure the supply line is in the right port.  The other two can be mixed up but it should still work.  Since the solenoid is in out switch wires should just switch direction,

Mac Valve with sticky notes..pdf

A/C Part Identification
Bob Keating

Thanks, but the expansion valve and compressor cutout switch are up front on the passenger side. Unless some A/C units have two?

This part looks almost like some kind of needle valve.

Bob Keating

09 Cayman

96 EVO

Yeah, that's a super nice tank, and unfortunately no longer in production.

The rest of us, as our tanks fail are left with the choice of a replacement plastic tank, or aluminum. 

96 EVO

Your safe just to leave it unplugged. It should float charge at 13.4V with no batt temp sensor plugged in.

Overheating
Toddgoodwin

So we headed from Ohio to the FMCA rally in Gillette Wyoming pulling our Chevy Colorado with our 2005 HR Ambassador with the ISO 330 loaded pretty heavy.  Got out to South Dakota and the temps were running in the upper 90s and I started seeing temps over 200 pretty often.  Was running a little slower anyway but the coach seems to run hot.  When I stop for a break cools right back to 180.  Disconnected the truck and let my son drive the final leg in Wyoming and it seemed to still run hot.  Coolant is new and full.  Fan running good and when I stand behind the coach at an idle the air flow seems good.  Am I just trying to do too much on too hot a day?  Thoughts?

Overheating
redstickbill

Have you cleaned the radiator lately, and do you down shift when pulling hills? Being loaded pretty heavy could also be a culprit.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

Overheating
Toddgoodwin

Had the radiator flushed and new coolant put in. Are you saying cleaning the fins?  I have not.  It has had its radiator replaced by the guy I bought it from but it's been a few years and it does look dirty.  What do you clean that with?

Overheating
Gary 05 AMB DST

Todd, my temperature will go over 200 then the fan kicks in and it goes down to 180. I have the Cummins add-on thermostatic fan clutch that was installed in 06, 07. Could you have that?

Gary 05 AMB DST

Where the rubber meets the road.
Gary Cole

Considered Super Singles a few years ago. Spoke to a truck driver and he said that it was nearly impossible in the event of a blowout to slow down quickly enough to avoid damage to a very expensive wheel. He drove for a tanker company which used super singles on their rigs because they did less damage to gas station asphalt. 

Overheating
millionroy

Recently discovered my overheating 2001 HR 330 ISC had a large hole on the medial (inside) side of the muffler.  Downshifting only made it worse because of course the exhaust was directed directly toward the fan where it was immediately blown into the shroud through the radiator.  Replaced the muffler, drove it up a 3-4 mile incline and never hit 200F.  If not that, the next thing would be cleaning the radiator.  I use Extreme Simple Green. Good luck.

Overheating
Toddgoodwin
8 minutes ago, Gary 05 AMB DST said:

Todd, my temperature will go over 200 then the fan kicks in and it goes down to 180. I have the Cummins add-on thermostatic fan clutch that was installed in 06, 07. Could you have that?

Gary 05 AMB DST

I haven't put one on but it may have been by the last guy.  Also it would not come back down many times without me stopping.

10 minutes ago, millionroy said:

Recently discovered my overheating 2001 HR 330 ISC had a large hole on the medial (inside) side of the muffler.  Downshifting only made it worse because of course the exhaust was directed directly toward the fan where it was immediately blown into the shroud through the radiator.  Replaced the muffler, drove it up a 3-4 mile incline and never hit 200F.  If not that, the next thing would be cleaning the radiator.  I use Extreme Simple Green. Good luck.

I will check the muffler.  Very interesting because my mechanic and I were just talking about how we are coming up to having to change the muffler.

Overheating
RVSSNAKE

On a bright sunny day go inside and lift the engine cover and see if you can see daylight through the radiator.

my guess is you really need to clean it.

I do ours every year and we only put about 4000mi a year on ours.

I use simple green pro HD, It’s purple.

bought a gallon and got a spray bottle full with it.

used about a spray bottle and a half and now can see everything through it.

I use a power washer but you need to be careful and not get too close.

you can damage things.

Overheating
Toddgoodwin
7 minutes ago, RVSSNAKE said:

On a bright sunny day go inside and lift the engine cover and see if you can see daylight through the radiator.

my guess is you really need to clean it.

I do ours every year and we only put about 4000mi a year on ours.

I use simple green pro HD, It’s purple.

bought a gallon and got a spray bottle full with it.

used about a spray bottle and a half and now can see everything through it.

I use a power washer but you need to be careful and not get too close.

you can damage things.

Thank you!  I'll let you know how it goes

Overheating
Wrayj1

John, what PSI pressure washer do you use?

A/C Part Identification
Harvey Babb

I have seen that type of construction on service valves. Some leakage around the stem is normal with them; the cap must be in place and tight in normal operation. I can't see the valve itself in the picture. Does it have a capped off connection on the side? 

Harvey Babb

Showing that temperature may indicate a short in the sensor or wire. I'd disconnect the sensor and see what the temperature indication shows. If it drops to something like a reasonable temperature reading just leave it disconnected.

If you want to connect the new one you can splice in additional wire without fear: the temperature sensors are normally just a thermistor and have no special requirements as far as wiring is concerned. Plain old telephone extension wire should work fine.

Tow Shield
JDCrow
On 6/29/2021 at 1:54 PM, Ivan K said:

We use a custom home made version, they both seem similar but their standard versions would not fit our setup, at least at that time. No chips from the motorhome but it does not protect from ongoing traffic debree. Some windshield sand blasting from the roads we take, assuming from opposite traffic but nothing at the front mask. Not too bad and at least 30k miles later, still good. The middle rod just adds unnecessary work IMO.

20210606_132153.jpg

Is that an H3? Are you using the D-Ring mounts for the tow bar Hook up? 

To unsubscribe *|member_name|* click here:https://www.monacoers.org/settings/?area=newsletters

We welcome your comments and suggestions for our newsletter.  Please send comments to newsletter@monacoers.org 

Copyright © 2020 Monacoers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.